Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

The thing is he should not have been given a chance in the first place. 

This gets said a lot, but the problem is it's unimportant now. It's completely academic who should have been selected as our head coach going into our 3rd season. Aloisi was given the job, so the debate about what should of happened way back then is academic, and it won't help us in the present.

This question is, should Heart stick with Aloisi, or gamble (as changing coaches mid-season is always a gamble) and change coaches mid-season? 

I think the next 4 games are distinctly winnable (even the WSW match, they have started rather slowly, and we're playing them at AAMI), so I'm going to hold my judgement on Aloisi for 3 more games.

• Like 1

David of course I'll be there on Friday night, we will all be supporting the club including JA. No one can doubt his passion or desire to succeed however we do have to look at his record. Can you honestly see any progression between where we were when he took over and where re are now and we have a much better team this season? Yes, he has had some bad luck, but managing bad luck is what separates good managers from the rest. We don't have a good manager and in a club with a strong city rival that has a history of success, this threatens our growth. I haven't seen any serious media pundit tip us all season, most predict we will finish 9th or 10th this season, why do you think that they are wrong?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

We have two home games coming up, and he/we would want to win both.

I know I was the creator of the Aloisi=Legend thread, but even I have seen just about enough. You can only blame certain factors and extraneous bullshit so many times. Good teams find a way, bad teams find a way to lose. Not hard to see what category we're in.

Farking depressing.

Sorry Hardsy it's mediocre thinking you have written.

If we had any ambition as a club, we would act now.

Fans have lost patience, I can see a low crowd Friday night which being on FTA would be an embarrassment. This club needs to act.

We are lucky in that a big wsw group of fans will be travelling to Melbourne that will boast crowd numbers. But regardless of this Aloisi should do the honourable thing and step down if he has any love of our great club.

The club need to act now...aloisi should be called into the directors room and be given his marching orders.

Milicic or rudan..mhfc make the calls tonight

I think this speaks volumes. A club/franchise barely a year old is riding high off the field after excelling on the field and we're expecting them to prop up our crowd figures. Give me a fucking break.

We've accepted being average the last three seasons, and made excuses for it. I'm pretty sick of hearing 'oh just wait until we get X player' or 'if only Y player wasn't injured'. 

Fuck. 

It's not that hard to see even Mulvey outthought Aloisi this afternoon. That in itself is pretty embarrassing.

This is the sad reality we as fans are facing. I'm sick to death of the chances and the free passes aloisi gets and keeps on getting given. Sure if sucks in any levels or life to get sacked from a job but like everyone else if you do not perform in your role, if you don't bring any ideas of ambition you get the as, this is life. Aloisi do the right thing an resign. Your you craft in the lower state leagues and earn respect as a coach. Plain and simple. The fans cannot keep on supporting a coach who has not brought anything to this club. We are dead last I cannot even remember,bet the last competitive game we won, that's how bad we are.

This gets said a lot, but the problem is it's unimportant now. It's completely academic who should have been selected as our head coach going into our 3rd season. Aloisi was given the job, so the debate about what should of happened way back then is academic, and it won't help us in the present.

This question is, should Heart stick with Aloisi, or gamble (as changing coaches mid-season is always a gamble) and change coaches mid-season? 

I think the next 4 games are distinctly winnable (even the WSW match, they have started rather slowly, and we're playing them at AAMI), so I'm going to hold my judgement on Aloisi for 3 more games.

I see what you mean that it is a gamble to sack the manager mid season and that it is a big call but we aren't going any were with JA so we might as well try our luck with somebody else and if they fail then At least we know that we tried, that way we can't really lose any more the What we have already have and what we will with JA.

How can you hold you judgement? It's quite clearly been shown the 9 times out of 10 he will be out coached. The only way he will win another game is if he coaches against the jason hoffman of coaches. Even though he was missing kewell and Orlando it's still not good enough. He has thrown away our original game plan just because one player is missing. I do agree sacking a coach will not solve all our problems, but it will at least give the club a quick shot in the arm, just what a club with a small fanbase needs.

Edited by kingofhearts

How can you hold you judgement? It's quite clearly been shown the 9 times out of 10 he will be out coached. The only way he will win another game is if he coaches against the jason hoffman of coaches. Even though he was missing kewell and Orlando it's still not good enough. He has thrown away our original game plan just because one player is missing. I do agree sacking a coach will not solve all our problems, but it will at least give the club a quick shot in the arm, just what a club with a small fanbase needs.

Aloisi is the Jason Hoffman of coaching

• Like 1

I see what you mean that it is a gamble to sack the manager mid season and that it is a big call but we aren't going any were with JA so we might as well try our luck with somebody else and if they fail then At least we know that we tried, that way we can't really lose any more the What we have already have and what we will with JA.

No, if/when we sack JA we have to have a clear plan for our style and performance targets for the season. We need to look for a coach who doesn't just want to be the hero rescuing the club but then piss off, we want someone who really wants to succeed and sees this club as a perfect opportunity to continue a proven record. This will cost some money. There's little to gain from finishing 10th with a different coach just to change for change's sake. It isn't about punishing JA, he's doing his best, it's about what is best for the club.

• Like 1

Aloisi's coaching record at A-League Level

P:31

W: 8

D: 5

L:18

GF: 33

GA: 46

Averaging under a point per game.

JVS coaching record at A-League Level

P: 57

W: 17

D: 19

L:19

GF: 67

GA: 76

JA

5/31 clean sheets 16%

13/31 without scoring 42%

JVS

14/57 clean sheets 25%

14/57 without scoring 25%

Could someone compare their respective home records

I think there's some revisionism going on here. We matched it with Victory in their home game at Etihad, and were the team more likely to win, we drew 2-2 with last year's champions and would of won if not for some cruel refereeing decisions, and Aloisi clearly out-coached Mulvey for the first half of today's match. Heck, even Matt Smith and Mulvey himself said as much.

The only standout failure was against Perth. And the fact is if we somehow managed to win that game we would have had 2 draws, 1 win and 5 points and everyone would most likely have been talking Heart up.

So, given that we've only had 1 real bad performance, and things would have been so different if we managed to get a result against Perth in Perth, I'm going to hold my judgement for 3 more games. Our first 4 matches were against some of the A-League's strongest sides, but I believe the next 3 matches are distinctly winnable, so as I said I'll decide to stick with Aloisi or demand a change of coaches after we play our next 3 matches.

I think there's some revisionism going on here. We matched it with Victory in their home game at Etihad, and were the team more likely to win, we drew 2-2 with last year's champions and would of won if not for some cruel refereeing decisions, and Aloisi clearly out-coached Mulvey for the first half of today's match. Heck, even Matt Smith and Mulvey himself said as much.

The only standout failure was against Perth. And the fact is if we somehow managed to win that game we would have had 2 draws, 1 win and 5 points and everyone would most likely have been talking Heart up.

So, given that we've only had 1 real bad performance, and things would have been so different if we managed to get a result against Perth in Perth, I'm going to hold my judgement for 3 more games. Our first 4 matches were against some of the A-League's strongest sides, but I believe the next 3 matches are distinctly winnable, so as I said I'll decide to stick with Aloisi or demand a change of coaches after we play our next 3 matches.

Murphy1 can you see an improvement in our playing style since the start of last season?

You are right, we have 'come close' in many games but win none of them. We have periods of dominance, rarely take our chances and if we do we regularly lose the game anyway.

Edited by belaguttman

Oh come on Murf.

We drew with CCM because GolGol missed an absolute sitter and we allowed CCM back into the game by defending too deep and hence gave away two penalties.

We lost to Perth because we were poor. And I can't see how a 0-3 defeat can be anything other than a bad performance. 

Apologies for whoever already posted this but I dont wan't him sacked until will have a ready replacement. I don't want to be anything like Sydney FC. JVS clearly doesnt want the job. HOWEVER, I bet he has contacts.... Hell this might be the reason we hired Nus as an assistant?

Edited by Dylan

Isn't JVS operating half here half back in holland? What's the point in having a manager who's only in the country for a few weeks at a time?

Still better than Aloisi. But to be honest I wouldn't want JVS either. Give me Ian Holloway, Rado Vidosic, Mark Rudan, Ante Milicic or a Gombau type. 

No to JVS. I just dont think he will bring swift change which is what we badly need right now. But if we were to sack JA tomorrow then realistically we will have to look at Rado Vidosic or Ante Milicic type if we want a quick replacement.. or else we will have to cop Hayden Foxe as caretaker for a few weeks which im sure nobody here wants.

Personally I would like to have Ante back. He would've learnt alot about building a winning culture from working with Popovic at WSW. If he can combine that with the clubs original football values that has been pissed on by JA then we can finally have something to look forward to.

The Perth game was a shocker. It really hurt us and was a massive missed opportunity to get points on the road and end talk of the away hoodoo.

But I agree that otherwise, he hasn't coached badly at all so far this year. Well, in at least as he's prepared the side well for the other three games and confounded expectations in each of them. His achilles heel still seems to be making decisions that can affect games during the 90 minutes. But today, (and against CCM) some of the things that went against us are also out of the control of the coach. In both cases, an effective looking game plan came unstuck to a fair degree through mistakes and missed opportunities.

Edited by Sash

Honestly, bar Perth, we've been pitted against the strongest teams in the league thus far (including WSW this sat)

The first half was extremely positive and annoying we didn't convert anything.

I'd said that if they played the 2nd half with same intensity I'd be happy regardless of result.

Heart stuck it to them but defensive (and ref offside) error(s) cost the game.

I have no doubt that heart will bring It in Fri, I just fear that the fans have given up. I see the diamond in the rough but I too am growing restless.

How do you back a coach with a losing mentality? We have the biggest losing streak on the road since JA has been in charge if that isn't saying the guys coaching inability then I`m not sure how long you have been around football.  

The players are playing without confidence its time to go! He never should have been appointed in the first place he should have done what other coaches do and that's spend time as an assistant and learn the ropes so the club is partly to blame!!

The club loses the next two games and its season over and goodbye to the crowds ......

The Brisbane match is a tough match to analyse. I fully agree that if we took our chances we would have won. And we might well have won quite comfortably. If we managed to beat CCM (and didn't have BS penalties called against us, for example), confidence would have been up, and I reckon that additional confidence would have been enough for our players to put away their chances. The final scoreline really conceals how close we were to winning.

Sorry dude you can't sugar coat a 3-0 bending over I think he's just saying that if Ramsay, Mifsud or Gerhardt put away their shots when it was still 0-0, or Ramsay's shot that hit the post went in. The game would've ended very differently. Whether we would've won or not it's impossible to know, but it wouldn't have hurt and would've boosted moral in the team

and that's the coaches job to boost moral in the team 16 losses on the road says the club has a losing mentality pack your bags JA you weren't ment for coaching!!!

Honestly, bar Perth, we've been pitted against the strongest teams in the league thus far (including WSW this sat)

I'd said that if they played the 2nd half with same intensity I'd be happy regardless of result.

I have no doubt that heart will bring It in Fri, I just fear that the fans have given up. I see the diamond in the rough but I too am growing restless.

I hear you, but putting in a good performance and not winning any points for the Ladd is a concern. Two points from a possible 12 is a concern

The problem is that from where we sit, there are 9 strongest teams. We want to be in a position to beat these teams, not just put in a competitive half on the way to another loss

The problem is that from where we sit, there are 9 strongest teams. We want to be in a position to beat these teams, not just put in a competitive half on the way to another loss

It's basic football, you need to win games....

I've grown so sick of having to put up with Aloisi. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted him to succeed, if Heart were able to develop him into a quality coach then it would be great. However, his time has come, he has had a negative impact on the club. A young club should not be experimenting with inexperienced coaches, it should be after experienced gaffers who can and will get the job done, not those who might or could. I was very disappointed when Milicic wasn't offered the job as he was clearly the better man for it, and Aloisi had proven nothing as a manager and was only given the gig because of his name and what he did as a player.

I can't see Milicic coming back to us, why would he leave WSW at this stage? His job is excelling and stable in a successful environment, why would he risk that to come back to Melbourne? Did he even leave on good terms? I wouldn't have thought he would have been too impressed with the decision to appoint Aloisi. When the inevitable happens, it won't be easy to replace JA, we'll have to look long and hard. 

Who would be the best candidates? Someone with experience and who's a proven performer at this level or higher.

The only two past A-League managers who I'd be happy with would be:

- John Kosmina
- John v'ant Schip

I've grown so sick of having to put up with Aloisi. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted him to succeed, if Heart were able to develop him into a quality coach then it would be great. However, his time has come, he has had a negative impact on the club. A young club should not be experimenting with inexperienced coaches, it should be after experienced gaffers who can and will get the job done, not those who might or could. I was very disappointed when Milicic wasn't offered the job as he was clearly the better man for it, and Aloisi had proven nothing as a manager and was only given the gig because of his name and what he did as a player.

I can't see Milicic coming back to us, why would he leave WSW at this stage? His job is excelling and stable in a successful environment, why would he risk that to come back to Melbourne? Did he even leave on good terms? I wouldn't have thought he would have been too impressed with the decision to appoint Aloisi. When the inevitable happens, it won't be easy to replace JA, we'll have to look long and hard. 

Who would be the best candidates? Someone with experience and who's a proven performer at this level or higher.

- John Kosmina

- John v'ant Schip

Mark Rudan would be my pick. Great football brain, has been coaching for a few years and has won two pieces of silverware this year with Sydney United who are pretty much the best club football side outside of the a-league.

• Like 1

- John Kosmina

- John v'ant Schip

Mark Rudan would be my pick. Great football brain, has been coaching for a few years and has won two pieces of silverware this year with Sydney United who are pretty much the best club football side outside of the a-league.

Good point mate, would be a nice inclusion. He'll be at the top of Sydney's list, dare I say, so he may be hard to lure since he's a Sydney boy.