Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

For those in the sunny UK getting up early and streaming the game V Adelaide, top right hand corner of your screen will be the Away Bay, so you can get a glimpse of your new Melbourne mates. 

Mon Heart

Make sure you give us a wave!  I will have just about woken up properly by kickoff time (what's with that wierd half hour thing in Adelaide?  It nearly did my head in when working out the time difference)

I think Brisbane is half hour behind us with Adelaide and Perth is two hours behind us but our daylight saving they become three. Not sure if Perth has daylight savings? Wellington is in front of us not sure how many hours.  :)

For those in the sunny UK getting up early and streaming the game V Adelaide, top right hand corner of your screen will be the Away Bay, so you can get a glimpse of your new Melbourne mates. 

Mon Heart

Make sure you give us a wave!  I will have just about woken up properly by kickoff time (what's with that wierd half hour thing in Adelaide?  It nearly did my head in when working out the time difference)

I think Brisbane is half hour behind us with Adelaide and Perth is two hours behind us but our daylight saving they become three. Not sure if Perth has daylight savings? Wellington is in front of us not sure how many hours.  :)

Yes,the times are confusing. But we don't usually worry about the rest of the country because we're Victorians, or from Melbourne or wherever. And it takes so bloody long to get anywhere else that by the time you get there it doesn't matter what the time is anyway - you just need a beer and a sleep. We're a parochial lot and only admit to being "Australians" when we meet other Australians overseas somewhere in private and between consenting adults, but never in airports where we are embarrassed by those who wear wide-brimmed hats and say "G'day yer ol' bastard!" at the tops of their voices. Wellington? We talk to Kiwis only if we want to be amused by their accent or if we are lonely drinking by ourselves; time has stood still in New Zealand for a very long time.

Other than that we're pretty normal. Well, sort of.

• Like 1

If we resist their will to change our name and colours then they may say fuck it and get out of here quick smart...

No mate, won't work like that.

They have committed to this now.  Spent 11M, flown 3 very busy execs around the world and told the world their plans.

They've asked for our views too, bless them, so we might as well give them.

If we resist their will to change our name and colours then they may say fuck it and get out of here quick smart...

No mate, won't work like that.

They have committed to this now.  Spent 11M, flown 3 very busy execs around the world and told the world their plans.

They've asked for our views too, bless them, so we might as well give them.

Agree. I personally dont have the hate of sky blue as I grew up in WA, but understand that others are against it. If they are asking for opionions, then why not give it to them. Its up to them to either listen or steamroll the colour change.

Like i said though, I think changing the away kit and keeping the home is a good compromise.

For me I don't care about names or colours. I didn't start supporting MH for the colours or name just never took to MV. Heart came in a thought I will give them a go. Luckily enough I met some good people. For me this club is the people that I have met enjoying a game of football. The name could change and the colours could change but if the friends and comradely that I have with other fans is still there I am not really fussed about names and colours. That being said I would like to stay red and white etc but really a non issue for me as long as the fans etc are still the same and we are still having fun  together. I suppose I don't get hung up on names and stuff it is the people around me that make something special and I have found that with this club. So short story long it's the fans that make the club the name etc don't mean a lot to me. I can understand people not wanting the name etc to change. Just giving my 2 cents for what it's worth.  :)

It´s not really about money anymore.. It´s about face B)

As for what Soriano really said it was that they would listen to the fans (amongst others) and wanted to make decisions that had support among the fans in regards to badge/colour etc.
Given the amount of money Etihad Airways have spent on sponsoring in Melbourne and the fact that they are the main sponsor of MCFC which give them a guy on the board I´d say that Etihad itself will be adamant that everything is done nicely.

As for colours we might notice that the local club that Sheikh Mansour is supporting financially in Abu Dhabi as well as the UAE national team play in red&white with some black thrown in so it´s not colours that will put them off really.

An indication of how others see the purchase

The purchase of an A-League club by the Abu Dhabi owners of Manchester City has come at a brilliant time.

The development doesn't come without caveats, but it could be the single greatest trigger to take the game to the next level.

Forgive most in the football community for being immensely excited, since the past few years have been relatively frugal and, at times, uncertain. Football Federation of Australia finances have been in a mess that necessitated a government review in 2011, the Central Coast Mariners have had documented financial issues and the Heart have been on the market for some time.

Thus for the so-called richest club in the world, recently up to sixth in Deloitte's Football Money League from seventh the previous year with revenues of €316 million ($496 million), to invest in the A-League is an event of such extraordinary possibilities as to change the dynamics within the industry.

Advertisement

Recent growth has been hard earned, welcome and incremental. But the 80 per cent acquisition of Melbourne Heart by Manchester City can now shift the ground within, and around, the game. With the EPL club having apparently approached Sydney FC, and been rebuffed, fortune smiled on the game because Heart is the perfect vehicle.

The league needed Heart to strengthen, so everyone benefits. Melbourne is also home to one of the most toxically myopic media industries, at least half of it anyway, feverishly trying to protect their home-grown product, so the introduction of a truly global football club is beautifully poetic.

Manchester City is owned in the Middle East, managed by Spaniards (Catalans, actually), and represented by the rest of the world: Argentinians, Ivorians, English, French, Spanish, Bosnian … and coached by a Chilean. That's football.

If you were to design a Trojan horse to send into a still partly closed environment fearful of the international game, this would be it.

The internationalisation of the A-League will now step up apace - in terms of players, matches here and abroad, Asian tours, television exposure and more. City's investment is part of a global strategy with subsidiaries in key markets, and leverage is obtained by promoting the brand and group. The glow will radiate league-wide.

Many clubs have talked about becoming the biggest in Asia, but the limiting factor is money. Only greater levels of investment in youth, in the squad, in coaching, marketing, tours and football systems can achieve this. With the desire and financial backing, Melbourne City or whatever the name Heart becomes, will have the genuine credentials to make this claim. And they have the expertise, too.

Ferran Soriano, highly respected as part of the elefant blau consortium under Joan Laporta that revolutionised FC Barcelona in 2003, and Txiki Begiristain, one of the finest technical minds in football, bring a knowledge base, experience and contact network that can be utilised to lift the level of club administration, technical expertise and management of the league.

The potential for a higher level of player is obvious, and to extract the highest return on investment City need the highest level of football possible; this will place an upward pressure on both the salary cap and the standard of the league that is hugely welcome.

But aside from the international credibility brought by Manchester City (as well as its massive financial strength that dwarfs all other sports in Australia and its leading management expertise), above all the most exciting prospect falls on player development.

Here, the Heart Mark II has the opportunity to completely change the game. I expect City to invest adequately in youth development, as Txiki Begiristain has already made very clear is his intention. Begiristain understands only too well the quantum and timeframe for this investment. Tens of millions. And decades. To compete internationally we need massive investments by current standards, which are wholly inadequate.

Begiristain also knows the extreme quality of coaching necessary to help our boys and girls reach the highest levels and for this there will be no compromise. He will not accept training on shared parks, on school grounds, like a beggar the game has often become, but will build a leading facility. He will build a youth sector of international class, and the education will be free.

That is normal in Europe - how else would a club attract the best talent? But it will be a game-changer here. Most A-League clubs, not all, are chasing kids to make a buck and cover costs, and it's killing our future.

City will create a new industry dynamic, they'll get the best talent, and others will have to follow suit. No more invoices for thousands of dollars for the privilege of sending your talented child to an elite program. Imagine what the game can achieve.

This is my greatest hope for a partnership that holds such potential for the future of our game.

My preference would be for majority Australian ownership to protect our long-term strategic goals but, in the absence of this and with reasonable protections in place, such partnerships may ultimately allow these goals to be met. Only faster.

• Like 3

I'm sure someone's already posted this, but for those of you wondering about the new owner's approach to youth, here's our new academy. It opens in July, I pass it every day on my way to work and believe me, the video doesn't do justice to the sheer scale of it.

Your players will have access to it in the off season, and it wouldn't surprise me if Soriano & Beguiristain aren't already drawing up plans for an academy in Melbourne.

• Like 3

I'm sure someone's already posted this, but for those of you wondering about the new owner's approach to youth, here's our new academy. It opens in July, I pass it every day on my way to work and believe me, the video doesn't do justice to the sheer scale of it.

Your players will have access to it in the off season, and it wouldn't surprise me if Soriano & Beguiristain aren't already drawing up plans for an academy in Melbourne.

Fuck me....

If we get anything near that it would be unbelievable.

• Like 2

and this is profof that they deliver - latest updates and piccies page 152:

http://107.22.197.90/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290545&sid=0991a52937bd7e11b26172eaa6f52573

(dont worry about the IP address...its bluemoons, I just use IPs rather than urls)

I have to say that video news thing the corner of your forum is f'ing annoying.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice that haha

Another City fan here from the great conurbation of Manchester. Congratulations and celebrations are the order of the day, personally I am well chuffed. When I lived in Oz for a year my favourite City was Melbourne without a shadow of doubt, and my fathers before me (he spent a decade there) and still got some distant relative residing in Beaumaris.

Manchester and Melbourne are similar sized Cities that proudly represent their nation and big hitters. I'm already eyeing up a return trip over in a couple of years time and hopefully get to sink a few scoops with you lads.

Added this forum to my favourite and look forward to following your progress here.

Manchester - Melbourne - New York how does that sound, global City family.

• Like 3

I almost feel like Heart not being in the name will make me like it more. Being officially called Heart is like giving yourself a nickname. It's just not cool. 

If we become City then I will be nostalgic for Heart and feel proud I was part of Heart. When yarraside sng "you are in my heart, I will follow you" etc it will have even greater depth.

"We are the Heart, the Heart of the City!"  Yeah, possibilities for chants...

Just remember that no matter what happens to your club's name, no one can steal your Heart. ;0)

Nicknames are for the supporters and for how you refer to your own club.  City supporters refer to one another and the team as Blues.  The term Citizens has fallen out of favour amongst supporters, the younger ones anyway, more recently, although it is still used by the print media when writing about City.

Did anyone notice the 'Heart of the City' area in the split of the stand (1:47) ;) BOOM !!

Good spot, I was going to point that out. Since 2009 City has operated a "Heart of the City" scheme designed to connect with foreign fans by designating certain overseas pubs and bars where sizable City supporter clubs are based (usually ex-pats, admittedly) as Heart of the City locations, essentially officially-recognised rallying points for City supporters. There are actually two in Australia - Brisbane and Sydney, unfortunately - and the places that get picked get a neat little Blue Moon plaque.

1329571280.jpg

It's hardly beyond reason to think that City might try adopting the name for connecting with MHFC.

I am a Manchester City fan and I will tell you what I think will happen...

Melbourne City FC will be the name, we changed Hyde United FC to Hyde FC after helping out financially and changed all seats to blue from red also.

The badge will be changed to blue as Hyde FC's was also.

The home kit will remain red and white with a blue away kit,this also happened with Hyde FC.

The ground will remain, as the Etihad Stadium has no relevance to the club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_F.C.

This is my opinion but is the most likely course of action.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC will be the name, we changed Hyde United FC to Hyde FC after helping out financially and changed all seats to blue from red also.

The home kit will remain red and white with a blue away kit,this also happened with Hyde FC.

The stuff about Hyde has never been firmly established. It might be true, but it might not. Myself, I'm of the opinion that Hyde rebranded themselves first in order to try to attract the sponsorship - they were definitely going into administration if they hadn't. Notice how the change of name and kit was announced before the sponsorship was - if only by a day or so.

The stuff about Hyde has never been firmly established. It might be true, but it might not. Myself, I'm of the opinion that Hyde rebranded themselves first in order to try to attract the sponsorship - they were definitely going into administration if they hadn't. Notice how the change of name and kit was announced before the sponsorship was - if only by a day or so.

I think it was a case of MCFC telling them to rebrand and then they will help out..

Hyde has only benefited from MCFC including gaining money from MCFC youth games

Melbourne Heart will only get better from the ownership.

I think it was a case of MCFC telling them to rebrand and then they will help out..

At any rate, that was likely a Garry Cook decision, and he's not exactly going to be making these decisions any more.

Maybe it will happen, but I still would like to think that the name change is still up in the air.

At any rate, that was likely a Garry Cook decision, and he's not exactly going to be making these decisions any more.

Maybe it will happen, but I still would like to think that the name change is still up in the air.

we have pretty much accepted a name change. haha

we have pretty much accepted a name change. haha To add, the melbourne city name had been talked about before. I think the owners will find that if they ask a lot of people will accept because they will view it as meaning melbourne city. If enforced people will be pissed because they will see it as man city and loss of onwership of their club. If they ask nicely they will find we probably get what we both want. Our club and their brand being spread :P (not that I speak for everyone, but that's the general vibe I've picked up when reading around the net)

• Like 2

Fuck me....

If we get anything near that it would be unbelievable.

trust me, y(our) owners don't fuck about. Not long after they bought us, they announced they were building a new academy, and the intention was for it to be the most advanced in the world. Naturally, having been lied to and shat on by numerous previous owners & chairmen our reaction was "bullshit, we've heard all this before" Next thing we know, they've signed a deal with the local council to invest close to £1 billion in the local area. They looked at Barcelona's La Masia complex that had produced the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi and looked at how they could improve on it. All contractors bidding for work on the academy had to agree to employ a minimum of 70% of the workforce from the local community, and when it's run, at least 70% of the workforce running it day to day will be locals. If you're worried about your history & identity, all I can say is they've really taken our history to heart, and built the club on those foundations.

The spiral access ramps to the stadium bear the names of all the season ticket holders, and inside the stadium are murals bearing people's memories of their first match at City, some from the fifties, some from youngsters who started going just a few seasons ago. In a sheltered corner outside the stadium is the garden of remembrance, where fans can scatter the ashes of loved ones, my dad's ashes are there. It has the keystones from the entrance to the pub where the team was first formed in 1880, and a mosaic from the stadium we played in for 80 years. At the entrance is a sign bearing the quotation

"I think of Heaven as a garden where I shall find again those dear ones who have made my world."

They seem to believe that the biggest part of the history of the club is the fans, and while they have their sights set firmly on the future, they make sure to remember our past.

• Like 4

So MCFC looked at Sydney FC and then briefly WSW before Heart. How fortuitous for both of us that these overtures did not proceed. MCFC have ended up with the club that delivers probably the most passionate supporters, the most enjoyable atmosphere at games (Yarraside) and the most sports focussed city in Australia. We have got what appears to be a professional and considerate management that will take us where we all dreamt of going - the top of the tree. In addition Melbourne and football in Australia gains hugel. What a win, win!! My depression has finally gone and I am suddenly soooo enthusiastic about the game again. Why can't it all happen tomorrow? Sydney FC and Victory - cry in your beer.

• Like 1

You'll probably hear the word "holistic" bandied about at some point. Essentially, the idea is for the club to be seen as one entity-from the under 10's to the first team.

Each of our teams, from the kids to the first team is being coached to play the same style of football, so eventually it should be like a conveyor belt, you just progress through the ranks over time. The first team coach Manuel Pelegrini was asked to sum up the ethos for how the team plays, he gave a very simple answer "win the ball, keep the ball, score many goals". He's been true to his word. We're just over half way through the season & so far we've scored 108 league & cup goals.

That's why I don't think you'll be treated as a "Mini Man City", it just wouldn't work over two continents, they seem to want each club to be a complete self contained unit, going from academy right through to first team, and I think it'll be awesome for the Australian game to have a facility churning out players year after year. Sure, we'll share ideas, facilities & best practise, it'd be stupid not to. MHFC will now have access to the most advanced coaching and sports science complex in the world, as well as a global scouting network, and over the coming years I imagine they'll want to build a facility along the same lines in Melbourne.

I was talking to some mates at the match today about the Heart deal, and we don't see you as a Man City Light, or a feeder club or a franchise of us, everyone I've spoken to here sees you as "the brothers from down under"-a separate club but an equal part of the family, the difference in scale is purely down to the game being established for longer over here. As of now, Heart have got a shitload more fans over here ;)

• Like 3

You'll probably hear the word "holistic" bandied about at some point. Essentially, the idea is for the club to be seen as one entity-from the under 10's to the first team.

Each of our teams, from the kids to the first team is being coached to play the same style of football, so eventually it should be like a conveyor belt, you just progress through the ranks over time. The first team coach Manuel Pelegrini was asked to sum up the ethos for how the team plays, he gave a very simple answer "win the ball, keep the ball, score many goals". He's been true to his word. We're just over half way through the season & so far we've scored 108 league & cup goals.

That's why I don't think you'll be treated as a "Mini Man City", it just wouldn't work over two continents, they seem to want each club to be a complete self contained unit, going from academy right through to first team, and I think it'll be awesome for the Australian game to have a facility churning out players year after year. Sure, we'll share ideas, facilities & best practise, it'd be stupid not to. MHFC will now have access to the most advanced coaching and sports science complex in the world, as well as a global scouting network, and over the coming years I imagine they'll want to build a facility along the same lines in Melbourne.

I was talking to some mates at the match today about the Heart deal, and we don't see you as a Man City Light, or a feeder club or a franchise of us, everyone I've spoken to here sees you as "the brothers from down under"-a separate club but an equal part of the family, the difference in scale is purely down to the game being established for longer over here. As of now, Heart have got a shitload more fans over here ;)

Actually 110 goals in 36 games, so just over 3 goals per game, and 4 per home game.  This is a lot!

Sydney yes.. due to similarities in colour and such that would make a takeover very straightforward, but the owners was not willing to sell. WSW was apparently what the league was trying to flog really but CFG was not interested in a club catering to a more or less suburban area at a guess.
That takes us to Melbourne and the two clubs there.. One an iconic club playing in blue while the other one was perennial underachievers playing in red&white, the choice would have been rather obvious for most investors but somehow it wasn´t this time. I´d love to know how it came to  happen really.

Now with a few days under our belts to absorb what this deal means to our club I have to say my feelings have changed just slightly regarding the changes that may be made. Ultimately I would love for the club to remain melbourne heart, as much as I would have liked it to be called city in the first place. A name change officially signifies that melbourne heart FC, such as it was, is nonexistent.

If it does change to city though I'll support the club but our colours mustn't change especially at home. If the name changes and the colours change that is officially the death of melbourne heart, do not want.

Now with a few days under our belts to absorb what this deal means to our club I have to say my feelings have changed just slightly regarding the changes that may be made. Ultimately I would love for the club to remain melbourne heart, as much as I would have liked it to be called city in the first place. A name change officially signifies that melbourne heart FC, such as it was, is nonexistent.

If it does change to city though I'll support the club but our colours mustn't change especially at home. If the name changes and the colours change that is officially the death of melbourne heart, do not want.

Trust me, changing to Melbourne City won't be the death of the Heart name. Even though it was before we were all born over 100 years ago, every City fan still respects the memory of the St.Marks/Ardwick FC names that we had - There is a black St.Marks flag hung proudly in our stadium so don't worry about the Heart name disappearing from sight for you, the Heart name will still be an integral part of your history and no matter what changes to name or whatever, there would be nothing to feel wrong about wearing current Heart shirts and showing off Heart flags - It would be cool if at least one of us still had an original St.Marks kit so cherish what you have!

Saying that, there is nothing to feel wrong about embracing major changes for your club at such an early stage in your development - near enough every club has been there!

Edited by M24 Citizen

I think the City doesnt kill off our name, and just adds to it.  There's no reason WE can't call our team The Heart, I mean Man U are The Red Devils, Liverpool are The Reds.

I'd happy to be Melbourne City Heart.

From what I've read over the past few days, it sounds like Man City have implemented what MHFC have been trying And doing over the past few years.

* a state of art facility at Latrobe (not sure if this will be the academy there but hope its close to aami)

* an academy (cruff) was happening with JvS

* a lower level team in grass roots. FFV stuffed this

* women's team. Ffv playing favorites with MV and MH can't afford.

* social media. Heart are the best in HaL

* surveys: heart have done this and listened to the fans

* regular updates via email.

I'm sure there's more, but as said before, the money will enable some of the above to happen and be even better.

From what I've read over the past few days, it sounds like Man City have implemented what MHFC have been trying And doing over the past few years.

* a state of art facility at Latrobe (not sure if this will be the academy there but hope its close to aami)

* an academy (cruff) was happening with JvS

* a lower level team in grass roots. FFV stuffed this

* women's team. Ffv playing favorites with MV and MH can't afford.

* social media. Heart are the best in HaL

* surveys: heart have done this and listened to the fans

* regular updates via email.

I'm sure there's more, but as said before, the money will enable some of the above to happen and be even better.

Well maybe, we had good intentions but really we either haven't brought these things to fruition (for whatever reason) or done them very well. Our new owners will raise performance by orders of magnitude.

IMO the Sidwell Syndicate and Munn and Co. got us started, and they'll always get the recognition and credit for that. Much like the fact that we will always have won the first ever derby. But it's time to move on and grow.

And move that smaller club to Geelong.

• Like 1