Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

Ok called the club spoke to media rep.

Both are just being rested no need for worksafe!

Maybe im just positive because I got my membership pack today!

Hope what he told you was true mate :)

Lets hope that they are in Frankston anyway to watch the game

The Frankston game has a big kids tournament before it. All the kids get membership packs and last year they were all running around with flags and stuff. If Kewell and Misfud aren't there for that then they would want to have a very good excuse because it's a great promo opportunity. I would think they would be though. All the games I've been to the whole team is there even if they aren't playing.

Ok called the club spoke to media rep.

Both are just being rested no need for worksafe!

Maybe im just positive because I got my membership pack today!

Hope what he told you was true mate :)

Lets hope that they are in Frankston anyway to watch the game

The Frankston game has a big kids tournament before it. All the kids get membership packs and last year they were all running around with flags and stuff. If Kewell and Misfud aren't there for that then they would want to have a very good excuse because it's a great promo opportunity. I would think they would be though. All the games I've been to the whole team is there even if they aren't playing.

Come to think of it, your pretty spot on there. Every game ive been to this pre season, they've all been there.

Seriously still can't believe this cunt is going to be our captain this season. So embarrassed.

We need to bulid a bridge and get over it.

No point giving it to him cause it isnt going to change the fact that he's now our captain.

Lets back the bloke until he gives us reason not too.

• Like 1

Seriously still can't believe this cunt is going to be our captain this season. So embarrassed.

We need to bulid a bridge and get over it.

No point giving it to him cause it isnt going to change the fact that he's now our captain.

Lets back the bloke until he gives us reason not too.

Agree with Libba

People who follow Harry's career close are well aware of his management's questionable decision making thought pattern.

How much is Harry to blame to most of the issues ? We will never know but perhaps less then some around here think.

I see him as a western Sydney boy with basic education who landed in the spotlight very early on.

His managers quickly saw a golden goose here and the rest is history.

He is mature now and knows very well what he is doing,

I have no doubt now, he balances his decision making between emotional need to still play for Australia (his last WC was a disaster) and his family's financial needs.

From football perspective, he is the best player this country produced.

Lets give him a chance and judge him only for what he does while wearing red and white.

• Like 6

Harry Kewell remains part box office attraction, part nostalgic remnant

• by: Gerard Whateley
  • October 12, 2013 12:00AM

WHERE is the line between box office attraction and nostalgic remnant? And on which side of it does Harry Kewell now reside?

Through a generation in which so much has been achieved, Kewell has been the iconic figure for football in ­Australia.

The most captivating, the most divisive, the most celebrated. For moments of both genius and tempest.

Across the sporting landscape he has been a household name since his teenage years. His public awkwardness offset by his on-field artistry. The natural idolatry undermined by his capacity to court quarrel.

The contradiction defining even Australia’s most recent tournament campaigns.

He came to personify the unrest and angst of the World Cup in Germany. But returned a sanguine and excitable figure in the Asian Cup quest in Qatar, his aplomb instrumental in the Socceroos’ run to the final.

Kewell’s influence, though, has dramatically diminished. Barely playing will do that to a man’s standing and reputation.

As he embarks on this A-League season the question is as apparent from the outside as it will be to Kewell himself: has its leading man anything left to offer football in Australia?

Two seasons ago, Kewell came to the competition’s ­biggest club, in the sporting capital, and seemingly invited his subjects to pay homage.

It was the arrival promoters had long hoped for. And for sports fans generally it was the opportunity to finally witness the prodigy at close quarters.

After a messy negotiation, one of the hallmarks of his ­career, a deal was struck that would see him profit from the numbers that accepted the privilege.

Although obviously underdone, he proved unpredictably durable through 25 games with Melbourne Victory. But his presence was ultimately under-whelming. His flashes could not sustain a team that sank amid acrimony, another hallmark from which Kewell has never been far.

Now the terms have changed. There appeared not a team in the world for the 35-year-old.

Fuelled by the lure of a third World Cup, but outside the favoured squad, it was Kewell who needed accommodation.

He found a willing Samaritan in former national teammate John Aloisi and a club with sound foundation principles but a hollow identity.

The pairing with Melbourne Heart was born out of necessity for Kewell. In prospect, a humbling experience from heady days prior.

It wasn’t a great gamble for Heart until it decided to make the veteran captain, a position of responsibility Kewell has rarely held or seemed suited. It magnifies the stakes and sharpens the judgments.

Most significantly, for Kewell it escalates this episode ­beyond a selfish endeavour.

He can’t be merely preoccupied with restoring his playing stocks and making the case to the national coach. He must engage with a squad of young prospects and experienced foreigners new to the A-League.

Their successes will be his successes. And the inverse equally true.

He must be more than a showpiece, he must be a leader.

Kewell retains the aura to again draw the masses to him if his on-field exploits prove worthy.

The A-League is more than the ageing stars it draws but it is one of competition’s inherent charms.

The quartet of Kewell, Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono has the unrivalled capacity to quicken the pace and the pulse.

The national cause might be better served if fringe Socceroo James Troisi opens the scoring for Victory at Etihad Stadium tonight. But to trigger a groundswell for a man, a team and a competition, a Kewell goal would be a strike of vaulting ambition.

Kewell’s story arc brings to mind that of Lleyton Hewitt.

Too brash for some public taste, he was as inclined to repel as endear through his phase of greatest accomplishment.

At the end, in the struggle, Hewitt has found appreciation soaring. His successes, while limited by previous comparison, are shared and exalted triumphs.

These are the waters Kewell wades into over the next six months. A journey to revive memories and lift an underdog team. While he rails against his football mortality Kewell might find more nourishing its redemptive powers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/harry-kewell-remains-part-box-office-attraction-part-nostalgic-remnant/story-fni2wcjl-1226738575607

Kewell anxious to prove he still has the power and the passion

He was the child prodigy who grew into the teenage sensation.

In his early 20s Harry Kewell was the most promising young player in the English game, a fact acknowledged when he was voted the Young Footballer of the Year by his fellow professionals in 2000.

For Australians he became a bona fide superstar; his status reflected at home when a poll of players, pundits and fans last year named him the country's greatest ever footballer.

Kewell has spent his career in the limelight but there have been downsides with chronic injuries in the latter half of his 20s, when he should have been at his peak, curtailing his game time for club and country.

He was not always the darling of the English club crowds - he played for Leeds and Liverpool - but he could always count on the adulation of Australia where he has been a talisman, none more so than the night seven years ago when he scored the crucial goal in a nail-biting World Cup match against Croatia to earn Australia a draw and a place in the knockout stages of the competition.

Things seem to happen around Kewell. Drama and controversy seem to follow him, so it is not surprising that as the new A-League season kicks off this weekend he is again at the centre of the story.

He will run onto the field at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night in the red and white of Melbourne Heart, wearing the captain's armband in the first of three A-League derbies between Heart and cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory. Two years ago, Kewell was playing in the same fixture, but that time in the navy blue of Victory.

Much water has passed under the bridge since then. Kewell decided not to take up an option to stay at Victory after a frustrating and ultimately disappointing 2011-12 season, returning to England for family reasons. The 2012-13 season was virtually a wipeout for the former Socceroo: he hardly played, and lost his place in the national team set-up.

Kewell, who turned 35 last month, insists the flame still burns. It is not his style to rage, but there's no doubt that he's fired up by the doubters. Having decided to return to Australia and sign for his former Socceroos teammate Heart's coach John Aloisi, he is determined to prove his critics wrong. He has not given up hope of making the Socceroos squad for the World Cup in Brazil, and knows that the only chance he has of impressing Holger Osieck is by tearing up the A-League.

''I knew how good he was because I played with him, but he still surprises me every day in training,'' Aloisi said. ''With Mark Viduka he has still got the most ability of any Australian player.

''I spoke to Harry a few months ago, and saw the hunger still in his eyes. He wasn't happy with how he performed at Victory. He wanted to come here early, get fit and prepare properly, which he has done. He's not going to be a screamer and shouter [as a captain], but he will be a good leader by the way he performs on the pitch. He sets such high standards, and that was the thought process behind signing him,'' Aloisi said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/kewell-anxious-to-prove-he-still-has-the-power-and-the-passion-20131011-2vdw3.html#ixzz2hPxh0i6y

It looks like Kewell is the main story of tomorrow. I think what these two articles show is that, although the club has done a lot of things well, we've never had a compelling narrative that has attracted a broad interest. Harry Kewell's road to (hopefully) redemption is the first real public interest story the club has had to tell. Imagine at the end of the season seeing two of Australia's best, Kewell and Aloisi holding up some silverware and answering their respective critics. That would be some story!

Edited by Sash

WHERE is the line between box office attraction and nostalgic remnant? And on which side of it does Harry Kewell now reside?

Through a generation in which so much has been achieved, Kewell has been the iconic figure for football in ­Australia.

The most captivating, the most divisive, the most celebrated. For moments of both genius and tempest.

Across the sporting landscape he has been a household name since his teenage years. His public awkwardness offset by his on-field artistry. The natural idolatry undermined by his capacity to court quarrel.

He came to personify the unrest and angst of the World Cup in Germany. But returned a sanguine and excitable figure in the Asian Cup quest in Qatar, his aplomb instrumental in the Socceroos’ run to the final.

Kewell’s influence, though, has dramatically diminished. Barely playing will do that to a man’s standing and reputation.

As he embarks on this A-League season the question is as apparent from the outside as it will be to Kewell himself: has its leading man anything left to offer football in Australia?

Two seasons ago, Kewell came to the competition’s ­biggest club, in the sporting capital, and seemingly invited his subjects to pay homage.

It was the arrival promoters had long hoped for. And for sports fans generally it was the opportunity to finally witness the prodigy at close quarters.

After a messy negotiation, one of the hallmarks of his ­career, a deal was struck that would see him profit from the numbers that accepted the privilege.

Although obviously underdone, he proved unpredictably durable through 25 games with Melbourne Victory. But his presence was ultimately under-whelming. His flashes could not sustain a team that sank amid acrimony, another hallmark from which Kewell has never been far.

Now the terms have changed. There appeared not a team in the world for the 35-year-old.

Fuelled by the lure of a third World Cup, but outside the favoured squad, it was Kewell who needed accommodation.

He found a willing Samaritan in former national teammate John Aloisi and a club with sound foundation principles but a hollow identity.

The pairing with Melbourne Heart was born out of necessity for Kewell. In prospect, a humbling experience from heady days prior.

It wasn’t a great gamble for Heart until it decided to make the veteran captain, a position of responsibility Kewell has rarely held or seemed suited. It magnifies the stakes and sharpens the judgments.

Most significantly, for Kewell it escalates this episode ­beyond a selfish endeavour.

He can’t be merely preoccupied with restoring his playing stocks and making the case to the national coach. He must engage with a squad of young prospects and experienced foreigners new to the A-League.

Kewell retains the aura to again draw the masses to him if his on-field exploits prove worthy.

The A-League is more than the ageing stars it draws but it is one of competition’s inherent charms.

The quartet of Kewell, Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono has the unrivalled capacity to quicken the pace and the pulse.

The national cause might be better served if fringe Socceroo James Troisi opens the scoring for Victory at Etihad Stadium tonight. But to trigger a groundswell for a man, a team and a competition, a Kewell goal would be a strike of vaulting ambition.

Too brash for some public taste, he was as inclined to repel as endear through his phase of greatest accomplishment.

At the end, in the struggle, Hewitt has found appreciation soaring. His successes, while limited by previous comparison, are shared and exalted triumphs.

These are the waters Kewell wades into over the next six months. A journey to revive memories and lift an underdog team. While he rails against his football mortality Kewell might find more nourishing its redemptive powers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/harry-kewell-remains-part-box-office-attraction-part-nostalgic-remnant/story-fni2wcjl-1226738575607

Best I've read so far this off-season. Superb Gerard.

Kewell anxious to prove he still has the power and the passion

He was the child prodigy who grew into the teenage sensation.

In his early 20s Harry Kewell was the most promising young player in the English game, a fact acknowledged when he was voted the Young Footballer of the Year by his fellow professionals in 2000.

For Australians he became a bona fide superstar; his status reflected at home when a poll of players, pundits and fans last year named him the country's greatest ever footballer.

Kewell has spent his career in the limelight but there have been downsides with chronic injuries in the latter half of his 20s, when he should have been at his peak, curtailing his game time for club and country.

He was not always the darling of the English club crowds - he played for Leeds and Liverpool - but he could always count on the adulation of Australia where he has been a talisman, none more so than the night seven years ago when he scored the crucial goal in a nail-biting World Cup match against Croatia to earn Australia a draw and a place in the knockout stages of the competition.

Things seem to happen around Kewell. Drama and controversy seem to follow him, so it is not surprising that as the new A-League season kicks off this weekend he is again at the centre of the story.

He will run onto the field at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night in the red and white of Melbourne Heart, wearing the captain's armband in the first of three A-League derbies between Heart and cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory. Two years ago, Kewell was playing in the same fixture, but that time in the navy blue of Victory.

Much water has passed under the bridge since then. Kewell decided not to take up an option to stay at Victory after a frustrating and ultimately disappointing 2011-12 season, returning to England for family reasons. The 2012-13 season was virtually a wipeout for the former Socceroo: he hardly played, and lost his place in the national team set-up.

Kewell, who turned 35 last month, insists the flame still burns. It is not his style to rage, but there's no doubt that he's fired up by the doubters. Having decided to return to Australia and sign for his former Socceroos teammate Heart's coach John Aloisi, he is determined to prove his critics wrong. He has not given up hope of making the Socceroos squad for the World Cup in Brazil, and knows that the only chance he has of impressing Holger Osieck is by tearing up the A-League.

''I knew how good he was because I played with him, but he still surprises me every day in training,'' Aloisi said. ''With Mark Viduka he has still got the most ability of any Australian player.

''I spoke to Harry a few months ago, and saw the hunger still in his eyes. He wasn't happy with how he performed at Victory. He wanted to come here early, get fit and prepare properly, which he has done. He's not going to be a screamer and shouter [as a captain], but he will be a good leader by the way he performs on the pitch. He sets such high standards, and that was the thought process behind signing him,'' Aloisi said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/kewell-anxious-to-prove-he-still-has-the-power-and-the-passion-20131011-2vdw3.html#ixzz2hPxh0i6y

This article almost sounds as if JA is eying off Viduka.

I wonder how HK will feel about Holger's sacking today? Wonfder if that will curb any enthusiasm he had.

I feel HK's best chance of going to the WC was with Holger in charge, but it now sounds as if the FFA will push the youth agenda with a new coach (which is how it should have been a while ago).

Edited by Heart_fan

I wonder how HK will feel about Holger's sacking today? Wonfder if that will curb any enthusiasm he had.

I feel HK's best chance of going to the WC was with Holger in charge, but it now sounds as if the FFA will push the youth agenda with a new coach (which is how it should have been a while ago).

I reckon if anything, it'll give him even more motivation to go out there and destroy the A-League competition.

He's a very driven guy and a new national team manager means he has a fresh start to prove himself on an even playing field with the rest of the potential squad. 

With holger even if he made to brazil, it would have been a disastrous campaign.

If Harry can shine now, anything is possible.

Possibly but a fit and firing Harry would have few peers in a Socceroos team today. The trip to Brazil will be a balance of old and new and Harry playing well would surely be a starter for Rio.

Wow, not sure what is worse, being accused of a lack of identity or having a hollow one.  Yet another unjustified and cheap snipe at Heart IMO.

For me, Kewell's presence at Heart is just as much about him stamping his legacy on the Australian sporting landscape as it is a way to get to Brazil.  Particularly now with Holger gone, the agenda of the national team may be significantly different to what it was 24 hours ago, especially for Kewell's prospects. 

He didn't get the opportunity with the v*****y, but he has now with the Heart, and as captain he is positioned to help drive his legacy and the Heart cause in the process.  Hope he and the Heart have a great season ahead.

Hollow identity... jog on.

"a club with sound foundation principles but a hollow identity"

"Wow, not sure what is worse, being accused of a lack of identity or having a hollow one.  Yet another unjustified and cheap snipe at Heart IMO."

What he's basically saying is that in his opinion Heart has no depth of character, that it does not shape itself from its internal values but allows itself to be shaped by external factors.

I'd agree that it's a cheap shot at MHFC, because IMO it could in fact be directed at any one of the A-League clubs, which are all heavily throttled by FFA to the point of blandness. Under such restraints it is actually quite hard to develop a solid identity. What I would like to ask Gerard is in what way does he think we have departed from our "solid foundation principles" and what else he would have us do to develop the identity that he sees as missing. That's not to say that there probably are things that we could do differently, but I'd like to hear Gerard back up his broad generalization with something more specific.

"a club with sound foundation principles but a hollow identity"

"Wow, not sure what is worse, being accused of a lack of identity or having a hollow one.  Yet another unjustified and cheap snipe at Heart IMO."

What he's basically saying is that in his opinion Heart has no depth of character, that it does not shape itself from its internal values but allows itself to be shaped by external factors.

Pretty harsh assessment for a club that's only 3 years old in my view, considering the following, that it has been established at a time when a mono-ethnic team is rightly discouraged and in a city where there is no logical separate geographic base. 

Clearly it will take a while to establish our identify in these circumstances.  Consider the converse- what is the others identity?  At present you would have to say is that the only thing they are recognised for nationally is having (easily) the most ignorant supporters in the country.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...