Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Refer previous post - two types of marquee - ones that win games and bring people along because of success, and others that bring people along through their reputation - these players are not the latter - but Sharp would be one of the best strikers in the competition.

Players like Broich, Flores, and Fred did not bring people to their first game either... they were pretty much unknowns to most HAL fans.

that's what we have to hope we find this season. A player who is pretty much an unkown like Broich, Flores, Fred and Hernandez were, and who we can sign on decent wages and end up being superstars.

JD was asked on Twitter on Friday if Heart were still interested in signing a marquee, and he tweeted back "yes". So, it sounds like something could still happen.

I very much agree that Heart should look for a player who maybe isn't a football celebrity with a well known name Like Del Piero, but nonetheless would attract people to games because of how dominant he'd be on the pitch. Shinji Ono at the Wanderers is an excellent example. Most people, even football fans (except fans of Japanese football), didn't know who he was. Now after a good season, he is one of the most talked about players in the league and a fan favourite at the Wanderers. That's the kind of player Heart should unearth, our own Shinji Ono so to speak.

Here are some names that I haven't seen mentioned, who I think could fit in the category mentioned above. They all became free agents at the end of June as well.

- Marko Pantelic. Striker, 34, Serbian, he's played for for Red Star Belgrade, Hertha Berlin, Ajax and Olympiacos, and across those 4 clubs he played 221 matches and scored 120 goals. He's also played 43 times for his national team, and scored 10 goals

- Thomas Kahlenberg. Attacking midfielder, 30, Danish, played 130 matches for Auxerre in France and 39 matches for Wolfsburg in Germany and has 39 caps for Denmark's national team. He was voted the Danish under 21 player of the year in 2004

- Daniel Jensen, Attacking midfielder, 34, Danish, played for Werder Bremen between 2004-2011 and played in 133 matches, and has 52 appearances for Denmark's national team

- Pablo Orbaiz, Defensive midfielder, 34, Spanish, played for Athletic Bibao between 2000 and 2012 and played 263 matches (10 goals), and has made 4 appearances for the Spanish national team

- Orlando Engelaar, Defensive midfielder, 33, Dutch, has played for Twente, Schalke and PSV, and overall his career he's played 300 European matches. Has 14 appearance for the Netherlands 

- Diego Perez, Defensive midfielder, 33, Uruguayan, at Monaco between 2004 and 2010 and played 148 matches, and has been at Bologna in Italy since 2010, where he's played 78 matches. Has played 86 matches for Uruguay.

I think there's a decent amount of good players out there who good be as successful at Heart as Ono was at the Wanderers, therefore the idea of a marquee still deserves attention.

JD was asked on Twitter on Friday if Heart were still interested in signing a marquee, and he tweeted back "yes". So, it sounds like something could still happen.

I very much agree that Heart should look for a player who maybe isn't a football celebrity with a well known name Like Del Piero, but nonetheless would attract people to games because of how dominant he'd be on the pitch. Shinji Ono at the Wanderers is an excellent example. Most people, even football fans (except fans of Japanese football), didn't know who he was. Now after a good season, he is one of the most talked about players in the league and a fan favourite at the Wanderers. That's the kind of player Heart should unearth, our own Shinji Ono so to speak.

Here are some names that I haven't seen mentioned, who I think could fit in the category mentioned above. They all became free agents at the end of June as well.

- Marko Pantelic. Striker, 34, Serbian, he's played for for Red Star Belgrade, Hertha Berlin, Ajax and Olympiacos, and across those 4 clubs he played 221 matches and scored 120 goals. He's also played 43 times for his national team, and scored 10 goals

- Thomas Kahlenberg. Attacking midfielder, 30, Danish, played 130 matches for Auxerre in France and 39 matches for Wolfsburg in Germany and has 39 caps for Denmark's national team. He was voted the Danish under 21 player of the year in 2004

- Daniel Jensen, Attacking midfielder, 34, Danish, played for Werder Bremen between 2004-2011 and played in 133 matches, and has 52 appearances for Denmark's national team

- Pablo Orbaiz, Defensive midfielder, 34, Spanish, played for Athletic Bibao between 2000 and 2012 and played 263 matches (10 goals), and has made 4 appearances for the Spanish national team

- Orlando Engelaar, Defensive midfielder, 33, Dutch, has played for Twente, Schalke and PSV, and overall his career he's played 300 European matches. Has 14 appearance for the Netherlands 

- Diego Perez, Defensive midfielder, 33, Uruguayan, at Monaco between 2004 and 2010 and played 148 matches, and has been at Bologna in Italy since 2010, where he's played 78 matches. Has played 86 matches for Uruguay.

I think there's a decent amount of good players out there who good be as successful at Heart as Ono was at the Wanderers, therefore the idea of a marquee still deserves attention.

Whilst he's got one of the ugliest mugs going around in world football, I'd love to have Pantelic at Heart. 

The guy scores goals for fun, reckon he's probably out of our range though but he really would be fantastic and would probably score 15-20

Normally more of a reader than a poster on these forums, but thought i would put in my two cents here;

I think what we saw from the crowd at last week's Liverpool game is that there are heaps of soccer supporters in Melbourne still not regularly attending A-League games, most of them choosing instead to watch the EPL or Champions league.

Last year I had four blokes from school who had never come to an a-league match before asking us (myself and two other members) if they could come to the Newcastle game to see Heskey. Of the four, all came to more A-league matches and one signed up this year.

Maybe not so much as with older people, but certainly for younger guys, I think a big name marquee, particularly from the EPL, would be more effective than a highly skilled no-name in terms of converting the supporters yet to really connect with either Heart or Victory

• Like 3

Normally more of a reader than a poster on these forums, but thought i would put in my two cents here;

I think what we saw from the crowd at last week's Liverpool game is that there are heaps of soccer supporters in Melbourne still not regularly attending A-League games, most of them choosing instead to watch the EPL or Champions league.

Last year I had four blokes from school who had never come to an a-league match before asking us (myself and two other members) if they could come to the Newcastle game to see Heskey. Of the four, all came to more A-league matches and one signed up this year.

Maybe not so much as with older people, but certainly for younger guys, I think a big name marquee, particularly from the EPL, would be more effective than a highly skilled no-name in terms of converting the supporters yet to really connect with either Heart or Victory

Feel free to post more often mate, quality stuff.

Although a highly skilled no-name who'd put us at the top of the League would certainly have the desired effect.

I would say a majority of the ppl who went to the liverpool game don't even watch their games. The kind that are 'big' liverpool fans, but couldn't tell you who they play next or couldn't tell you what the last result was except for in the case of a good win (because it makes it into OZ media)

• Like 1

What about Thomas Hitzlsperger?

Absolute gun of a player although he's hardly played any football over the past 3 years so he'd be a bit of a risk.

Was used as a bit part player at Everton. Handled himself well for us last year. Reckon he'd boss A-League.

Look at the afl when teams are up they get huge crowds,when their down the crowds are halved

This is so far from the truth it's not funny.

So if North Melbourne vs Melbourne on sat afternoon was a match where both clubs were fighting for a top 4 spot, the match wouldn't have attracted over 30,000?

Look at the afl when teams are up they get huge crowds,when their down the crowds are halved

This is so far from the truth it's not funny. So if North Melbourne vs Melbourne on sat afternoon was a match where both clubs were fighting for a top 4 spot, the match wouldn't have attracted over 30,000?

Fwiw

Fox footy showed a game from the late 90's on friday, North Melb V Melb and the MCG Looked packed. Both teams up there, plus a marquee draw card (Carey), not sure what they pulled on the weekend but I'm sure that crowd was fourfold

• Like 1

This is so far from the truth it's not funny. So if North Melbourne vs Melbourne on sat afternoon was a match where both clubs were fighting for a top 4 spot, the match wouldn't have attracted over 30,000?

Fwiw

Fox footy showed a game from the late 90's on friday, North Melb V Melb and the MCG Looked packed. Both teams up there, plus a marquee draw card (Carey), not sure what they pulled on the weekend but I'm sure that crowd was fourfold

0NZO4.gif

• Like 1

Fwiw

North drew 68,000 ppl at G against Footscray in the last round of the 98 season when we were both playing off for the top spot on the ladder. Up there as one of the best footy games I've ever atteneded.

The same game between both clubs earlier this year when we were sitting in the bottom 10 had about 23,000.

Position and hype has a huge affect on crowds in any sport.

Edited by FB.

Fwiw

North drew 68,000 ppl at G against Footscray in the last round of the 98 season when we were both playing off for the top spot on the ladder. Up there as one of the best footy games I've ever atteneded.

The same game between both clubs earlier this year when we were sitting in the bottom 10 had about 23,000.

Position and hype has a huge affect on crowds in any sport.

I take your point but we are talking about a period of 15 years (That is a long time in demographics and an even longer time in footy) so other factors are obviously at play as well.

I think Morphine's point about AFL fans sticking to a losing team and attending their games more than supporters of other sports such as NRL, A League etc still stands as pretty true.

• Like 1

All I was trying to say Cadete was that Morphine's response that "it is so far from the truth it isn't funny" is wrong because his statement has some merit.

Do I really need to point out all the very significant differences between the way PPL watched AFL football in the 90’s and the way they do now???

All of the venues still in use from then have had at least one significant renovation made to them since the 1990’s. (Even AMMI Park which is joining AFL Park on the scrap heap in a couple of months).

I fail to see how attendances in this era can be that signficant to those in 2013.

Edited by cadete

Hawthorns crowds were shit now the crowds are good cause their good

Hawthorns home attendance is \the same as it was over the past ten years.

Our crowds jumped 10k from 2007 to 2008 and have never dropped under a 40k average since. Something the club has never achieved.

These stats are not dissimilar to most clubs during the "open window" period.

Success trumps all.

Hawthorns home attendance is \the same as it was over the past ten years.

Our crowds jumped 10k from 2007 to 2008 and have never dropped under a 40k average since. Something the club has never achieved.

Success trumps all.

How long have your lot been playing at Aurora for?

All I was trying to say Cadete was that Morphine's response that "it is so far from the truth it isn't funny" is wrong because his statement has some merit.

Do I really need to point out all the very significant differences between the way PPL watched AFL football in the 90’s and the way they do now???

All of the venues still in use from then have had at least one significant renovation made to them since the 1990’s. (Even AMMI Park which is joining AFL Park on the scrap heap in a couple of months).

I fail to see how attendances in this era can be that signficant to those in 2013.

I never used a reference to crowds in the 90's.

All im saying is crowds do fluctuate in the AFL depending on how sides are going. That's why I made the reference to the Demons Kangaroos game saying if they were in the top half of the ladder a much more significant crowd then just 16000 would have been their.

The original discussion point was the "cactus" saying crowds half when teams are going bad and "Morphine" saying it couldn't be further from the truth.

All I'm saying is though I don't think a teams attendances halve, definitely not. But there is some fluctuation when performances and results aren't going to plan

Hawthorns home attendance is \the same as it was over the past ten years. Our crowds jumped 10k from 2007 to 2008 and have never dropped under a 40k average since. Something the club has never achieved.

Success trumps all.

How long have your lot been playing at Aurora for?

2007 I believe but they count as a home games and that joint only holds 20k. If anything the Tasmania deal drives our overall average crowds down.

Hawthorns home attendance is \the same as it was over the past ten years. Our crowds jumped 10k from 2007 to 2008 and have never dropped under a 40k average since. Something the club has never achieved.

Success trumps all. How long have your lot been playing at Aurora for?

2007 I believe but they count as a home games and that joint only holds 20k. If anything the Tasmania deal drives our overall average crowds down.

Parkville, Mulgrave, Tasmania...

Strong Local Team :up:

Edited by cadete

Success trumps all. How long have your lot been playing at Aurora for?

Parkville, Mulgrave, Tasmania...

Strong Local Team :up:

We get a shit load of money for playing there