Melbourne Football

MHFC admin/training move?

HeartFc

Seriously need to look at this aspect of our club. Facilities.

Even before the coach. The facilities and I guess having a home with elite training and administrative facilities should have been a key component years ago.

It's been the key aspect that has let me down that meeting with the club before anything this was talked about as necessity and would be done. We are still not near this. The news the Chinese businessman who offered $9 million was going to keep us based at that shithole is frightening.

Until this is rectified continual improvement and striving for excellence is bullshit talk.

The board and senior management have failed here. Bundoora is not the answer. Epping would need work.

I think there may be other facilities we could convert or look to converting into our home. People will point to funds but remember, these jokers bought an A League license knowing what was needed. This item was a key criteria at the very beginning.

An elite competition with elite teams and elite players need elite facilities.

We need a home. Major thing for me.

• Like 1

Even before the coach. The facilities and I guess having a home with elite training and administrative facilities should have been a key component years ago.

It's been the key aspect that has let me down that meeting with the club before anything this was talked about as necessity and would be done. We are still not near this. The news the Chinese businessman who offered $9 million was going to keep us based at that shithole is frightening.

Until this is rectified continual improvement and striving for excellence is bullshit talk.

The board and senior management have failed here. Bundoora is not the answer. Epping would need work.

I think there may be other facilities we could convert or look to converting into our home. People will point to funds but remember, these jokers bought an A League license knowing what was needed. This item was a key criteria at the very beginning.

Bob Jane Stadium! I agree 100% but i know ill open a whole can of worms here but we have been offerd 7mil for the club...honestly were going nowhere at the moment it should happen...

Bob Jane Stadium! I agree 100% but i know ill open a whole can of worms here but we have been offerd 7mil for the club...honestly were going nowhere at the moment it should happen...

Nope not Bob Jane.

It's pointless discussing anything concerning Heart and South Melbourne. It isn't going to happen.

Sensible alternatives to what we have at the moment are all going to require money from somewhere in addition to whatever the Board might be prepared to put in. That basically means an injection of funds from Government somehow, such as recently occurred with the Mariners Centre of Excellence. IIRC we were looking at something similar in Casey, but the money was not forthcoming. And my gut feel is that it won't be.

The state government frittered away a huge sum on AAMI Park - nice stadium yes, but far too expensive. After spending $257m there there's not going to be any more for football for a long while, especially being in the AFL capital.

For the present we're just going to have to manage the club better instead of holding out our hand.

Doesn't victory train at goschs too?

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's where Victory regularly train. 

Correct!!! See them often as I am driving down Swan st to and from work. 

Great facilities where they have access to AAMI Park rooms after/before training, inclusive of lap pools, gym etc.

Damn they're lucky. 

I was speaking to Dylan, stefan and Ben a couple days ago and they commented on training.

They said it's not a good look training all around Melbourne, it gives a very unprofessional look on the club.

And Dylan also said the team morale was obviously down, because of results and travelling around looking for somewhere to train.

I tried asking him about JA, but he did not want to touch the subject, but he did say that it's not looking good for him.

I love speaking to Dylan, he gives a lot up. Great bloke.

:up:

• Like 1

Doesn't victory train at goschs too?

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's where Victory regularly train.

Correct!!! See them often as I am driving down Swan st to and from work.

Great facilities where they have access to AAMI Park rooms after/before training, inclusive of lap pools, gym etc.

Damn they're lucky.

Nope, just better run.

I saw the squad training at Melbourne Park last week from the train at Richmond station. Better profile for the club and it was just good seeing players there in red and white.

Absolutely completely agree. Sorry but La Trobe is out of sight and out of mind. If we are the Heart of Melbourne we should be visible in the heart of Melbourne. Training near AAMI a couple of times during each week should be mandatory.

It's pointless discussing anything concerning Heart and South Melbourne. It isn't going to happen.

Sensible alternatives to what we have at the moment are all going to require money from somewhere in addition to whatever the Board might be prepared to put in. That basically means an injection of funds from Government somehow, such as recently occurred with the Mariners Centre of Excellence. IIRC we were looking at something similar in Casey, but the money was not forthcoming. And my gut feel is that it won't be.

The state government frittered away a huge sum on AAMI Park - nice stadium yes, but far too expensive. After spending $257m there there's not going to be any more for football for a long while, especially being in the AFL capital.

For the present we're just going to have to manage the club better instead of holding out our hand.

Defeated attitude to just accept nothing can be done.

I agree, remove South Melbourne and anything from them to be associated with us. Bob Jane is a no no.

Take a look around at old sporting venues that need TLC. Combine that with around cause and take that to the right investor and government. Why did Westpac throw so much money for the facility for Collingwood? Advertising.

Combine it all take it to the Government and demand redevelopment and elite facilities.

I was speaking to Dylan, stefan and Ben a couple days ago and they commented on training.

They said it's not a good look training all around Melbourne, it gives a very unprofessional look on the club.

And Dylan also said the team morale was obviously down, because of results and travelling around looking for somewhere to train.

I tried asking him about JA, but he did not want to touch the subject, but he did say that it's not looking good for him.

I love speaking to Dylan, he gives a lot up. Great bloke.

:up:

cheers bud

I agree, remove South Melbourne and anything from them to be associated with us. Bob Jane is a no no.

Take a look around at old sporting venues that need TLC. Combine that with around cause and take that to the right investor and government. Why did Westpac throw so much money for the facility for Collingwood? Advertising.

Combine it all take it to the Government and demand redevelopment and elite facilities.

I wonder what happend to that rumour about windy hill. From memory the sticking point was the cricket pitch on one of the ovals or something... I guess it never got resolved

Fair go there. I don't think I said that we should do nothing. Managing the situation better means doing something, but I get fed up with every man and his dog seemingly sitting on their arses while holding out their hands for Government money for their own activity - which in reality is asking the taxpayer to look after them. If you want to look at how taxpayers' money is thrown away on some obscure activity or other you have to go no further than your local council.

I completely agree with you on the issue of existing facilities. Like you I would have thought that in a city the size of Melbourne there are some options that in fact don't require great gobs of money to bring up to standard. I also don't see why we cannot share facilities with one or more other sports clubs - as we apparently are already doing with Engelaar's rehabilitation.

OK so I'm having a rant, but sometimes I wonder whether the club administration is putting in the hard yards on these issues - the ones that really matter rather than  whole lot of feel-good peripherals.

Edited by jw1739

Good point.  If at the same time the company issued more shares to an investor or 2 to raise some capital (as distinct to selling their existing shares), this could be used as the "seed money" to get the govt behind us.  Govts hate it when they are putting in 100% - show you can pull your weight and they get a lot happier.

Fair go there. I don't think I said that we should do nothing. Managing the situation better means doing something, but I get fed up with every man and his dog seemingly sitting on their arses while holding out their hands for Government money for their own activity - which in reality is asking the taxpayer to look after them. If you want to look at how taxpayers' money is thrown away on some obscure activity or other you have to go no further than your local council.

I completely agree with you on the issue of existing facilities. Like you I would have thought that in a city the size of Melbourne there are some options that in fact don't require great gobs of money to bring up to standard. I also don't see why we cannot share facilities with one or more other sports clubs - as we apparently are already doing with Engelaar's rehabilitation.

OK so I'm having a rant, but sometimes I wonder whether the club administration is putting in the hard yards on these issues - the ones that really matter rather than whole lot of feel-good peripherals.

I wasn't having a go mate. Just that kind of talk is what the club is producing. It seems all too hard. Too many obstacles. Too many excuses.

You are right, we are based in Melbourne. There are heaps of locations. Look at defunct old VFL grounds not been used full time for a start.

Good point. If at the same time the company issued more shares to an investor or 2 to raise some capital (as distinct to selling their existing shares), this could be used as the "seed money" to get the govt behind us. Govts hate it when they are putting in 100% - show you can pull your weight and they get a lot happier.

Yep spot on.

Richmond got the funding due to an Aboriginal Learning Centre attached to the venue. And ME Bank as a sponsor.

That's what you need to do.

We joined up with Diabetes Victoria recently. Why not attach a facility for them and get a sponsor who could have naming rights to a ground and approach the Government? Diabetes is becoming a huge issue for the Government and would show good initiative. Have a sponsor and take this to the Government. Even have a community gym and pool attached.

Whatever. It just needs to be done.

The Richmond sports and training centre cost $20M according to this article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/new-centre-to-lift-tigers-chris-newman/story-e6freck3-1226030103691

From a mate at work whose son is a tigers supporter, there was a big campaign to get the members to put in for this centre. I was staggered to hear that members would just walk up and stump a few hundred dollars, even a thousand towards this project (this on top of their annual membership fee). So you could quickly generate a few million dollars and then get a loan and add sponsorship on top and you get the money. I'm sure they would have used Punt road as collateral to get the loan. So if you have a large membership base and have some property you can expand.

The Richmond sports and training centre cost $20M according to this article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/new-centre-to-lift-tigers-chris-newman/story-e6freck3-1226030103691

From a mate at work whose son is a tigers supporter, there was a big campaign to get the members to put in for this centre. I was staggered to hear that members would just walk up and stump a few hundred dollars, even a thousand towards this project (this on top of their annual membership fee). So you could quickly generate a few million dollars and then get a loan and add sponsorship on top and you get the money. I'm sure they would have used Punt road as collateral to get the loan. So if you have a large membership base and have some property you can expand.

The Fighting Tiger Fund.

This was used for a variety of things and they raised $6 million pretty quickly. Not all of it for the facility in which they received Government funding and Sponsorship.

They used that money for paying down the dent and enhancing the football department. Also the playing surface of Punt Road. But the actual ME Bank Centre building I don't think it was used for.

Ask about Windy Hill or Gleferrie Road or Victoria Park or another venue and try and obtain sponsorship and initiatives.

Thanks Melburnian for the update :up:

I don't want to bang on about Glenferrie road but apart from it being an iconic AFL ground of a previous era it ticks many boxes for me in terms of accessability to the city and being within easy reach of public transport which La Trobe isn't. A ground like that could be upgraded for training purposes (swimming pool, gym, etc) and shared with other sporting groups in the local cmmunity.

I can see how we have Harry working out at Carlton facilities given that Sidwell is Malthouse's manager so there is access to Princes Park.

Edited by HEARTinator

Thanks Melburnian for the update :up:

I don't want to bang on about Glenferrie road but apart from it being an iconic AFL ground of a previous era it ticks many boxes for me in terms of accessability to the city and being within easy reach of public transport which La Trobe isn't. A ground like that could be upgraded for training purposes (swimming pool, gym, etc) and shared with other sporting groups in the local cmmunity.

I can see how we have Harry working out at Carlton facilities given that Sidwell is Malthouse's manager so there is access to Princes Park.

No worries.

Yeah it seems suitable. Not been used by anything major and could yet be converted into an actual playing stadium of 15,000 which we could call home and play out of.

Was looking at Junction Oval but noticed the upgrades have been planned for 44 million upgrade for Cricket Victoria. I notice Cricket Australia chipped in as well as state and federal government and even the MCG.

They will fund a good initiative.

Glenferrie redeveloped to a 'boutique' stadium/training venue would be drool worthy

Oh hell yes!

Great Grandstand and all but they stopped using as a venue for a reason.

There is a complete lack of parking in the area and the ground itself is closer to a swamp than a pitch.

I remember St Kevin's Old Boys even decided to move on from there for these reasons.

Glenferrie redeveloped to a 'boutique' stadium/training venue would be drool worthy

Oh hell yes!

There is a complete lack of parking in the area and the ground itself is closer to a swamp than a pitch.

I remember St Kevin's Old Boys even decided to move on from there for these reasons.

Bummer  :(

Well, at least we would have something nice to look at to take our minds off the horrible football

Oh hell yes!

a swamp really suits our long ball game :wub:

Oh hell yes!

I remember St Kevin's Old Boys even decided to move on from there for these reasons.

Dat Michael Tuck stand. Hnnnnngg. Gives me a heritage boner. Hnnnng.

You can develop the Oval and surroundings. No parking but plenty of Public transport.

I firmly believe it's a good option for us. A dream yes I know but an option.

Develop it as a training complex, club rooms, public transport easy, close to all the money private schools. Hey, we could turn ourselves into the 'silvertails' club and leave the Tards scratching around Oakleigh, Footscray and Broady :lawl:

• Like 1

I do casual work at the coles next to the oval at glenferrie. Anyone seen the new pool and aquatic centre thats just been built?? Serious money has already been spent right there, funding could go either way.

A) No money left to spend

B) A brand new state of the art footballing facility could be worked in to compliment the new aquatic centre and finally do something with that piece of land.

Great position for club HQ as being right on the train line there ensures every passenger sees Melbourne Heart.

Fark it could be soooo good

Edited by sheepdog

I noticed that we have held a few press conferences there lately too. Not that I am reading anything into it, but given the perceived notion that there is bad blood between the two, I found it odd that we would hold press conferences there and now training