Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Melbourne FC vs Newcastle Jets - 5:30 Saturday 24/11/12 AAMI Park

Hammerhead

This was a great result for us. 2 games at home without a loss! I think that this is the first time in our existence that we've conceded 2 goals but then scored again, usually we would collapse into doubt and disorganisation and lose, so well done. It was clear that a 2 goal lead was never going to be enough with both Goodwin and Virgili to come on in the second half and we missed plenty of opportunities to go in a safer 3-0. Once we'd conceded the first the second goal was the world's safest bet but I was thrilled not to see us collapse like we usually do.

Our back 4 are the problem. Marrone and Behich give us plenty of width and drive but provide poor service with the final ball. 'Mr Bean' Colosimo makes too many mistakes and Gerhardt really should be higher up the park. If we have some luck we might get a draw against Sydney FC before we have our regular drubbing at home from Perth.

13 games without a clean sheet. We will sometimes draw and win less often until we can start keeping a clean sheet.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

5-8k home crowds is not sustainable either.

I really do believe we have short circuited our football club with going away so much from JVS and the original Heart philosophy.

Happy to lose some games, if there's something long term we're building to.

In what way are we not building towards that / why should we have to build towards whatever this 'ethos' or 'philosophy' is, which to be frank i still don't quite understand or believe ever really existed?

Good first half, pathetic defending in the second, though Gerhardt still looked alright - Goodwin really brought much needed energy onto the field for Newcastle.

Fred was very dissapointing for me. Fucked around with the ball in front of goal, didn't challenge for the ball much. Marrone is lacking spark too, which has been the case a few times this season. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench for a week or two but i have no idea who would replace him.

Liked Willo and Garcia, them inversing was an interesting maneouver from Aloisi late into the first half and i think the played their respective wing positions well when called upon. Hoffman provided many roffs as usual. Shime was somewhat better today, but would much perfer Vrankovic on the field to him. Curious as to why Vrankovic wasn't included in the match day squad, particuarly when it never really looks like Sam is going to get a run.

Also, as i sit directly behind the bench, i'm happy with how Aloisi manages the team. Barks a lot of good quality instructions to the boys, also swears a lot which provides the roffs. Safe hands i feel, even if we're not getting the results.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

3 goals all came from the left hand area in front of the central defender. First ball crossed in not closed down. Second shot from in front of left central defender again not closed down, third one running at left central defender. Sorry Simon to old to slow and over paid. Time for a seat on the pine.

If members of this forum can't see it (some can) opposition coaches know it. Take it at Colosimo. Gives it up like a hooker on a busy Friday night on Grey Street.

Edited by wombegongal
  • Like 1

Why didn't Fred pull the trigger when he has chances? Williams as well. Zadko takes a punt and puts it past a hapless Bolton. Says it all doesn't it. Virginia played for the penalty by running into Colosimo and the ref was conned 100%. We should have put the game to bed in then first half.

Edited by HEARTinator

Seriously what the fuck are we doing? 2-0 up fucking cruising and what happens in the second half? we fall asleep.

Just a fucking rabble at the moment. We have no defense structure at all

Aliosi fix this shit up or fuck off

We'll win very very few games unless we are able to keep clean sheets. That's the difference between us and WSW, we leak 1 or 2 goals minimum every game without fail. We really need to find a good CB like Madaschi. apart from that we can live with what we have but really can anyone imagine smeltz not getting his regular 2 goals against us at our next home game?

Good first half, we played all over them but didn't convert our chances. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing our blokes being too scared to have a dip and actually take a ping at goal.

Marrone and Garcia just tore assholes in that first half and we should've been at least 4-0 up.

Got really pissed off with our second half, woeful defending and the defence just went to sleep.

Was so upset at the end of the game, it was just so gut wrenching. It is games like these that me wonder whether the players have the passion. For example Garrucio (I know he is a kid still) but FFS lay a fucking tackle son.

It was just lamentable, now for next week.

Entertaining enough game with six goals scored, and for the Heart some goals of real quality.

bloody disappointing though not to win. Cant believe Zadkovich scored; 99/100 that shot would have gone into row Z.....

Tadic / Garcia / Thompson are starting to click more often, but Fred doesnt seem to fit in the midfield puzzle at the moment.

Once again, it was our CB pairing and our lack of a defensive midfielder that cost us. As much as I dislike him, put someone like Jacob Burns in our our midfielders in place of Hoffman and we would be killing it.

Agree with BelaG, last year we would have lost this one

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

Agree Torn Asunder. The weakness at DM was really obvious today and a huge ongoing problem. Not only with the inability to play out, but the cover for the back four was very weak in the second half. I didn't rate Thommos game and Hoffman looks very nervous on the ball. It was obvious team mates were reluctant to play through him for fear of coughing up the ball. It wasnt a good look. Gerhardt should be tried there immediately. Colossimo again poor and time for Vrankovich to have a run, possibly with Gray, or a different structure with a back three. Have we tried anything bar a 4-3-3 all year?? Newcastle played a 3-5-1-1 for most of the game and JVS experimented with a back three at various times.

On the plus side, bar the Goodwin goal, Marrone took a step forward today. It was good to see him overlapping and pushing up the park and working with Garcia. Whilst Behich is always keen to push up and open options, we had often lacked this on the right but today it worked well. Hopefully his confidence will grow.

Garcia again sensational and Tadic impressive. We should have buried the match before half time. Again we can say we show great potential, but it's wearing a tad thin when results are slipping.

• Like 1

That first half was really good, Tadic, Garcia, fantastic as always. Colosimo blegh. If this was last year I think we would have lost. I have a feeling that we are on the right track, but we just need to start getting decent results and learn how to keep a clean sheet.

Although my good deed for the day was showing a German tourist where Aami Park was, he found out about us online and went to check it out haha!

Fairly satisfied with that draw. There were only 2 outcomes that were ever going to result from this game: we'd win or we'd draw. 3 points would of been pleasing, but I'd like to see us draw more now and again, as our season has been way too up and down so far.

AAMI Park has been something of a fortress for us this season. We've had a win, 2 draws and only the 1 loss. If you include the Melbourne derby (which I think is fair enough. It is a match in Melbourne) we've achieved 2 wins, 2 draws and only 1 loss (8 points out of a possible 15).

We also continue to do well and get points if we score first. There hasn't been a single game this season where we've scored first and lost. We've won 2 and drawn 2 games after scoring first, which is good to see.

Aloisi really got it right playing Garica as RW. Tremendous start to the game, with Garcia being involved in both goals.

Very pleased with Tadic again. He holds up the ball excellently and really helps get other players involved in our attacks. I'd like to see him get more chances to score though. We don't get the ball to him often enough in the final third, and I reckon if we provide him with good enough service to have 2 chances on goal each game he'll always score at least once. I'm not even sure he got good enough service against Adelaide to have 1 shot on goal, so I'd like to see us get more out of him.

Fred was okay, but he looked and played like a player coming back from injury. I reckon he'll be integral in the engine room once more by next week.

We did drop off a bit in the second half and got punished by 2 top Newcastle young guns after they were substituted on. But like Belaguttman I was very pleased with the resilience of the team. We haven't frequently shown resilience and been able to get back into the game, so I was real satisfied to see us pick ourselves back up and fight out the rest of the game.

Newcastle, IMO, were lucky with a soft pen. Virgili just ran into Colosimo. Also, I believe Thompson managed to toe-poke the ball out of Virgili's possession, so he didn't even have control of the ball as he ran into Colosimo. Nonetheless, Colosimo stood too still and perhaps had his leg protruding slightly, which Virgili used to fall over. In the A-League with its standard of refereeing it is effectively risky to even stand near players in the box, so Colosimo was a tad thoughtless to allow that collision with the Newcastle player. Colosimo, and Gerhardt, were solid defensively and keep Heskey quiet (a striker who's torn apart multiple A-League defences), so it was unfortunate that that late penalty went against Colosimo.

Sydney FC away next week, which I think is exactly the match we need now. Sydney could not be any weaker at the moment, so it's an ideal time to play one of our away games against them. With more players coming back into the squad and returning to full fitness, I reckon we'll have good odds to claim 3 points against Sydney.

Edited by Murfy1

If Colosimo's intentions are to destroy this club then he is doing a mighty fine job. Spectators will not continue to turn up when we manage to throw away points due to stupidity every week and no one is held accountable. I for one wont be spending another 4 hours on trains just so Colosimo can top up his retirement fund while topping up the oppositions points tally.

Unless we sign Beckham and can turn some theatre goers into long term fans then this club will not be around long term with continual capitulations at home. With the free tickets available, nice weather & the drawcard of Heskey the crowd size would've been expected to be much higher. Sidwell & co will eventually get sick of covering losses so 6-7000 people can watch a team that can't close a game out.

• Like 1

I thought Fred was woeful, as was Thompson. They take so long to decide what to do that they invariably cough the ball up.

A draw is an acceptable result sometimes, but surely not when you were 2-0 up after just four minutes? It should have been 4-0 by half-time. If we could learn how to take a free-kick, and pull the trigger in front of goal.

IMO this was another two points lost, not a point gained.

• Like 1

Result aside, it was an improved performance from all our recent games, bar the Brisbane win. Good first half and good for periods in the second. The third goal was fantastic - I haven't seen a replay yet, but from what I recall, the sequence of passing was excellent.

But, I thought Marrone's lack of concentration for the first goal was terrible. (Otherwise, I thought Marrone was better today.) They had a good strike for one goal, but that should've been the only goal conceded. Defensive mistakes mean we need 2 or 3 goals every week. Surely Steven Gray or Vrankovic should be given a try ahead of Colosimo.

Dropped two points. But better than a loss. And at least we didn't suck completely. I think we can still get it together on today's performance, but we need to start posting wins.

Edited by Sash

Colosimo did very well against Heskey. He really got underneath Heskey's skin and Simon and Gerhardt wore him like a second skin. Colosimo does all these good things every match yet also has his Mr Bean moments that almost always cost the team. So far this season it's been 1 red card/goal, an deflection/goal and a penalty/goal. Aloisi has done very well to play Hoffman in the middle of the park, he's much better there than he is wasting opportunities as a forward. He needs to improve his defending though.

I'm not sure about the Sydney game, it's just the sort of familiar Heart 'banana skin' game that in the previous 2 seasons we slip over on and lose all our momentum. It's important to win there as we don't have a snow flakes chance in hell of any result against Perth the following week, we haven't even scored 1 goal to their 12 in the last few games

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, really cannot handle Colosimo in the side anymore.

He is a Sham. Disgraceful. I am new to the forum, but I also don't see why Bolton doesn't get criticised a lot more. His distribution from the back is woeful. 5 times he gave the ball up in dangerous areas. He even had the gonads to have a go at another player when he was clearly at fault. His shot stopping is ok, but he is not the player he was and I believe he should not be between the sticks for us.

Bolton and Colosimo have to go. Aloisi seems like he won't make the hard decisions with these two. Could cost him his job. It has become regular the amount of times Colosimo has cost us points. He is a lousy defender and like Bolton, prone to unforgivable errors. Too long in the tooth.

We have trouble with retention of the ball. We play a counter attacking style that takes away momentum from us and it is hard to retain once the other side has the edge. We also think we can walk the ball into the back of the net, We are not that good.

I have some serious concerns about the sustainability of our club. The people in charge show no desire to do anything that will increase the profile of the club (except to obtain Beckham) and I honestly cannot see how we can get the crowds up to be able to have this club a long term viable club. 5-7 thousand people is disgusting, to make matters worse was the feeling at the ground. Kudos to Yarraside who sang their hearts out, but it is a lackluster feeling attending a game at AAMI for a Heart game at the moment, If performances continue to disappoint the masses and the Victory keep on winning, this club will find it very hard to get out of a rut it finds itself in. The problem is the people at the club.

Just my honest opinion of how I see the club. Open to have views expressed differing from mine, but today was a total let down on and off the field.

• Like 3

Crowds won't increase until we start winning regularly. It's really that simple in my opinion.

7,000 means we're maintaining our levels while being second last on the ladder. And it's at least important that our core support isn't going away. If we can get a string of wins, crowds will get better. I don't think anything else will do it. (Except Beckham. And winning + Beckham will be even better!)

Edited by Sash

5-8k home crowds is not sustainable either.

I really do believe we have short circuited our football club with going away so much from JVS and the original Heart philosophy.

Happy to lose some games, if there's something long term we're building to.

Hasn't got anything to do with style. The only thing that has remained consistent for the three years we have been in the league has been the people in charge. The Administrators. They have let the club down. In Melbourne it is beyond comprehension to have crowds this low. It is because they generate absolutely no interest in our brand. There are several ways to do this, but the club are content in being a small blip on the radar. Sad but true.

Not good enough, felt like a loss - should not concede 3 at home, pathetic second half. Tadic & Garcia were fantastic.

BUT it's not good enough at all, the amount of times combined we play shit at home or give away wins is unbelievable.

To those that criticize us booing at the final whistle need to shut the fuck up, honestly. We have a right to let them know it's not good enough to be giving away 3 points on a regular basis at home, and tbh, it SHOULD work as motivation, as they know we're on their backs, and to lift their fucking game. If you think otherwise, you need to take a look at yourself - clapping them when we concede 3 goals in the second half AT HOME is unbelievable, it's simply not good enough, and we've been shocking at home over the 2 and a bit seasons we've been playing - clubs should come to Melbourne knowing they're going to find it difficult to get 3 points, and coming out of it with 1 should be extremely good for them, but atm, any club knows they're a very good shot at taking home 3 points even when we're winning in the first half, it's a complete joke. Our away form is better than our home win, and when that's the case, you're destined for the bottom of the table - We should be getting AT LEAST a point at EVERY home game.

• Like 4

Totally agree with you Sash.

There's a lady at my work, she's not really into soccer but on Mondays she usually asks me how Heart did on the weekend. This season mostly I have to tell her we've lost, or had a disappointing draw.

Earlier this week I said to her, you should come to the Newcastle game, good time, nice weather etc.

She said, nah I don't think so, why would I want to watch a losing team?

Just one person, but I really think this is the number one thing that determines attendances.

At least for the last two home games we have scored lots of goals, so noone could say its not entertaining,

But that disappointing atmosphere after not winning a game would probably prevent some people from coming back.

• Like 1