Melbourne Football

Time for a refresh?

Damiano

Hi guys, I don't really post alot but this has been on my mind. We supposedly pride ourselves a being a team who bring up youth, play them and generally turn them into stars - eg Behich, Babalj, Good, Hamill, Marrone So why not return to that next season. It's time to cut the dead wood (I don't mean to offend) but IMO these are the changes that must be made: To be cut: Bolton - replace with a young backup to Redders Colosimo - lacks leadership and is past his best Fred - injury prone, past his best Thompson - don't get me started, is still reliving his 2 goals against Victory Macallister - unused Hoffman - no comment Coyne - Mitchinson is better Promote J.Walker Mitchinson Groenwold Kaya Z. Walker So without mentioning anyone who gets brought in, in the transfer window our team would look like this: -------------------Redders------------------- J.Walks-Gerhardt-Vrankovic-Mitchinson -------------------Meeuwis-------------------- ------------Garcia---------Germano----------- ---Williams------Tadic--------Dugandizic--- Bench: Babalj, Mehbrahtu, Kalmar, Groenwold, Kaya We would still have talented players in Z.Walker, Edwards, Garuccio and Mauk in the wings, significantly TRIMMED our wage bill so when one of these young players break out we WONT have to sell them to balance our books. With Nicholls on the horizon as well it's a great competitive team without really sacrificing too much! Thoughts?

Whilst I do agree that we should be giving youth a go (something I already think we do), they still need experienced people around them to learn. 

We need balance not a team of kids, we have a NYL team for that

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

Would like to see us keep Thommo, purely for cover for midfield and full back positions and some experience. Fred would need to be on a much reduced wage if he is to stay, same goes for Colosimo as I'd rather see a Gerhardt/Vrankovic pairing.

Hoffman, DMac & Coyne should all be shown the door.

Bolton will likely hang up the boots at the end of the season, if the youth team keepers aren't ready to step up Matt Nash is deserving of a contract on a relatively low wage.

Edited by mus-28

Developing young talent is almost a waste tbh. The minute any player looks likely to destroy the league with their talent we are forced to sell them. We can't compete with Europe because of salary restrictions,

Better brining in good standard A-league players and topping them up with top line marquees

I would get rid of Fred, colosimo and Hoffman. But keep Thompson because he can play pretty much every position quite well

I would be more inclined to keep Colosimo over Thompson. However he would be purely be there for cover incase we had 2 central defenders injured. Hoffman can definitely go and I don't mind Fred getting a 1 year extension (if he natrualises), but he should not be captain, he should get a pay cut and will be spending alot of time on bench

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

I cannot understand why we would keep players who have been an integral part of a squad that that has underperformed and is delivering its third mediocre season in a row. Our pitiful away record this season is embarrassing.

The other clubs will continue to improve their squads. If we don't do the same we will fall even further behind the rest.

I do not resile from the view that the club just cannot afford a fourth mediocre season.

It's not just the players that need to be replaced. Get rid of aloisi+ most of the coaching staff. Scotty Munn and Diluca as well.

We really need to just have a big clean out because we can not afford another 3-4 seasons of mediocrity.

Thompson, Simon, Clint can all go too. Our marquee signing should also be well before the season. 

It's not just the players that need to be replaced. Get rid of aloisi+ most of the coaching staff. Scotty Munn and Diluca as well.

We really need to just have a big clean out because we can not afford another 3-4 seasons of mediocrity.

Thompson, Simon, Clint can all go too. Our marquee signing should also be well before the season. 

Maybe it would be quicker if you said who you want to keep.

Aloisi, Foxe and scotty munn out. Would maybe keep Diluca due to the fact he has connections supposively.

We have a decent list, and are probably 2-3 players from being a serious contender.

Would also keep Fred even know everyone on here hates him.

Aloisi, Foxe and scotty munn out. Would maybe keep Diluca due to the fact he has connections supposively.

We have a decent list, and are probably 2-3 players from being a serious contender.

Would also keep Fred even know everyone on here hates him.

i dont think people hate him... some people just think his time has passed.

It is not just the players. It is the attitude of the club as a whole that needs a refresh. We are supposed to be a professional club, yet we apparently have $0.00 for promotion or to compete for or to hold on to players. I am starting to wonder how Heart got an A-League license in the first place.

We were told Heart would be modeled on Ajax. Ajax is based on success, not just selling promising players for a profit. Heart need a heart. A club (as in rooms) would be a great start. A desire to win the competitions we are competing in would be a minimum expectation of a club in a 10 team salary capped league. The ability to give out stickers etc. to a junior club wanting to use them for award night give-aways which could then lead to increased membership or at least generate brand awareness would be desirable rather than loosing that support to our accross town rivals who seem more on the ball in attracting/retaining members.

A lot needs to be re-freshed with Melbourne Heart. I hope the people running the club realise that our public image is poor (as highlighted by SBS on a regular basis) and things need to be fixed. As a supporter I want to see our club become our club and succeed.

I cannot understand why we would keep players who have been an integral part of a squad that that has underperformed and is delivering its third mediocre season in a row. Our pitiful away record this season is embarrassing.

The other clubs will continue to improve their squads. If we don't do the same we will fall even further behind the rest.

I do not resile from the view that the club just cannot afford a fourth mediocre season.

• Like 1

I like Fred, but I think we probably have to move him to free up an international spot. Depends on how Meeuwis goes. But if he works out, then I think we'll try to keep Gerhardt, Tadic, Germano and Meeuwis. Leaving only one spare visa spot.

I don't see a big cleanout happening. Bolton will retire, and I'd also move Colosimo on. Fred, Bolton and Colosimo combined should free up a good amount of cash which can help get a high calibre international.

Hoffman will have to go, and probably Coyne. Maybe Thompson too. Macalister has another year left. But with Babalj back, I think it would be worth paying out his contact. Edwards we don't really know about. I'd say Kalmar might get another contract if he keeps showing some form.

If Walker and Mitchinson get senior contracts, and uncontracted players like Garcia and Meeuwis re-sign, it doesn't leave many spots to fill.

GK: Redmayne

Defenders: Gerhardt, Vrankovic, Mitchinson (?), Walker (?)

Mids: Garcia, Meeuwis, Germano, Kalmar, Mauk, (Thompson?) (Edwards?)

Forwards: Dugandzic, Mebrahtu, Williams, Tadic, Babalj, Garuccio, Macallister

But we would need to bolster the defence and add a back up keeper.

Just looking at that list, I'd definitely pay out Macalister, and I'd probably move Thommo out too. The rest of the squad looks good. My first priority would then be to go after a quality left-back.

I like Fred, but I think we probably have to move him to free up an international spot. Depends on how Meeuwis goes. But if he works out, then I think we'll try to keep Gerhardt, Tadic, Germano and Meeuwis. Leaving only one spare visa spot.

I don't see a big cleanout happening. Bolton will retire, and I'd also move Colosimo on. Fred, Bolton and Colosimo combined should free up a good amount of cash which can help get a high calibre international.

Hoffman will have to go, and probably Coyne. Maybe Thompson too. Macalister has another year left. But with Babalj back, I think it would be worth paying out his contact. Edwards we don't really know about. I'd say Kalmar might get another contract if he keeps showing some form.

If Walker and Mitchinson get senior contracts, and uncontracted players like Garcia and Meeuwis re-sign, it doesn't leave many spots to fill.

Just looking at that list, I'd definitely pay out Macalister, and I'd probably move Thommo out too. The rest of the squad looks good. My first priority would then be to go after a quality left-back.

Pretty accurate assessment for mine. I think bring back a young aussie lb would be a good option like an Adam Sarota. Leaving us the option to sign a marquee player in the middle or up front. Not having Hooflosimo, Clint and Thommo would free up a heap of cash to so we should have some to throw around to make a decent signing or two.

The club does need a refresh. I totally agree with Peter.

How can the club possibly say they have no finances for promotion? What kind of club are we? Are we an elite club in Australia, cause the way we act its like we are a lower division club that rose up too quick and can't keep up with the demand of being a professional club.

ALL aspects of the club need to be re thought. The model in place is not working.

The way people perceive us is important. I want to be feared. Right now we are mocked. This is the clubs fault.

Little examples. The fact our players and coaches are interviewed in front of the tattered sponsors sheet, hung up roughly outside a decrepit building, swatting flies is an absolute embarrassment. I wouldn't have my local club in that image. It's fucking not on and I'm sick of it. Then they put up the interview on the website and the sound quality is poor and looks to be done on a bloody iPhone.

This is one example of about 100 that showcases the club in which reflects an image.

The image is poor and yet despite telling and telling and telling the club this nothing is done.

Time for a refresh indeed.

Sash, IMO that would leave us very short across the back line. Just four players to fill four positions, so we definitely need reinforcements there. Plus we have to have a capable reserve keeper unless we're going to rely on a NYL player. That squad is overloaded with mids and forwards. I do not think we should keep Thommo. He's a great guy, but we need to realise that on the pitch he hasn't delivered.

Another idea I've had is that I'm beginning to think we should look at playing Walker as RW. He's fast, mobile, and has a big engine, and he's a bit on the small side for a RB. Just a thought.

Aloisi wrote a piece for the Herald Scum today. He said Walker, Vrankovic, Mitchinson, Mauk and Garrucio would all figure in next seasons senior set up. 

With respect to next season, perhaps JA might surprise us with something completely different, like a 3-6-1, the rate he has accumulated mids.

Aloisi wrote a piece for the Herald Scum today. He said Walker, Vrankovic, Mitchinson, Mauk and Garrucio would all figure in next seasons senior set up. 

With respect to next season, perhaps JA might surprise us with something completely different, like a 3-6-1, the rate he has accumulated mids.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-has-enjoyed-the-rollercoaster-of-his-first-season-in-the-dugout/story-e6frfg8x-1226594302026

I like Fred, but I think we probably have to move him to free up an international spot. Depends on how Meeuwis goes. But if he works out, then I think we'll try to keep Gerhardt, Tadic, Germano and Meeuwis. Leaving only one spare visa spot. I don't see a big cleanout happening. Bolton will retire, and I'd also move Colosimo on. Fred, Bolton and Colosimo combined should free up a good amount of cash which can help get a high calibre international. Hoffman will have to go, and probably Coyne. Maybe Thompson too. Macalister has another year left. But with Babalj back, I think it would be worth paying out his contact. Edwards we don't really know about. I'd say Kalmar might get another contract if he keeps showing some form. If Walker and Mitchinson get senior contracts, and uncontracted players like Garcia and Meeuwis re-sign, it doesn't leave many spots to fill. GK: Redmayne Defenders: Gerhardt, Vrankovic, Mitchinson (?), Walker (?) Mids: Garcia, Meeuwis, Germano, Kalmar, Mauk, (Thompson?) (Edwards?) Forwards: Dugandzic, Mebrahtu, Williams, Tadic, Babalj, Garuccio, Macallister But we would need to bolster the defence and add a back up keeper. Just looking at that list, I'd definitely pay out Macalister, and I'd probably move Thommo out too. The rest of the squad looks good. My first priority would then be to go after a quality left-back. This is exactly what I am saying, yet getting slammed for it. Move on Colosimo, Bolton, Hoffman, Coyne and Thompson as a start and build from there. We dont necessarily have to play kids but recruit smarter! Case in point Garcia!!!!