Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

Not a dig at anyone in particular, but I'm astonished at the level of vitriol being directed towards HK. Arguably Australia's greatest-ever player, probably no. 2 after Beckham in the list of footballers that non-football Australians have ever heard of. So he played for MV, so he's tried to do the best for himself throughout his career - so what?

People have been crying out for a 'name' player, increased memberships, increased attendances, higher profile, etc. etc. This might be it.

Wait 'til it's confirmed - if it is - and then give the guy a real welcome to the club.

I agree on not really giving a shit that he played for Victory, but the vitriol is very much deserved.  He's a completely selfish twat who's been disruptive wherever he's gone.  He was tolerated because he was a good player, but now that he's not clubs have been running a mile.  Has also shown very little respect for the Australian national team (until we qualified for the world cup and he wanted in).

Having said that, he does bring some advantages and on the off-chance this works out well we can all applaud the club..

I respect your opinions, but I really can't agree with the highlighted sentence. I don't particularly like the guy either, but he's played 56 times for Australia over 16 years and in various competitions.

If:

1) Scott Munn is in England;

2) Harry Kewell is in England; and

3) the international marquee player JA was talking to played in England this year (might be residing there)

is there not the chance that they intend to announce Kewell and Mr Marquee at the same time in England?

• Like 2

As has been said already, i think this is a pretty genius signing. I'm not Harry's biggest fan on the basis that he at Victory became the team, but jesus if he's serious about making the World Cup he'll bust an absolute gut. Plus he adds valuable leadership and experience. Good job Heart HQ if on Minimum-ish wage.

If not, then disgusting signing.

why is everyone like this, get behind him if he does infact sign

1, CHEAP if 48k is true

2, Still room for a marquee
3, for the sustainability of the club we need him 
4, shirts, crowds and memberships

5, he is a solid player

Do we want to survive or always be picky with who we sign? 

Ramsay, Mass and kewell much rather them than matt thompson colosimo and FRED

Its our club we love this club in this club we trust

• Like 3

Many good points here....

If our beloved club is only about winning then go ahead and sign up and do whatever it takes....Then-in a few years-  we'll see where this team is heading....We are close of creating an identity different of any other team, including the visitors. Moves like these, is at a wrong direction. This is my opinion. I'll support the club all the way...whatever they do.....but there's a lot of people that don't think that way....I think thay saying NO to Kewell will benefit us more as HEART.

If you honestly didn't cheer for him, you'd be embarrassing our club. You'd be part of the reason why we aren't moving forward.

Moving forward by living in the past.

This has to be the most elaborate troll ever by the club, it's too perfect not to be.

No fucking way.

'Fuck off'. you're fucked in the head

I have changed my mind on this and now think it would be great to sign Harry. Imagine all those visitor supporters walking around in their fork lift driver tops with a big hole cut out of the back where Harry's name and number used to be.

• Like 3

Could be both tbh... but I feel like there is/was contact with Karagounis, whether or not it will come to fruition...

Kewell just wants to play football to try sure up his WC spot and could be signed inside of the cap, but I'd rather the club to stand up for its 'philosophy' and integrity and knock back any approach...

That being said could you imagine JD pulled off Re-signing Garcia, and bringing in Karagounis, Kewell and a Patty Kisnorbo..!

The master plan..

Redders

Walker - Gerhardt - Kisnorbo - Ramsey

Germano - Karagounis

Dugandzic - Garcia - Golgol

Kewell

Kepper, Murdocca, Kalmar, Williams :up:

Plus a few more OS spots could make that i very competitive/dangerous side

I think signing him for minimum wage is a great on merit.

But we seem to have no long term plan and go after whoever's available such as Neill, Murdocca, Kewell.  What happened to signing the best young players, using foreign players to best ability and returning Socceroos who can give 3-4 years.

Also Munn basically made fun of Victory saying it was a gimmick and we'd keep with our plan of promoting youth and developing the culture of the club. 

• Like 1

Another point. Last season we signed Tadic, because (as Heart said) "having won three titles on the bounce during his time at Dinamo Zagreb alongside Luka Modric, Josip will bring a winning mentality" and Gerhardt because (once again, in the club's words) "He played in Bosnia last year and won the double, the league and the cup, so he brings a winning mentality."

Heart also signed Steven Gray last season, and almost certainly forced him to cough up this statement: “Getting straight to the point, wherever I’ve gone, I’ve won. I like to think I bring that hunger to the team. Being a success on the pitch is very, very important to me. I don’t want to just come here and make up the numbers, I want to win.”

Where did we finish? Second last. Then we released Gray and Tadic.

A 'winning mentality' is important, you can't achieve success if you don't really work for it, but it can't replace QUALITY.

To be fair gerhardt, tadic and garcia are the only three who can attempt to claim showing

Moments of quality last season. Tadics return for the crap supply he got was pretty decent. Put him in one of the top teams in the league and he probably would have been near on top scorer in the league IMO.

I agree with your points. Gerhardt, Tadic, and Garcia were just about our only quality players last season. And I agree with your assessment of Tadic.

What I was trying to get at with my post was that the club kept repeating the mantra of "winning mentality" with each and every signing, while our squad didn't have enough quality. The lack of quality was mainly due to the declining/lack of quality with players we'd previously signed, such as Colosimo, Thompson, Fred  (because of injury), Hoffman, Gray etc etc. I've said it elsewhere and I think its true, that Heart is getting smarter and better with signings each season, but the fact remains that last season we didn't bring in enough quality to make up for the not especially talented squad that we had to begin with last season.

I think we didn't bring it enough very good players last season mainly because of financial austerity, and I expect our signings to go up another notch leading into the next season because the club appears to be loosening the pursue strings. This deal with Kewell should give the club maximum chances to secure at least one big signing.

This post fully summarises my opinion of this signing, and it tries to elaborate on a number of points/issues already raised in this thread.

The club appears to be taking a Machiavellian whatever-is-necessary-to-get-results approach towards next season, which is perfectly fine with me after last season. Over the short term Heart just needs to play great winning football, so with that in mind I support the signing of Kewell.

The conditions of the deal are critical. If we sign Kewell on minimum wage, as is being widely reported, then its hard to fault Heart. Victory probably got ripped off paying several hundred thousand dollars for Kewell (or whatever is was), which was only agreed after ugly and protracted negotiations. Heart’s deal on the other hand is a steal, and negotiations seem to be moving easily and swiftly, which suggests that Kewell just really wants to play football. I think many are right in saying that he’s accepting such conditions with Heart mainly because he wants to make the World Cup, but it could also be the case that Kewell is trying to rebuild his image after what happened at Victory, where he obtained the image of being greedy and selfish.

Another point is the simple fact that if Kewell never played for Victory and had played for Sydney FC instead, then Heart supporters would happily welcome Kewell. Objectively, he is a very good attacking midfielder, who won’t take up a VISA spot, will play for minimum wage and has one of the best known faces in Australia. If you don’t look one-eyed at this possible signing, then you have to admit that it’s an excellent deal, as many here (including myself) have realised now that the emotions have subsided a bit.

I think that Kewell’s ‘brand’ alone will give a somewhat significant bump to Heart’s crowd attendances, membership sales and merchandise sales. But more importantly, I think Kewell could play a key role in Heart obtaining great on-field success next season. And if we win a lot and challenge for top spot next season, which I believe we would with Kewell and another 3 to 5 crucial signings, then I believe we’d see a substantial increase in crowd attendances, membership sales and merchandise sales. That would be Kewell’s best contribution: simply being an effective team player who assists the club in achieving on the pitch success.

Lastly, if anyone can get the best out of Harry Kewell, I think it’s Aloisi. He’ll have a lot of words with Kewell, and will communicate that he’ll have to work as hard as possible to play and stay fit. It is unlikely to be just a coincidence that our best player last season, Richard Garcia, was a former teammate of John Aloisi. Also, Aloisi got Grella to come to the A-League after saying he wouldn’t play here, accept minimum wage, pay for his own personal fitness regime and work as hard as possible to regain his fitness (which, unfortunately, wasn’t enough).

I think Kewell will be a real positive signing, but we need to see more.

Now announce karagounis so we can make headlines. Membership will exceed 10k. Come on Munn

Karagounis? LOL!!! Do we really want a 36 yr old who scored only 1 goal for Fulham playing for us?

Did you see his Fulham goal?

Edited by Murfy1

Redders

Walker - Gerhardt - Kisnorbo - Ramsey

Germano - Karagounis

Dugandzic - Garcia - Golgol

Kewell

Kepper, Murdocca, Kalmar, Williams :up:

Agree with this.

If Kewell is signed, then we only need to 1) re-sign Garcia, 2) sign Kisnorbo Or a quality international CB 3) Sign a marquee (like Karagounis), and then we'd easily have one of the best squads in the league. Such a squad would easily make the top 3 IMO.

TBH I really dont care that much whose playing for us - Unless the players are corrupt or something which is highly unlikely.

I would just like the club to make a Final next Season that I can attend to show that we are moving forwards and that one day MHFC can be a side that my kids can maybe support with me...

• Like 3