Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I think it would be harsh to put him in after arriving 5 days before match day with possibly 2 training sessions under his belt.

I think his first game will be at Home vs Newcastle...

All articles on the net suggest otherwise that he is fit and raring to go, I believe his heart is in it and we are going to see something special.

anyone have inside info on when the hell he'll be arriving at Melbourne Airport Im thinking us Melburnians should just rock up and start chanting for him or something like giving the guy a good welcome to the city and our club??

What do you all think?

100%, feel it would be a massive let down if we didn't.

Well in 2001 City played Birmingham in the 1st Division (2nd Tier) and a debutant was one Ali Bernabia.

Now none of us knew anything about the player and he just landed in the morning of the game. Kick off was 12:30

After 90 minutes and a 3-0 win we all knew who he was then. Possibly the best debut I have ever saw.

So all I am basically saying is that Villa can have an impact even though he doesn't know his team mates.

David Villa’s arrival is more significant than Alessandro Del Piero’s, David Davutovic writes.

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

SEPTEMBER 30, 2014

IT may only be a 10-game guest stint, but David Villa’s arrival is the most significant in A-League history.

That’s because clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus and Atletico Madrid will be watching with envy, knowing he’s still capable of leading their respective attacks.

Alessandro Del Piero’s impact was significant, but he was five years older than Villa when he signed for Sydney FC.

At 32 years and 10 months, the Villa that will don Melbourne City’s jersey remains at the peak of his powers.

City is better prepared for his arrival than what Sydney FC was with Del Piero.

Ian Crook struggled dealing with the Italian megastar, while the tension between Del Piero and Frank Farina at times reached boiling point.

While Villa arriving four days out from the opening game is not ideal, he will turn up fit and the City coaching staff has been liaising with him regularly regarding tactics and gameplan.

Such marriages can turn pear-shaped when the superstar doesn’t respect his new surrounds and superiors.

That’s no risk with Villa, for the very reason he signed up to this “irresistible project”.

He has enormous respect for City Football group heavies Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain, who were instrumental in bringing him to Barcelona in 2010.

And having coached the likes of Luis Suarez, Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben, van’t Schip knows how to handle superstars.

Villa is also hungry and determined to prove his detractors wrong.

The MLS and A-League would be seen as pension funds in countries such as Spain.

And his international career ended bitterly, having retired after Spain’s disastrous 2014 World Cup.

Villa’s final game _ ironically against Australia _ finished with a goal and him being substituted early in the second half.

Spain’s all-time leading scorer stormed through the mixed zone post game, refusing interviews.

Insiders claimed he was fuming with Vicente Del Bosque’s decision to use him sparingly, with those 56 minutes his only Brazil action.

And many good judges believe Spain would have made the knockout phase had the veteran played more.

All signs suggest Villa will treat his A-League guest as seriously as last season’s Champions League final against Real Madrid, his last game for Atletico.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villas-arrival-is-more-significant-than-alessandro-del-pieros-david-davutovic-writes/story-fnk6rlg0-1227075627100

Melbourne City loanee David Villa says World Cup goal against Socceroos one of his favourites

MATT WINDLEY

SEPTEMBER 30, 2014

AUSTRALIA, it seems, can bring the best out of David Villa.

The Spanish superstar has won a World Cup and a European Championship, a European Champions League and two La Liga titles with Barcelona and another Spanish league title with Atletico Madrid last season.

His 59 international goals rank him as Spain’s all-time leading scorer, but Villa has revealed his backheeled effort against the Socceroos in the World Cup in June was more memorable than most.

“Yes, that goal is one of my best because it was difficult to execute,” Villa told the Herald Sun.

“It’s a goal I will always remember, because it was so important.”

It will also be remembered as the last goal Villa scored for La Roja as he announced his international retirement, after 97 games, following its World Cup exit.

But A-League fans salivating over the prospect of similarly audacious strikes from Villa in the coming months shouldn’t get too carried away.

The man himself said his Curitiba stunner wasn’t something he practices often.

“No, I use my heel as a resource,” he said.

“In football there are simpler tactics you can use during the game and others you only use as a resource.

“In that case the ball was too far away to strike it in any other way, thank God it went well.”

Asked to talk about the best players he has played with in the Spanish national team, Villa said: “There are a lot.”

“I’ve been really lucky to play with very good players on the national team, if not it would have been impossible for us to have achieved the results that we have,” he said.

“To name a few, who the whole world know; Iniesta, Xavi, Sergio Ramos.

“To name some in other positions - Iker Casillas, Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas. It’s a group of very, very good players.”

So how did Villa’s stint in Melbourne come to be?

Manchester City took over the then-named Melbourne Heart in January.

The English Premier League powerhouse’s other majority-owned club, New York City FC, will make its Major League Soccer debut in the United States next March.

Villa and English great Frank Lampard have signed as New York City designated players - marquee players in an Australian sense - but have been loaned out to Melbourne City and Manchester City respectively until pre-season training begins in the U.S.

New York City sporting director Claudio Reyna said Villa’s time in Melbourne would be important for both he and New York.

“When David joined the club it was important we put together a schedule that ensured he would remain in peak physical condition,” Reyna said.

“This move ensures that David will be as fit as ever, before beginning the training camp with the rest of the NYCFC squad in January 2015.

“David has been working hard in New York but this move gives him the opportunity to play games and test himself in what we know is a very competitive league.”

Villa said he was excited by the opportunity to play in a new environment.

“It’s an important challenge in which nothing will be easy,” Villa said.

“Everything in the world of football is difficult, wherever you are playing. It’s also a wonderful opportunity for me to be able to play in another league and another continent and to help a great club achieve incredible things.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-loanee-david-villa-says-world-cup-goal-against-socceroos-one-of-his-favourites/story-fnk6pqhd-1227075712178

Edited by Murfy1

Well in 2001 City played Birmingham in the 1st Division (2nd Tier) and a debutant was one Ali Bernabia.

Now none of us knew anything about the player and he just landed in the morning of the game. Kick off was 12:30

After 90 minutes and a 3-0 win we all knew who he was then. Possibly the best debut I have ever saw.

So all I am basically saying is that Villa can have an impact even though he doesn't know his team mates.

I Vaguely remember a debut like this for City, Back when they were known as the Yo-Yo club (not now eh )

Best debut i do remember is Micky Quin signing for Newcastle UTD - 4 goals in 80 mins .........

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/david-villa-has-been-secretly-planning-his-aleague-arrival-for-weeks-watching-footage/story-e6frf4gl-1227076078947

DAVID Villa has been secretly planning his A-League onslaught for weeks, watching Melbourne City training and match footage ahead of his arrival on Tuesday. 

City teammate Jonatan Germano has played a key role in the integration process, with the Argentine translating coach John van ‘t Schip’s team tactics in to Spanish for Villa.

Melbourne City yesterday announced Villa, Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer, will take part in the A-League season launch at Etihad Stadium next Tuesday and be available for City’s Round 1 clash with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on October 11.

Villa, 32, told the Herald Sun “it’s an honour” to be considered one of the best players to ever have come to the A-League.

“But I would really like the fans to have the same opinion when I leave based on how I have played,” Villa said.

Top 10 A-League goals

3:35

“For this reason, from the very first day I am in Melbourne, I am going to work hard so that they don’t change their mind and so that they view my time there as something important for their league, for the club and for the sport in general.”

Villa, on loan from fellow Manchester City-owned club New York City FC, can play up to 10 games during his guest stint, in which his wages are paid outside the salary cap.

Asked about the lofty expectations surrounding how many A-League goals he will score, Villa was unperturbed.

Top 10 A-League marquees

2:12

“I am a striker and a striker should always score goals,” he said.

“As well as doing many different things on the field I will try to help the team in the best way possible. Hopefully I will score many goals, because that’s what would be good for the team.”

Throughout September, van ‘t Schip and City coaching staff have been sending footage to Villa, who has been training in New York.

Footage has been combined with audio from Germano, who instructs Villa in Spanish where he needs to be and what he needs to do to fit in to the team’s structure.

“I have been watching the footage of the team’s tactics, their games and their style of play,” Villa said.

“I hope to adapt very quickly in order to be able to help them to become the best team there is and to win as many games as possible.”

Top 10 A-League controversies

2:40

Despite arriving just five days before Melbourne City’s first game, Villa will put his hand up to play.

He will wear the No.9 jersey throughout his A-League stint.

“I’ve enjoyed training in New York but footballers want to play games.

“I feel very fit at the moment and am looking forward to playing and training with the squad.”

Edited by hyperfuzz

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villas-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-could-be-extended-20140930-10nwk7.html?

Some talk there about Villa actually playing more than 10 games. Of course, with Germano seemingly carrying a long-term injury, Villa could also extend his stay as an injury-replacement. And, with a visa place still open, and probably a bit of room under the cap, he could also play a couple of games as a short-term loan player...

Very interesting. Would love to see him play in the Christmas Derby...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villas-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-could-be-extended-20140930-10nwk7.html?

Some talk there about Villa actually playing more than 10 games. Of course, with Germano seemingly carrying a long-term injury, Villa could also extend his stay as an injury-replacement. And, with a visa place still open, and probably a bit of room under the cap, he could also play a couple of games as a short-term loan player...

Very interesting. Would love to see him play in the Christmas Derby...

I have long had in the back of my mind sneaky ways they could use villa more. One of the things I considered was Germano was kept for that exact reason. He is decent when fit and allows an injury replacement outside the cap when on the long term injury list (which would seem highly likely). Despite the fact everyone wanted the last visa spot filled ages ago I think it might be prudent to save it as it has some form of opportunity cost associated with it. Worst case sceanario we can use it to find backup in Jan.

30 SEP 2014 - 11:09PM

CAHILL AMONG MLS HIGH ROLLERS

•  

10682386_10152331442915264_6680078778350
    Tim Cahill takes the fight to Seattle Sounders. (New York Red Bulls)

1/

Australia's Tim Cahill is the eighth highest-paid player in Major League Soccer, earning an annual salary of $3.92 million.
Source 
AAP
30 SEP 2014 - 4:02 PM  UPDATED YESTERDAY 11:09 PM

The Socceroos star, who plays for New York Red Bulls, pockets about half the amount of the league's new biggest earner - Brazilian star Kaka.

According to figures released by the MLS Players Union, Kaka is on a base salary of $7.14 million from Orlando City.

The addition of signing and marketing bonuses take his total earnings to a league-record $7.76 million.

David Beckham previously held the record with his $6.5 million annual wage during a five-year contract with Los Angeles Galaxy which ended in 2011.

Spain's all-time leading goal scorer David Villa's salary with New York City is listed at an unusually-low $64,900.

However, Villa would be collecting an additional salary via his loan deal with A-League outfit Melbourne City.

The figures are the average annual guaranteed compensation players receive - including base salary and a percentage of signing and marketing bonuses. They do not include performance bonuses or loan salaries.

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER'S MILLIONAIRES CLUB 

Kaka, Orlando City: $8.2 million

Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders: $7.6 million

Michael Bradley, Toronto FC: $7.4 million

Jermain Defoe, Toronto FC: $7.1 million

Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy: $5.2 million

Robbie Keane, Los Angeles Galaxy: $4.5 million

Thierry Henry, New York Red Bulls: $4.9 million

Tim Cahill, New York Red Bulls: $4.1 million

Jermaine Jones, New England Revolution: $3.7 million

Marco Di Vaio, Montreal Impact: $2.9 million

Obafemi Martins, Seattle Sounders: $1.99 million

Pedro Morales, Vancouver Whitecaps: $1.6 million

Omar Gonzalez, Los Angeles Galaxy: $1.4 million

Gilberto, Toronto FC: $1.3 million

Liam Ridgewell, Portland Timbers: $1.3 million

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/09/30/cahill-among-mls-high-rollers-3

So according to this, seems like we could be paying him shit loads, in an attempt for NYCFC to keep their salary cap down.....interesting

Edited by AlexDaGroza

•  

1/

Australia's Tim Cahill is the eighth highest-paid player in Major League Soccer, earning an annual salary of $3.92 million.
Source 
AAP

The Socceroos star, who plays for New York Red Bulls, pockets about half the amount of the league's new biggest earner - Brazilian star Kaka.

According to figures released by the MLS Players Union, Kaka is on a base salary of $7.14 million from Orlando City.

The addition of signing and marketing bonuses take his total earnings to a league-record $7.76 million.

David Beckham previously held the record with his $6.5 million annual wage during a five-year contract with Los Angeles Galaxy which ended in 2011.

Spain's all-time leading goal scorer David Villa's salary with New York City is listed at an unusually-low $64,900.

However, Villa would be collecting an additional salary via his loan deal with A-League outfit Melbourne City.

The figures are the average annual guaranteed compensation players receive - including base salary and a percentage of signing and marketing bonuses. They do not include performance bonuses or loan salaries.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/09/30/cahill-among-mls-high-rollers-3

So according to this, seems like we could be paying him shit loads, in an attempt for NYCFC to keep their salary cap down.....interesting

Meaning any further loan back to us would be on the books very cheaply

I think it would be harsh to put him in after arriving 5 days before match day with possibly 2 training sessions under his belt.

I think his first game will be at Home vs Newcastle...

All articles on the net suggest otherwise that he is fit and raring to go, I believe his heart is in it and we are going to see something special.

nice that this isn't a pun anymore, turns out I must have been sick to death of them

•  

1/

Source 
AAP

This is 2014 salaries, not next years - There are only 5 guys on the team sheet so far from NYCFC.

I'm sure it will be updated with revised numbers before next season starts 

Can someone please find out when the hell this guy arrives so we all can rock up?

Someone has to have inside info from club or airport management, anyone works at the airport that can find out??

Perhaps a member of ATC may know? :hmm:

Somewhere between 2am and 4am, and he'll be holding a scarf with his arms up.

• Like 2

Can someone please find out when the hell this guy arrives so we all can rock up?

Someone has to have inside info from club or airport management, anyone works at the airport that can find out??

Perhaps a member of ATC may know? :hmm:

Somewhere between 2am and 4am, and he'll be holding a scarf with his arms up.

BYO towel to Airport Elianid (Eli)?

• Like 1

•  

1/

Source 
AAP

This is 2014 salaries, not next years - There are only 5 guys on the team sheet so far from NYCFC.

I'm sure it will be updated with revised numbers before next season starts 

Kaka's there though. And would it really be surprising that CFG used this loophole to give Villa 20m for a stint here then a 3 year contract at min wage for NYC?

interesting:

Sixty thousand dollars hardly seems to rank as Designated Player money. However, a salary release from Major League Soccer’s Players Union reveals that number to reflect Spanish legend and New York City FC forward David Villa’s salary for the 2014 season.

NYCFC signed Villa in early June, prior to his participation at the World Cup with Spain. He is one of five club players whose salary was made public Monday afternoon, with only the unexplained exclusion of fellow DP Frank Lampard from the list.

Villa’s miniscule $60k salary for 2014 has certainly been received with scrutiny and plenty of speculation.  Teammates and fellow loanees Jeb Brovsky ($119k), Josh Saunders ($48.5k), Kwame Watson-Siriboe ($56.7k) and Andrew Jacobson ($180k) each seem to account for their full value under the salary release while their most valuable player ranks mid-talent amongst this lot.

The most logical explanation for this is the nature of Villa’s loan.  This could very well be another sign of what the City Football Group can do.  CFG has expanded their investment to four teams globally.  The Spanish striker is en route to Australia, ready to meet his new teammates with A-League side — and CFG sister club — Melbourne City.

Through this interwoven relationship, it is safe to assume that NYCFC and CFG are exploiting the A-League’s “guest player” rule for 2014, setting up Villa in Australia and putting the burden of investment on Melbourne.  Either that, or Villa decided to gift the City Group half of year of his services, which of course remains highly unlikely.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting look into the early operations of NYCFC.  While they have already splashed on a pair of Designated Players, their MLS signings show nothing to promote the narrative of a cash-flooded side ready to lavishly throw money at league players.

For comparison’s sake, Jeb Brovsky maintained his salary with the Impact just as Watson-Siriboe did from RSL.   Josh Saunders earned $105k in 2013, but joins NYCFC at less than half that value a year later.  Meanwhile, Andrew Jacobson apparently took a pay cut for the move, going from $212k in Dallas to $180k in New York.

Yes, the money is being spent on the star players, but it is clear NYCFC are also working to put themselves in solid cap position — no matter what next year’s CBA brings.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfcs-payroll-making-29106/

Edited by pattyd89

Would we pretty much win every game that Villa starts in? If so thats 30 points right there.... and potentially more since JVS seemed to indicate he may play more than 10

Where did he indicate he may play more that 10?

It is suggested here: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villas-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-could-be-extended-20140930-10nwk7.html?