Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

If Munn is being absolutely truthful and Murf's transcription is absolutely accurate, then my interpretation is:

1. Kisnorbo was signed because of Orlando's injury.

2. We are hoping to sign a visa player who is a striker and is playing for his country this coming weekend. This player is well-known in the area of the world where his country is located (but not well-known generally).

As I said - my interpretation.

These two points are what I understand to be true, based on what Munn said. Recent interviews and statements from Heart support the 1st point. 

On the 1st point, it seems that we were trialing McGrath and were open to signing him, but then Engelaar became injured and Heart looked at their options to cover the loss of Engelaar, and decided that their best option was to get Kisnorbo and play Gerhardt as a midfielder. Also because of Engelaar's injury, it looks like Heart decided to get a more proven and more expensive international striker, rather than sign up McGrath or some other striker.

Here's the audio for the interview that Munn did with SEN today: https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/melbourne-heart-ceo-scott-munn

Edited by Murfy1

As horrible as it sounds, Engelaar's injury may just turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

no its not lol

he could have been one of the greatest players in this league and a cult hero for da hearts

He's still going to play on though by the sound of things (whether it be finals or next season), plus we get a good defender and a good striker out of it.

Just trying to be optimistic about it aha, I would've loved to have seen Orlando roflstomp the league too

Melbourne Heart close to signing international striker ahead of A-League season

David Davutovic Herald Sun September 12, 2013 12:00AM

MELBOURNE Heart is on the verge of signing an international striker to fill the final spot on their roster.

Former Socceroos defender Patrick Kisnorbo became the 22nd player to sign for the 2013-14 season on Monday and Heart are now deep in negotiations with a foreigner, who represents his national team. 

Heart has been locked in negotiations with the player which is the reason striker Brent McGrath was released at the end of last week. 

With Harry Kewell set to play in a deeper role Heart has been searching for a replacement for Croatian striker Josip Tadic and football operations manager John Didulica said they were close. 

"We’ve got someone in mind and we’re hoping to have it resolved by the weekend," Didulica said.

"Negotiations in football can be very weird and wonderful but we’re optimistic we can get him here within a week so he has a month before the first game. 

"We know he’s got experience at the absolute highest level, he’s proven at the highest level and we think he will do well in this competition." 

Didulica said Heart hasn’t ruled out signing an injury replacement for Dutch marquee Orlando Engelaar, who returned to the Netherlands today. 

Engelaar will return in a month but he won’t be allowed to commence running until late November.

McGrath, who’s been capped by the Socceroos, completed a trial last week and while he impressed Heart is focused on the foreigner.

"If we do sign an injury replacement it’s more about giving us more options as opposed to a like for like. We’re not going to find anyone of Orlando’s quality at this stage and certainly not for the budget we’ve got. 

"Brent did well for us but we’ve spoken to him and his agent and explained that we’re looking to explore this other opportunity."

MEANWHILE Heart yesterday announced that its round 18 clash against Perth Glory will be played in Albury on Sunday February 9.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-close-to-signing-international-striker-ahead-of-a-league-season/story-fni2fq5b-1226717224130

Edited by Murfy1

Wow, Munn and Didalica can't wait to announce it.

The experience at the absolute highest level would have to indicate Marica, I don't think any of the other names have played in Bundesliga quality league with 60 international games including Euros.   The reference to weird negotiations could be the Arsenal red herring.

Could quite easily be Mifsud.

He's of a good pedigree, JD could be talking about anything, his form in internationals, his form in the UK and notably that game v Man U...

They made a huge deal out of PG and JT when they signed, and they arent much more than good footballers.

• Like 1

Samaras? Would be huge!!

Doesn't play for the national team anymore.

Yes he does. He started in the match v Latvia last night/this morning.

Don't see Celtic letting him go, though.

OK. So the only 3 players who played over the weekend for their country and are free agents AND are forwards are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Saad_Osman - No thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mouloungui - No thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprian_Marica - Please god yes.

Ciprian Marica I reckon. Played overnight in a 2-0 loss to Turkey. Currently without a club. Played for Schalke the last two seasons.

Had a pretty good look at international free agent strikers and this (+ misfud) was about all I could find plus a few obscure Africans.

Patty G was an obscure African tbh and he turned out pretty good so wouldn't be that surprised to see us sign one of them, could easily be another Maycon though.

Doubt it's Marica because Arsenal want him.

Reckon Misfud is a good shout but if we sign him I'm pretty sure the club read this forum to do their scouting.

Otherwise we'll be paying a transfer fee (not that unrealistic, we were going to for Holt) or someone will be getting released by their club.

I sent the club a very long email before the start of our first season about Mifsud explaining how we should sign him with a response that it would be forwarded on which I thought was a bit of a wank job.

Maybe it was finally forwarded to Munn lol

Wow, Munn and Didalica can't wait to announce it.

The experience at the absolute highest level would have to indicate Marica, I don't think any of the other names have played in Bundesliga quality league with 60 international games including Euros.   The reference to weird negotiations could be the Arsenal red herring.

I pray that they're not going off too early. "Many a slip..." and all that.

Plus its Soccer Stoppage Time. These are the same guys that declared to the world that Danny Vukovic had requested a transfer out of Perth Glory, with Vukovic quickly replying that he hadn't, and then they proceeded to have a big argument with him on twitter over whose sources on the matter were better.

Edited by The Aardvark

Andrea Migliorini is his name, and he isn't a CB. Has played some pre-season games with Sydney and from most reports looked the goods, but due to an abundance of midfielders they didn't sign him, apparently. Will be our injury replacement for Orlando and certainly will not be taking the place of the mystery striker, who I reckon is Marica btw.

• Like 1

I have got to say that if we end up signing a striker of the calibre of Marica or Misfud then barring the injury to Engelaar the club has had a fantastic off season and I am really looking forward to the next 6 or 7 months of football.

I seriously think that it will be Mifsud. Hasnt been attached to a club for a couple of months now and i wouldnt imagine he would be demanding a massive wage. Plus he will put a few more arses on seats being every Maltese person knows who he is. All i know is that ill have my Maltese flag and Heart Kit with Mifsud on the back of it ready for my pitch invasion after he scores the winner. lol

If it is him, i might invest in a Pastizzi stand in front of AAMI Park lol

• Like 1