Melbourne Football

Garcia for captain

Torn Asunder

Looks like Fred will be out for a few weeks & without Bolton you would think Garcia would take the armband.

But IMO Garcia isn't the type of player that needs the 'leader' tag as it is quite obvious he is a natural. I think giving Shime the armband could prove to be effective as we're on a nice run this year and it could boost his confidence even more.

Looks like Fred will be out for a few weeks & without Bolton you would think Garcia would take the armband.

But IMO Garcia isn't the type of player that needs the 'leader' tag as it is quite obvious he is a natural. I think giving Shime the armband could prove to be effective as we're on a nice run this year and it could boost his confidence even more.

It will be Thompson as he is Vice Captain

Fred was a good choice for a captain to lead by example, however he has to be playing 90 minutes each game for this to be effective. I remember Madaschi's surprise when he arrived at how quiet our players were on the park, you can see the change his arrival brought about. We need a player who can be a loud on-field general, Colosimo never fitted that bill, neither does Fred. Garcia or Grella would be the 2 best options, if he were fit I would favour Grella as he's already been captain of Torino in Serie A, but given the reality, Garcia would be a great choice.

Will he stay on beyond this year?

Richard Garcia was signed for one season only. So before we make him captain we will need to re-sign him.

He's 31, will be 32 in September. I hope we can sign him for another 2-3 years.

our second highest paid player is an impact sub?

Whose our first highest paid player?

Last season our highest-paid player was reportedly Simon Colosimo on $214,000 p.a. Fred was on $200,000 p.a.

Fred was a good choice for a captain to lead by example, however he has to be playing 90 minutes each game for this to be effective. I remember Madaschi's surprise when he arrived at how quiet our players were on the park, you can see the change his arrival brought about. We need a player who can be a loud on-field general, Colosimo never fitted that bill, neither does Fred. Garcia or Grella would be the 2 best options, if he were fit I would favour Grella as he's already been captain of Torino in Serie A, but given the reality, Garcia would be a great choice.

1000% agree. We need on-field leadership. The kind that organise the guys when we're falling into a rut and give them a gee-up. Grella would be my choice if he was fit but Garcia next with PG as deputy. Forget Thomo and Colosimo. Edited by HEARTinator

• 2 weeks later...

Give the kent a 5 year deal please!

We could go back to back with the ATA.

Alex Tobin Award Points after round 18:

19 points - Marco Rojas

18 points - Richard Garcia

17 points - Dario Vidosic, Mark Milligan

16 points - Pedj Bojic, Alessandro Del Piero (How?)

15 points - Michael McGlinchey

14 points - Shinji Ono

13 points - Tom Rogic, Thomas Broich, Youssouf Hersi

12 points - Liam Miller, Marcelo Carrusca, Daniel McBreen

11 points - Rhyan Grant, Aaron Mooy, Adama Traore

10 points - Patrick Gerhardt, Massimo Murdocca, Trent Sainsbury, Archie Thompson, Nikolai Topor-Stanley

Edited by LR9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that we should be doing everything we can to keep him. Make him captain, and use some of the extra 'warchest' Sidwell was talking about today if we have to.

If any of Clolosimo, Fred or Thomo are given contracts for next year, they would have to be on hugely reduced wages, hopefully freeing up a fair bit too.