Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

Well, it's not like the role was given to Aloisi when he didn't want it, he actually applied for the coaching job!

He should've done what Muscat did and learn the trade as an Assistant, it's also what Mulvey did and what Milicic is doing now.

Personally, I don't want a recycled coach (Kossie or JvS), I'd rather a new face; even if it was Gerard Nus! Rudan might be a good choice but he's probably holding out for the SFC role...

Honestly, bar Perth, we've been pitted against the strongest teams in the league thus far (including WSW this sat)

The first half was extremely positive and annoying we didn't convert anything.

I'd said that if they played the 2nd half with same intensity I'd be happy regardless of result.

Heart stuck it to them but defensive (and ref offside) error(s) cost the game.

I have no doubt that heart will bring It in Fri, I just fear that the fans have given up. I see the diamond in the rough but I too am growing restless.

The problem is that from where we sit, there are 9 strongest teams. We want to be in a position to beat these teams, not just put in a competitive half on the way to another loss

Taken as a whole, his record sucks. No doubt.

I think we'll give him another 3 or 4 weeks though. The record doesn't show it, but I think it undersells his performance this season, if you choose to focus on just this season so far.

Round 1 - a 90 minute stalemate against a top 4 side.

Round 2 - should've beaten last year's premiers, and I really don't think Aloisi is responsible for the way we conceded the 2 goals.

Round 3 - indefensible crap

Round 4 - against another top 4 side, second tough away trip in a row, we could've been in a position to win if we took one or two of our chances when we had the running. You don't dominate whole games like this one and if you don't take your chances when your on top, you'll usually pay the price when the momentum changes. I at least give Aloisi credit for the way we approached the game.

Yeah, it's certainly not outstanding, but for me, enough to give him the next couple of games. We should be thinking seriously about who the potential replacement should be though. Use this time to work out the candidates and probably start talking to them. 

• Like 3

"A young club should not be experimenting with inexperienced coaches, it should be after experienced gaffers who can and will get the job done, not those who might or could"

But you're happy to have mark rudan who has never coached at a league level? Not discounting his success at NSWPL level but it's an oxymoron.

I get what you're saying, but experimenting with JA and Mark Rudan is completely different. JA was mediocre at best in a single season in the youth league. There is a big difference between Mark Rudan and Aloisi 18 months ago as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't really see it as an experiment (or at least to the same degree) as such given his success across the NSWPL. I get what you're saying though, probably should have left the door open in that previous statement!

Fix, why wouldn't we want Foxe? Not suggesting he's the 'right' appointment but I don't recall anyone suggesting he shouldn't be considered.

Bloke gets criticism for the way he dresses thinly veiled as criticism about his management style.

I dont think he should be considered because I think a change of the coaching department needs to happen. Not because of what he wears.

I think it's worth sticking with JA for a next few weeks to see how he responds to this pressure. What the heart have missed so in its existence (and in particular today against the Roar) is a quality striker, someone who will capitalise of those half or golden chances we just seem unable to convert. 

The teams tactics and player selections are our two biggest worries, I have nothing against a counter attacking game plan, Dortmund and Monchengladbach apply this beautifully, but we just seem to play the long ball from the CB's hoping that one of our 'pacey' wingers will latch onto it. I think while it's tempting just to criticise JA, the players have to take some ownership of their performances, for me, only Massimo and Wielaert have been standouts this season.

I think the problem is the manager not the people around him. I've seen Foxe on game day and he's as committed as the players are. Sure, I agree that he's probably a year or two off a full management gig but the bloke cops far too much criticism.

Fair point

But you have to agree he dresses like a tosser.

If you can back up your appearance by delivering results you would see people rock up to the games dressed like him.

For fun and as a stamp of approval for his methods

ATM his boss looks like pep and he looks like pizza delivery boy while their team looks like bunch of Amish at spearmint rhino

3-0 is NOT a true reflection of the game.

We dominated the first half but just didn't take our chances.

There were numerous shots for goal missing by the width of the ball. They go in we win.

There was that shot from Ramsay that hit the cross bar and didn't go in.

Surely Aloisi is not responsible for Ramsay missing that sitter after 6 minutes?

Edited by Parrot

3-0 is NOT a true reflection of the game.

We dominated the first half but just didn't take our chances.

There were numerous shots for goal missing by the width of the ball. They go in we win.

There was that shot from Ramsay that hit the cross bar and didn't go in.

Surely Aloisi is not responsible for Ramsay missing that sitter after 6 minutes?

Absolutely correct John

Don't forget to say you are happy with the performance

After all win away from home can't be far now, can it?

Jestr, I'm not happy.

As I posted elsewhere:

For the Manager to be pleased with a 3-0 loss after the game makes me want to spew up.

We don't have a team of 10 year old kids. 

He should have said it how it is - "At this level you have to take your chances."

And I'll further add, he should have also added  "If you show you don't have the temperament to take your chances, then we'll find someone who does." 

By the way, WTF are we doing lobbing long balls up to Mifsud?

Mulvey offers constructive criticism and says he wasn't happy heart outplayed them in first half

It means that the individuals in the team should reassess their performance and to earn place in the team, they must not allowed this to happen regardless of the final score.

JA was "happy with the performance" " we created chances"

It means that the individuals in the team did well according to the coach and as long as they try hard and create chances eventually the ball will go in

Hurray!!

I bet every one got " we'll done for trying" certificate after the game

Jestr, I'm not happy.

As I posted elsewhere:

For the Manager to be pleased with a 3-0 loss after the game makes me want to spew up.

He should have said it how it is - "At this level you have to take your chances."

And I'll further add, he should have also added  "If you show you don't have the temperament to take your chances, then we'll find someone who does." 

I know.....

I'm just pissed off with the world ATM

Jestr, I'm not happy.

As I posted elsewhere:

Gerhardt is mainly responsible for those long balls. Has been doing it since preseason of last year.

• Like 1

Just imagine if they had lost. Unhappy Brisbane Roar coach Mike Mulvey has described his team as “clueless” and resembling “rabbits in the headlights” despite reclaiming the A-League ladder lead with a 3-0 win over Melbourne Heart at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

In contrast, Heart mentor John Aloisi sounded like the winning coach just moments after his side’s woeful win-less road run was extended to 16 games, banishing them to the A-League cellar.

“There is a certain level of expectation about being a Brisbane Roar player,” said Mulvey after two goals by Henrique inspired their third win in four games.

“And I think today in the first half we were like rabbits in the headlights.

“We looked clueless sometimes.

“At halftime I shocked a few people into being scared of their shadows.

“It was the result we wanted but we want to go about it in a better manner than that.”

At http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/11/04/roar-clueless-despite-win-coach/

This is embarrassing. A tem beats us 3-0 and their Manager is pissed off while our Manager is pleased!

Edited by Parrot

Hardsy, I can see some merit in what you are saying. 

as a disclaimer, i have been pretty pissed with Aloisi all season with his inability to string meaningful statements together in press conferences.  add to that the debacle in Perth and I can't honestly see Aloisi being a good long term fit for the club.  for the best part of the last two weeks i would have been quite happy to see Aloisi gone.

that being said, i can see reasons for keeping him on.

Reasons for staying:

=> we have shown glimpes for most of the season where player based errors have been high and have cost games (think the penalties against CCM, our inability to put away our numerous chances yesterday - particularly earlier in the game where going up 1-0 would have had a big impact)

=> JVS and a few others have been brought in to help.  this means that they need time.

=> we would be throughing out the entire preseason.  yes we have been shit but i question how that helps the playing group get better.  they basically have to start fresh, which puts them 4 games and any number of preseason trainings.  it could also be argued the other way, however i'd question how easy it would be to change coaches now and implement a new system for this season.  it will take time to build - how much time can we truly afford to waste this point?  from where i sit the club might be better to take a man manager approach to any new coach as opposed to a tacticion.  which means they are working off what Aloisi was trying to implement.

Reasons for his Sacking:

=> close enough isnt good enough.  just because we make the chances doesnt mean that we have done well enough - we are in a results driven industry.

=> Aloisi has taken one point from 14 games.  to keep him on is to throw good money after bad.

=> if we go now, we have the chance to get the best out there first.  its not panicking if you are the first of many out the door.  its called a head start.

Overall;

I can see merit in keeping Aloisi until we play WSW away in December.  it gives Aloisi time to get his system working.  if not, then he needs to go.

I just hope the club has the ball rolling for when he does get sack.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

I've grown so sick of having to put up with Aloisi. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted him to succeed, if Heart were able to develop him into a quality coach then it would be great. However, his time has come, he has had a negative impact on the club. A young club should not be experimenting with inexperienced coaches, it should be after experienced gaffers who can and will get the job done, not those who might or could. I was very disappointed when Milicic wasn't offered the job as he was clearly the better man for it, and Aloisi had proven nothing as a manager and was only given the gig because of his name and what he did as a player.

I can't see Milicic coming back to us, why would he leave WSW at this stage? His job is excelling and stable in a successful environment, why would he risk that to come back to Melbourne? Did he even leave on good terms? I wouldn't have thought he would have been too impressed with the decision to appoint Aloisi. When the inevitable happens, it won't be easy to replace JA, we'll have to look long and hard. 

Who would be the best candidates? Someone with experience and who's a proven performer at this level or higher.

The only two past A-League managers who I'd be happy with would be:

- John Kosmina

- John v'ant Schip

Mark Rudan would be my pick. Great football brain, has been coaching for a few years and has won two pieces of silverware this year with Sydney United who are pretty much the best club football side outside of the a-league.

I agree. They have won the NSW league and taken out the National league that was played in Tasmiania a month ago.

The thing is he should not have been given a chance in the first place. 

This farken

Ever worked in a large corporation where the fucksticks in marketing pulling in $200k per year come up with ideas that the person at the coal face dealing with the actual customers knows those ideas are not want the customers want?

Well thats exactly what happened:  Aloisi was seen as a wildely known name in Australia that would give the club media attention and interest in a city where AFL is king and we are the smaller of the two A-League clubs.  A far more marketable identity than Milicic.  When all the customers ie the fans wanted was an improvement on the pitch.  

Thats all there was to his appointment.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 2

I know he got sacked, but why come back here to sit in the background

i thought one of his kids is completing their education here?

Well its a part time gig and there are people willing to pay his flight over plus expenses plus a wage.

TBH we tend to look at JVS through rose colored glasses.  He tried to play a possession-based game, the players were too slow to make it effective, and then went very direct.  results weren't great.  He did outcoach Durakovic at the derby when Thompson scored twice, so that is something.  I suppose.

John as great as he has been for Australian soccer and Melbourne heart as a player, He just hasn't made it as a coach, The away record is horrible and you do not get far if you don't win away, The lack of plan B has killed us. It's time to move on John, You have done good things for Australian soccer just not as Melbourne Heart coach. We need somebody to take us to the next level and start winning away.  

I think the problem is the manager not the people around him. I've seen Foxe on game day and he's as committed as the players are. Sure, I agree that he's probably a year or two off a full management gig but the bloke cops far too much criticism.

You can't fault JA for his commitment, just his team selection, team playing style, tactical adjustments during the game and player subs.

You can't fault JA for his commitment, just his team selection, team playing style, tactical adjustments during the game and player subs.

totally agree Bela, Aloisi is the one who gets final say on who he has as an assistant, etc.  he devises the game plan(s) and the one who is appointed to manage the team as a collective.  it is his job, pure and simple.

sure, players can commit errors at any given time and Aloisi is powerless.  however, consider how many times we see fuck ups from Hoffman and co that are the same errors time and again?  you seriously think that Aloisi can't correct that?

Still cant believe why the media have been so kind to JA and the club lately. It's like only the supporters are seeing whats really happening here and the amount incompetency that surrounds this club atm. Foxsports ppl seem to jump at the opportunity to criticize Sydney FC and Newcastle for their bad starts to the season. But with us they are so dam kind that makes things seem alot better than what they actually are and its rubbing off badly on the team who think they are actually 'unlucky' to be without a win this season