Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

Domestic politics is a joke. Both major parties are at the mercy of lobbyists, corporations or unions. Removing this influence is virtually impossible. But until it is removed, there is simply no chance of either party governing in the national interest, especially when it comes to policies that actually matter.

There was a moment on Q&A a few weeks ago when Greg Hunt was asked straight-up (by a British neuroscientist) if environmental policy was being influenced by political donations. We all know it is. Hunt said no, then blithered on about something else. Yet, and this is the best part of it, Anthony Albanese actually came to Hunt's defence. 

Not even Labor, with all their moral posturing, could claim a victory on this.  

Domestic politics is a joke. Both major parties are at the mercy of lobbyists, corporations or unions. Removing this influence is virtually impossible. But until it is removed, there is simply no chance of either party governing in the national interest, especially when it comes to policies that actually matter.

There was a moment on Q&A a few weeks ago when Greg Hunt was asked straight-up (by a British neuroscientist) if environmental policy was being influenced by political donations. We all know it is. Hunt said no, then blithered on about something else. Yet, and this is the best part of it, Anthony Albanese actually came to Hunt's defence. 

Not even Labor, with all their moral posturing, could claim a victory on this.  

Why is it necessarily a bad thing that in a two party system the major parties have alter their policies to meet in the centre and capture a majority of the Public's votes?

I'm not entirely sure you understand my point Cadete.

I'm referring to the influence of lobby groups and corporations on both major political parties, which is reflected in the policies they have. I'm NOT referring to the specific policies of either party. 

That Albanese came to Hunt's defence when Hunt was questioned on political donations shows that Labor is just as conflicted. 

Only a matter of time before the left blame Tony Abbott for the death of Phil Hughes.

Well you have gone past even me with that one... 

Only a matter of time before the left blame Tony Abbott for the death of Phil Hughes.

How can a deadly sport like cricket be ok but change fighting isnt...... :redcard:

What is change fighting? :unsure:

• Like 1

Well you have gone past even me with that one... 

How can a deadly sport like cricket be ok but change fighting isnt...... :redcard:

What is change fighting? :unsure:

I think he means Cage Fighting. Labor planning to lift the ban in Victoria if elected. 

• Like 1

Does anybody know why people living at retirement villages were able to vote today?

Why not? I voted today. September 29 is simply the last day to vote.

Actually you technically have to be unable to vote on Saturday to vote early. In practise though, it's not like anyone checks or even cares.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I think that I am the only person on the Left who isn't vehemently opposed to the EWL. Of course I put more of an importance on public transport, but in a city like Melbourne which is the poster-child for urban sprawl cars are always going to be people's preferred mode of transportation. No matter how much you smooth out the process people are always going to find driving from Frankston to Melton better than catching two trains, one of which is V/Line.

Melbourne isn't Tokyo or Paris, the mindset behind building suburban rail was completely different.

lol what Labor's level crossing blitz is only 20 in the next 4 years (8 of which are already being removed), their '50 level crossing removals' policy was by far their best policy.

Also apparently they're going to build a $12bn train tunnel with $300m :hmm:

So basically the Melbourne Metro tunnel isn't actually happening.

Sorry but no one can claim Labor has delivered a better set of promises, if you vote for Labor it's because you're an irrational ideological cunt :up:

Edited by Tesla

Shut the fuck up. I really don't see much wrong with that I've written there tbh but I respect your opinion sir. Good day. Actually I can understand our friend braveheart taking offence from your post. Let's face it there are oxygen thieves of all political persuasions.

Love not having to line up and wait to vote tomorrow, went to the local pre-polling venue and told them I couldn't make it on Saturday because I was going to be too busy playing the new Smash Bros  :up:

Should have done a postal vote. No need to even leave the house! Well, with the exception of having to actually post it. :D

Honestly it will be the most interesting thing in Australian politics watching him try get out of the mess he has created for himself. If he builds the EWL, he has flat out blatantly lied, and based his whole campaign on this lie. On the other hand, if he doesn't, it will be a financially disastrous decision, and the unions won't like a large construction job being cancelled so they'll probably decide to remove him as premier and appoint someone else.

Edited by Tesla

Ive always wondered if the volunteers of the parties who stand around handing out the pamphlets have to spend the day talking to each other through gritted teeth...

I think this forums a good example of how left and right can set their differences aside and get along with each other....

Ive always wondered if the volunteers of the parties who stand around handing out the pamphlets have to spend the day talking to each other through gritted teeth...

I think this forums a good example of how left and right can set their differences aside and get along with each other....

They talk about supporting the local sport team

i totally agree. in my younger days i used to hand out pamphlets for a leftist group and everyone was generally nice. there are always idiots but generally everyone was extra nice.maybe because i was young and everyone was much older that they liked the fact that someone younger actually gived a fuck about politics no matter what side you were on.

I think this forums a good example of how left and right can set their differences aside and get along with each other....They talk about supporting the local sport teamYou would be surprised: Generally everyone is putting good with other and respectful of each others want to give back to the community.

TBH I can't recall any unsavoury moments from when I used to do handouts next to opposition parties in my party days, voters shooting the messenger on the other hand...

Edited by cadete

I think this forums a good example of how left and right can set their differences aside and get along with each other.... They talk about supporting the local sport team You would be surprised: Generally everyone is putting good with other and respectful of each others want to give back to the community.

TBH I can't recall any unsavoury moments from when I used to do handouts next to opposition parties in my party days, voters shooting the messenger on the other hand...

I did it last federal election and had really good chats with the other parties volunteers. Interesting you had problems with voters Cadete I found everyone just either takes them or polietly declined.

I think this forums a good example of how left and right can set their differences aside and get along with each other.... They talk about supporting the local sport team You would be surprised: Generally everyone is putting good with other and respectful of each others want to give back to the community.

I did it last federal election and had really good chats with the other parties volunteers. Interesting you had problems with voters Cadete I found everyone just either takes them or polietly declined.

Well I think its easy for PPL to be heroes when the guy handing out the Liberal cards in a Safe ALP seat is a scrawny 18-19 year old... as I got older it stopped.

FWIW the insults I copped from PPL for handing out Republican Cards for the Referendum when I was 17 were far more numerous and worse... that's fucken Perf for ya though.

Edited by cadete