Melbourne Football

Massimo Murdocca

Deluka

From this (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1151032/Victory-beckons-for-Nichols) unnamed report:

Nichols's mooted departure would leave Mulvey with a gaping chasm in his midfield with Massimo Murdocca joining Melbourne Heart and on-loan midfielder Steve Lustica's expected return to his Croatian club Hajduk Split.

I was curious how Italian. Like were his parents born here or there.

I have a very Italian name but I'm about fourth generation and am way more Bogan Aussie than Greasy Wog :up:

No racism pls Does it count if referring to yourself?

Calm down Fev.

• Like 1

Methinks time for an announcement from MHFC.

From FFA website: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/nichols-to-leave-roar/66988

Mitch Nichols has refused the offer of a new contract from Brisbane Roar, paving the way to join former boss Ange Postecoglou at Melbourne Victory.

Nichols’s contract expired on April 30, and the Roar confirmed late Friday that the 24-year-old had decided to "seek new opportunities".

Reports in the Brisbane media indicate Nichols will instead link up with Postecoglou in Melbourne, leaving Roar's midfield stocks depleted, with Massimo Murdocca having left for Melbourne Heart and Ben Halloran and Steven Lustica also expected to leave.

Nichols played 125 matches for Brisbane Roar, scoring 24 goals and was a key part in the club’s back-to-back Hyundai A-League championships.

Brisbane Roar Managing Director Sean Dobson said the club was disappointed with Nichols’ decision, but accepted his desire to challenge himself at a new club.

“We’d like to thank Mitch for his contribution in his six seasons at the club and we wish him well in his future endeavours,” Dobson said.

“We’ve been in constant communication with Mitch and his management during this season, however at this time Mitch indicated he feels he needs a new challenge.

“From the club’s point of view, we’re comfortable knowing we did everything in our power to keep Mitch in Brisbane Roar colours.”

I consider the signing of Murdocca to be complete, given how often its been reported. Maybe the lack of an announcement is because the club wants to announce the signing of multiple players at once? Or perhaps they want to wait before the player is in Melbourne and is able to attend a press conference before they announce the signing (like what happened with Tadic, I recall)? Who knows.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't announced by Monday, at the latest. Although I don't especially mind. As long as quality players are signed for next season, then I'm not too fussed about when they are signed. Much better than signing a lot of bad players quickly.

I consider the signing of Murdocca to be complete, given how often its been reported. Maybe the lack of an announcement is because the club wants to announce the signing of multiple players at once? Or perhaps they want to wait before the player is in Melbourne and is able to attend a press conference before they announce the signing (like what happened with Tadic, I recall)? Who knows.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't announced by Monday, at the latest. Although I don't especially mind. As long as quality players are signed for next season, then I'm not too fussed about when they are signed. Much better than signing a lot of bad players quickly.

Looks like you're 'very surprised'...

• Like 1

I haven't heard that we were going to make an announcement today and so I am not disappointed that one hasn't been made.

I am upset though that other clubs, like last close season, seem to be going around with a shopping list whilst we are scavenging to see what we can find.

Fair point. Probably just board and used to Europe where the player speculation starts before the season is over and seeing players linked with other clubs here (eg. visitors).

Also, I feel last season we were slow off the mark in building a squad and I don't want to see a repeat this time around.

p.s. Steaks were good.

Edited by Peter

Looks like you're 'very surprised'...

Yes, I am. David Davutovic reported 2 weeks ago that "Heart is interested in uncontracted Brisbane Roar midfielder Massimo Murdocca. The 28-year-old former South Melbourne player fell out of favour when Mike Mulvey took over as Roar coach", and Sebastian Hassett reported 5/6 days ago that "Brisbane Roar midfielder Massimo Murdocca has all but sealed a move to Melbourne Heart". Those are two of the better football journalists around, and they reported A) that Murdocca is uncontracted B ) that he isn't happy with everything at Brisbane Roar (with him falling out with his coach) C) that we need more DMs D) that Heart have been interested in him for at least 2 weeks and E) that a deal is "all but sealed"! I reasoned that we should have signed and announced him by now.

Also, Heart have the least players out of every A-League team. We currently have only 14 players (not including Garcia or Hoffman, and including Mauk). That means we have 6 less players than most other A-League teams ATM, and 4 less players than the team with the second smallest amount of players, Sydney FC. So I assumed that we would have been more active in the transfer market by now, given that we have 9 spots to fill to have a full squad. I also assumed that players based in Australia, like Iain Ramsay, would be signed first and fairly quickly.

The only good news from this persisting silence is that we haven't re-signed Jason Hoffman. I give the club a big tick of approval for that.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Fair point. Probably just board and used to Europe where the player speculation starts before the season is over and seeing players linked with other clubs here (eg. visitors).

Also, I feel last season we were slow off the mark in building a squad and I don't want to see a repeat this time around.

p.s. Steaks were good.

We have to hope that the impression that we are 'slow off the mark' is just that - an impression only.

But then when you see just how quickly blokes like Babalj, Marrone and Behich were snapped up you do begin to wonder...and you read that Newcastle have signed Joey Gibbs, and are also competing in a 6-a-side tournament in Singapore...http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/271226,gibbs-signs-up-for-the-jets.aspx

Edited by jw1739

Massimo grew up in Bundoora so I guess Melbourne Heart is his natural home club in a way.

Wonder if his family still lives in the nice pad they had back in the day. Swimming pool and a vineyard - in suburbia. I kid you not.

I saw a bit of the Roar last season on account of living up here and Murdocca didn't really impress me, to be honest.

I can easily see him being a whipping boy on this forum for too many sideways passes and meaningless possession.

Then again he is very active and covers good ground so I can see how he might be of good use to us.

More than happy to have him on board.

Edited by Total Eclipse

Glad to see it done. I wonder when the deal was actually done?

Sebastian Hassett tweeted two hours ago, a little bit before these articles came out, that: "And so @Murdocca8 gets a release from Brisbane Roar - expect him to be wearing red and white stripes next season". I think he was lined up to join Heart a while ago, but Roar took their time to officially release him. I reckon the journalists got it largely right, and this all was done and dusted a week or so ago.

Of course, seeing it get officially announced by Heart tops what journalists say, though. Now its all completely official and sorted. But from my experience, journalists are more often right than not.

Now hopefully the other part of the tweet David Davutovic made a week ago is correct: "1-2 euro targets should be announced in next few wks from what I hear. Murdocca a done deal"