Melbourne Football

Off-Season Requirements

Bobbobbobmarley

If we're gonna suck, I'd rather we suck with players from Melbourne. Do a proper scout of the VPL & look for players who will play with a bit of passion. One of the things that bugs me about our squad now compared to season 1 & 2.

I've watched many VPL games and I don't believe the difference between A-League & state leagues is as large as some may think. In fact, state league is sometimes easier on the eye as they don't rely on fitness, strength etc. but rather technical ability.

If we don't have a scout watching at least 1 VPL a weekend then the club is fucked.

Also agree with everything above although I think our squad isn't worthy of being the worst team in the land. Definately a mental issue. Bunch of downhill skiers who are good for nothing when things don't go their way.

Sack Thompson, Hoffman, Colosimo, Mitchinson (Not good enough at this level), DMac

Tadic should probably go as he just doesn't suit our team. As much as I love him and wish that just for one game he would be paired up front with GolGol, Eli or Mate, it won't happen as this club is so stubborn on playing 1 up front.

We have nothing to lose by playing Vranks as our CB next season. Think of Good & Hammill.

Redmayne, Walker, Vrankovic, Gerhardt, Williams, Mebrahtu, Babalj, Kalmar Germano, Dugandzic & Garcia should all be in our squad next season without doubt. Rest should be new players/youth.

• Like 2

1. Sack John Aloisi

2. Work hard to renew current members by lowering prices if renewed by a certain date.

3. In this time, spread rumours of talks with marquee signings i.e Raul, Ronaldinho. Members and new members would take note.

4. Have a One Melburnian campaign. From May till August competition.

5. Sign an experienced overseas manager who has experience of building teams and winning trophies.

6. Sign a marquee

7. Launch advertising campaign. This time one that is actually good.

8. Get new fitness crew.

9. Release our Thompson, Colosimo, Bolton, Hoffman et al.

10. Smart signings of young, hungry, skillful and quick players.

11. Sack people who can't take us forward.

That's ten points off the top of my head. Can't be bothered going into depth right now.

Glad season is over. Fuck off Heart board and admin. Thanks for a horrible season. Enjoy your wooden spoon and making us the embarrassment of Melbourne.

Cheers.

Comprehensive, spot on and straight from the HEART :)

If we're gonna suck, I'd rather we suck with players from Melbourne. Do a proper scout of the VPL & look for players who will play with a bit of passion. One of the things that bugs me about our squad now compared to season 1 & 2.

I've watched many VPL games and I don't believe the difference between A-League & state leagues is as large as some may think. In fact, state league is sometimes easier on the eye as they don't rely on fitness, strength etc. but rather technical ability.

If we don't have a scout watching at least 1 VPL a weekend then the club is fucked.

Also agree with everything above although I think our squad isn't worthy of being the worst team in the land. Definately a mental issue. Bunch of downhill skiers who are good for nothing when things don't go their way.

Sack Thompson, Hoffman, Colosimo, Mitchinson (Not good enough at this level), DMac

Tadic should probably go as he just doesn't suit our team. As much as I love him and wish that just for one game he would be paired up front with GolGol, Eli or Mate, it won't happen as this club is so stubborn on playing 1 up front.

We have nothing to lose by playing Vranks as our CB next season. Think of Good & Hammill.

Redmayne, Walker, Vrankovic, Gerhardt, Williams, Mebrahtu, Babalj, Kalmar Germano, Dugandzic & Garcia should all be in our squad next season without doubt. Rest should be new players/youth.

The problem with each of Williams, Mebrahtu and Kalmar is that they are either red hot or stone cold. You just can't afford to carry players like that with a 23-man squad and just 27 games in the season. Willo and Golgol are with us one more season; Kalmar's contract is up.

Germano has done very little this season; he's injury prone and not worth occupying a visa spot. IMO should be released.

For a marquee? Use some brains and sign someone who is going to appeal to the Melbourne community via their ethnicity/origin call it what you will. A so-called name is no good in itself. I have never heard of most of the players mentioned on the marquee thread. But whoever it is has got to be the marketing and selling focal point of the club.

And we need to unashamedly start tapping into the large 'non-Euro' population of Melbourne. Have we ever even looked at a player from the AFC other than Singh (S1).

The problem with each of Williams, Mebrahtu and Kalmar is that they are either red hot or stone cold. You just can't afford to carry players like that with a 23-man squad and just 27 games in the season. Willo and Golgol are with us one more season; Kalmar's contract is up.

Germano has done very little this season; he's injury prone and not worth occupying a visa spot. IMO should be released.

For a marquee? Use some brains and sign someone who is going to appeal to the Melbourne community via their ethnicity/origin call it what you will. A so-called name is no good in itself. I have never heard of most of the players mentioned on the marquee thread. But whoever it is has got to be the marketing and selling focal point of the club.

And we need to unashamedly start tapping into the large 'non-Euro' population of Melbourne. Have we ever even looked at a player from the AFC other than Singh (S1).

It doesn't matter so much if not many have heard of the marquee at the start of the season, what does matter is that everybody knows who he is by the end of the season (Ono is a good example of this)

• Like 1

How about Nguyen Trong Hoang? Vietnamese, attacking midfielder, 23yo, also plays in the National Team.

1. Sack John Aloisi

2. Work hard to renew current members by lowering prices if renewed by a certain date.

3. In this time, spread rumours of talks with marquee signings i.e Raul, Ronaldinho. Members and new members would take note.

4. Have a One Melburnian campaign. From May till August competition.

5. Sign an experienced overseas manager who has experience of building teams and winning trophies.

6. Sign a marquee

7. Launch advertising campaign. This time one that is actually good.

8. Get new fitness crew.

9. Release our Thompson, Colosimo, Bolton, Hoffman et al.

10. Smart signings of young, hungry, skillful and quick players.

11. Sack people who can't take us forward.

That's ten points off the top of my head. Can't be bothered going into depth right now.

Glad season is over. Fuck off Heart board and admin. Thanks for a horrible season. Enjoy your wooden spoon and making us the embarrassment of Melbourne.

Cheers.

THIS.

1. Sack John Aloisi 2. Work hard to renew current members by lowering prices if renewed by a certain date. 3. In this time, spread rumours of talks with marquee signings i.e Raul, Ronaldinho. Members and new members would take note. 4. Have a One Melburnian campaign. From May till August competition. 5. Sign an experienced overseas manager who has experience of building teams and winning trophies. 6. Sign a marquee 7. Launch advertising campaign. This time one that is actually good. 8. Get new fitness crew. 9. Release our Thompson, Colosimo, Bolton, Hoffman et al. 10. Smart signings of young, hungry, skillful and quick players. 11. Sack people who can't take us forward. That's ten points off the top of my head. Can't be bothered going into depth right now. Glad season is over. Fuck off Heart board and admin. Thanks for a horrible season. Enjoy your wooden spoon and making us the embarrassment of Melbourne. Cheers. Agreed on Every Single point!

...its gonna be a long off season.

I hear JA has already locked himself in a room, playing Football Manager, and is not coming out till he wins the league.

...he says he is doing ok, he has set the game to easy, Vinnie Grella isn't injured, he found an online cheat and he has hired Sir Alex Ferguson and Mourinhio as assistants. Messi is his marque. At this stage, he has played half the season and is sixth....but he has had dodgy refs, and Messi is still learning to play as left back, ...oh and it rained in one game, which wasn't very fair....might just reset and start again....for the fifth time

Are you doing OK TA? Seems like you might need some professional help :lawl:

• Like 1

...its gonna be a long off season.

I hear JA has already locked himself in a room, playing Football Manager, and is not coming out till he wins the league.

...he says he is doing ok, he has set the game to easy, Vinnie Grella isn't injured, he found an online cheat and he has hired Sir Alex Ferguson and Mourinhio as assistants. Messi is his marque. At this stage, he has played half the season and is sixth....but he has had dodgy refs, and Messi is still learning to play as left back, ...oh and it rained in one game, which wasn't very fair....might just reset and start again....for the fifth time

If he were given that sort of budget in real life then we would win the league even with Mehmet coaching us!

We do seem to get an amazing number and frequency of training injuries. We need a new training pitch that doesn't regularly cripple our players. It doesn't matter who we have signed of they are injured. Look at Germano, virtually the whole season wasted.

We don't have to use Latrobe, do we. We're there by choice. There's a host of sports facilities in Melbourne, outdoor and indoor, and perhaps one of our problems is that we don't mix up the training routines and venues enough. We could, for example, move to the Veneto Club with its artificial surface?

In the gap between S1 and S2 we did a lot of work on each individual player - Alex Terra in particular - aimed at sorting out musculo-skeletal issues. I wonder whether we still do it?

All these issues roll into one IMO. Insufficient hunger by everyone at the club to go the extra mile, insufficient pride in the shirt, and failure to realise that MHFC is a football club. Far too much time this season spent on peripherals that have nothing to do with performance on the pitch. No other club worries about crap like Twitter handles etc. And it shows in the relative positions on the ladder.

We do seem to get an amazing number and frequency of training injuries. We need a new training pitch that doesn't regularly cripple our players. It doesn't matter who we have signed of they are injured. Look at Germano, virtually the whole season wasted.

We don't have to use Latrobe, do we. We're there by choice. There's a host of sports facilities in Melbourne, outdoor and indoor, and perhaps one of our problems is that we don't mix up the training routines and venues enough. We could, for example, move to the Veneto Club with its artificial surface?

In the gap between S1 and S2 we did a lot of work on each individual player - Alex Terra in particular - aimed at sorting out musculo-skeletal issues. I wonder whether we still do it?

All these issues roll into one IMO. Insufficient hunger by everyone at the club to go the extra mile, insufficient pride in the shirt, and failure to realise that MHFC is a football club. Far too much time this season spent on peripherals that have nothing to do with performance on the pitch. No other club worries about crap like Twitter handles etc. And it shows in the relative positions on the ladder.

Might be an option to send them to a well resourced AFL club, they are always dealing with soft tissue injuries

and your suggestion of moving the training around might get us over our abysmal away form :P

Edited by Dylan

Might be an option to send them to a well resourced AFL club, they are always dealing with soft tissue injuries

and your suggestion of moving the training around might get us over our abysmal away form :P

North Melbourne is a club who have had an amazing soft tissue injury record the past two years.

Brad Scott talks about not having the same resources as other clubs but have hired the best people regardless of that.

Would take two seconds to research this fact, another two seconds to pick up the phone and get in contact with them and ask to have a chat about what they are doing.

Also North Melbourne are trying to drop the "poor me" image and got Arden street redeveloped into Agis Park and have one of te better facilities in Australia now.

The club talk too much and don't act. Get off your arse and get facilities developed. Pester the government and pester sponsors. Don't stop until an agreement has been done. Call the training ground "Coca-Cola Park" for all I care just get it done.

The training facilities are embarrassing.

Time the club started to act as a profession, elite organisation. My thinking if for this to occur new people need to be involved at the club. The current regime are not good enough.

• Like 1

Good points. Look at the physicality of AFL and the way that players can be knocked around heavily and yet get up to play for another two hours just a week later. Whereas one of our boys trips over and is 'out for four weeks.'

So, different game, different stresses etc., and perhaps it's all done by cortisone injections, but I agree wholeheartedly - pick up the bloody 'phone and find out how they're doing it and we're not.

Good points. Look at the physicality of AFL and the way that players can be knocked around heavily and yet get up to play for another two hours just a week later. Whereas one of our boys trips over and is 'out for four weeks.'

So, different game, different stresses etc., and perhaps it's all done by cortisone injections, but I agree wholeheartedly - pick up the bloody 'phone and find out how they're doing it and we're not.

It's not hard and requires no money which the club bitch and moan about as excuse for not doing things.

I am sick of the club's excuses. 

I do not support North Melbourne, and I am just a fan, but I have researched good injury records and stumbled on this. How hard can it be for a professional club?

That is the thing. The club are not in any way behaving like a professional club. A simple phone call and a meeting could change the whole process and make us the envy of the league. Not about money as we see with North Melbourne.

Good points about looking around our own backyard for ideas. The AFL boys do weight training and engage in far more physical per-match preparation that's why they are used to the bump and grind during a match whereas our lads don't need that kind of preparation. But in terms of man management, which is where Popovic had excelled, I would have thought that spending time with someone like Mick Malthouse would have been of some benefit to JA. Just saying. But overall JA, by his own words recently, has shown that he was ill prepared to take on a senior coaching role ATM. He needed to cut his teeth as an assistant senior manager before showing he had the goods to be the top dog.

We need more Victorians, in particular Melburnians. If the club wants or needs it's own identity let's be the team of local boys going up against the best in the country and foreigners from all over the world, something Melbourne could really get behind.

It'd be easy to do. First get Bresciano home and signed up as our Aussie marquee and grab the best 6+ Victorians from the VPL and other state leagues. Then start a "We are Melbourne" advertising campaign centered around the local boys. Record heartfelt videos of them in iconic Melbourne locations and local football clubs describing what Melbourne and its people mean to them, what club they come from etc. the possibilities are endless. You could pump the whole red and white are Melbourne's colors or you could get Viduka on board in some shape or form.

A team of Melburnians for Melbourne is a whole lot more appealing to me than relocating us to Dandenong or some other shithole and changing our name to South-East Melbourne Heart. Plus if we're gonna lose games I'd rather watch local boys with passion doing it than a bunch of New South Welshmen who don't give a fuck about the club or the city.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 5

My suggestions to fix our problems: 1. Get rid of old, tired players Bolton (great servant but past his best), Colosimo, Coyne, Fred, Hoffman, Macallister, Meeuwis, Thompson 2. Sign some Free Agent A-League talent (I don't know if these guys are out of contract but I would target them) Nichols, Gamiero, Goodwin, Halloran, Janjetovic, Zahra, Nagai 3. Sign older players that will ACTUALLY contribute for example: Madaschi, Ogenovski, Breciano, Cahill, J Kennedy 4. Sign an international worthy Marquee for example: Raul, Gattuso, Lampard, Totti, Pirlo, Nakamura, Endo, Drogba, Henry, Park Ji Sung, Ronaldinho - my vote would be Henry personally 5. Promote VICTORIAN talent 6. Actually give more youth league players a go at Senior level for example: Mauk, Kaya, Z. Walker, Groenewold

Bresciano is old and tired, and Kennedy is a one-trick pony.

Mauk is already signed to the senior squad for next year.

One thing we should do for next season is give the present away kit the flick; it has become psychologically associated with failure. And never play in white shorts, because we look like a bunch of pansies in them.

My suggestions to fix our problems: 1. Get rid of old, tired players Bolton (great servant but past his best), Colosimo, Coyne, Fred, Hoffman, Macallister, Meeuwis, Thompson 2. Sign some Free Agent A-League talent (I don't know if these guys are out of contract but I would target them) Nichols, Gamiero, Goodwin, Halloran, Janjetovic, Zahra, Nagai 3. Sign older players that will ACTUALLY contribute for example: Madaschi, Ogenovski, Breciano, Cahill, J Kennedy 4. Sign an international worthy Marquee for example: Raul, Gattuso, Lampard, Totti, Pirlo, Nakamura, Endo, Drogba, Henry, Park Ji Sung, Ronaldinho - my vote would be Henry personally 5. Promote VICTORIAN talent 6. Actually give more youth league players a go at Senior level for example: Mauk, Kaya, Z. Walker, Groenewold

^ Thanks for summarising what everyone else said in one solitary post...