Melbourne Football

AFC Asian Cup 2015

Nate

Good going from the organisers of last nights game. Only about 5 windows open out of the 20 or so with 500 people still lining up for tickets after 20 mins into the first half and the line going all the way out to Swan Street. We were waiting for about 20 mins, and ended up leaving as we wouldn't have got in until half time. 

• Like 1

only thing id say in defence is who would have thought  the crowd would be anything like that, I was shocked how many were there.

Didn't help hearing the crowd going crazy while we were waiting and you messaging me saying how good it was inside haha

I'll need to hit the Japan game I think. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

A pity some of you missed it because of the number of walk-ups. We actually thought there were more there than the 17,000+ announced as the official attendance - both of us estimated 20,000.

There didn't seem to be too many Bahreinis there, but there was a huge turn-out of Iranian supporters, and although I'm a neutral it was a bloody good game of football with a lot of atmosphere. These Middle-Eastern players do seem to have a delightful touch on the ball; the Bahreinis in particular weaved some pretty patterns but lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. I thought they might actually go in front, but at the death of the first half they conceded and apart from a flurry at the end didn't really look that dangerous afterwards. Iran were very direct when they broke from defence. Not surprised they're the highest-ranked team in Asia.

All in all another great evening of football. All seven matches for $160 looking to be a real bargain so far!

There was 14k presale tickets so another 3k rocked up. They should expect that amount of people to rock up every game to get tickets.

That 14k figure would have included a large number of 'Venue pack' holders, would be reasonable to estimate that perhaps 50% of those didn't attend imo.

Walkups may have been in excess of 5-6000 I reckon. 

• Like 1

Terrible organisation by Asia Cup ticketing. I had a venue pack, but had been moved for two games. When tickets arrived just before Xmas, I didn't thoroughly check them and on Saturday realised I was missing tix for the games I'd been relocated for. Spent an hour on the phone to Ticketek to be told to get them at the ground. Email from last week said ticket box would open 30 mins before gate, so got there at 5:15 and queued for almost an hour as they didn't open till 6:00. Would have been 30 ahead of me and finally got them at 6:15.

Rang them this morning and waited another 15 mins to tell them of my complaint. Ticketing agencies in Oz are a disgrace, charging ridiculous fees for no service.

Spent more time in queues than the actual game took, but it was worth it as it was a great game and fantastic crowd atmosphere.

I feel like a noob for only just realising this but thought i'd share incase it helps anyone.

I am without foxtel for the Asian cup, however I have a PS4 and Foxtel Go is loaded onto PS4's as an app. If you activate the14 day trial with Foxtel Go you get unlimited Foxtel access for 14 days through your device, then afterwards you can choose to subscribe for $50 a month. This can be shared on 3 devices with 2 devices running Foxtel Go at once. Just thought those without Foxtel would enjoy this over the Asian Cup! Also works on tablets, ipads and Xbox, so get on it just before the Aussie game tonight!

Edited by carlings
  • Like 1

starting XI is out, only question mark in the selection is Massimo Luongo. Hasnt offered much nor has he impressed me from what ive seen at international level so far, although im guessing he must be doing well at club level to get the nod? dont watch many League 1 games

and well done do him! brilliant couple of games and hope he continue his form
  • Like 1

I don't think I will ever see anything quite so cringeworthy in my life compared to what I saw tonight at the game....

A fairly big group of Australians holding Norh Korean flags above their heads, singing and chanting Kim Jong-un chants to the tune of an American Civil War song while doing a Polish inspired Poznan :droy: :droy: :droy::droy::droy::droy:

Drug induced?