Melbourne Football

MCFC in the ACL

IssySG

Feel like there has been a lot of discussion around City in the Asian Champions League and now that it seems official, thought it warranted a thread. 

♪ Watching Melbourne on a Wednesday night! You play Sunday cause you're fucken shite, what a feeling what a night! ♪

23 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Feel like there has been a lot of discussion around City in the Asian Champions League and now that it seems official, thought it warranted a thread. 

♪ Watching Melbourne on a Wednesday night! You play Sunday cause you're fucken shite, what a feeling what a night! ♪

I feel that we could do well in the ACL under Mombaerts, as I did when JvS was with us - the problem has been getting there. I don't want to sound elitist but I think our players are all what I'd call "thinking players" not just players who are physically tough and can run fast, so when we're in the ACL I think we can adapt our style and approach so that we are successful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hanz said:

Any chance CFG will open up the wallet for a serious big name marquee now that we are in the ACL?

I doubt it. After the Cahill experiment failed to return on the clubs investment, they’ve said a few times that the “Big marquee name” doesn’t work in the A League. Victory said the same thing about Honda.

9 hours ago, IssySG said:

I doubt it. After the Cahill experiment failed to return on the clubs investment, they’ve said a few times that the “Big marquee name” doesn’t work in the A League. Victory said the same thing about Honda.

I wouldn't call Cahill nor Honda "Big Name" marquees, but I reckon if we get to actually travel and play ACL next year CFG will pay more to get at least a more proven player...

The problem is, why would any "big name" marquee (even in their twilight years) pick to come to Oz over China, Middle East, Japan or South Korea? Okay you can tell them, "you'll get to play in the *cough*Asian*cough* Champions League", but is that enough for someone like Iniesta to pick Melbourne over Japan?

Edited by Red or Dead

I think if we win the qualification match/es and reach the group stage CFG will reward our loyal supporters by sending us David Silva on a one-year contract and De Bruyne on a ten game guest visa. Those two, Noone, Luna and JMac will dominate the league and we will then win our first premiership, win the grand final, the 2021 ffa cup, and smash Al-Hilal 4-0 in the 2021 AFC Champions League Final at AAMI Park.  No dramas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dezy94 said:

I think if we win the qualification match/es and reach the group stage CFG will reward our loyal supporters by sending us David Silva on a one-year contract and De Bruyne on a ten game guest visa. Those two, Noone, Luna and JMac will dominate the league and we will then win our first premiership, win the grand final, the 2021 ffa cup, and smash Al-Hilal 4-0 in the 2021 AFC Champions League Final at AAMI Park.  No dramas.

I don't see De Bruyne coming, but might be able to get Gareth Bale on loan 🤔

On 09/08/2020 at 10:15 PM, Hanz said:

Any chance CFG will open up the wallet for a serious big name marquee now that we are in the ACL?

Well maybe this is there chance to show they are serious about making us a "powerhouse on Asia" or whatever it was they said when they took over

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

I don't know if there's even the smallest chance of us not playing ACL but if there is then this thread has fucked us. And even if were hundred percent in corona virus will fuck us. Basically we're fucked. 

I’m predicting this thread will sprout a series of ACL injuries. We’ll be lucky to field a side by the time the league starts, the club will be inviting forum members to trial.

52 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I’m predicting this thread will sprout a series of ACL injuries. We’ll be lucky to field a side by the time the league starts, the club will be inviting forum members to trial.

Predicting? Injuries? Lucky? 

Something about all these words that makes me warm and fuzzy. 

• 3 months later...

It's pretty sad to see how poorly all the A-League clubs are going in the current campaign. In the Group Stage so far Syd, Perth and MV have a collective record of 1-1-8, with the only win coming against a Thai team (which was 1 - 0, and the goal was a penalty). Obviously there are reasons behind it all and all the squads aren't complete, but it's been trending this way ever since WSW won the thing.

I really hope we are able to buck this trend and actually make a decent run. I'm cautiously optimistic, and it would be very good for the league in general. Could potentially be a disaster though... we'll see. 

10 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

It's pretty sad to see how poorly all the A-League clubs are going in the current campaign. In the Group Stage so far Syd, Perth and MV have a collective record of 1-1-8, with the only win coming against a Thai team (which was 1 - 0, and the goal was a penalty). Obviously there are reasons behind it all and all the squads aren't complete, but it's been trending this way ever since WSW won the thing.

I really hope we are able to buck this trend and actually make a decent run. I'm cautiously optimistic, and it would be very good for the league in general. Could potentially be a disaster though... we'll see. 

Would be good if we brought an Asian player in for the 3+1 rule. 

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

Would be good if we brought an Asian player in for the 3+1 rule. 

IMO it's something we should have done a long time ago. As Heart we did offer a contract to Safuwan (Singapore), and he has revealed he regrets not taking up the offer, but there's never been any rumours of us looking at any Asian players since. I guess it comes back to the money again - so much slopping around in Asia that we can't compete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanz said:

It’s a good look for the City brand in Asia to perform well here. We also have an incredibly deep team this year too, al positive signs if everyone stays healthy. 

Deep? Our squad size has come down with several player and severely lacks quality to make any serious impact. But of course I hope I’m wrong.

We are allowed to sign extra players.

Edited by Mr MO

7 hours ago, Nate said:

I rate our odds of performing well in Asia tbh.

With it being our first ever foray into the competition, I'm optimistic we'll take it pretty seriously and not take it for granted like the other stronger A-League clubs seem to.

I’m expecting to get smashed.
Salary capped teams vs non-salary cap teams. whilst the cap stays a league teams are no chance. (Things have changed since WSW, but even then they had a good coach, a lot of luck, a gun goalie and a ref with some interesting ideas)

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I’m expecting to get smashed.
Salary capped teams vs non-salary cap teams. whilst the cap stays a league teams are no chance. (Things have changed since WSW, but even then they had a good coach, a lot of luck, a gun goalie and a ref with some interesting ideas)

We have no salary cap in the ACL and can sign anybody we want priory to tournament starting.

With Garucio coming in you can also experiment with Atkinson as AM - what do you think of that, certainly has the ball skills for it.

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Who do you expect to come to only play a handful of games?

What budget do you think CFG will allocate to that?

It’s been done before by others, Sydney managed to sign players for their ACL campaign who then magically appeared in  the league as a “injury replacement”. You pay these guys lots for the ACL games and then peanuts for A-League.

Edited by Mr MO

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Who do you expect to come to only play a handful of games?

What budget do you think CFG will allocate to that?

1. David Villa...

2. Seriously though. The budget is probably travelling expenses only. If those dates for the qualifiers are correct it's going to be a hell of a task to play 11 league matches and H&A (??) ACL qualifiers in two months.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 9:15 PM, jw1739 said:

1. David Villa...

2. Seriously though. The budget is probably travelling expenses only. If those dates for the qualifiers are correct it's going to be a hell of a task to play 11 league matches and H&A (??) ACL qualifiers in two months.

normally the second qualifier is away in Japan, South Korea, etc so i'm guessing we have to quarantine when we play the second game. potential nightmare situation in terms of our season being drawn out and/or rushed towards the end.

Edited by mattyh001

44 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

normally the second qualifier is away in Japan, South Korea, etc so i'm guessing we have to quarantine when we play the second game. potential nightmare situation in terms of our season being drawn out and/or rushed towards the end.

Somewhere I read talk of a hub in the Middle East - Qatar?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/asian-champions-league-to-look-at-game-hub-venues-for-2021/2020/09/25/c52a285a-ff47-11ea-b0e4-350e4e60cc91_story.html

On 10/08/2020 at 4:48 PM, Red or Dead said:

The problem is, why would any "big name" marquee (even in their twilight years) pick to come to Oz over China, Middle East, Japan or South Korea?

On 11/08/2020 at 7:44 AM, Shahanga said:

The Germano Treatment Centre

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When we look at the results coming out of the Asian Champions League, do we really think that City have a squad that can be successful in that competition?

I think it will solely depend on when the games are played.

During pre season like now I would say the current results are more than I expected but if played during the season I'm confident we would see a few wins especially home games.

The Aussie teams have been particularly stitched up by the salary cap cut this year, so imo its more than reasonable to ignore this years results.

In saying that, the longer term trend over the past few seasons has not been great either so its not an unreasonable concern.

Ive always taken the view that i think wed handle ACL better than most Aussie clubs cos our squads have batted deeper. Having quality options at player 16-21 benefits teams in the ACL imo, although weve clearly seen its not necessarily the formula to win the HAL. HAL seems to favour the clubs that have the strongest XIs.

• Like 1