Melbourne Football

Melbourne FC vs Perth Glory, Saturday 9th February, 5.30pm

MHFCRC

I think walker needs to work on his one on one defending... got skinned numerous times!!! Long way to go but promising signs.

Best game I have seen kalmar play! Much more balanced in midfield,

Sorry but collosimo's time in centre of defence is done. Vrankovic was great! Distributes quickly & forward as well, something collosimo doesn't do.

Williams was great today & IMO has been much improved all year.

As for Babalj, he shits on tadic and is effective!

Against weak opposition it's easy to shine, but we should take the three points with glee. Kalmar's best game for the club - ffs, where did he pull that from?? Not only impressively creative, but incredibly strong on the ball - he wasn't going to be bossed at all. Something we haven't seen in an AM all year. Walker great as noted above. Get him a sprinting coach and he'll be a star.

Vrankovic was intersting today. A few problems with his game. Caught under the ball just prior to Gerhardt bringing down Harold as the last man, and clearly beaten by Smeltz in the air for a close near headed goal from a corner. Also pushed off the ball a couple of times, but this is against the most physical team in the league. He is young and I think is improving with every game. The real difference I see with him however, and it is a big plus, is his ground passing is so much more accurate and assured compared to Colossimo. He's confident playing out and we look so much better for it. Far fewer long bombs out from the back. If Thommo finds form (average again) or we sign a competent DM to partner Germano (rumors abound!!) then this team can go places. Gerhardt was the quiet achiever of the game for me - incredibly solid bar the risky tackle mentioned above - and with Vrankovich we can build a solid defense. The problem, of course, is that if they kick on they'll be poached. haven't we suffered from that in the last 6 months!!

Bar his early brain fade, Coyne looked ok but his fitness is a long way off. Certainly didn't press far forward - could also be the case of not wanting to fuck up and be caught out of position on debut as well. Too early to tell if he'll fly. Babalj also needs to work harder - still he's only been out of the nightclubs for a fortnight so his fitness will improve.

Til next week. We have to break the duck outside Melbourne some time!!

• Like 2

Kalmar frustrates because he's often shown signs of what he's capable of. But he's never put it together, either over 90 minutes, or from one week to the next. But today was a revelation. And he seemed to get more confident as the game went on.

Kalmar was outstanding. Walker really impressed, with a few more games under his belt he will only get better and more confident.Vrankovic was exposed for pace a few times which is slightly worrying but other than that looks the goods. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, perth are bottom of table. Consistency is the key from here on in. Picking up points on the road is a MUST (has been all season) finals games will more than likely be played away from aami but anything can happen in finals

• Like 1

Was reasonably happy with todays performance, kalmar was amazing! Eli was a bit up and down, prefer tadic over him TBH.

What i was really dissapointed in today was yarraside. Ando, the other leader guy (sorry don't know your name) and the drummer work there asses off each and every game chanting till the last minute, and all they ask is for people to join in. Half of yarraside were too busy on there mobiles, or having chat. And to make things worse, people were even starting there own chants! People truly do not give a fuck about yarraside and would rather try to start their own chants than join in! I usually don't like to be this negative after a good win but was just frustrated in certain areas of yarraside not giving a fuck

• Like 1

Great win by the boys, best game by Kalmar, good to see Eli get back on the score sheet. I was happy to see Willo and Kalmar not afraid to take shots from outside the box.

Had a chat with Germano and he said he had a pretty average game.

Great work by the Y-Side after the second goal but those idiots right behind me starting their own chants that needs to stop

I think walker needs to work on his one on one defending... got skinned numerous times!!! Long way to go but promising signs.

Sorry but collosimo's time in centre of defence is done. Vrankovic was great! Distributes quickly & forward as well, something collosimo doesn't do.

Babalj shits on tadic? Sorry dude, but you have no clue. You tell me which player in the Heart team holds the ball better than Tadic and assists as well?

I sat in I think Premium A with some mates, its the seats just in front of the entry. Anyways I will be honest and say there were times I could hear Glorys fans over Y-side, when we scored that first goal the first couple of chants after it where absolutely booming. In the second half we decided to go to Yarraside (First heart game for some of my friends, so I wanted them to see what its like) and some heart boys came up to us with a security guard behind him and he was just telling me and my mates to leave saying they don't want any trouble, I just assumed we were in his seats so we moved and sat with some boys that we knew. They came to us about 2 minutes later saying the same thing, eventually they said "We know your Perth boys" so it dawned on me why they were trying to get us to leave, anyway showed them my membership card and all was well. But it was honestly good to see that the boys around Y-side are on that higher alert.

And to those 4-5 guys starting there own chants, there should really be a law allowing us to remove them because they were just as bad as last weeks derby specials who kept speeding up chants. Props to Ando and the other boys (don't know there names) for keeping chants going even with peoples dwindling interests. One positive with Y-side though was the flags looked absolutely amazing from a distance and up close, my mates where in awe.

• Like 1

I sat in I think Premium A with some mates, its the seats just in front of the entry. Anyways I will be honest and say there were times I could hear Glorys fans over Y-side, when we scored that first goal the first couple of chants after it where absolutely booming. In the second half we decided to go to Yarraside (First heart game for some of my friends, so I wanted them to see what its like) and some heart boys came up to us with a security guard behind him and he was just telling me and my mates to leave saying they don't want any trouble, I just assumed we were in his seats so we moved and sat with some boys that we knew. They came to us about 2 minutes later saying the same thing, eventually they said "We know your Perth boys" so it dawned on me why they were trying to get us to leave, anyway showed them my membership card and all was well. But it was honestly good to see that the boys around Y-side are on that higher alert.

And to those 4-5 guys starting there own chants, there should really be a law allowing us to remove them because they were just as bad as last weeks derby specials who kept speeding up chants. Props to Ando and the other boys (don't know there names) for keeping chants going even with peoples dwindling interests. One positive with Y-side though was the flags looked absolutely amazing from a distance and up close, my mates where in awe.

A mate of mine was confronted like that too, had a scarf and membership but was still not given any credit as being a Heart supporter, i dont think we should just be confronting people tbh

A mate of mine was confronted like that too, had a scarf and membership but was still not given any credit as being a Heart supporter, i dont think we should just be confronting people tbh

They weren't being aggressive, they were really calm about it and apologised, as long as it is kept to that I'd rather they do than don't

Babalj shits on tadic? Sorry dude, but you have no clue. You tell me which player in the Heart team holds the ball better than Tadic and assists as well?

Get back in your hole buddy. The fact is heart play better without Tadic. If you want to watch hacks like tadic go watch dandy city in state 2. In fact he would struggle to get a game in that team.

I don't want a player that fucken holds the ball. I want a goal scorer and the fact is in the last 3-4 years of his professional career he has scored about 10 goals from open play. So you keep applauding mediocrity!

Does anyone know what was going on between Kalmar and Heffernan

We had Heffernan clean up Kalmar in front of coaches

Heffernan got fouled and Kalmar was over top of him yelling at him

They both got called over for something before a corner

When Eli scored Heffernan ran straight through Kalmar and got a yellow

Was there bad blood when Heffernan was with us?

Pretty happy overall thought we backed up the urgency we bring to derbies into a non edrby game which was nice. Walker and Vranks look like they will keep on improving with game time which is great. Gerhardt is a boss and surely our best and fairest. Holding together a makeshift back line and still makes a run forward. Coyne looks not good enough to me. To be fair he looked under done and having only trained a few times, out of sorts. He will provide cover till seasons end then he should be moved on. Kalmar was a boss hopefully he can put on more displays like this. Williams improving every game. Germano working like, Thomson not a dm hopefully the new guy solves this problem. Babalj can only run out 60 mins atm and richie was off this week. I'd say in all we played youth and looked better for it. No sky falling in this week.

They weren't being aggressive, they were really calm about it and apologised, as long as it is kept to that I'd rather they do than don't

I agree that as long as they arnt aggressive, my mate said they didnt want to believe him even after he pulled out his membership, no real damage but would a first timer still want to be part of yarraside if they get interrogated pregame for giving it ago?

I agree that as long as they arnt aggressive, my mate said they didnt want to believe him even after he pulled out his membership, no real damage but would a first timer still want to be part of yarraside if they get interrogated pregame for giving it ago?

They enjoyed Yarraside enough that they didn't mind :D

ok you obviously dont want to get into it, i have just found the Yarra very inclusive lately and enjoyed it, i think they do a really good job and have noticed them gaining support they deserve recently, just think the type of behaviour discussed may turn some away.

That girl could not be anymore smitten with Bolton (although in fairness, the majority of us are too). Generally a good crowd, small, but everyone down one end made for a great atmosphere at the goals. As a bit of warning, police don't find it the least bit funny if you tell them that we don't break seats at our own game.

• Like 1

ok you obviously dont want to get into it, i have just found the Yarra very inclusive lately and enjoyed it, i think they do a really good job and have noticed them gaining support they deserve recently, just think the type of behaviour discussed may turn some away.

I understand what you mean, if it was just them and they weren't with me they would have probably just left. What do you mean I don't want to get into it???

That girl could not be anymore smitten with Bolton (although in fairness, the majority of us are too). Generally a good crowd, small, but everyone down one end made for a great atmosphere at the goals. As a bit of warning, police don't find it the least bit funny if you tell them that we don't break seats at our own game.

Nah, but the security had a laugh when I told them the flares were in my sons socks which he had pulled up to his knees.