Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

As you know Falastur, CFG are annoyingly secretive, amazingly long term in their plans, utterly professional and almost unlimitedly funded.. and that´s their worst side ;)

To be honest the board looks like what you might expect of any multinational company, Two Abu Dhabi citizens (Chairman and representing Etihad), two British (accountant and communications), an American (real estate lawyer), an Italian (Industry) and a company secretary (probably British lawyer) as well.

Hello All,

Welcome to the Man City family.

Not much to add on top of what other City fans have said other than to say I hope you keep your colours if thats what you want.

Enjoy the ride,its like the school bully has just found out hes not the biggest in the playground....you are....but your not a bully!

Would you have supported City if the colours and name changed when the takeover happened?

This goes for all the City fans on the forum.

Melbourne Heart's name and colours haven't changed.

• Like 1

John Cain? Id be suprised if this happend if the owners wanted to make it private use only. The FFV is based there along with northcote city (that's their grandstand in the pic) along with the state cycling centre. But hey, it's a great spot?

Edited by Dylan

Gerry Ryan (chief associate of Bart Campbell in the 20% share) is heavily involved with cycling, indeed owner of the Orica-GreenEDGE racing team and President of Cycling Australia. Might ease the cycling part of a deal...

I would also have assumed that Northcote City are tenants rather than owners. Can't really see that as a major impediment. They could continue pro tem and the a nice little cash injection could help them move if a move becomes desirable.

City are fairly used to ground-sharing in this manner. Our EDS team (essentially an U-21/reserve cross) have been using Hyde F.C.'s ground for the last 3-4 seasons now, and our charity arm is actually Hyde's kit sponsor. I can't see why City would have any issue with allowing Northcote to continue using the facilities - they may even find that City do up the stadium substantially for them while lowering the rent, or somesuch kind of deal.

City are fairly used to ground-sharing in this manner. Our EDS team (essentially an U-21/reserve cross) have been using Hyde F.C.'s ground for the last 3-4 seasons now, and our charity arm is actually Hyde's kit sponsor. I can't see why City would have any issue with allowing Northcote to continue using the facilities - they may even find that City do up the stadium substantially for them while lowering the rent, or somesuch kind of deal.

FYI this is the ground that our youth team used in its first season. It would certainly need upgrading if Heart takes it over. The grandstand is old and the social facilities underneath are pretty basic. There's no real development around the other three sides of the ground - just a grass bank on the side opposite the stand. The brick building you can see at the corner of the ground is the change-rooms. I've not been inside but they are not impressive from the outside. To the right of the picture (not shown) is the "stadium" car park, and then a residential street with houses on the other side; they basically look out of their front windows on to the back of the stand.

I can imagine that the ground might be turned by 90 degrees and then developed if we buy the property. The amenity of the neighbours would be improved if we did that. And I would think Northcote would be overjoyed at sharing better facilities.

The only negative I can see to this is the absence of rail access. But overall it looks pretty good.

I can hardly believe that our dream of "Heartlands" might actually come true...

• Like 1

It seems like the area Man city would go for...I guess it all depends how much money they will dangle infront of Darebin council. Ive played there a couple of times and they currently have those hideous synthetic fields which has that black rubber crap that looks like small bits of asphalt through it. Like falastur said if Man City have a history of sharing grounds then it seems feasible and will keep the old dudes at the bowls club happy. Oh and is it really 8.5kms from the CBD? it seems alot closer than that. 

Edited by Dylan

It seems like the area Man city would go for...I guess it all depends how much money they will dangle infront of Darebin council. Ive played there a couple of times and they currently have those hideous synthetic fields which has that black rubber crap that looks like small bits of asphalt through it. Like falastur said if Man City have a history of sharing grounds then it seems feasible and will keep the old dudes at the bowls club happy. Oh and is it really 8.5kms from the CBD? it seems alot closer than that. 

It seems further than that to me!

Actually it's 10km from the corner of Collins St and Queen St!

Not a bad site. There are two industrial sites on the East and North that could be utilised, Fairfield railway station isn't too far away and what if we got the old outer circle railway back? Then it would be easily accessible from most of Melbourne including the Southern and Eastern suburbs

There is also a tram that stops at the imperial

• Like 1

FYI this is the ground that our youth team used in its first season. It would certainly need upgrading if Heart takes it over. The grandstand is old and the social facilities underneath are pretty basic. There's no real development around the other three sides of the ground - just a grass bank on the side opposite the stand. The brick building you can see at the corner of the ground is the change-rooms. I've not been inside but they are not impressive from the outside. To the right of the picture (not shown) is the "stadium" car park, and then a residential street with houses on the other side; they basically look out of their front windows on to the back of the stand.

I can imagine that the ground might be turned by 90 degrees and then developed if we buy the property. The amenity of the neighbours would be improved if we did that. And I would think Northcote would be overjoyed at sharing better facilities.

The only negative I can see to this is the absence of rail access. But overall it looks pretty good.

But is there space for a purpose built "wheel supported green portable ice bath recovery unit" storage area?  We will need to bring these prize assets with us when we re-locate!

But is there space for a purpose built "wheel supported green portable ice bath recovery unit" storage area?  We will need to bring these prize assets with us when we re-locate!

we can use them to store all our extra trophies that don't fit in the display cabinets

post-653-0-28562700-1392443040_thumb.jpg

Edited by belaguttman

Exciting stuff.  Can't wait for a permanent home we can be proud of.

My local council owns the land, doubt its for sale, as the council's books are very healthy (you should see my house rates) and more importantly the present lessee is Northcote City Footbal club whom have done reasonably well in the State league competiton.  They've just been accepted by FFV to be part of the new NPL competition this year.  A dual lease agreement may be reached, rather than a buyout.  Great location, lots of potential.  The only pool facitiities that I'm aware of is Ivanhoe pools, which is only a short drive.  Or will City owners look to develop... possible industrial sites over the road who can make some way at the right price!

I can confirm the main ground is sub-standard, the stadium is small, average and old.  I have heard there's no FIFA endorsed synthetic grounds in Victoria!  But the main ground is crapy turf and I believe there's one other that borders the Darebin Creek thats also turf (I cycle past it on my way to work).  The Harvest Rd Epping stadium (Whittlesea Ranges NPL new ground) is significantly better but a bit remote for many of our supporters.  Personally, I couldn't care less where it is, so long as we are accessable to as many Melbournians as possible. 

Some info from Darebin council:

John Cain Memorial Park
Darebin International Sports Centre
Darebin Road, Thornbury
Melway Reference: 31 A6

John Cain Memorial Park is a 17 hectare sporting reserve named after John Cain Senior former Premier of Victoria. The park was redesigned in 2004 to accommodate improved soccer, lawn bowls and cycling facilities and is now a major sporting venue.
Activities

The Darebin International Sports Centre (DISC) is located at John Cain Memorial Park and is home of the State Lawn Bowls Centre, State Cycling Centre and State Soccer Centre. The Centre is one of the most important sporting precincts in Victoria and hosted the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Lawn Bowls Competition.

DISC is owned and maintained by Darebin City Council and key facility user groups have specific responsibilities and management obligations for aspects of facility operation.

Edited by Pandev

It would need major redevelopment to get it to the standard I believe the new owners would want. Might as well just get a vacant chunk of land. Though maybe this is the closest thing to a vacant chunk of land they can get that's relatively close to the city and usable for their purpose.

Better! City can offer you the very latest in wheel-supported, green portable ice bath recovery units, to be installed in their own special area. They even come in multiple varieties:

57_FL%20Bins%20all%20sizes%202%20BR%20cr

• Like 1

Due to our city centric transport system the best spot for a ground will always be somewhere very close to the city centre. However, if that is not possible and, bearing in mind that the centre of Melbourne's population is somewhere around Glen Waverley, the ideal would seem to be somewhere towards that area of Melbourne which is well served by transport (particularly trains and trams). This would also be very convenient for me.

Better! City can offer you the very latest in wheel-supported, green portable ice bath recovery units, to be installed in their own special area. They even come in multiple varieties:

Now we're talking. Custom fitted for Engelaar, Kewell, and Mifsud.

• Like 3

The last one is a bit big for Mifsud.  :P

John Cain? Id be suprised if this happend if the owners wanted to make it private use only. The FFV is based there along with northcote city (that's their grandstand in the pic) along with the state cycling centre. But hey, it's a great spot?

From what I know the FFV are actually keen to sell. But I can't see there being any problem in some of the grounds still being hired out through MH? As for the Northcote City issue I could imagine that being one of the big hurdles and considering they are a VPL club I can't imagine they will be pushed out easily. But in terms of location, facilities and room for improvement I think it could be a winner. 

I used to work at DISC a couple of years ago. This was before I was a Heart member, but youngish kids wearing Heart gear were always around the centre. I've always just assumed it was some sort of base for our youth/development players (I've never really taken much notice about what our training facilities and base have consisted of).

I think it's a great location (though the other poster was right in suggesting that the surface would need a lot of work) and 8.5-10km to the city sounds about right to me. Thing is though, having done the after work Friday night drive in to the MCG on many occasions, it's a very easy/quick 8.5-10km drive to get in, even in peak hour.

The last one is a bit big for Mifsud.  :P

A Citeh fans house in Mad-chester  :lol:

FFS they changed the rules to just 4 visa players for the 15/16 season.

What a stupid decision by the FFA. Going to bring down the quality of the league. 

Clearly its a decision that has been made with a long term vision in mind and not for the immediate short term...

What a stupid decision by the FFA. Going to bring down the quality of the league. 

Will help the teams who have better scouting (like us) and not waste any of their visa spots.

FWIW the NSL had a lot less Visa Players/Non International Marquees and despite being Semi Professional saw a level of Soccer that is only now in the last two or so years been surpassed by the Professional A-League.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Clearly its a decision that has been made with a long term vision in mind and not for the immediate short term...

Spot on.

Apart from having a professional competition in Australia one of the major goals of the A-league is to contribute to the production of better Australian Footballers in the long term. Reducing the VISA spots will temporarily weaken the squads available but will assist in more Australian footballers coming through the league, especially those at a young age where development is crucial.

Every team in this league seems to consistently waste at least 1 VISA spot on a player who doesn't deserve a place in an A-League squad above a young Australian player, so it probably won't even weakn the quality that much anyway.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1