Melbourne Football

European clubs releasing players

tommac

There are a few players being released from European clubs at the moment, who could really make a difference for the Heart this season ( and onwards)

A few that attracted my interest were Matthew Upson, Arshavin ( might go back to Russia) and Squilacci the French CB from Arsenal.

Also-

Richard Dunne

Matthew Kilgallon (Stoke CB)

Titus Bramble

I really think all these guys could do a job and being released from their clubs, would be open to a move to the A-League.

Quite a few Central Defenders which I think is a priority position for us too.

Bramble would still be a rock of a CB. He makes the odd howler which tends to over shadow his overall solid game as a cb. You don't play that many games at the top level if you don't have some chop about you. Easily good enough for us. Will protest far more about Upson signing. The mug almost single handedly got West Ham relegated as captain. Ok,not single handedly but did nothing to help the cause. To be fair i'd say most of these guys are well out of our reach.

• Like 2

Also Released today:

Roque Santa Cruz

WIlliam Gallas

Florent Malouda

David Bentley

But i can't see any of them being realistic targets for any A-League side.

I could see David Bentley in the A-league imo

Yeah perhaps, he would be the most realistic of the targets. Quite a good one at that too, would tear up the wings of the league. Not sure what his wage demands would be though, likely far too high for him not to be a marquee.

Also Released today:

Roque Santa Cruz

WIlliam Gallas

Florent Malouda

David Bentley

But i can't see any of them being realistic targets for any A-League side.

I could see David Bentley in the A-league imo Me too

I think he would be a very handy pick up. Still at a good age of 28

Can take a good free kick as well iirc

Rob Hulse has been relseased by QPR, good hard working striker with a decent physical presence who has a decent goal scoring record in the Championship. Very much in the Berisha mould, which would provide the perfect foil for our attacking midfielders.

• Like 1

Rob Hulse has been relseased by QPR, good hard working striker with a decent physical presence who has a decent goal scoring record in the Championship. Very much in the Berisha mould, which would provide the perfect foil for our attacking midfielders.

Rate him from a few years back. Haven't seen him of late.

Would love...

Strikers:

John Carew

Mido

Adriano

Mid:

Hasan Salihamidzic

Evander Sno

Papa Diop

Def:

Zambrotta

Grosso

Chimbonda

May as well roll out the wheelchair and walking sticks if you get these blokes.

A few yes but Carew is 33, Mido 30, Adriano 31, sno 26.

Mido would be awesome. The bloke fell off the face off the earth after leaving Tottenham but I was always a fan of him.

Would suit a lone striker role and wouldnt demand a big wage

It'd be good to get someone that not only fits the role at heart but is also recognisable by the nonfootball community

This. Ideally we need to target someone who will appeal to a wider audience. Someone with a 'household' name that even neutrals can recognise.

I think the only player who everyone knew was Beckham. Kewell is also up there. Can't think of anyone else non soccer people would know (just thinking of my parents, who hadnt even heard of ADP).

Perhaps not someone that everyone will know, but in particular those with even a slight interest in the sport. I guess you could say a relatively 'passive' fan that knows a thing or two about players and what's going on, but not necessarily an active spectator or participant. It is likely that people who aren't fans of soccer won't support the sport regardless of what big name players the A-League could attract. 

So a few names that spring to mind instantly are Ronaldo (either), Ronaldinho, Rooney, Messi, etc. Of course the majority of the ones I listed are nowhere near the end of their 'prime' and well and truly out of reach for the A-League at the moment, but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at. Surely there are a few potential marquees out there that would gather enough momentum and interest amongst passive fans to encourage them to take that final step and support domestic football.

• Like 1

I don't know about you lot, but I'd rather we sign a guy from a country who will gain us 100 or so actual football supporters who know a thing about football over a guy who will bring 1,000 flogs who have no clue about the sport.

Quality over quantity

I highly doubt actual Football Supporters can ever be won over by a single player,

IMO we have now got Kewell to attract the Soccer Newbs so we should aim for the players most likely to win us games as its by winning games that we will see us capture the most supporters.

I strongly believe their is a large silent/inactive MHFC supporter base out there waiting for the team to start stringing games together.

• Like 4

I don't know about you lot, but I'd rather we sign a guy from a country who will gain us 100 or so actual football supporters who know a thing about football over a guy who will bring 1,000 flogs who have no clue about the sport.

Quality over quantity

If you actually believe this is the desirable result then you have no idea about the economics of sporting clubs. (srs)

Quality over quantity

I like this guy ^ your last couple posts have been on point.

Wouldn't be a krs one fan by any chance? 100 true heads behind me/1000 fake fans ring a bell?

100 or so fans that will stick around forever instead of 1,000 fickle fans who will come for 2-3 games if that.

I never disagreed with you on this point...

I just find it hard to believe that "100 Real Football Fans" would adopt an A-League club purely due to arrival of a certain marquee.

• Like 1

100 or so fans that will stick around forever instead of 1,000 fickle fans who will come for 2-3 games if that.

I never disagreed with you on this point...

I just find it hard to believe that "100 Real Football Fans" would adopt an A-League club purely due to arrival of a certain marquee.

There are people arriving in this country all the time thinking "which team should I support"? They may choose a team based on a particular marquee.