Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

You've probably seen it. "I hear you" in reply to a fan asking for the Heart to look at Karagounis. I don't think I'm reading too much into this one.

Well, between the survey and this quote, there can be no doubt Heart HQ are aware of supporters expectations.

Initially I was against Kewell but his last few games for victory he was starting to play well. Obviously wants to be apart of the world cup squad so has that added hunger to preform. 

Who would people rather? Garcia or Kewell? Id say if we get Kewell Garcia would be gone. 

Initially I was against Kewell but his last few games for victory he was starting to play well. Obviously wants to be apart of the world cup squad so has that added hunger to preform.

Who would people rather? Garcia or Kewell? Id say if we get Kewell Garcia would be gone.

Money obviously comes into depending on price. For arguments sake on the same $ I'd take Harry by a whisker. Bit of a risk but.

pedj bojic been released by central coast. I heard he might be going to Sydney, but I do know we were interested in him at one stage last year

He's gone to Sydney

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152846/Mariners-stars-destined-for-exit-door

Who else have they signed? Renaldo? Messi? Who is there book keeper? It's fucking bullshit that they are able to keep on signing all these players

pedj bojic been released by central coast. I heard he might be going to Sydney, but I do know we were interested in him at one stage last year

He's gone to Sydney

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152846/Mariners-stars-destined-for-exit-door

Who else have they signed? Renaldo? Messi? Who is there book keeper? It's fucking bullshit that they are able to keep on signing all these players

Their book keeper is the A-League auditor, who doubles at the Janitor... sweeping so much under the rug!

He's gone to Sydney

But its fucking funny that they always remain shit. :up:

• Like 4

He's gone to Sydney

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152846/Mariners-stars-destined-for-exit-door Who else have they signed? Renaldo? Messi? Who is there book keeper? It's fucking bullshit that they are able to keep on signing all these players

But its fucking funny that they always remain shit. :up:

Fucking shit enough to win the league two more times than us..

He's gone to Sydney

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152846/Mariners-stars-destined-for-exit-door Who else have they signed? Renaldo? Messi? Who is there book keeper? It's fucking bullshit that they are able to keep on signing all these players But its fucking funny that they always remain shit. :up:

Fucking shit enough to win the league two more times than us..

Not when we have been around mate...

When you look at their squads and the money they have spent on their squads since we have been in existence in the last three seasons they have been woeful.

Just goes to show that unlike some other football leagues around the world where money can influence success, this is not so much for the A-League where there are salary cap and player restrictions. 

IMO, the CCM are consistently the best performing side over the last three seasons and whilst there was some doubt on whether players would get paid late last season, they still performed well on the domestic front and achieved silverware. 

Team unity, harmony and strong club culture are vital to an A-League club's success, because we can't spend the money like in other leagues.  To me, these are just as important as Heart's signings when the club undertakes Season 2013/14.

• Like 3

Just goes to show that unlike some other football leagues around the world where money can influence success, this is not so much for the A-League where there are salary cap and player restrictions. 

IMO, the CCM are consistently the best performing side over the last three seasons and whilst there was some doubt on whether players would get paid late last season, they still performed well on the domestic front and achieved silverware. 

Team unity, harmony and strong club culture are vital to an A-League club's success, because we can't spend the money like in other leagues.  To me, these are just as important as Heart's signings when the club undertakes Season 2013/14.

These points are spot on.

I am hoping Heart moves away from each season being like a new "Dirty Dozen" movie where just as you get to know a player they are shown the door, and signs players to build a solid, winning culture.

• Like 1

This from Tony Palumbo on the TWG website:

The significance of the derby

Admirers of Lazio owner Claudio Lotito - apparently they're out there - are awaiting anxiously the outcome of the Coppa Italia final. The chairman is not amused with the club's second half of the season. If Lazio was to fail in the Cup, get ready for a substantial exodus of players.

So, begs the question, Louis Saha anyone?

Huge fan of Klose, I think he has one more year left at Lazio however.  Not sure he will be leaving them and the Serie A next season, particularly with Brasil 2014 around the corner.

I think maybe a few big name players like Klose will try and stay in the more recognised football leagues in the world next season, so they can give themselves the best chance of playing in Brasil 2014, even if it is at squad level.  World Cup Brasil, not going to get bigger than that for quite a while.

I am tipping however, after their Brasil 2014 swan song players like Klose, Pirlo and other big name international retirees will be more open to the idea of coming to play in the A-League.  Maybe we should get in there now before other A-League, Chinese or MLS clubs come snooping around. 

Edited by Semper Cor

Klose's still going great, but hey we can dream. 

Point is there is a long time between now and end of Brasil 2014, and there will be a few players like Klose who will be in their mid-30's.  Who knows they may be looking for something different, a new challenge perhaps.  Wouldn't hurt to start exploring these options now.

These points are spot on.

I am hoping Heart moves away from each season being like a new "Dirty Dozen" movie where just as you get to know a player they are shown the door, and signs players to build a solid, winning culture.

Alex Ferguson at Man Utd was able to do this well.  As soon as a player looked to get too comfortable or deemed to challenge club culture, he moved them on e.g. Beckham.  His ability to rejuvenate a squad again and again over 26 years was one of the keys to Man Utd’s success.

This may be more challenging in the A-League where there is a salary cap and player restrictions, but there’s nothing stopping from introducing a club culture where playing for the club is more than just a stepping stone to advancing one’s career or playing for a pay check each week.

In a ten team league where the margins are close (if Heart just won two of its’ last few games it would have reached finals), introducing a culture where players feel immense pride and engagement to the club, shirt and its’ fans (cliché I know), could very well mean the difference between making finals or not, reaching the ACL or not or even finishing on top of the table.  The best thing about a strong club culture is that it’s free.  In a league where there is a salary cap, it could be the best signing a club can make.

I somehow feel that the JvS era was better in this respect. We fell away so badly at the end of last season it really did look as though there wasn't a lot of pride in the shirt or engagement with the loyal band of supporters. Don't know what others think, but that's the impression I had.

I made a post last year using Man U as a reference. Today's success for them started when Ferguson signed the likes of Pallister, Ince, Wallace, Phelan, Webb etc. He has then tinkered with the side and after a slow start, turned them into frequent champions. After that first burst, I don't remember them making wholesale changes.

A good model for Heart to follow (now that the Ajax one seems to have gone out the door).

I agree with the end of last season.  Especially with finals to play for, there was an apparent lack of intensity by the players.  Not sure if this was a case of losing pride in the shirt, or confidence in each other or even JA and his game plan.

A lot of this culture, I believe, is driven by the manager.  In addition to tactics, formations, structure etc., there are other measures to influence team performance.  Whether JA has these abilities we'll soon discover.

• Like 1

I agree with the end of last season.  Especially with finals to play for, there was an apparent lack of intensity by the players.  Not sure if this was a case of losing pride in the shirt, or confidence in each other or even JA and his game plan.

A lot of this culture, I believe, is driven by the manager.  In addition to tactics, formations, structure etc., there are other measures to influence team performance.  Whether JA has these abilities we'll soon discover.

I hear that there were 'dressing room issues' at the end of the season

I hear that there were 'dressing room issues' at the end of the season

Wouldn't be surprised about that, I guess that's the consequence of poor results and frustrating performances culminating in not making finals.  Players looking for explanations and perhaps blame.  The only voice that should be heard in the dressing room at times like this is the manager's. 

It was a poor season last season granted, but it won't be last season that defines us.  How the club responds and how JA responds next season will be the one that defines us, at least in the short term.