Melbourne Football

New Active Support Group Discussion

Embee

The second is anything too Green Street/Ross Kemp (e.g. Yarra City Service or Swan Street Elite). This should be a terrace for all of our active support to get behind the team, not a hooligan firm. Names like that will put people off joining us and will just be asking for negative treatment from the media. 

I agree with you on the first part but the second part imo you have it wrong. 

Your so called Hooligan Firm names are what attract the younger generation that will stand and sing the terrace in the next 20 years.

Having a Macedonian background I've grown up with this 'hooligan firm' support style, I mean look at RBB & NT. Why do they have numbers? Because the active support style which reflects to your idea of 'hooligan firm/s' attracts people to attend, sing and do whatever a terrace does on game day. 

I'm not saying we need to be 'ultras' or 'hooligans' but adapt to that style of active support (for example over-head clapping, western european & balkan style chants etc)....why? Because i cannot emphasise how much it works. The 'RBB' adapted to this style and it's proven that it works, in their first season they tripled in numbers compared to what Yarraside (no offence) were getting in games.

Which leads to my point... why not have a name like 'Yarra City Service'? The first step to developing into a proper terrace is to pick the right name. 'Yarraside' was perfect for this but we didn't adapt your so called 'Hooligan Firm' style of terrace and even 'Melbourne47' this shits all over 'HeartLand' and prevents us from ending up like the 'Marinators'.

I was talking about the name. I never said we shouldn't have overhead clapping or western european & balkan style chants. We should definitely have these. 

When I say I don't think we should have a name that sounds like a hooligan firm, I don't mean that we shouldn't have Ultra style support. 

I think it has to be said that the words "Service Crew" for most ppl are associated with the Casual Firms from the UK like the Leeds Service Crew (Where the name originated) and not Continental Ultra Supporter Groups.

This is exactly what I was getting at, and what I think we should avoid.

I think it has to be said that the words "Service Crew" for most ppl are associated with the Casual Firms from the UK like the Leeds Service Crew (Where the name originated) and not Continental Ultra Supporter Groups.

Both come under 'terrace culture' one way or another. 

And Black Caviar and a Pinic Meeting Donkey both come under the heading of "Racehorse"...

Trust me - The words "Service Crew" for most Heart fans just bring backs visions of travelling interstate to Adelaide and Sydney and encountering a bunch of idiots with cheap jackets done up over their heads deliberately attacking small groups of away fans because their size may make them easy to bully.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 6

Do you think it would be wise to create a poll after we have narrowed down the name selection.

Personally I like the name M47 has a nice ring to it. But if we want to make this terrace for all supporters a poll would be vital.

A polls definitely the way to go, i'd assume after the meeting tonight or in the not too distant future Jimmy and co will probably put a poll on here

M47, C47, Crazy 47 or just simply anything 47.. If you want a hint of Ultras over the name.

Crazy 47 sounds like a Mexican street gang.

I like yarra city service There's already two groups in this country with service in their name, might be better to keep it original.

• Like 1

The others have the following so I`m sure we can come up with something original

The Shed - Perth

The Cove - Sydney

The Den - Brisbane

Red Army - Inbred fc

Blue White Brigade - Scum fc

Red Black Bloc - Western Sydney

Yellow Fever - Wellington

Squadron - Newcastle

Yellow Army - Central Coast

I always thought it was for a replacement of Yarraside, so both.

Yarraside wasn't a supporter group, it was the collective name for our home-end which was made up of a number of a different supporter groups and active supporters.

At least that's how I always saw it.

Only reason i ask is because the discussion and name suggestions seem to be going in two directions.

Edited by FB.

I always thought it was for a replacement of Yarraside, so both.

Yarraside wasn't a supporter group, it was the collective name for our home-end which was made up of a number of a different supporter groups and active supporters.

At least that's how I always saw it.

Ah you are probably right. But judging the posts on the thread it seems like a new name for the home end. 

What about "The Beat"

Reference to a hearts beat, and a "beat" is also someones turf or territory.

That is a gay club in brisbane  

And how would you know???? Who a gives a fuck how he knows... are you 12.

Ran out of likes

Found this interesting: "The Melbourne tramway network is a major form of public transport in Melbourne, the capital city of the stateof Victoria, Australia. As of May 2014, the network consisted of 250 kilometres of track, 493 trams, 29 routes, and 1,763 tram stops.[3] It is the largest urban tramway network in the world..." [Wikipedia]

How does "The Tramway" sound for a name?

SFC have "The Cove" in reference of Sydney's iconic beaches, why can't we reference what is most iconic of Melbourne City?

'Yarraside' definitely represented "Melbourne", I think 'The Tramway' represents Melbourne just as well.