Melbourne Football

MCFC in the ACL

IssySG

13 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

None of the 3 clubs have posted an article regarding it as they will be making a joint statement. 

That just makes it worse for me. I don't care a hoot what Sydney or Brisbane say or do. I expect that the club of which I am a Foundation Member will advise me that it has withdrawn from a competition that (I thought) it had striven to participate in for 11 seasons. That's all.

• Like 2

Just reading some interesting analysis/comments about the consequences for the years to come due to Australian club turning their backs to the AFC and ACL. Even if we get away without any other penalties, the best case scenario is that we won’t be picking up any coefficient points which results in that there won’t be any ACL to qualify for in 2023 but only the tier second Asia Cup.

45 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Just reading some interesting analysis/comments about the consequences for the years to come due to Australian club turning their backs to the AFC and ACL. Even if we get away without any other penalties, the best case scenario is that we won’t be picking up any coefficient points which results in that there won’t be any ACL to qualify for in 2023 but only the tier second Asia Cup.

Time will tell, but I think we will come to regret the decision we've made. It smacks of arrogance to me. It's certainly a kick in the guts for City fans.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Time will tell, but I think we will come to regret the decision we've made. It smacks of arrogance to me. It's certainly a kick in the guts for City fans.

Hardly arrogance surely. How about Covid and Australian quarantine policies?

Pre-Covid teams happily played ACL in the finals series.

Basically the state governments of Australia made it impossible for Jets to play us down here a week ago. The consequence of that is a delayed final series and a clash with the ACL.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

I just felt that the tone of the AFC press release was terse and indicated that there had not been any discussion/consultation. Rather that FA had simply notified the AFC that our teams were withdrawing. It reads that way to me. Let's hope I'm wrong.

On the Newcastle match I'm not sure. I would have thought it perfectly possible to play it, either behind closed doors here or on our way back from Brisbane. Again, to me doesn't look as though anyone tried too hard.

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just felt that the tone of the AFC press release was terse and indicated that there had not been any discussion/consultation. Rather that FA had simply notified the AFC that our teams were withdrawing. It reads that way to me. Let's hope I'm wrong.

On the Newcastle match I'm not sure. I would have thought it perfectly possible to play it, either behind closed doors here or on our way back from Brisbane. Again, to me doesn't look as though anyone tried too hard.

I haven’t seen that press release @jw1739, but although I reckon we’ve tried hard to be exemplary members of the AFC, you are right in saying some member nations are dead against us being there, so for them any excuse to sink the slipper.

As to who tried what, who knows? All behind closed doors. Given Tards played the western nomads that weekend though, there was clearly an obstacle and I’ve had my guess as to what it was.

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

Agreed. In theory it should be ok, but can't help, but feel the seemingly general disdain for Australia that some AFC members have will cause an issue.

Particularly with a Prime Minister who doesn't exactly endear himself to anyone. I hope that City really did try hard to participate. After all, we have CFG sister clubs in China and India, and an interest in a Japanese club, and of course we are 12% owned by Chinese companies through their share in CFG.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Particularly with a Prime Minister who doesn't exactly endear himself to anyone. I hope that City really did try hard to participate. After all, we have CFG sister clubs in China and India, and an interest in a Japanese club, and of course we are 12% owned by Chinese companies through their share in CFG.

Other countries with far worse Covid problems are making it work, everybody is  doing their best to keep the ACL going.

As the article suggested, the Socceroos currently on camp outside Australia, seems to be perceived as hypocritical.

You can understand that countries below Australia on the coefficient ranking are not going to do Australia any favours, they would want punishment, especially if they participating themselves. 

I do agree that individual matches and the travels are an issue, I wonder if hubs would have been considered.

Edited by Mr MO

• 3 weeks later...