Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm ok with one guest player but two in a season? who will both leave at the same time and then there are two gaping holes in the team for almost two thirds of the season? Plus they won't be playing in the FFA cup

• Like 1

I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm ok with one guest player but two in a season? who will both leave at the same time and then there are two gaping holes in the team for almost two thirds of the season? Plus they won't be playing in the FFA cup

Really? You really hope this doesn't happen? :droy:

That's what I said is it not?

How about you read what I said and then say how I am wrong?

While i may not disagree with you in regards to leaving a hole in our squad the benefits of having both players playing for us for a third of the season far out way any negatives. Examples such as crowed figures, extended interest in our club for those who want to turn up and see players fresh out of overseas leagues such as the epl and la liga (potential members who may not have been interested before), commercial endorsement through t.v, newspapers, results (I find it hard to see many beating us whilst these players are here) overseas exposure fans of lampard, villa will be interested in how they are going in our league. 

Over to you.

Agree with you Dylan. This from a marketing sense would be unparalleled and would put us on the global stage. BUT it's a loan deal and once that is done will leave a gaping hole. What are the rules on loan players? I was under the impression you were limited to 1.

How does that work when we already have 1 guest player in Villa.

I tell you what. Ill be fucking pissed if they use an international marquee on Lampard or Villa to only play 10 games. They do that and it will almost confirm my sad belief that have now become a feeder Club to NYCFC. Dylan is spot on. El leave a big hole once these 2 bugger off back to NYCFC and will hurt us in the back end of the season. It's great to see these players at our club,but winning the league far outweighs seeing these guys in action. Would prefer a lesser marquee or even bringing Orlando back with a full pre season, who will help us win the league.

Great to have cash, but don't want our club to be just a fucking pre season session for NYCFC's squad. I love this club way too much for that.

Agree with you Dylan. This from a marketing sense would be unparalleled and would put us on the global stage. BUT it's a loan deal and once that is done will leave a gaping hole. What are the rules on loan players? I was under the impression you were limited to 1.

I understand and agree with you both on leaving a hole in the side when both leave, however we are yet to understand fully how many games Villa will play meaning he could only appear for a small handful, you have to also keep in mind we need to get our crowed figures up and while I agree results are the main driving force behind this, you can't be blind to the fact that big marquee names draw in the crowds and again if both play 10 games I see us winning 8 of the 10 meaning we will be 80% on the way to making finals.

Really? You really hope this doesn't happen? :droy: That's what I said is it not?

I understand and agree with you both on leaving a hole in the side when both leave, however we are yet to understand fully how many games Villa will play meaning he could only appear for a small handful, you have to also keep in mind we need to get our crowed figures up and while I agree results are the main driving force behind this, you can't be blind to the fact that big marquee names draw in the crowds and again if both play 10 games I see us winning 8 of the 10 meaning we will be 80% on the way to making finals.

Agree on the crowds but they bring the fans that will more likely drop off if we drop in form and once those big names are gone.

At the end of the day we are a sister club to nycfc and manchester. Due to the mls season starting in march of course we are gonna be required to have some of their marquee players temporarily. If we where in their position wed expect the same thing. Besides even if lampard and villa only play a few games the momentum and buzz they can give us will be massive and something the coaching stuff and the club can build upon

• Like 2

Anyone else think we might not use one or even both of the marquee spots right away?

Lampard (loan), Villa (guest), Duff, Mooy... it's basically overkill as it is, and by the looks of it, we've still got an 'Engelaar type' en route.

Squad is looking fantastic already, but to have a full strength team from the start of the season, only to withdraw Lamps and Villa mid-season will be devastating.

So I'd expect some higher profile mid-season reinforcements would be in the blueprint.

Exciting stuff, however!

• Like 1

Its been reported that Frank Lampard has just signed with Melbourne City FC. The world game website is reporting it's a deal similar to David Villa and 10 game guest stint.

If its true I'm not sure its a good thing to have these world class player come here for a short period and then take off.. With David Villa its great but to have another player doing the same thing is not a good look in my opinion. If the new owners are going down this path, this club will die very quickly...

Long term vision is what's needed not short term hype...

blokes, you're missing the point here. We have David Villa and Frank Lampard playing on the same team in Australia. even if it is only for 10 games, that is already 4 more wins then we had total last season!! Not to mention the amount of WORLD publicity we are going to recieved, and the amont of people that are going to jump on the wagon.

yes its short term but it puts us on the map for long term gains, this is just the beggining!

Geez, why dont we just wait for official confirmation on what the deal the players are on? I mean is Villa is 100% confirmed with respect to status?

Some of you are treating the management like they are a couple of drunks at the wheel - this greater organisation clearly has a global ambition and looks like they 100% know exactly what they are doing.

Yes, having two players for 10 games (IF!) each may leave a hole - you think the guys in control are totally unaware of this?

We go from laughing stock, perhaps not even viable in the medium term - to a global empire with connections everywhere, and yet some just want to whinge, whinge fu(k!n whinge!

Relax, and enjoy the ride!

It's not whinging, it's just a reaction to a report in uk press. All I'm saying is what will occur in the 17 rounds plus hopefully finals when they depart. If the marquee spot is used for 10 games, IMO that would be a waste and the same as last season with Engelaar although that wasn't planned.

yeah never did i think id hear the day when people complain about signing david villa AND Lampard. you people sound rightly ungrateful.
who cares if its only for 10 games, i pay to see people play football. and these are two of the greatest footballers of our time, at our club! 

• Like 4

yeah never did i think id hear the day when people complain about signing david villa AND Lampard. you people sound rightly ungrateful.

who cares if its only for 10 games, i pay to see people play football. and these are two of the greatest footballers of our time, at our club! 

Same - Anyone else here have any memories of supporting Melbourne Heart and the players it signed? :droy:

Prediction - The same people complaining will rush at Lampard to have photos with him for their Facebook photos.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Although somewhat pre-maturily blowing my load when no official announcement has been made, i 1000% agree with all arguements put forward to the potential signing. The only way the new owners can compensate for these big names fucking off mid-season is some PERMANENT signings come mid-season. I feel that the only reason why they are leaving mid-season and staying the full season is that NYC is not yet a fully established side. They are bound for their first season and it is understandable that their big name players are avaliable come day 1. Although in saying that, come next season and the beyond seasons when NYC are an established side and have competed in the league, i excpect that these mid-season departures stop and instead play out the full season with us BEFORE heading off to NYC or anywhere else. If it continues well i feel the owners will be in for a grilling, but just for this one time and one time only i can understand their priorities and ambition. after all, its Frank fucking Lampard we're getting!!!!

Wouldn't be wrapped to see Lampard as our Marquee, but how else would he get here? If he was on loan, then we'd have to pay his wages, which are unlikely to fit under the cap.

Without knowing much, but his wages would be close to the entire cap?????

I'm not sure where the belief has come from that packing the squad with 10-game guests is going to be a regular thing from now on. The only reason it's happening at all is because NYCFC were given a 2015 start date and are incapable of giving their players match practice right now. As soon as they start playing games in 2015 this situation will not happen again. It might be that CFG find ways of giving Melbourne the occasion guest player big name player just for a bit of a boost, but they won't be packing them in and it won't be to act as a feeder for NYCFC because by that point NYCFC will be perfectly capable of giving its own players game time themselves.

Rather than setting the tone for the future, I'm pretty sure that this is all a one-off.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

Given the restrictions of the A-League, City who want success, will do what they can to get the best players for us, however they can.  

If that means we get players for 10 matches only, but they are players that we would have no chance in hell of getting otherwise, then so be it, and good on the club.  

These types of arrangements are within the rules of the league, and are there to be capitalised on by those who have the resources, pulling power and finances to implement the deals that makes it happen.

And it just so happens that we are now the big fish in the pond and we can land the prized players that the other clubs can only dream of.

By bringing a procession of these types of players to our club on and ongoing basis, it will continue to lift the standard of the existing playing group and create a constant buzz and excitement for everyone associated with the game in Australia.

As it happens, celebrate it and enjoy the show, which will also be a script full of many ongoing successes. 

• Like 1

Given the restrictions of the A-League, City who want success, will do what they can to get the best players for us, however they can.

If that means we get players for 10 matches only, but they are players that we would have no chance in hell of getting otherwise, then so be it, and good on the club.

These types of arrangements are within the rules of the league, and are there to be capitalised on by those who have the resources, pulling power and finances to implement the deals that makes it happen.

And it just so happens that we are now the big fish in the pond and we can land the prized players that the other clubs can only dream of.

By bringing a procession of these types of players to our club on and ongoing basis, it will continue to lift the standard of the existing playing group and create a constant buzz and excitement for everyone associated with the game in Australia.

As it happens, celebrate it and enjoy the show, which will also be a script full of many ongoing successes.

I'm not necessarily sure you'd want that every season though. It would be a circus