Melbourne Football

Heart offer JVS coaching role

Murfy1

I read it that he's coming to Melbourne to talk to MHFC in the next week or so. It seems to be more about setting up a "Heart youth development academy" than providing assistance to the senior coaching squad; he envisages perhaps four trips to Melbourne in 8 months rather than full-time here, and, as you say, doing the bulk of the work back in Holland.

John van 't Schip looks so far as to re-trainer of the Australian Melbourne Heart, but is willing to act as the club where he served as head coach between October 2009 and April 2012. Consultant The former 49-year-old Orange -international traveling down to Melbourne next week to discuss a possible role as a sounding board for the current trainers and set up youth academy. The option to settle again full time in Melbourne sees Van 't Schip off anyway."Given the conditions, it is not necessary for the job to be there permanently," responds the former Ajax player. "That would be in the future may be the case. But for the present, I prefer to do this work. More on a consultancy basis Three, four times in the season, I could travel to Melbourne, with the bulk of the work can be done in the Netherlands, but we will talk more next week. " 

Since his resignation from the Mexican Chivas Guadalajara early January, Van 't Ship without employer. Afterwards he did speak with some potential employers about various functions, but not concrete. Was this , "If I can do something like Melbourne. I do that If I can do that by visiting a few moments, I am not bound in case something comes my way soon. Otherwise I can only look back on over eight months that I do not find it most convenient. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYZZHGkDio

Edited by Deviate

Scott Munn just tweeted...

Scott Munn (@scott_munn) tweeted at 2:03 PM on Mon, Aug 12, 2013:

Ange @johnvantschip7 is looking for you. Great burger!! http://t.co/sRQ2x005Mk

(https://twitter.com/scott_munn/status/366771825235087360)

looks like JVS is back

That Ange bloke that they are looking for is the guy that looks after the Vyve Cafe twitter account... But you're right, JVS is back in Melbourne, Victoria...

Edited by Deviate

Scott Munn just tweeted...

Scott Munn (@scott_munn) tweeted at 2:03 PM on Mon, Aug 12, 2013:

Ange @johnvantschip7 is looking for you. Great burger!! http://t.co/sRQ2x005Mk

(https://twitter.com/scott_munn/status/366771825235087360)

looks like JVS is back

That Ange bloke that they are looking for is the guy that looks after the Vyve Cafe twitter account... But you're right, JVS is back in Melbourne, Victoria...

sure it's not ange postecoglue? ;)

Heart in Cruyff link
August 9, 2013 
Michael Lynch

Barcelona, Ajax - and Melbourne Heart? Not names that are usually associated with each other.

But a flying visit to Australia by Heart's former coach John van 't Schip could see a link developed, at least tangentially, through the Cruyff Football coaching and academy program.

Van 't Schip left Heart after guiding the club to the finals in its second season to link up with his mentor Cruyff for a short-lived spell at Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico. He is due to land in Melbourne on Saturday.

The coach, a former Ajax and Holland national team star, has family in the city. But he is also planning to visit Heart to talk to his successor John Aloisi and to look at the potential to establish the Cruyff Football coaching set-up in Australia, with Heart acting as an A-League link.

''John will be dropping in to see how things are and to offer advice or bounce ideas off if needed,'' said Heart CEO Scott Munn. 

''We have been talking to him about developing the player pathway in Australia and we will be talking about potential opportunities with Cruyff Football.''

Heart has always had a strong Dutch link courtesy of its founding coach and the club will look to Europe to fill one, if not both, of the two remaining foreign player spots on its roster for the 2013-14 season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/hear ... z2bhZ1tPHs

makes sense,

schip looks after development and youth with link to the cruyff academy!

• Like 1

Heart in Cruyff link

August 9, 2013 

Michael Lynch

Barcelona, Ajax - and Melbourne Heart? Not names that are usually associated with each other.

But a flying visit to Australia by Heart's former coach John van 't Schip could see a link developed, at least tangentially, through the Cruyff Football coaching and academy program.

Van 't Schip left Heart after guiding the club to the finals in its second season to link up with his mentor Cruyff for a short-lived spell at Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico. He is due to land in Melbourne on Saturday.

The coach, a former Ajax and Holland national team star, has family in the city. But he is also planning to visit Heart to talk to his successor John Aloisi and to look at the potential to establish the Cruyff Football coaching set-up in Australia, with Heart acting as an A-League link.

''John will be dropping in to see how things are and to offer advice or bounce ideas off if needed,'' said Heart CEO Scott Munn. 

''We have been talking to him about developing the player pathway in Australia and we will be talking about potential opportunities with Cruyff Football.''

Heart has always had a strong Dutch link courtesy of its founding coach and the club will look to Europe to fill one, if not both, of the two remaining foreign player spots on its roster for the 2013-14 season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/hear ... z2bhZ1tPHs

makes sense,

schip looks after development and youth with link to the cruyff academy!

To extend on this a little bit i google said academy,

http://www.cruyfffootball.com/expertise/johan-cruyff/

As a coach, Johan Cruyff began forming future stars in creating the Dream Team of Cataluña. Under Cruyff’s charge, FC Barcelona won an unprecedented four league titles and the club’s first European Cup (Champions League) in 1992 at Wembley. He influenced a generation of greats such as Pep Guardiola, Dennis Bergkamp, Marco Van Basten to name a few. With a strong belief in home grown talent and a football academy philosophy that nurtures technically dominant and tactically intelligent players, Johan Cruyff would through his vision set the stage for the game we see today. Johan Cruyff put into the place the foundations of two of the most respected youth academies in the world – “La Masia” of FC Barcelona and the “Toekomst” of Ajax.

Sounds pretty exciting if we can do something like this to accelerate the development of our youth system.  

Former Heart coach John van't Schip to return as technical manager

Matt Windley Herald Sun August 13, 2013 10:00PM

JOHN van't Schip will make a shock return to Melbourne Heart as its technical manager little more than a year after quitting as coach.

The Dutchman will play a crucial role in the establishment of a Johan Cruyff football academy in tandem with the A-League club.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said van't Schip's appointment was not a slight on coach John Aloisi, but his arrival would bolster the football department after a ninth-place finish that was "not acceptable".

In an interview with the Herald Sun, Munn said:

THE Cruyff academy, a junior talent pathway program in place at Barcelona and Ajax, was set to launch in Melbourne at the start of next year.

HEART was not for sale after knocking back a "large" takeover bid from former National Soccer League club South Melbourne.

THE club's focus was to improve results on the field rather than turn a profit off it.

RECRUITING a striker was a priority, but the club wouldn't necessarily fill the two spots open on its roster.

Van't Schip resigned in March last year after two seasons in charge at Heart, taking over at Mexican club Guadalajara for a stint that lasted a year.

Munn said Aloisi would not report to van't Schip, who would be in Melbourne for five months of the seven-month season.

"He won't be running sessions for the players or anything like that," he said.

"It's more to do with making sure we're integrating the youth team in to the seniors and then also providing necessary support on game day for the coaching panel.

"At the end of the year we went through all of the things we had as an organisation and did an absolute review, particularly around the football department.

"There were some key areas we wanted to improve and work on and one was the support around the coaching department - not necessarily just JA (Aloisi), but the entire department."

Heart last week knocked back a reported $7 million offer from South Melbourne for its A-League licence, the third time the Victorian Premier League club has made such a play.

Munn said South had said it would not make another approach. "We're not for sale. We never have been," he said.

"South Melbourne approached us on two different occasions (previously) and on two different occasions we explained to them that what they're looking to do isn't in line with what we want to do.

"They've actually now written to us and told us they won't approach us again. I think it will go away now."

The Cruyff academy at Barcelona has helped develop some of the world's best players, including Lionel Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

Munn said the academy was expected to open to year 11 and 12 students, before expanding to years 7-10.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/former-heart-coach-john-vant-schip-to-return-as-technical-manager/story-fni2fq5b-1226696607213

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

like i said on another thread last night, on soccer stopage time JD gave me the impression that we may in fact not sign any more players.

RECRUITING a striker was a priority, but the club wouldn't necessarily fill the two spots open on its roster.

as stated in the article above, it backs up what i heard. I hope we do sign at least another striker, IMO we have to throw everything we've got at this season, the club has done very well recruiting this off-season, let's hope they don't take short cuts now.

like i said on another thread last night, on soccer stopage time JD gave me the impression that we may in fact not sign any more players.

RECRUITING a striker was a priority, but the club wouldn't necessarily fill the two spots open on its roster.

as stated in the article above, it backs up what i heard. I hope we do sign at least another striker, IMO we have to throw everything we've got at this season, the club has done very well recruiting this off-season, let's hope they don't take short cuts now. Nope, it really doesn't back you up at all.

"Recruiting a striker is a priority" cannot be conveniently ignored.

Not sure why you've got your panties in a knot about us not signing any more players. We'll definitely sign a striker, even if we don't fill our fill our visa slots.

as stated in the article above, it backs up what i heard. I hope we do sign at least another striker, IMO we have to throw everything we've got at this season, the club has done very well recruiting this off-season, let's hope they don't take short cuts now. Nope, it really doesn't back you up at all.

"Recruiting a striker is a priority" cannot be conveniently ignored.

Not sure why you've got your panties in a knot about us not signing any more players. We'll definitely sign a striker, even if we don't fill our fill our visa slots.

Although....you did conveniently ignore the second part of the sentence 'but the club wouldn't necessarily fill the two spots open on its roster.'   :P 

But in saying that I agree with you, on the radio JD sounded adimate that they were after a striker and have targets. This is an interview in text which removes a bit of context because of editing etc.
Edited by Dylan

Great news. I'm rapt with the offseason so far, we just need to sign a good striker, can't wait for Round 1!

JOHN van't Schip will make a shock return to Melbourne Heart as its technical manager little more than a year after quitting as coach.

The Dutchman will play a crucial role in the establishment of a Johan Cruyff football academy in tandem with the A-League club.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said van't Schip's appointment was not a slight on coach John Aloisi, but his arrival would bolster the football department after a ninth-place finish that was "not acceptable".

In an interview with the Herald Sun, Munn said:

THE Cruyff academy, a junior talent pathway program in place at Barcelona and Ajax, was set to launch in Melbourne at the start of next year.

HEART was not for sale after knocking back a "large" takeover bid from former National Soccer League club South Melbourne.

THE club's focus was to improve results on the field rather than turn a profit off it.

RECRUITING a striker was a priority, but the club wouldn't necessarily fill the two spots open on its roster.

Van't Schip resigned in March last year after two seasons in charge at Heart, taking over at Mexican club Guadalajara for a stint that lasted a year.

Munn said Aloisi would not report to van't Schip, who would be in Melbourne for five months of the seven-month season.

"He won't be running sessions for the players or anything like that," he said.

"It's more to do with making sure we're integrating the youth team in to the seniors and then also providing necessary support on game day for the coaching panel.

"At the end of the year we went through all of the things we had as an organisation and did an absolute review, particularly around the football department.

"There were some key areas we wanted to improve and work on and one was the support around the coaching department - not necessarily just JA (Aloisi), but the entire department."

Heart last week knocked back a reported $7 million offer from South Melbourne for its A-League licence, the third time the Victorian Premier League club has made such a play.

Munn said South had said it would not make another approach. "We're not for sale. We never have been," he said.

"South Melbourne approached us on two different occasions (previously) and on two different occasions we explained to them that what they're looking to do isn't in line with what we want to do.

"They've actually now written to us and told us they won't approach us again. I think it will go away now."

The Cruyff academy at Barcelona has helped develop some of the world's best players, including Lionel Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

Munn said the academy was expected to open to year 11 and 12 students, before expanding to years 7-10.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/former-heart-coach-john-vant-schip-to-return-as-technical-manager/story-fnibbvjo-1226696607213

Great news, the link between the senior and junior teams was broken last season

Even better news

• Like 2

I think JVS could be absolutely ace for Aloisi this season, giving him someone to lean on.

When he's not strong? He'll be his friend, he'll help him carry on...

Now I am gonna have that bloody song stuck in my head all day!

Pumped with this initiative by Heart though, always said we need to implement a proper youth set up, not just a stock standard one that all clubs have.

I think JVS could be absolutely ace for Aloisi this season, giving him someone to lean on.

When he's not strong? He'll be his friend, he'll help him carry on...

Now I am gonna have that bloody song stuck in my head all day!

Pumped with this initiative by Heart though, always said we need to implement a proper youth set up, not just a stock standard one that all clubs have.

Sorry lad, certainly not my intention. But JVS seemed very capable at bringing through the youth players and inspiring them to do well, hopefully he can get this trend back up and running.

Yeah, setting up an academy or pathway system is something we seem to have talked about for ages so it's great to see it actually happening. And with coaching, although his record was mixed, I think the tactical side of the game was a real strength of JVS. So in that way, I think he could help Aloisi's development as a coach. After complaning a bit this preseason about the talk (spending money on the football department, marquees etc) and no action, I'm glad to see that we've been moving on some of these things. 

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

I love the idea of the Academy and I love the idea of JVS being "involved" in game day - I think he was a far more astute coach than JA currently is.

I will watch with incredible interest as to whether the two of them gel. This is analogous in some ways to the Malthouse / Buckley scenario. The elder statesman (with some success) watching over the transitioning inexperienced upstart. The fact that it has happened to me says JA must have approved it, which is a good thing. But does anyone know how the two of them got on when JVS coached JA?? And what happens if the wheels start to fall of after 10 weeks?? JVS will be sitting there and JA paranoid about his position with an obvious replacement sitting in the stands. This could make the relationship difficult to the detriment of the team. My real concern is that JA made decisions last year that looked to me like they were motivated by obtaining short term success and protecting his job. His lack of insight into his own failings was stark. I hope this relationship, especially on match day, will be collegial, positive and team focussed. But as we know in professional sport, egos are often large and cloud decision making. I don't want to put the kiss of death on this - I'm sincerely hoping like hell it will work out, has a huge upside, and we all have a ripper year. But every situation must be looked at from all angles. I hope there are contingencies.

And sign a striker!!

If it has been reported correctly, much of SM's interview is very positive for the club - the focus on results rather than profit, the academy, and finally putting paid to any thoughts that we might be for sale.

But I do find the re-emergence of JvS to be fascinating. Surely this is putting present coaching staff at MHFC on notice that they have fallen short of what was expected of them? IIRC quite some noise was made at the start of 2012/13 about the integration of the senior and NYL squads for training, and also with a certain Ron Smith coming on board to provide technical support to JA and HF. "Integrated training" might not be quite the same as "...integrating the youth team into the seniors", but it's not that far from it, and the difference is more a matter of semantics than substance. And "...necessary support on game day to the coaching panel" is really an acknowledgement that the said panel fell short of the mark last season.

Like Defib I'm going to watch this very closely.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I have been having a fair old whinge since the end of last season about the clubs lack of results and ambition, and treatment of supporters including the selling off of players without adequately replacing them.

Scott Munn has addressed all of my concerns in his interview and I look forward to seeing this plan bear fruit.

Would JVS apply for the head coaching job if it became available again?

I see no reason to suggest he wouldn't.

I tend to disagree. I read one of his reported interviews as saying that he did not want a full-time role away from The Netherlands at the present time.

Nevertheless I'd say he'll step up to the plate if the wheels fall off next season.

Imo I think JVSs appointment has nothing to do with the team and more about being sustainable. The board have likely identified that we may need to keep selling youngsters to stay afloat. They recognise that JVS great strength is with youth and with his 'connections' he is a good candidate to be head of our 'football factory'.

• Like 1