Melbourne Football

Location of New facilities ?

InMyHeart

Junction Oval is a fantastic call. St Kilda Cricket Club doesn't want to pay the current rent and the funding for any redevelopment has likely dried up.

Decide on what the facilities are going to be before picking a location. A cursory glance at the City video tells me that there's nothing of adequate size anywhere near the CBD. And remember, you're not going to be able to acquire a public open space for the sort of infrastructure required.

Edited by jw1739

Junction Oval is a fantastic call. St Kilda Cricket Club doesn't want to pay the current rent and the funding for any redevelopment has likely dried up.

Decide on what the facilities are going to be before picking a location. A cursory glance at the City video tells me that there's nothing of adequate size anywhere near the CBD. And remember, you're not going to be able to acquire a public open space for the sort of infrastructure required.

I'd suggest they'd prefer a smaller training area instead of being based in the outer suburbs. There are also a lot of space either side of Lakeside drive around Junction Oval too.

The current State and City governments would sell their soul for a few dollars and a campaign donation, so I don't think city will find it hard to get a spot. Although they may not want to pev people off and take it lightly.

High profile parks around the lake will meet strong opposition from residents and existing clubs that use the facility. Also the CFG have said that they are not going to build a mini-man so I suspect that the new training facilities will not be on the scale of Man City.

Presumably they will have an admin building, an associated gym, an outdoor ground, and a pool. Now councils like Maibyrnong have some area (McIvor Reserve) that needs redevelopment, it is adjacent to the Bradbury site which is being converted to housing and as  long as the local clubs get a slice of the action, the council will probably listen gladly as they are severely cashed strapped. It is adjacent to the West Gate bridge, and is serviced by a bus line.

Alternative sites that could be used can be some of the run down/vacant lots along Whitehall st which can do with a complete make over. Again very close to the CBD, serviced by bus lines, etc. So if the new owners are looking at doing a complete redevelopment as they did in Manchester there are plenty of large sites available from defunct industry.

One of the problems with some of the existing grounds is that other clubs also use them. I have it on good authority that once the Bombers moved out of Windy Hill, Melbourne Heart was offered the ground but there was no way that you can have a square field whilst the cricket season was on due to the pitch installed in the middle.

On another thread people mentioned the are across from Costco but all of this land is oowned by Public Transport Authority and they use it to shunt heavy cars and store materials. If you know how to get in there is some great rough terrain to test drive vehicles ;)

• Like 2

Just look at the opposition to the Grand Prix at Albert Park. The ADG (Abu Dhabi Group) won't go near anything that invokes that sort of response. The downside risks in terms of all the xenophobic responses that would arise kill the whole thing. And probably kill Heart as well.

There's plenty of space around, including derelict land, where a development would be welcomed. And based on what we've been told as to how the ADG went about things in Manchester that's the way they will go in Melbourne.

We might even end up at Latrobe.  Enhancement at a higher education facility would be a big positive for such a project.

These guys are ultimate professionals. As DoH says, they didn't buy us on e-Bay. They won't get this wrong.

NewConvert: I've run out of likes for the day. I owe you one.

Edited by jw1739

Jolimont train yards.

Wont happen, that designated public use I think its even been designated to the department that looks over big projects in victoria like the grand prix. Although the current state government has indicated it will give the land to a couple of develops who are just going to fill it with a shopping centre and more appartments I believe.

Unless they specifically want something in the inner city, I wouldn't completely discount Bundoora. The playing fields are already being upgraded and should be ready by next season, and there's plenty of space to build whatever facilities we want. There's a number of advantages that I think outweigh the negative for some people of location.

I suppose with the involvement of Melbourne Storm, we could possibly be based at Aami Park and use Gosh's Paddock like a number of other clubs. But I think it would be better to have the academy, training facilities, and administration in the same place, being used exclusively by us, or at least us and Storm, rather than booking training times around 3 or 4 other clubs at Gosh's Paddock.

Or finally, we can start from scratch somewhere, in which case it's probably anybody's guess. But a lot of the current possible options aren't perfect because they're ovals (Junction Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Brunswick St Oval), in many cases used for cricket or Aussie Rules, and constained by space. Not sure how much available vacant land there is close to the city.

Edited by Sash

Unless they specifically want something in the inner city, I wouldn't completely discount Bundoora. The playing fields are already being upgraded and should be ready by next season, and there's plenty of space to build whatever facilities we want. There's a number of advantages that I think outweigh the negative for some people of location.

I suppose with the involvement of Melbourne Storm, we could possibly be based at Aami Park and use Gosh's Paddock like a number of other clubs. But I think it would be better to have the academy, training facilities, and administration in the same place, being used exclusively by us, or at least us and Storm, rather than booking training times around 3 or 4 other clubs at Gosh's Paddock.

Or finally, we can start from scratch somewhere, in which case it's probably anybody's guess. But a lot of the current possible options aren't perfect because they're ovals (Junction Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Brunswick St Oval), in many cases used for cricket or Aussie Rules, and constained by space. Not sure how much available vacant land there is close to the city.

Agree with the existing AFL ovals. In Footscray, Yarraville, Spotswood and some of Newport there is a lot of derelict buildings that can be demolished and an academy established. Also along the ring road there is still a lot of land. Bundoora is OK and gets the community thing happening - only drawback is trying to ge there if you want to watch training. Admittedly not as far as Epping but....

Haven't been there but what about if we redeveloped epping? Would there be enough room to put in an academy up there?

There is an RSL next to it but I don't know who owns the land.

Based on the level of investment being touted, I think the new owners will look to acquire a large industrial site, that they will transform into their own precinct.

They will need to go through a rezoning process, so they will need good partnerships with the Local Government of the area they choose, as well as State Government.

Looking at the Manchester example, I think they will look within 10km of the city, and at somewhere with good PT and transport connections, perhaps also well located in terms of access to the airport. I think also, they will reserve space on their site for a future stadium.

I think you could get such a site for say $10-$15 million. You'd probably spend that again getting out of the ground.

You can build a full size FIFA 2 star astro turf pitch for around $3 million, so I reckon say 6 pitches, with a youth stadium, head admin building, gym, etc say $50-$60 million ... and then by start up time, you may have spent $100 million.

On cost per year, including the 1st team say $15million.

That's huge dollars, but the owners only need a few players every year or so who go through this system to end up good enough to be worth reasonable money on the transfer market, and given they will be scouting so far and wide, they could potentially start seeing a ROI within 15-20 years.

For our new owners, this type of spend in the context of their net worth is a drop in the ocean ...

Given what they have been prepared to spend on Manchester City, it's low risk chicken feed, that in the end will make them more wealth. These guys really do understand to make money, you need to spend money, and this is what they are doing right now globally, and before the oil dries up.

I reckon things would be advancing behind the scenes rapidly at State level and I can't wait to find out how things play out.

As an aside, one thing I hope our new owners strive for is the inaugural FFA cup. To win this would be historic.

Edited by Torn Asunder

The area near Scienceworks is idela and last time I went through there it seems that it was all being demolished. Close to Spotswood train and bus station, below the West gate Bridge (Williamstown road exit) so that the Melbourne City Logo can be displayed prominently.

The only drawback is the clean up costs some of these sites have. The former Simco site was sold to the state government for a nominal $1 but the clean up costs are estimated to be $250M!.

Local councils should not be a problem because they are currently losing revenue from the site rates and they would love to have long term tenants there.

I am not sure why you would need 6 pitches - I would have thought 2 to be sufficient plus one for goal keeping.

There is one other thing that seems to be a constant theme running through this forum and that is that just because a Sheik worth $billions that somehow he is going to pour incredible amounts of money into Melbourne City. A ROI of 15-20 years is astounding - pare it back to 5 to 8 years making it on par with oil/mineral extraction greenfield sites.

As a westie I certainly would love for the club to find a home here.

• Like 2

The area near Scienceworks is idela and last time I went through there it seems that it was all being demolished. Close to Spotswood train and bus station, below the West gate Bridge (Williamstown road exit) so that the Melbourne City Logo can be displayed prominently.

The only drawback is the clean up costs some of these sites have. The former Simco site was sold to the state government for a nominal $1 but the clean up costs are estimated to be $250M!.

Local councils should not be a problem because they are currently losing revenue from the site rates and they would love to have long term tenants there.

I am not sure why you would need 6 pitches - I would have thought 2 to be sufficient plus one for goal keeping.

There is one other thing that seems to be a constant theme running through this forum and that is that just because a Sheik worth $billions that somehow he is going to pour incredible amounts of money into Melbourne City. A ROI of 15-20 years is astounding - pare it back to 5 to 8 years making it on par with oil/mineral extraction greenfield sites.

As a westie I certainly would love for the club to find a home here.

+1

City of Melbourne should be doing what they can to make it happen. If not EGate, then somewhere in Docklands or Fishermans Bend in an attempt to inject some life into the area.

Fremantle Dockers had City of Cockburn and City of Fremantle basically fighting over each other to get their new state of the art training facility in their suburbs.

We could hijack Demons plans:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-for-docklands-elliott-20120920-269jf.html

Edited by hedaik

City of Melbourne should be doing what they can to make it happen. If not EGate, then somewhere in Docklands or Fishermans Bend in an attempt to inject some life into the area.

Fremantle Dockers had City of Cockburn and City of Fremantle basically fighting over each other to get their new state of the art training facility in their suburbs.

We could hijack Demons plans:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-for-docklands-elliott-20120920-269jf.html

E Gate is the most logical spot. It's a dump and our initiative could inject so much into the area.

One pitch for the seniors, one for the reserves, one for the women's team, then at least 2-3 for academy teams. 6 sounds conservative. The academy we're building in Manchester has 16.

One pitch for the seniors, one for the reserves, one for the women's team, then at least 2-3 for academy teams. 6 sounds conservative. The academy we're building in Manchester has 16.

We are used to thinking that 1 training pitch is an unaffordable luxury!

People have been trying to build stuff on the E-Gate for quite some time. If I remember correctly there were plans for a boutique AFL ground around there that got scrapped. It is probably as close to the city as we are gonna get, and it will inject some life in that area, the State Government could be convinced to give us the land if we use that excuse haha.

I always thought where the current Richmond Soccer Club, Kevin Bartlett Reserve would be a great spot, but I can't see pro-AFLers giving away the "Kevin Bartlett" sporting reserve to "sockah"!

Then I thought we may as well buy the current Melbourne City FC and locate our training base there, but I think it's too small...So how about this place; Donald McLean Reserve - It's even on Melbourne Road!  ;)

post-2233-0-78168900-1390812241_thumb.jp

Edit: It's even near Spotswood train station so easily accessible to fans et al by public transport, unlike Epping Stadium.

Edited by Red or Dead

Are there any derelict areas of Melbourne that are just sitting there being unused and unloved?  The Etihad campus is on the site of a former mine (obviously with a huge mine shaft) and Chemical factory.  The land needed cleaning up and the company hired to cap the mine shaft actually had to develop a pioneering technique to do the job.  It's now so safe you can build a mini skyscraper over it if required.

Basically the aim was to regenerate an area of Manchester which was neglected and invest in the local community as well as getting the facility they wanted (some of the Campus is available for local use).

i forgot to mention, they are big on their partnerships as well, so expect to see the local authorities being heavily included and any plans or initiatives they might have being incorporated.

Edited by Viva el City

Correction. A FLAT training pitch is an unaffordable luxury hahahahaha

Correction. A FLAT training pitch is an unaffordable luxury hahahahaha

especially  one that isn't a swamp

The way Melbourne is designed, the most accessible  place would be centrally or as close to it as possible. Can see somewhere in the inner west being used like where science works is as suggested above. 

Accessible for whom though? If the logistics of the current set-up are an issue for our players and coaches (similar to the whispers of discontent that is often heard from St Kilda players, regarding the move from Moorabbin to Seaford), then I agree, it's something that the club should seriously consider. Ask our experienced players and our stars about it and listen to them. Is it a major issue for potential recruits, compared to where Victory gets to train (the location, not the facilities).

But if the players and coaches don't have an issue with making the trip for training, I don't think it necessarily has to be located centrally.