Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

This is pretty bleak.

Our losses are likely to hit us hard. More than likely to lose 5 of our best 6 players: Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo, Kisnorbo already lost Wilkinson. Sorensen to stay.

Blue players - usual starting 11.

Red players - mostly starting 11 players

2015-16 SQUAD

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/16

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17

Defenders.
Connor Chapman        31/5/19.

24                    Patrick Kisnorbo          31/5/16. Likely gone.
22                    Jack Clisby                  31/5/18.

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.
3                      Aaron Hughes (V)        31/5/16.
Has to be gone.

11                    Michael Zullo                31/5/16.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Alex Wilkinson           31/5/16.
Gone

Midfielders.
19                    Ben Garuccio               31/5/17.
8                      Aaron Mooy (M)           31/5/18. Probably gone.
25                    Jacob Melling               31/5/18.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.

16                    Jason Trifiro                 31/5/16. Possibly gone.
Anthony Caceres         31/5/16 (loan - Manchester City)

Forwards.
14                    James Brown                31/5/16. Likely gone.
26                    Marc Marino                  31/5/16.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17.

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17. Likely gone.

17                    Wade Dekker                31/5/16. Probably gone.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)        31/5/17. Probably gone.
Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/16.

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/16

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17

Defenders.
Connor Chapman        31/5/19.

24                    Patrick Kisnorbo          31/5/16. Likely gone.

3                     Manny Muscat              ??????

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.

11                    Michael Zullo                31/5/16.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18.

Midfielders.
8                      Aaron Mooy (M)           31/5/18. Probably gone.

29                    Anthony Caceres         31/5/16 (loan - Manchester City)

Forwards.

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17. Likely gone.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)        31/5/17. Probably gone.
Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/16.

Fitzgerald hopefully in permanently. Im guessing Cristaldo will be a replacement for Marino or Dekker

A lot of UK Aussies may look to come back home, including Good, Ryan WIlliams and Neil Kilkenny

2016-17 SQUAD TO DATE

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/17

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19.

24                    Patrick Kisnorbo            31/5/16.

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.

11                    Michael Zullo                 31/5/16.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18.
                        Manny Muscat             31/5/18.

Midfielders.
8                      Aaron Mooy (M)           31/5/18.

29                    Anthony Caceres           31/5/16.  On loan from Manchester City.

Forwards.

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)       31/5/17.
27                    Nick Fitzgerald                31/5/16.

Bold: Under contract for 2016/17

Italics: Out of contract - no word from club to date

The fact that two senior assistant coaches are leaving has to be a hint that JVS is gone too, right?

Content with the player terminations too, although Dekker and Marino could be considered unlucky since they were never really able to get more than a glimpse of first team action with Fornaroli doing what he did. 

Going to be reeeeeally interesting to see what we do this off-season, the expectations are lofty.

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

The fact that two senior assistant coaches are leaving has to be a hint that JVS is gone too, right?

Content with the player terminations too, although Dekker and Marino could be considered unlucky since they were never really able to get more than a glimpse of first team action with Fornaroli doing what he did. 

Going to be reeeeeally interesting to see what we do this off-season, the expectations are lofty.

For me it screams that JVS is gone. Give the new manager a clean slate 

32 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I'm surprised about Marino and dekker

Me too, especially Marino.

25 minutes ago, Dylan said:

For me it screams that JVS is gone. Give the new manager a clean slate 

We all hope so, but I would rather these list management issues were overseen by our next manager, not decided before he gets here. There are no first team coaches currently at the club but player contract decisions are being made in bulk.

Assuming the tanned one is gone of course.

Edited by Jacques Le Cube
I'm dumb

1 minute ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Me too, especially Marino.

We all hope so, but I would rather these list management issues were overseen by our next manager, not decided before he gets here. There are no first team coaches currently at the club but player contract decisions are being made in bulk.

well, there's still one very tanned first team coach at the club

The correct calls to release Brown, Hughes and Trifiro. I thank all three for their services and wish them the best with whatever they do from here, unfortunately all three just weren't good enough.

Dekker is an interesting call, he's now 22 so can't exactly play the youth card anymore. It appears Bruce Kamau who's 12 months younger yet still far more proven will be coming in, I would expect Fitzy to re-sign and we cannot forget Corey Gamerio will return from injury next season. Even if Harry goes we would sign a new replacement for him, Dekker isn't going to take spot! I just don't know if we could merit a position in the squad for Dekker. The abundance of forward options may have also been the thought process behind releasing Marino but I really rate him a player he was finally making his break through into our team nek minnet (I'm sorry :P ) he's been released.

I'm only a little surprised that both Marino and Dekker have both been released. Even if they had been retained I don't think either would have been starting players for next season, and the nature of the A-League these days is such that you need a strong bench if you are to challenge for silverware. In general terms we've had a weak bench this season, and many's the time I've shuddered when I've looked at it - kids and make-weights. Just off the top of my head players such as Castelen, Santalab and Henrique have come off other benches to be match-winners for their clubs.
Everyone's governed by the salary cap, and in the future we have to aim for a squad with more depth.

37 minutes ago, silva10 said:

It does seem the planning has began. Hopefully it is clearing the decks for a new coach to bring his players in.

So is it common for a club to sell players from under a coach without his input even while he's still employed? Or if he is going to be sacked then why not make this announcement in the first place before announcing these player terminations? Why not wait until the new coach comes in to decide who he wants or doesn't want? 

Unless these directives are coming from some phantom coach that hasn't been appointed yet my guess would be that JVS is behind these players being removed from the club. Which means he will be here next season. 

Edited by n i k o

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So is it common for a club to sell players from under a coach without his input even while he's still employed? Or if he is going to be sacked then why not make this announcement in the first place before announcing these player terminations? Why not wait until the new coach comes in to decide who he wants or doesn't want? 

Unless these directives are coming from some phantom coach that hasn't been appointed yet my guess would be that JVS is behind these players being removed from the club. Which means he will be here next season. 

Of course it could be JVS decision to get rid of these players. I am just hoping he is going just like quite a few on here.

Just now, belaguttman said:

If Dekker and Marino are being released then at least it's a sign that the franchise has set the bar higher. That has to be a good thing of they stay consistent and avoid the over 35 year olds

IMO ManC want to loan us an EDS player. Central Coast also want FFA to loosen up on loans because of their link with Everton, which was stymied by "Lampard."

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

If Dekker and Marino are being released then at least it's a sign that the franchise has set the bar higher. That has to be a good thing of they stay consistent and avoid the over 35 year olds

We need quality yoof 

Football operations manager John Didulica, head of talent recruitment Michael Petrillo and CFG's managing director of football services Brian Marwood can handle Melbourne City's recruitment. The coach probably gives the final word of approval, but I'd say these three influence recruiting so much that they could do some basic recruiting (e.g. move on deadwood like Aaron Hughes and James Brown, and re-sign a cheap backup GK in Bouzanis) if there was no coach.

Whatever's exactly Melbourne City's byzantine organisational structure, they better do some recruiting quickly, because there's not that many good Australian players out there and we can't afford for them all to get snapped up by other clubs. Losing Wilkinson to Sydney, signing Manny Muscat and seemingly not being in the race for decent talent like Devante Clut (signed by Newcastle today) is an uninspiring start to Melbourne City's recruitment for the 2016/17 season. The only decent free agents left IMO are Dylan McGowan, Bruce Kamau, Steven Lustica and Mitchell Oxborrow (which isn't exactly a super list of players). It would also help the club recruit members for next season if the club was known to be active and ambitious in the transfer market, rather than reactive and penny-pinching. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1