Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

I don't care what he is saying. Thats my point. Its the same thing as politicians. I don't even hear what they are saying any more because I am so sick of hearing the same thing over and over but nothing changing.

I see where you are coming from mate, but we have to say something. The club just can't go into hiding for weeks whilst we're losing, especially if the media are insisting to talk to us.

I don't care what he is saying. Thats my point. Its the same thing as politicians. I don't even hear what they are saying any more because I am so sick of hearing the same thing over and over but nothing changing.

I see where you are coming from mate, but we have to say something. The club just can't go into hiding for weeks whilst we're losing, especially if the media are insisting to talk to us.

I know. Obviously I am highly emotional right now and nobody is going to be straight up about the issues we are having  in a presser. But it would be nice just once to hear someone actually say, we have issues and this is what we are doing to address them.

• Like 1

Aesop's Fable no. 210 "The boy who cried 'Wolf!'"

I was going to bring this exact point up earlier today but decided against it. This is exactly what JA has become. No one will believe him once he does tell the truth.

It's interesting to see just how irritable he's becoming with the press which I've been enjoying (somewhat) him copping a bit of stick.

Like the old game Outrun (and other games), JA getting a win will just get him some extra time for a few more weeks when he goes through a check-point, but I suspect even once the time has run out, it won't be game over for JA. For Heart on the other hand it might be :(

Edited by alexiano

I know. Obviously I am highly emotional right now and nobody is going to be straight up about the issues we are having  in a presser. But it would be nice just once to hear someone actually say, we have issues and this is what we are doing to address them.

I agree. I have been (rightly) chastised for using platitudes now and again on here, but really, all we are hearing from the club week in week out is platitudes - working hard, unlucky, creating chances, when we get so-and-so back, blah, blah, blah - just meaningless rubbish. And it's gone on for too long and I too am getting angry about it.

• Like 1

All I am hearing from the club right now is "blah blah blah. Bullshit bullshit bullshit."

Its too late for words. Its time to show us, not tell us.

ive gotten used to it. 

i can tell they give 0 fucks about the fans. 

and this is about more than whats happening atm - injuries, responding to emails etc...

JA as coach aside, one memory I will always keep is during the derby at Docklands, JA and Alex Terra at half time geeing up our supporters as they were going into the tunnel as we were getting back on top of the match.

He might not have the tactics, but I don't doubt his passion.

No negative replies please.

Nor will any of who were there forget the first-ever derby. Whatever the future holds no-one can ever take that away from Melbourne Heart.  I can watch that second goal over and over again - a long sweeping move starting with Marrone right across the field and finally Worm cutting back inside and send a long cross right onto Terra's foot...absolutely delightful football and everything that we had been promised.

Just need a bit of that now...

The way they're speaking though sounds like it's all a little too optimistic and wonderful. Sometimes it's ok to say 'yeah we were shithouse and we made mistakes and that it's not good enough.' A little bit of truth without belittling themselves is ok and it would be a refreshing change from the usual speech that 'we had chances and were all doing well we just need luck to change and star players to come back' blah blah blah.

Nor will any of who were there forget the first-ever derby. Whatever the future holds no-one can ever take that away from Melbourne Heart.  I can watch that second goal over and over again - a long sweeping move starting with Marrone right across the field and finally Worm cutting back inside and send a long cross right onto Terra's foot...absolutely delightful football and everything that we had been promised.

:wormy:  :wormy:  :wormy:  :wormy:

Ran out of likes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SkolTwAeU @1:00:00

JA as coach aside, one memory I will always keep is during the derby at Docklands, JA and Alex Terra at half time geeing up our supporters as they were going into the tunnel as we were getting back on top of the match.

Absolutely. The guy is just in over his head. WAY over his head. As I have said numerous times, I am not upset at him, I am upset that the club gave him the job in the first place. He was never anywhere near being close to ready for this. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. The guy is just in over his head. WAY over his head. As I have said numerous times, I am not upset at him, I am upset that the club gave him the job in the first place. He was never anywhere near being close to ready for this.

Whilst I do agree with you mostly, I feel JA can somewhat be blamed for not doing the honourable thing and resigning

Whilst I do agree with you mostly, I feel JA can somewhat be blamed for not doing the honourable thing and resigning

Well, yeah there is that too

Everyone associated with the club will say that the problem is not JA. If that's the case why can't anyone say what the problem actually is? We've thrown a pair of tails 10 times in a row now, the first one or two times it might be bad luck but the coins are looking pretty loaded by now. If we are going to insist that there's no problem, just keep tossing those coins, the next throw will be heads, it strains credulity somewhat

I see only two ways aloisi can go about this to save himself:

1) He hands in his resignation, says that he's not the right man for the job and hopes he can come back one day with more experience. If the players really do believe in JA that much I would think they may stand in his way of quitting.

2) He becomes an absolute prick to the players, starts putting pressure on players that they will get cut from games if they don't perform and work harder especially off the ball and pretty much becomes a mean son of a bitch.

I see only two ways aloisi can go about this to save himself:

1) He hands in his resignation, says that he's not the right man for the job and hopes he can come back one day with more experience. If the players really do believe in JA that much I would think they may stand in his way of quitting.

2) He becomes an absolute prick to the players, starts putting pressure on players that they will get cut from games if they don't perform and work harder especially off the ball and pretty much becomes a mean son of a bitch.

I will take option 1) thanks.

JA is digging his own grave. Not sure he realises he is dampening his reputation and increasing hate from his own fans. I believe he is a real nice guy and I do feel for him when fans put up banners and chant "Aloisi Out" but it has reached the point where everyone has had enough of his winless tactics.

I did hold this view, but the guy no doubt has a mortgage and bills to pay....to resign from a job and lose out on 600k or whatever is a big ask no matter how much he says he loves the club (which I believe he does). You don't make it this far in the sporting world without some kind of arrogance  and self belief built into you. I'm sure theres other things going on behind the scenes as well which Aloisi believes is out of his control and the clubs responsibility such as frictions with the board or whatever which means hes not just going to walk for nothing. 

Absolutely. The guy is just in over his head. WAY over his head. As I have said numerous times, I am not upset at him, I am upset that the club gave him the job in the first place. He was never anywhere near being close to ready for this. Whilst I do agree with you mostly, I feel JA can somewhat be blamed for not doing the honourable thing and resigning

I did hold this view, but the guy no doubt has a mortgage and bills to pay....to resign from a job and lose out on 600k or whatever is a big ask no matter how much he says he loves the club (which I believe he does). You don't make it this far in the sporting world without some kind of arrogance and self belief built into you. I'm sure theres other things going on behind the scenes as well which Aloisi believes is out of his control and the clubs responsibility such as frictions with the board or whatever which means hes not just going to walk for nothing.

If he wanted to he could easily get a spot on foxtel as a game analyst or something along those lines.

I'm not quite sure how people expect Aloisi to bring fans a Championship. Let alone in one season. 

As mentioned above, Aloisi trains the guys with the assistance of 3 others, imparting his knowledge of the game into tactics he thinks will win the club the match. He doesn't get on the pitch, split into 11, and play the game by himself. 

Has he been guilty of some questionable side selections? Yes. But at the end of the day, I'm not quite sure that everyone else is perfect at winning A-League championships.

The problem is that he has been dealt a poor hand of players. To a large extent it doesn't matter how well he plays his cards.

I'm sorry Bella, I've got to take issue with this. There have been some really disturbing things happening from Aloisi that makes me disagree with you. I've said these before in the fan forum thread and I acknowledge our budget is limited.

Firstly, I acknowledge that we have shipped some great talent this season, but I don't think our squad is that bad. We've seen them play, admittedly infrequently, some stunning football. There is great talent in this team that just hasn't been harnessed. We have the making of a solid young defence, have imported midfielders and then not tried them, and we are strong in forwards. I think a tough and forthright manager could have done a lot more with this squad.

My main concerns with Aloisi are:

1. Always blaming things other than himself - weather, desire, transfers ....... The list goes on. I always worry about managers who do this. It shows a lack of introspection and also publicly denigrates players when issues should be sorted in house. This really tests trust within a group.

2. He has admitted publicly players don't follow instructions. This shows lack of leadership from the top.

3. Players not being punished for poor form. As I've said before, mediocrity without consequence is like a cancer in a club. I don't care if we play kids who will bust a gut at the expense of short term results. I want to see 11 committed players in red and white shirts every week. This sets the tone for anyone coming in to the club and develops a culture of discipline and a strong work ethic.

4. A rigid and inflexible game style and structure. Easily worked out and countered.

5. A lack of daring or pulling the unexpected. I've seen no inspirational or innovative surprises which have made me sit up and wonder whether there is any lateral thinking or genius there. JVS would at least tinker with the team.

6. Waiting so long in to the season to seek help on away form. These questions should have been asked much, much earlier.

7. A poor media presence. It's pretty uninspirational, and the question after the recent Wellington away game when asked how he would come out with an improved performance next week, was answered with the notion that all will be well because the next game is at home!!. Stunningly poor performance noted even by my wife who does not follow Heart at all. And awe know what happened the next week!!

8. The players don't look like they're having fun or playing for the coach. If a coach can't inspire then wtf is going on??

9. Players signed, then despite shit form from regulars, were not tried. I don't care if Cameron Edwards or Mauk is not up to it, but will we ever really know??

10. Misleading fans. A recent example being telling fans we have a fit squad to pick from in the Adelaide game, only to learn otherwise in the press conference after the game when looking for excuses.

11. Selection, as noted by many, is incredibly perplexing. Relates to above points.

12. Fitness. Clearly a problem yet not acknowledged publicly or addressed.

13. I know this sounds trivial, but what is the story with a man who wears a (??Armani) suit because he thinks it gives a managerial look, only to tolerate an assistant who looks like a pizza delivery boy. What a contradictory look from the both of them which implies they're on a different page.

14. Squad management. Gray acknowledged early to not be up to it but it took a long time to ship him. I can forgive the Grella experiment, but there was no plan B if it didn't work out. This was embarrassing at the fan forum. I will refrain from other examples.

I think I've said enough, but sorry Bella, I will always be left wondering what a decent coach could have done with this group.

And so on it goes:

15. Denial. To blame the referee for last night was amazing. This is probably the most concerning thing now. A lack of insight in any high performance profession is a recipe for disaster and indeed very dangerous to all around. I haven't heard the words "I messed up tonight". Would be refreshing.

16. Squad building and talent identification. He hasn't inherited all of the squad. Meeuwis was appalling last night and Coyne pretty poor. Both at odds with our youth policy, yet hardly setting the world on fire. There is gold out there, but our gold detector is a poor one. Whilst he doesn't find the players, ultimately he must approve them and be accountable for those decisions. He does, after all, have absolute veto.

18. Tactical nous. Again highlighted last night. Sitting deep until the game was gone. Blind Freddy could have seen we conceded too much space last night from the start, yet the change came at half time. Game over.

19. Skills coaching. We've actually seen players go backwards as the year went on with their technical ability, confidence and high performance. "Coaching" is teaching and building. Not what we've seen.

20. No fire. I want to see a coach pissed off, angry and venomous if need be. We all want to see passion. The bland press performances give the impression of indifference or defeat. I don't want to see either.

And so it goes.

I posted this on 25th March this year. I'd hate to think what the number in the list of problems is up to now!!

• Like 1

Aloisi doesn't deserve bashing. Yes, it's his tactics, man management and training routines that are losing us matches and causing injuries.

It's our board however, who offered him the job. It's the board who hasn't terminated his contract. It's the board - that despite their considerable collective wealth - have us training on a cow paddock next to some tin sheds with wheelie bin ice baths. It's the board who haven't done enough to get people through the gates. It's the board that has made ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision. It's the board that seem to be content at the foot of the ladder.

Sacking JA won't solve our problems. The board need to change the way they operate or sell the club.

Show us you care pricks.

Well said mate :up:

Best post in a loooong time

• Like 1

Aloisi doesn't deserve bashing. Yes, it's his tactics, man management and training routines that are losing us matches and causing injuries.

It's our board however, who offered him the job. It's the board who hasn't terminated his contract. It's the board - that despite their considerable collective wealth - have us training on a cow paddock next to some tin sheds with wheelie bin ice baths. It's the board who haven't done enough to get people through the gates. It's the board that has made ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision. It's the board that seem to be content at the foot of the ladder.

Sacking JA won't solve our problems. The board need to change the way they operate or sell the club.

Show us you care pricks.

Spot on. Absolutely spot on.

We are going nowhere with these idiots in charge.

Show us you care pricks.

Spot on. Absolutely spot on.

We are going nowhere with these idiots in charge.

What really pisses me off is the fact that this board have picked a manager based more on his profile and marketability then the fact he could actually manage. 

At the end of the day winning games put asses on seats and marketability is only a short term gain.

Whilst I agree with most of the above re the Board, I still think JA has a lot to answer for. The fact he put himself up for the job to me showed a huge lack of insight for someone who had been around professional football clubs for so long.

Managing a collection of professional athletes successfully requires a skill set that is vast and diverse. This is pretty well universally achieved with an apprenticeship model where one is exposed to different mentors and situations to learn one's craft. Alarm bells rang for me when he accepted the job and then had to obtain his coaching licences. This is like an apprentice sparky taking over an electrical business before he's done the requisite training. Something we would all deem ludicrous and definitely overreaching. We have an analogous situation.

All codes of professional sport are littered with the exceptional sporting talent who retires and thinks their skill set on the park is automatically transferable to the coaches box. World football and AFL throw up some stunning examples of failure with careers ruined. The fact that JA blithely pushed on without acknowledging his own weaknesses or lack of training deserves criticism in my mind.

Dirty Harry summed it up best: "man's gotta know his limitations". If this can't be recognised in oneself, how in gods name can you manage other people. You're already starting from a bad position.

The sad thing for JA is that this lack of introspection and the idea that enthusiasm can overcome everything has probably tarnished his career for a long time, possibly irreparably.

• Like 1

it is pointless campaining to get rid of the board as it is never gonna happen since the board and the owners are the same people.

Apart from picking an inexperienced coach and signing him for 3 years and then failing to fix their problem!, 

I fail to see where else they've gone wrong.

They are managing to grow a club that loses every week. Thats a fair effort right there.

Show us you care pricks.

Well said mate :up: Ta' l-ustja :-)

Best post in a loooong time

it is pointless campaining to get rid of the board as it is never gonna happen since the board and the owners are the same people.

Apart from picking an inexperienced coach and signing him for 3 years and then failing to fix their problem!,

I fail to see where else they've gone wrong.

They are managing to grow a club that loses every week. Thats a fair effort right there.

The only way board will change if the club is sold.

Different owners with football experience would be preferable.

Thus far I haven't seen any potential buyers I would be happy to buy mr Sidwell's project

• Like 1

10. JOHN ALOISI, Melbourne Heart

Poor John Aloisi. The Socceroos legend is having a torrid time in the coach's box, thrust into the role after just a season as a Youth Coach and his side has struggled to make an impression since. Winless this season, after notching just eight victories last term, the side look bereft of ideas and don't even mention what happens when they fly out of Melbourne. They might as well not go. There's plenty of people who want to see it work but whether the club's hierarchy - who took the gamble of appointing him ahead of Ante Milicic - let him stick out the season, is a big, big if.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/who-holds-the-coaching-aces-in-the-aleague-now-that-postecoglou-arnold-are-gone/story-e6frf4gl-1226770115187#ixzz2ltwwYXaq