Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Melbourne FC vs Newcastle Jets - 5:30 Saturday 24/11/12 AAMI Park

Hammerhead

So Gerhardt was playing DM in Bosnia for his previous club? From what i saw, i think DM is his preferred postition, and his drive and touch on the ball are definitley suited to a midfield role. Perhaps his there only as a temp? He showed great drive and ambition against Adelaide, our best player, and i would certainly play him DM/MF if we have the ability to do so.

We got nothing really out of our wings against Adelaide, I think one of them needs to be a more senior player...

And Thompson seems the best suited, I guess if the paper is right and Fred does play then Garcia could be this player instead.

Edited by cadete

Sam Minchinson, Stefan Mauk and Jeremy Walker trained with the senior squad today, as well as Garuccio and Vrankovic.

Walker's a right back, so it's good to see some pressure on Marrone to keep his spot. Mauk, from what I've seen is an attacking midfielder who looks very promising, but I can't see him coming in to the squad yet with Fred coming back.

Fred trained and should be right this week. I don't see any sign that Gerhardt will be used anywhere other than central defence. Grella not there today so still on a separate program - maybe playing in another practice game this week. But I can't see him being considered yet. Germano was there but not training with the squad But it looks like he's started doing some fitness training at least.

I don't get the feeling that they're going to start experimenting with the side too much. With Mate out, I'd say Williams will come into the 11. I reckon Garuccio might come into the squad as well. Fred off the bench perhaps? Vrankovic and Gray both trained so either might be an option to bring in as well.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Sam Minchinson, Stefan Mauk and Jeremy Walker trained with the senior squad today, as well as Garuccio and Vrankovic.

Haha, awesome news.

My post straight after Fridays match:

Time to play Vrankovic or Mitchinson at CB. Aziz looked fatigued, but still servicable.

Tadic/Garcia a class above.

Some of the youth players are better then Hoff/Kalmar.

Garrucio should come straight in, Steve Mauk and Stipo could walk in and Jez Walker should come in for what's been a really poor Marrone.

Also really excited with Grella to come in, however there are strong rumours Garcia is on his way out.

Bolton

Gerhard - Vrankovic - Gray - Behich

Grella

Thompson - Garcia

Williams - Tadic - Garrucio

Edit: However, I thought the YT were all training with the seniors on a full-time basis..?

Edited by LR9

Edit: However, I thought the YT were all training with the seniors on a full-time basis..?

I don't see training very regularly, but I've never seen them train together. Yesterday, the youth squad was training at the same time as the seniors, but seperately. I haven't seen any integration of the two.

I don't see training very regularly, but I've never seen them train together. Yesterday, the youth squad was training at the same time as the seniors, but seperately. I haven't seen any integration of the two.

So...what happened to that much-heralded integration? Wasn't it supposed to be a first for the A-League and all that sort of thing?

Possibly so. Just having a look every now and then, I can't speak for what happens on all the other days. But from what I've seen, there's usually a couple of youth players training with the seniors. I haven't seen the squads combined yet.

Edited by Sash

So would any of you like to offer any ideas of how we should be playing? From what I've seen, except for when we play Brisbane and Victory, we've been giving the ball away too easily, looking for too many ambitious long passes which aren't coming off, and not creating many meaningful chances. I'm sure JA's working on a strategy and I'm hoping we can get it to work, but I'm not confident and I really think more short passing, possession and keeping the ball on the deck works better. Especially now that we have talented midfielders like Garcia and Fred.

And 'just shoot' isn't a strategy. It's the football equivalent of the moronic AFL fan who calls out 'just kick it' all the time.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Ok, Sash.

1 - there's not enough movement from our players trying to create space. This has obvious issues when trying to 'play it out from the back'. As a defender myself, there's nothing more frustrating than looking upfield and seeing fuck all movement from the midfield and forwards. That leads to going long, because there's a lack of options.

2 - Too slow to transition. When we do transition from defense to attack quickly, we rip teams apart as demonstrated against Vuck and to a lesser extent Brisbane.

I'd like to see more movement, and a bit more urgency from the players this week.

Having a few shots on goal wouldn't go astray either.

• Like 2

I think this year we've definitely altered the balance towards trying to attack more quickly and directly. I can see why, but I just don't think we're doing it very well yet. If it clicks it could probably be good, but we haven't mastered it yet.

Edited by Sash

I agree Sash if it clicks it will be amazing, but there are too many things that are not clicking to think its just a matter of time. I am no expert on tactics, but it just seems like (with the exception of a handful of games/moments) its one of these same things over and over.

-Bolton passes short, defenders pass sideways for a while, look up, nothings on so they pass it back to Bolton, Bolton kicks long and we lose possession or defenders just pass it sideways a few more times

-Eventually we manage to move to midfield and its either passed straight back to defense who continue to knock it sideways a bit more or we have the ball taken from us

-Someone makes a lung busting run down the wing, finds them self in the corner and either puts in a poor cross or passes backwards, we pass around some more and ether lose possession or reset and start all over again

I think another issue with our long term game plan is that even if we do end up winning games 1-0 by scoring that high percentage shot that we have taken 60 minutes to create, we need to remember that we are trying to attract new people to the game and to people who have little understanding of it find this very, very dull to watch. I have taken mates to games before and felt the need to apologise to them at half time and reassure them that sometimes we do have a crack at goal.

When I asked a mate how he found his experience at a Heart game he said "you know that episode of the Simpsons where they go to a soccer game and the commentator says over and over "Holds it, holds it, holds it?" It was kind of like that"

Edited by KSK_47

-Bolton passes short, defenders pass sideways for a while, look up, nothings on so they pass it back to Bolton, Bolton kicks long and we lose possession or defenders just pass it sideways a few more times

-Eventually we manage to move to midfield and its either passed straight back to defense who continue to knock it sideways a bit more or we have the ball taken from us

-Someone makes a lung busting run down the wing, finds them self in the corner and either puts in a poor cross or passes backwards, we pass around some more and ether lose possession or reset and start all over again

Succinct and accurate summary of the past 2.26 seasons.

• Like 1

Having a few shots on goal wouldn't go astray either.

This!

What happened when we kicked it at the Nuxx keeper? He didn't feel comfortable and he never caught it. Always parried it away to defenders. I'm guessing if we do more of that to the 3rd Jest Keeper, the same could happen and we may find ourselves with a few goals from tap ins!

But most likely, we will work the ball around hoping to walk it in the net.