Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Melbourne City Football club
Professional Sports Team · 444 Likes
Melb City FC: 

The Melbourne City Football Club wishes to announce to our members, fans, players and public the club will dispute any trademark lodged applications from the Melbourne Heart football club. 

We will not surrender our club name. 

Thank you 

MC FC

May be a few issues with the new name given a club already exists with the title. Perhaps as Ando mentioned, Heart of Melbourne City FC?

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see the look on Peter Sidwell's face when he discovered that he had just sold his franchise to Man City :D

Hopefully now we have the budget to seriously look at a stellar coach like Bielsa

or to see how surprised he was to see a 6 million dollar profit from the sale

Righto here is my crack at the re-brand, trying to strike the right balance between past and future.

Melbourne City FC is a great name, but the Heart can and should be maintained as a nickname, and really the terrace has the power do do that (similar to Adelaide being the Reds).

The colours should remain red and white but don't be surprised if sky blue becomes our third colour in some sense.

The badge. Hardly a timeless design and would need a total revamp if the name is changed. 

So here are my ideas.:

Melbourne City FC. "The Heart"

Use a round badge with the logo using the Melbourne City flag's cross with a sky blue heart in the middle. (If we needed pointless symbolism make the sky blue representing Melbourne's stature as the world's most liveable city).

Home Kit: Loved this year's fan design and if we are allowed to keep our colours I think our owners would like to see more white less red.

Away Kit: Yes a genuine away kit where we wear it at every away match. This gives the club the opportunity to wear the sky blue and keep the owners happy somewhat.

Third Kit: Red and charcoal to acknowledge our traditional third kit colours.

*Manchester City sponsors used for illustrative purposes.

mcfcds_zpsc844c5f4.png

• Like 5

Waking up with missed calls from all my mates wondering what all the fuss is about, then i wake up too this. i actually cannot fucking believe it... stunned to say the least, but fuck me i have never been so excited/happy for the club... FUCK YES

you woke up at 2? At 1230* Pre-season training got the better of me.

Whoaa, spend the morning looking after your kid, check the web in the afternoon and find your club had been totally transformed in one morning. My only concern is a potential colour change. As a QLDer I would really struggling supporting a team in sky blue.

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 1

Melbourne City are in what? The 5th flight of Victorian Football? I am not sure that will get in the way of this owner if he wants the name,

Yeh, I don't think they stand a chance. There may not even be a legal issue here given the club (Heart) seemed to have successfully trademarked the name recently.

Whoaa, spend the morning looking after your kid, check the web in the afternoon and find your club had been totally transformed in one morning. My only concern is a potential colour change. As a QLDer I would really struggling supporting a team in sky blue.

Hey!a fellow Queenslander! I would really struggle supporting a sky blue team

Hey!a fellow Queenslander! I would really struggle supporting a sky blue team

To quote Rockwell from Galaxy Quest - "It's just not right".

Name change would be very welcome.

I will never call the team Melbourne city, what a joke. We have just lost our club, we are now just a small part of Manchester city's master plan for world domination. Success mag we'll come as a result but we have just lost who we are, I feel that my club which I feel a strong part of is being taken away.

And to all of those who are suddenly posting now about how they would like for the name to be changed to Melbourne city and that this will be brilliant for the club. What does this club even mean to you? It is being stopped to pieces in front of you and you are sucking in this media crap. Stand up for the pride of you club. Do not let you're heart be stopped of what little identity and pride remains.

Come on you hearts- Melbourne is Red and White

• Like 3

My season ticket is going in the bin. I move all the way from Manchester, follow the United colors, and i still cant get rid of the Berty Blue nose City scum!!  :angry:

My City mates from Manchester are already taking the piss. I hate you City!!! :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I'm devastated, I'm distraught. I want 4 oclock to come early at work so i can go home and cry. :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

• Like 2

Followed Spurs all my life had the same problem. Felt dirty wearing red and white but it soon passed.  :)

Melbourne City Football club
Professional Sports Team · 444 Likes

Melb City FC: 

The Melbourne City Football Club wishes to announce to our members, fans, players and public the club will dispute any trademark lodged applications from the Melbourne Heart football club. 

We will not surrender our club name. 

Thank you 

MC FC

May be a few issues with the new name given a club already exists with the title. Perhaps as Ando mentioned, Heart of Melbourne City FC?

How about Man City just buys out Melbourne City FC too and their club and we can build our training base where they're currently located :-)

• Like 1

I will never call the team Melbourne city, what a joke. We have just lost our club, we are now just a small part of Manchester city's master plan for world domination. Success mag we'll come as a result but we have just lost who we are, I feel that my club which I feel a strong part of is being taken away.

And to all of those who are suddenly posting now about how they would like for the name to be changed to Melbourne city and that this will be brilliant for the club. What does this club even mean to you? It is being stopped to pieces in front of you and you are sucking in this media crap. Stand up for the pride of you club. Do not let you're heart be stopped of what little identity and pride remains.

Can I please ask what our current identity and pride truly is?

the only pride I have is with the fans, who (the majority) will still be there as passionate as ever.

The club has done absolutely nothing for us and our current identity is to be the equal worst team in A-League history..

We are 4 years in and whilst we are all growing into the club (use that term very loosely, more a franchise) we're still young enough to change and build a different future.

We have ambition now, and as long as things such as colours and the Y-Side's strong relationship with the board (much stronger than across town) are continued I'm all for it.

• Like 2

Please brush up on your Australian Soccer History.

All of Australia's oldest soccer clubs have changed their names, in fact many of them literally did the same thing as what has reported and changed their names to include "City” or “Utd” to the end of their locations name. Melbourne Knights, Adelaide City, South Melbourne FC, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United, Heildlberg United, Brisbane Roar, Newcastle United Jets FC... the list of changed names goes on and on...

Edited by cadete

Our current identity and pride as supporters is that we stand together through thick and thin. We do not follow some corporate mega club live Melbourne victory and that we have remained loyal and passionate to our team.

Melbourne heart is my main team in world sport. I may be one of few who share this belief but it should be completely acceptable. Lads come on, would it be that unreasonable to want our club to reap the benefits of new owners while keeping our name and colors. If you are going to change that you may as we'll fold the club and start again.

Unfortunately though, it seems the idiots at the club do not respect the loyal and diehard supporters and are rather interested in making as much money as possible through selling their clubs soul.

• Like 1

This is the A-League mate, you're talking as if the club is 100 years old and was founded on principles/causes that were beyond the game. I bet you didn't give a toss when the NSL clubs and ethnic clubs were made to change their names, logos and identity. 

This is entirely different. We're talking about a club that is into its 4th season, yet barely surviving. The way it was going, they had no ambitions or anything, they were just there to fill a gap. The only breach of identity that is not acceptable is a change of the home kit colours. They must stay predominantly red and white. As for the name change and potential logo change, it will mark a new start. Not to mention Melbourne City Football Club sounds a lot more professional than some of the mickey mouse names going around in the A-League. Hearts is perfect as a nickname, and I'm sure that will live on in the supporters.

This is the A-League mate, you're talking as if the club is 100 years old and was founded on principles/causes that were beyond the game. I bet you didn't give a toss when the NSL clubs and ethnic clubs were made to change their names, logos and identity.

This is entirely different. We're talking about a club that is into its 4th season, yet barely surviving. The way it was going, they had no ambitions or anything, they were just there to fill a gap. The only breach of identity that is not acceptable is a change of the home kit colours. They must stay predominantly red and white. As for the name change and potential logo change, it will mark a new start. Not to mention Melbourne City Football Club sounds a lot more professional than some of the mickey mouse names going around in the A-League. Hearts is perfect as a nickname, and I'm sure that will live on in the supporters. You raise very good points. I'm just very frustrated at the knowledge that our Melbourne team will be effectively an entity of another professional football club.

Edited by True Until I die

I think the name change is good, It's a proper football name! As is expected and what people have been saying, we'll forever be known as 'Heart' or 'the Hearts' and I'm sure the Yarraside will drive that. As long as they don't change our colours, I'll be happy and I'd consider it a perfect outcome.

Our current identity and pride as supporters is that we stand together through thick and thin. We do not follow some corporate mega club live Melbourne victory and that we have remained loyal and passionate to our team.

Melbourne heart is my main team in world sport. I may be one of few who share this belief but it should be completely acceptable. Lads come on, would it be that unreasonable to want our club to reap the benefits of new owners while keeping our name and colors. If you are going to change that you may as we'll fold the club and start again.

Unfortunately though, it seems the idiots at the club do not respect the loyal and diehard supporters and are rather interested in making as much money as possible through selling their clubs soul.

I would love to see you tell SUS that they no longer support the same club as Sydney Croatia due to the club's name change in the 90's.

Well if the new owners stick to bringing in young players(which sounds like a new academy is the first thing off the rack) and play sophisticated European football as seems to be the stated philosophy of the City group then I think they are sticking to the clubs stated identity. A name change for me is not a massive issue, but thats me.

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 1