Melbourne Football

AFC Asian Cup 2015

Nate

The draw for Australia's biggest football event in our history shall be announced tonight at 7pm, hopefully we don't have a repeat of the Brazil 2014 draw which was filled with what seemed to be a lifetime of weird dancing and fat singers before any actual football content (although Fernanda Lima made it bearable).

Here are the pots:

Pot 1

Australia

Iran

Japan

Uzbekistan

Pot 2

South Korea

United Arab Emirates

Jordan

Saudi Arabia

Pot 3

Oman

China

Qatar

Iraq

Pot 4

Bahrain

Kuwait

North Korea

(Winner of 2014 AFC Challenge Cup)

Depending on whether you want to watch the best quality football or Australia to have the easiest path, the most ideal group would obviously vary from person to person but for mine, I'd love to face up against Saudi Arabia, China and North Korea in the group stage.

Games at AAMI Park

09 Jan 2015
Australia v Kuwait
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

14 Jan 2015
Korea DPR v Saudi Arabia

18 Jan 2015
Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia

16 Jan 2015
Qualifier v Jordan

11 Jan 2015
Iran v Bahrain

20 Jan 2015
Japan v Jordan

Group A

Australia

South Korea

Oman

Kuwait

Group B

Uzbekistan

Saudi Arabia

China

North Korea

Group C

Iran

United Arab Emirates

Qatar

Bahrain

Group D

Japan

Jordan

Iraq

Winner of 2014 AFC Challenge Cup

Good on you for posting this- saves me looknig it up etc!

Comments:

Group B - the group of life!

Might be a struggle to win the group with Sth Korea in there, anyway if we cross over against the winner of "B" thats no big deal.

• Like 1

Games at AAMI Park

09 Jan 2015
Australia v Kuwait

14 Jan 2015
Korea DPR v Saudi Arabia

18 Jan 2015
Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia

16 Jan 2015
Qualifier v Jordan

11 Jan 2015
Iran v Bahrain

20 Jan 2015
Japan v Jordan

Plus the quarter final between the winner of Group A and runner-up of Group B.

Unbelievable that Newcastle earned the right to host both the semi-final and 3rd place match though, NSW-centric FFA up to their old tricks again.

As for my predictions:

Group A

1. South Korea

2. Australia

Group B

1. China

2. Uzbekistan

Group C

1. Iran

2. Qatar

Group D

1. Japan

2. Iraq

Quarter Finals

South Korea vs Uzbekistan

Iran vs Iraq

China vs Australia

Japan vs Qatar

Semi Finals

South Korea vs Iraq

Australia vs Japan

3rd Place

Iraq vs Australia

Final

South Korea vs Japan

Underestimate Iran at your own peril. Have Carlos Queiroz as manager and their WCQ results were pretty impressive. Unlucky that they got drawn in a tough group at the WC because I thought they were a sneaky chance to snatch a point here or there but probably not.

If they still have him as manager I'd back them to go far in this tournament but.

• Like 1

I really do rate Iran, they have some extremely damaging x-factor players in Nekounam, Masoud and Dejagah but I just went for a sneaky Iraq win, it's all pointless speculation anyway as there's way too many variables this early on.

I fancy China as a bit of a smoky though, they have some quality players but just lack that team cohesion and stability but perhaps they can rectify that before the tournament begins.

China vs Australia would be huge considering the amount of Chinese immigrants living here. If I remember correctly, didn't Guangzhou get a big crowd in Gosford last year?

About 9000 which is decent for a Mariners ACL game.

China just would have been a far more interesting opponent than Oman who I swear we've played at least 5 times over the past few years.

China vs Australia would be huge considering the amount of Chinese immigrants living here. If I remember correctly, didn't Guangzhou get a big crowd in Gosford last year?

About 9000 which is decent for a Mariners ACL game.

China just would have been a far more interesting opponent than Oman who I swear we've played at least 5 times over the past few years.

To be fair, that is a fair amount for any A-League team playing in the ACL haha.

Indeed, I am quite sick of Oman. Our group is quite good actually, the only difficulty I can see for us is South Korea.

I am really looking forward to this, going to go to as many games as possible. In for Saudi Arabia vs North Korea ;D

• Like 1

69 dollars for every Melbourne game isn't bad.

You're not wrong! Plus there's some seriously decent group stage games included, would probably only give the Challenge Cup winner vs Jordan game a miss out of all of them.

69 dollars for every Melbourne game isn't bad.

You're not wrong! Plus there's some seriously decent group stage games included, would probably only give the Challenge Cup winner vs Jordan game a miss out of all of them.

Depends who the Challenge Cup winner is. Might go if it is Laos for laughs haha.

• Like 1

I'm going to get that melbourne plus pack, $269 for all melb games plus the two finals in Sydney is awesome value and a great excuse for a trip away. Fingers crossed heart get drawn to play up there the weekend of the 19th then we are really laughing!!

Don't usually care too much for international football but I'm actually a little bit excited for this.

Decent prices for concession but that $69 pack is only $5 cheaper than buying tickets individually, i.e one group match.

Tbh, at $119 the plus pack is pretty tempting but Sydney can go get get fucked (and a week of accom would be pretty expensive - rather spend that on heart away matches)

• 3 weeks later...

Melbourne Pack looks good...

http://tickets.afcasiancup.com/venue-pricing/

Anyone looking at buying this?

Melbourne Pack

7 matches incl. a Quarter Final

Australia vs Kuwait - FRI 9 JAN

IR Iran vs Bahrain - SUN 11 JAN

DPR Korea vs Saudi Arabia - WED 14 JAN

Challenge Cup Winner vs Jordan - FRI 16 JAN

Uzbekistan vs Saudi Arabia - SUN 18 JAN

Japan vs Jordan - TUE 20 JAN

QUARTER FINAL 1 - THU 22 JAN

CAT 3 - $159

CAT 2 - $219

CAT 1 - $299

I'm going for cat 3 @ $159. The Australian game will sell out, so if I only went to that one game it's not too bad. As I live in Richmond it's easy for me to jump on a tram to get to games, so it's great value for me. I went to all the 2000 Olympics games at the MCG and enjoyed most games.

What impact will the Asian Cup have on the A-League season?

Edited by RFC56

Well that was an hour lost! Ticket site wouldn't sell me a single Cat 3 seat. Tried Cat 2, but offering corner seat only which I didn't want as they were crap seats. But it would let me buy 2xCat 1

3 seats, every now and then. Ended up buying the second seat as I thought it was better to get seats that I wanted rather than settle for a bad seat. Didn't want to go to Cat 1 although it would have worked out slightly cheaper. So I spent an extra $100 over Cat 2, but I have a spare seat that I can hopefully sell to recoup some costs. Have seats in bays 38 & 40 (different games).

Edited by RFC56

Can someone please explain to me how on earth we buy these venue packs? 

I'm a member of football family and got the link and my MFN but when I follow the link all I get is the page with the prices but I can't click on anything or do anything.