Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

You can sign the best players in the world, but until you stop training in a cow paddock, there's always going to be things like this happen. 

In a city the size of Melbourne there are plenty of alternatives to the so-called cow-paddock. If that really is the 'reason' - I would call it an excuse - then I suggest that the point that this is bad management is proven.

• Like 2

Sources on the injuries are: Sharpy for Mifsud, this morning.  SoccerStopagetime for Kewell, tonight.

Surely they both havent done one within 24 hours of eachother and someones just crossed their wires up. Id take Sharpys word over a twitter rumour ;) ... HK's fine

If im wrong ... faaarrrrrkkkkkk! -_- #foldtheclub

Edited by billyheart
  • Like 1

Credit to Heart for releasing some information about Mifsud and Kewell. All too often IMO Heart is reluctant to talk about injuries, and almost seem to try and cover them up.

According to the above article, Mifsud and Kewell are meant to "feature" in next week's intra-club match, so I guess these reported injuries aren't serious if they are going to be playing next week

Also, it is very welcome to hear some good comments about Wielaert, as I think he could be big for us this season: "My hunch is that Rob will be available for round one, he’s naturally very fit."

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Credit to Heart for releasing some information about Mifsud and Kewell. All too often IMO Heart is reluctant to talk about injuries, and almost seem to try and cover them up.

According to the above article, Mifsud and Kewell are meant to "feature" in next week's intra-club match, so I guess these reported injuries aren't serious if they are going to be playing next week

Also, it is very welcome to hear some good comments about Wielaert, as I think he could be big for us this season: "My hunch is that Rob will be available for round one, he’s naturally very fit."

Wielaert's an extremely underrated signing in my opinion, he was one of the top central defenders in the Netherlands over the last decade and providing he can stay fit, will be massive for us.

• Like 2

You can sign the best players in the world, but until you stop training in a cow paddock, there's always going to be things like this happen.

More likely a case of unfit and unconditioned players being pushed too hard in training to get fit

Sounds more like it. The surface at Epping is fantastic. It's why they've moved pre season training from the La Trobe paddock.

Anyway, I'm not taking SST as gospel at this stage. If it was Sharpy, well then that's a different matter.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Kewell breaking down with injuries before a big game, why am I not surprised  :rolleyes:

Did you even read the article? :hmm:

I dont see anything about Kewell being injured.

Even though im dissapointed i wont get to see Kewell or Mifsud in Frankston, I think its a pretty good idea to be honest to rest them both.

From what Mifsud told me on Sunday, the jet lag was still effecting him on Sunday as well so if you add training to that, i can see why he'd be a bit off.

Kewell has pretty much played in most pre season game since he signed. The bloke isnt 25 anymore and considering he has missed a fair chunck of football, probably the best move to sit him out.

• Like 2

That article is much more encouraging than the reports coming out last night.

So we're resting a couple of our big name players before the season proper - I don't have a problem with that. It's the sort of management I would expect from a professional club. Why risk two of your best in a game such as the one at Frankston?

Also a good opportunity to get Retre and Shroen in action against Adelaide as we'll probably need both of them at some time during the season.

• Like 1

Some of you are a bit uncharitable here.

TBH I'm surprised that some of our older players have been risked at all in some of the games that we have played on these grounds out in the boondocks somewhere, when it might have been more sensible to rest them (as we did with HK up in Shepparton).

On the one hand we're critical of all the injuries we have, and on the other we're critical because a couple of our stars aren't going to play on a VFL cow-paddock in Frankston.

We need to be consistent.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

David Davutovic just tweeted that HK only has general soreness, no hamstring strain.

Did he say anything about Mifsud?

HWouldnt normally doubt you sharpy but in this case, i want you to be wrong about Mifsud lol

Haha I hope I am wrong too!

Seeing as though it is still 2 weeks til round 1 he should be right by then and might not get called up for Malta? Although I presume he would

David Davutovic just tweeted that HK only has general soreness, no hamstring strain.

Did he say anything about Mifsud?

HWouldnt normally doubt you sharpy but in this case, i want you to be wrong about Mifsud lol

Haha I hope I am wrong too!

Seeing as though it is still 2 weeks til round 1 he should be right by then and might not get called up for Malta? Although I presume he would

If he is carrying a little niggling injury, long plane travel would not be recommended.

Playing for Malta under these circumstances could be very detrimental to his position at MHFC.

It may increase chances of worsening his condition during early parts of the season.

(Not another Fred pls!!!)