Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

How many spots do we have left if you don't include Hoffman or Garcia as taking up spots?

We have 4 spots left to reach the minimum squad size of 20 (we have 16 players currently, including Kewell, Mauk and Garuccio). Not counting Hoffman and Garcia, we can sign 7 more players.

Scott Munn said last Friday to SBS's The World Game that 2 of our remaining 3 VISA spots would be filled by next Monday, with deals between 2 foreign players meant to be (in Munn's phrasing) "concluded" by then. It's conceivable that Garcia and Hoffman (who seems to think he's re-signed) could be announced before then as well. That would give us a squad with just enough players to complete in the A-League (20), with the option of signing 3 more players, right at the start of our pre-season.

Four player announcements are required for that all to happen, but I reckon it looks like Scott Munn and John Didulica have planned things out pretty meticulously. And given that Munn said on Monday that Heart want a deal with Kewell to be concluded in "the next seven to ten days", suggests to me that there could indeed be a lot of player announcements sooner then we think...

Melbourne Heart secures Harry Kewell and plans to add another marquee signing

Matt Windley Herald Sun June 6 2013

WITH Harry Kewell secured, Melbourne Heart intends to add a marquee signing and two international players to what it hopes will be a championship-quality squad for next season.

Heart announced yesterday it had signed Kewell, 34, on a one-year deal that ends before the World Cup in Brazil.

Kewell's wage will be paid from the salary cap, which allows Heart to find a replacement for last season's marquee player, Fred.

Talks are continuing with Kewell's former Socceroos teammate Richard Garcia in the hope he will re-sign with the club.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica said the club was working hard to secure "as many international-quality players" as it could.

"We've brought in Harry now, who's got brilliant international credentials and we're speaking with two or three other players, all of whom have got high-level experience," he said.

"There's no doubt that when the players that we are speaking to see that ambition then they will be more inclined to come on board."

Kewell's move will add spice to hostilities between Heart and Victory given Kewell spent the 2011-12 season with the latter.

Heart's failure last season to lure David Beckham and Lucas Neill on short-term deals makes Kewell's arrival a timely boost for the young club, which had an average home crowd of 8560 last season.

"It's fantastic for our club because he's such a wonderful player and it signals our intent to be ultra-successful this season, but I also think it's great for the league in terms of continuing the momentum of last season," Didulica said.

Heart has signed 18 players for next season, most of whom will start pre-season training on Monday.

Kewell is expected to arrive in Melbourne late this month with a view to starting training from July 1.

The move helps his last-gasp attempt to play at the 2014 World Cup, which Socceroos legend Mark Bosnich said yesterday was an achievable goal.

"Harry's obviously coming back here to put himself in the shop window for him to go to Brazil with the Australian team and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever," Bosnich said.

"If Harry gets himself in top shape and is playing at the very height of his form then there's no reason why he can't be in the squad."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-confirms-it-has-signed-socceroo-harry-kewell/story-fnii0g4g-1226657835286

Plenty of interest in Nahki Wells from Championsip clubs after all the media attention Bradford got for their League Cup run. Pretty sure he confirmed he'd be sticking around for at Bradford now that they've been promoted to League 1. Would be a great player to have, but in the system we play he'd be pretty ineffective as a lone striker, much like Tadic was. Needs to be someone in the Berisha mould that will work their socks off and can physically pressure the opposition centre backs.

• Like 1

Mate was very dissapointing before he got injured.  Showed nothing other than the first game against a MV team with holes everywhere and then when he played through the middle as a substitiue one game..

Mate lacks the ability to beat a man one on one and lacks strength.  For me he is best as a second striker, not wide where he just gets lost..

• Like 2

Mate's first season is a much better indication of what he can do. Last year was interrupted from pre-season and then ended prematurely with the ankle. He did very little pre-season training from what I recall. He had a hip issue before the season started. I read recently that it's been operated on since he's been out with the ankle. I think a fit Mate could be a huge addition this year.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Mate's first season is a much better indication of what he can do. Last year was interrupted from pre-season and then ended prematurely with the ankle. He did very little pre-season training from what I recall. He had a hip issue before the season started. I read recently that it's been operated on since he's been out with the ankle. I think a fit Mate could be a huge addition this year.

This,

If he had been at Solid European Club or even at an AFL club like Geelong he never would have been rushed into the season as he was and he probably would not have reinjured himself.

Judging from these comments from Luca$ and Mark Schwarzer, it would appear that the short length of the A-League season (a gripe of mine) is preventing A-League clubs attracting Australian, and I dare say overseas players, to play here. I want to watch the best players available and having more quality players will improve the all round quality of the competition. Look at how Japan and Korea have improved.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/news/1154803/World-Cup-key-to-Neill-s-club-choice

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155019/Schwarzer-set-to-leave-Fulham

If the competition wants to keep improving this situation must be addressed.

Judging from these comments from Luca$ and Mark Schwarzer, it would appear that the short length of the A-League season (a gripe of mine) is preventing A-League clubs attracting Australian, and I dare say overseas players, to play here. I want to watch the best players available and having more quality players will improve the all round quality of the competition. Look at how Japan and Korea have improved.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/news/1154803/World-Cup-key-to-Neill-s-club-choice

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155019/Schwarzer-set-to-leave-Fulham

If the competition wants to keep improving this situation must be addressed.

Don't think you'll find too many people arguing with you Peter. 27 matches plus a couple of play-offs if you're lucky is probably half of what many play overseas.

Three obvious ways to get more games:

2-4 more clubs (will take time);

FFA Cup (need to have all clubs with the same season for this to work);

A-League Cup - IMO this is step 1 and is easily done. Round 1 is the bottom four clubs from previous season are drawn against each other, two winners progress to Round 2. Round 2 is eight clubs, four winners progress to the semis. Then the semis and final. Draws for each round to be 'out of a hat' as per the FA Cup. You could make each round a "home and away" to double the number of games if you wanted.

Starting with an A-League Cup also gives clubs another trophy to play for. Only a small step, but at least it's something.

I'd rather see the a-league expanded to 12 teams. That would get it to 33 plus the knockout nationwide cup thats proposed (fa cup style).

So would I, but gee it would dilute the competition even more. There's not enough quality Australians to be able to field that many sides. We're scraping the barrel as it is.

I'd rather see the a-league expanded to 12 teams. That would get it to 33 plus the knockout nationwide cup thats proposed (fa cup style).

So would I, but gee it would dilute the competition even more. There's not enough quality Australians to be able to field that many sides. We're scraping the barrel as it is.

There is more than enough quality in the VPL & NSWPL to provide a solid platform for 2 more teams, plus the talent in the NYL. Just off the top of my head guys from the VPL that could do a job at A-League level: Rixon, Bran, Topalovic, Bulloch, A.Kearney, Foster, Theodore, Taseski, Sarkies, Italiano, etc

A logical move for future expansion would be to allow loans between A-League clubs. Even if it was 3 x 10 game loans per club, per season. I'd be happy to see guys like Mauk & Garuccio given an opportunity to get game time on loan at another club if they had the opportunity.

Forgot about Culina, I reckon he'd be pretty handy in the centre of midfield!

At the same time though we've got to be wary about a clash of egos, having Culina, Kewell, Garcia and our marquee all in the same squad could either turn out brilliant or end in disaster if they aren't man-managed correctly.