Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

Why even tell the media we wanna pay him 50k??

What stops the jest or the west Sydney immigrants from popping 150k on the table...

Silly.

The salary cap hopefully, however it didn't stop Sydney from stealing Lucash from us, i have a feeling the same may occur here :/. WSW already have Ono anyway, surely they won't want kewell too Edited by kingofhearts

What stops the jest or the west Sydney immigrants from popping 150k on the table...

Silly.

The salary cap hopefully, however it didn't stop Sydney from stealing Lucash from us, i have a feeling the same may occur here :/. WSW already have Ono anyway, why would they want kewell

Well WSW is owned by the FFA and Gallop is trying to give us some momentum going into the next season so I really doubt WSW will be putting in a bid for HK.

Silly.

The salary cap hopefully, however it didn't stop Sydney from stealing Lucash from us, i have a feeling the same may occur here :/. WSW already have Ono anyway, why would they want kewell

Well WSW is owned by the FFA and Gallop is trying to give us some momentum going into the next season so I really doubt WSW will be putting in a bid for HK.

This.

The best part of this story IMO is when you place it alongside our good fixture is that it looks the FFA do intend to give us some help and a few pushes in the right direction.

• Like 1

Firstly, remember Lucas Neill was meant to have been signed by us!
So it ain't done yet.
Harry Kewell playing for a pathetic $48k a year - probably less than Hoffman. I don't believe it.

What are the extras? A rent free mansion? A percentage of new membership sales? A percentage of everything sold with Harry Kewell's name on it?

If we only end up with one of Richard Garcia and Harry Kewell, Then who should we have?
Does anyone know how well Harry Kewell will fit in with the squad etc etc?

Edited by Parrot

I think people underestimate the pull agents have over players as well. I know the decision is with te player but when you have a twat the size of mandic pulling the strings behind the scenes feeding these guys egos and essentially using their talent to make a profit, I think it results in some of the ugly negotiations that have happened in the past.

Perhaps with out Mandic there dealing with Kewell is a different proposition.

This could be the moment when Melbourne Heart finally finds its place amongst the Melbourne sporting landscape. Right now a whole lot of people don't know or don't care who we are. With the likelyhood of a shit-tonne of media exposure and plenty of Kewell replica shirts wandering the streets, this could be the moment we become more significant than just the other Melbourne team.

The decisions the club makes this off-season are likely to shape the future direction of the club. This is a good start.

"It's Fox Sports understanding Kewell will be paid the minimum wage of $48k per season."

I dont mind if he signs tbh. As long as he is happy to take minimum wage and does not expect special treatment. Cant see that happening though.

Looks like I dont mind if he signs tbh

• Like 1

i think the fact that this has reached 4 pages and counting is a statement in itself. 

He is still a big deal to have a club... if he is generating this much attention when he hasn't even signed and the word hasn't gone out yet, imagine the publicity if it happens.

You can all have your pro's and con's, but the fact will still remain, he is an asset off the pitch... and with a decent pre-season, could prove vital on the pitch.

Very excited none-the-less about this season.

6 Pages and counting....

Don't really like the bloke and personally I think he's a greedy little bastard...but for a minimum wage it'd be stupid to pass him over. Sign the chojek up and move onto the international marquee!

• Like 1

SEN is probably just reporting what it thinks is going to happen. Just like The Age today saying it was a done deal in the headline, but then in the article saying "signs point to him signing".

I'm not believing anything until it's on Wikipedia!!

Michael Zappone said on SEN: 

“I think it’s a done deal, he looks like he’ll be pulling on the red and white shirt of Melbourne Heart next season. The 34 year old, I’m told is signing on the dotted line as we speak,” Zappone said on Tuesday morning.

“My understanding is he is going to be playing for minimum wage and he is really adamant that he wants one last crack at being able to play for the Socceroos at the World Cup," he said.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Kewell-poised-to-sign-for-Heart/59573

Ray Gatt tweeted 3 hours ago that Kewell "hasn't actually signed yet", and David Davutovic said on SEN an hour or so ago that Kewell and Heart are "very close" to a deal (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Dave-Davutovic-on-Harry-Kewell/8052). 

It looks like the deal is certain to be complete by the end of the week.

I reckon Kewell, his people and Heart probably wanted some media buzz about this signing, and I'd say they've received it in spades. I'd just like to see some other announcements shortly after Kewell, to ensure that Heart gets a good run of media coverage, ensuring that we'll have some buzz around the club leading into next season.

Harry Kewell playing for a pathetic $48k a year - probably less than Hoffman. I don't believe it.

What are the extras? A rent free mansion? A percentage of new membership sales? A percentage of everything sold with Harry Kewell's name on it?

Ray Gatt, the Australian's leading football writer, tweeted a few hours ago, in response to a tweet about Kewell's Heart deal including sponsorship arrangements, that he's "already heard there are sponsorship deals, including one with a car company". So Heart will pay him $48k and third parties will pay him whatever they please. The result is Heart gets Kewell for $48,000 for one season, and Kewell has a significant financial incentive to join Heart (due to the sponsorship arrangements), coupled with Kewell's drive to make next year's World Cup squad.

Love him, hate him or rate him. No matter what. One thing will be assured. Brand Awareness. That is what our club needs. We need to let people know that Melbourne Heart exists beyond football followers. Harry Kewell defintely will help lift our profile, if nothing else.

Edited by MHTIDALIVE
  • Like 3

The positives:

- kewell is still a household figure in Australia when it comes to football in this country

- if kewell plays well, he has potential to be a big influence on results

- might persuade a few neutrals to start supporting the heart, especially with 8 of our games being on FTA

The negatives :

- kewell was lacklustre in his spell with Victory and in all reality is past it

- potential injury prone

- club couldve made a more promising signing

Feel free to add to the lists. As a supporter all i can do is get by the clubs decisions and as always wish for thur best for the club, and that includes getting behind Kewell even though his time after time dissapointed.

Ray Gatt, the Australian's leading football writer, tweeted a few hours ago, in response to a tweet about Kewell's Heart deal including sponsorship arrangements, that he's "already heard there are sponsorship deals, including one with a car company". So Heart will pay him $48k and third parties will pay him whatever they please. The result is Heart gets Kewell for $48,000 for one season, and Kewell has a significant financial incentive to join Heart (due to the sponsorship arrangements), coupled with Kewell's drive to make next year's World Cup squad.

Jeep? 

Hyundai perhaps? With Hyundai sponsoring the league, it would add to the impression that the club has been working closely with the FFA to make this happen. In fact, I don't think the FFA would allow clubs or high profile players like Kewell to enter into sponsorships with competing car companies so as not to devalue Hyundai's sponsorship. Not 100% sure though.

Edited by Sash

Hyundai perhaps? With Hyundai sponsoring the league, it would add to the impression that the club has been working closely with the FFA to make this happen. In fact, I don't think the FFA would allow clubs or high profile players like Kewell to enter into sponsorships with competing car companies so as not to devalue Hyundai's sponsorship. Not 100% sure though.

Should be good. Out of the wheelie bin and into the Getz.

• Like 2