Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

i just heard through a reliable source that the announcement is on and also off. lampard is and is not coming to melbourne.

i've just had another source tell me that no, the announcement will be delayed pending a further announcement about my previous source's confirmation that the bird is the word.

That is odd. I have not seen any news of the ornithological kind today

Edited by Tonyboozeadams
  • Like 1

i just heard through a reliable source that the announcement is on and also off. lampard is and is not coming to melbourne.

i've just had another source tell me that no, the announcement will be delayed pending a further announcement about my previous source's confirmation that the bird is the word.

oh, have you not heard?

oh, have you not heard?

No, heard what?

• Like 1

So that's why Sam McClure, "Senior Sports Reporter" for 3AW, tweeted:

Melbourne City say there will be no player announcements in the next 48 hours.

and

The Club says "any player announcements certainly won't involve Frank Lampard." 

I would really love to see us sign Lampard, but I'm doubtful that it'll happen. Also IIRC Lampard pretty much said he'll sort out his club future after the World Cup, so I'm not expecting any definitive news about his club future very soon.

Edited by Murfy1

I'd imagine Lampard isn't a very realistic prospect but then I would have said the same regarding Villa this time last year (or even two months ago), so I plainly know very little.

Well going by the TWG Schwarzer interview, he's considering it. Or, given both villa and lampard were going to New York, they were both given the option of coming to Melbourne for pre season and villa took it. Unless one is a guest for 10 and the other on loan. But that would leave a real hole when they both left in December. That is, unless he comes as our international marquee, but that does seem unlikely. Edited by Jake

It gets harder to obtain marquees as time goes on.

These 4 players, who I think all would have made very good marquees, have been signed up by other clubs (after having been free agents):

- Diego Ribas

- Aaron Hunt

- Jordi Gomez

- Manuel Fernandes

Something to note is that they are all in their 20s, which is a reminder that its very difficult to secure very good players, who are still young, if clubs don't work hard and fast to get the deals done (and that's probably even more true for Australian and American clubs trying to lure players away from Europe).

This list is the best possible marquees available on a free transfer IMO:

- Urby Emanuelson

- Joe Cole

- Roman Shirokov

- Frank Lampard

And here's some quality players that have 1 more year on their contracts:

- Alberto Aquilani

- Bryan Ruiz

- Ibrahim Afellay

- Kim Kallstrom

Hopefully the club secures our international marquee soon enough, as there's less and less options out there as time goes on, and our international marquee is arguably our most important signing. I gotta say, it looks a bit weird for NYCFC to get their marquees sorted out before us, as they are allowed 3 marquees and start playing in March next year, and we're only allowed 1 international marquee, and we start playing in October (with our very first competitive matches in early August)..

Val Migliaccio is reporting that several top Europe-based players are eyeing A-League moves:

Foreign legion to target the A-League after World Cup

VAL MIGLIACCIO

THE ADVERTISER

JUNE 05, 2014 11:07PM

SPANISH FIFA 2010 World Cup winner David Villa is headlining a posse of superstars targeting the A-League after the Brazilian tournament.

Villa, 32, will join Melbourne City — formerly Heart — from October until December on loan from City’s US major league soccer sister club New York City.

With Adelaide United on Friday expected to announce it has signed Dylan McGowan, 22, after the Adelaide-born defender passed a Reds medical test on Thursday, the A-League is destined to be flooded with spectacular options of hiring the best guns in world football.

Dylan’s brother Ryan — both products of Para Hills — is a Socceroos defender likely to face Villa in Brazil when Australia meets Spain on June 24, in the World Cup Group B’s final match.

But Villa is just one of an impressive foreign legion wanting to call the A-League home.

World Cup bound megastars Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Cristian Rodriguez and Diego Lugano (Uruguay), former England internationals Shaun Wright-Phillips and David Dunn and Israeli international Yossi Benayoun have agents currently working on snaring A-League contracts.

Villa and Rodriguez this season won Spain’s la Liga title with Atletico Madrid and a runner up UEFA Champions League medal 13 days ago.

Australian based agent Jose Martinez said some A-League clubs had shown interest in signing forward Rodriguez, 29, and defender Lugano, 33, who played for England’s West Brom last season.

The pair featured in Uruguay’s 2-0 friendly match win over Slovenia in Montevideo on Thursday.

“They are two of the finest players Uruguay has produced,’’ said Martinez from Sydney.

“I have offered both of them to some clubs in the A-League, clubs that have been targeted.

“There is definite interest.”

Martinez believes Lugano and Rodriguez won’t have any trouble landing contracts after Uruguay faces Italy, England and Costa Rica in Group D of the World Cup as Villa looks to help Spain retain the trophy.

Villa is also Spain’s leading scorer and has won three La Liga titles, a UEFA Champions League trophy and will represent Spain for a third World Cup.

But with Dylan McGowan — a former defender with Scottish club Hearts — destined to strengthen Adelaide’s defence for the new season, Reds Argentine forward Jeronimo Neumann has been shopped to other A-League clubs.

But Adelaide-born forward Christian Esposito, 23, is expected to join Adelaide for pre season training this month after ending his four-year contract with Italian Serie B club Novara while Newcastle Jets is expected to name ex Socceroos Adrian Madaschi, 31, as its new signing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/foreign-legion-to-target-the-aleague-after-world-cup/story-fnk6pqhd-1226945112460

Edited by Murfy1

It gets harder to obtain marquees as time goes on.

These 4 players, who I think all would have made very good marquees, have been signed up by other clubs (after having been free agents):

- Diego Ribas

- Aaron Hunt

- Jordi Gomez

- Manuel Fernandes

Something to note is that they are all in their 20s, which is a reminder that its very difficult to secure very good players, who are still young, if clubs don't work hard and fast to get the deals done (and that's probably even more true for Australian and American clubs trying to lure players away from Europe).

This list is the best possible marquees available on a free transfer IMO:

- Urby Emanuelson

- Joe Cole

- Roman Shirokov

- Frank Lampard

And here's some quality players that have 1 more year on their contracts:

- Alberto Aquilani

- Bryan Ruiz

- Ibrahim Afellay

- Kim Kallstrom

Hopefully the club secures our international marquee soon enough, as there's less and less options out there as time goes on, and our international marquee is arguably our most important signing. I gotta say, it looks a bit weird for NYCFC to get their marquees sorted out before us, as they are allowed 3 marquees and start playing in March next year, and we're only allowed 1 international marquee, and we start playing in October (with our very first competitive matches in early August)..

If it was the old regime I'd be very concerned because they always seemed to wait until the last minute. This time around chances are we have already signed our marquee. It's just a matter of the announcement.

Val Migliaccio is reporting that several top Europe-based players are eyeing A-League moves:

Foreign legion to target the A-League after World Cup

VAL MIGLIACCIO

THE ADVERTISER

JUNE 05, 2014 11:07PM

SPANISH FIFA 2010 World Cup winner David Villa is headlining a posse of superstars targeting the A-League after the Brazilian tournament.

Villa, 32, will join Melbourne City — formerly Heart — from October until December on loan from City’s US major league soccer sister club New York City.

With Adelaide United on Friday expected to announce it has signed Dylan McGowan, 22, after the Adelaide-born defender passed a Reds medical test on Thursday, the A-League is destined to be flooded with spectacular options of hiring the best guns in world football.

Dylan’s brother Ryan — both products of Para Hills — is a Socceroos defender likely to face Villa in Brazil when Australia meets Spain on June 24, in the World Cup Group B’s final match.

But Villa is just one of an impressive foreign legion wanting to call the A-League home.

World Cup bound megastars Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Cristian Rodriguez and Diego Lugano (Uruguay), former England internationals Shaun Wright-Phillips and David Dunn and Israeli international Yossi Benayoun have agents currently working on snaring A-League contracts.

Villa and Rodriguez this season won Spain’s la Liga title with Atletico Madrid and a runner up UEFA Champions League medal 13 days ago.

Australian based agent Jose Martinez said some A-League clubs had shown interest in signing forward Rodriguez, 29, and defender Lugano, 33, who played for England’s West Brom last season.

The pair featured in Uruguay’s 2-0 friendly match win over Slovenia in Montevideo on Thursday.

“They are two of the finest players Uruguay has produced,’’ said Martinez from Sydney.

“I have offered both of them to some clubs in the A-League, clubs that have been targeted.

“There is definite interest.”

Martinez believes Lugano and Rodriguez won’t have any trouble landing contracts after Uruguay faces Italy, England and Costa Rica in Group D of the World Cup as Villa looks to help Spain retain the trophy.

Villa is also Spain’s leading scorer and has won three La Liga titles, a UEFA Champions League trophy and will represent Spain for a third World Cup.

But with Dylan McGowan — a former defender with Scottish club Hearts — destined to strengthen Adelaide’s defence for the new season, Reds Argentine forward Jeronimo Neumann has been shopped to other A-League clubs.

But Adelaide-born forward Christian Esposito, 23, is expected to join Adelaide for pre season training this month after ending his four-year contract with Italian Serie B club Novara while Newcastle Jets is expected to name ex Socceroos Adrian Madaschi, 31, as its new signing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/foreign-legion-to-target-the-aleague-after-world-cup/story-fnk6pqhd-1226945112460

Would love Shaun Wright-Phillips as he is a city legend a real club man. though he would not be a house hold name, Eto would be huge but demands a lot of coin

Eto would be huge but demands a lot of coin

This shouldn't be a problem though, should it?

I though Eto'o wasn't an option to sign a while ago because around January this year he said he wanted to finish his career with Real Mallorca in Spain:

"I’ll always like Barcelona, but I personally prefer Mallorca," Eto’orevealed to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. "My son has pressured me to finish my career there, my son is from there. I have signed on at Chelsea for the entire season and will try to enjoy it and later on, I will go to Mallorca."

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1687890

So now that Eto'o apparently isn't keen on signing with Mallorca for next season, and he apparently even has an agent talking to A-League clubs, he sounds like a pretty impressive option for a marquee, having just turned 33 some weeks ago, and having played for such giant European clubs, and having achieved a lot of success with them as well. Samuel Eto'o might be the biggest name we could sign for next season, and whilst that isn't a good enough reason to sign a player on it's own, he's also an incredible footballer with a number of quality seasons still left in him.

However, I'm more hoping that the club will sign a creative/attacking midfielder. Yossi Benayoun is a pretty decent option, although I'd maybe be a bit more happy if we signed one of the midfielders I listed above.

Edited by Murfy1

I know we're obviously the smallest of the three sisters (Man City, NY City then Melb CIty), but I don't see why the following can't happen:

1. Villa comes on a 10 game guest stint - heads to NYC for pre-season

2. Duff enjoys some time off and joins Melbourne City after David Villa's 10th game.

3a. Lampard is signed by Melbourne City as INTL Marquee, helps us to the Championship (the Premiership will be ruled out by January) then moves on to NYC FC.

3b. Lampard is signed by New York City as INTL Marquee, but loaned out to the Heart for the season - helps us win the Championship :-D

Hmmm. So where do the locals fit in... I am hoping that at least Mauk gets a run in the middle.

Fair point to say the least but imagine learning off Villa and the other internationals? The young boys will learn so much off them it will be invaluable for them. 

You play with quality you lift your game to another level .....

Anyone read the herald sun piece today by Matt windley? We suddenly got roomFor 6 visa players or something ? Says we have 3 visa players plus 1 international marquee... Horrible journalism

Is it that hard for them to just check it on Wikipedia?...

Anyone read the herald sun piece today by Matt windley? We suddenly got roomFor 6 visa players or something ? Says we have 3 visa players plus 1 international marquee... Horrible journalism

Pretty sure it was we had 6 spots left to fill? 3 visa players which includes an intl marquee

Lugano :up:

I got given one of those shirts by the owners of a Turkish pub when I watched a game there

Top shirt?

Yeah it is a top shirt

The blue and yella one (although the one Ive got is more of a light blue)

I meant is it the same as the shirt in the top pic. That was 2006/7 centenary kit for 100 seasons of football, probably the best one we've had in recent times.

If it's a lighter shade of blue, it's probably from before 2002, when the blue we used was a royal blue, not navy.

Really lucky to have one, as their quite rare. Most Turkish teams didn't start mass producing merchandise until the 2000s.

Either way, would love to see it.