Melbourne Football

David Beckham

MPM

I'm beginning to get excited, if we do get him we'd definitely have a very strong team (atleast on paper anyway) if JA can put it together correctly

Williams Tadic Garcia

Fred Beckham

Grella

Behich Colosimo Gerhardt Marrone

Bolton

We'd have so much depth in midfield, I think it'd be good to move Garcia up forward in either an attacking midfield role or on one of the wings

Was on ABC-774 radio news at 1.00 p.m. today. One of the three headlines, and then covered in the sports section. We've offered a six-figure sum for him to play a 10-game guest stint from the New Year until the end of the season. Scott Munn was our spokesman. He said there'd be stiff competition from around the world...but anyway, we're in there.

Mixed feelings. Obvious benefits but I feel like we are losing our identity this season.

Forget our supposed "Identity"

This week our Fan Engagement Officer sent out an email to Mongs saying they can have free tickets to our next game.

A game that is perfectly positioned on a barmy Saturday Evening against a club playing a former EPL Star CF (Who may I add has been in great form all season).

FFS why dont we try secure our Club’s long term future in the A League so my kids are born they can one day be Heart Supporters.

What good is an Club Identity if our club does not exist or only at Junior State League Level???

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

I think, i am leaning towards favouring the move, only because it might be the spark which sets off the clubs success in the future by boosting membership numbers and attendances. I think it would be the move that propogates us to Victories level, on a marketing/fanbase point of view. Footballing terms, it's very risky and quiet frankly the wrong move, but potential to improve it and sustain it for the future so it would be overall i think a good move. Lot of people will adopt Heart if Becks joins, and that's good i think.

I think, i am leaning towards favouring the move, only because it might be the spark which sets off the clubs success in the future by boosting membership numbers and attendances. I think it would be the move that propogates us to Victories level, on a marketing/fanbase point of view. Footballing terms, it's very risky and quiet frankly the wrong move, but potential to improve it and sustain it for the future so it would be overall i think a good move. Lot of people will adopt Heart if Becks joins, and that's good i think.

Footballing terms?

The guy is still a good player, who is a hard worker and a good teammate and someone who plays well with players of a lower level and actually enjoys helping such players out with their development.

His Set Pieces and Corners alone IMO could see us earn an extra 8 to 10 pts in a 10 game stint that we might not normally win.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Footballing terms?

The guy is still a good player, who is a hard worker and a good teammate and someone who plays well with players of a lower level and actually enjoys helping such players out with their development.

His Set Pieces and Corners alone IMO could see us earn an extra 8 to 10 pts in a 10 game stint that we might not normally win.

It would be interesting to see how JA handled the hype if it were to happen. Id say he would have no problems, so far in his press confrences he seems pretty assured in his position

Footballing terms?

I agree, he'd be a quality edition for this standard.

But what i meant was, instead of pumping 6 figure sum to bring him here for a measly 10games, it is more useful for the club on footballing terms, to pumping 6 figure sum into developing the club further (facilities, academys etc).

But given our situation, i think it is worth splashing the cash on him and sort of going all in.

I agree, he'd be a quality edition for this standard.

But what i meant was, instead of pumping 6 figure sum to bring him here for a measly 10games, it is more useful for the club on footballing terms, to pumping 6 figure sum into developing the club further (facilities, academys etc).

But given our situation, i think it is worth splashing the cash on him and sort of going all in.

I think the FFA would join the party in terms of funding.

That '6 figure sum' would be looked at as an investment, as they will make a decent return, rather than expenditure (if it were pumped into development instead). So really its money they wouldn't usually be willing to spend.

I really wish it was an 18-month deal rather than a guest contract.

Also remember the money that has been saved from JVS's departre (Approx. $5-600k), which they were more than willing to spend to keep him on for another season.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Not interested in the slightest in a 10 games guest stint. If Beckham is signed it must as a minimum be for the rest of this season, from the date FFA allow him to play, and 2013-2014.

Loved how Ange Postecocoglou completely dismissed the idea of a 10 games guest stint. Heart should have the same attitiude

if he wants "One last challenge" i have a feeling that he want more than just a 10 game guest stint... Therefore i think that an 18th month deal would be a better suited for him

There's nothing that prevents us signing him on a 10-game guest basis for this season and then offering him a contract for the following season.

If we can pull off even just a guest stint it will put Melbourne Heart on the map. Beckham is just about the biggest football name we could get. Plus he comes with a celebrity wife and everything that goes with that - fashion and glamour. He'll get people though the gates everywhere he goes, and sponsors trying to get on board the Heart.

I can't see anything against it - only positives for the club and everyone connected with it.

• Like 1

• I'm seeing comments like signing Beckham will boost membership numbers and sell 30,000 jerseys with Beckham's name on it. A few home games with Beckham playing won't boost membership numbers for next season, nor will there be a massive sale of Heart jerseys with Beckham's name on it if folks know he's leaving after just 10 A League games for Heart.

I'm sure the brainstrust at the FFA would allow special dispensation for a club to include him on their roster regardless of if they have the full quota of players and/or foreigners. They know it would be in the Leagues best interests to tie him down long term rather than for 10 games.

This is the FFA, they move the posts when needed, ala Wanderers getting the extra foreign spot. They'd know that Heart are the club that need a drawcard like Beckham to draw the fans in more than anyone. I'm sure they don't want to see crowd figures in one of their key markets struggling to top 8k. They should be doing everything in their power to get this club on a sustainable base for the future.

Melbourne Heart confident of luring David Beckham to A-League after lodging 'compelling' bid

By Sam Lienert

November 20, 2012 2:22PM

Melbourne Heart are set to lodge what they say is a compelling offer to try and lure David Beckham to the A-League club.

Beckham will play for the LA Galaxy for the last time in the US Major League final on December 1.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said while the 37-year-old would be fielding offers from around the world and other A-League clubs, Heart believed they were in with a chance.

"I can't put a percentage term on it," said Munn.

"What I can say is that it's certainly real, we're putting forward an offer, it's compelling and the opportunity is here for him to come here.

"That is absolutely legitimate.

"Let's let David get through next week, play the final of the MLS and hopefully he'll have a win.

"Then I'm sure he'll assess every offer."

Heart's offer will be based on a 10-week stint including finals and be worth between $1-2 million.

He said while Beckham would obviously provide a huge off-field boost, his form and fitness meant he could immediately also be a significant on-field asset.

Heart skipper Fred, who played against Beckham in the MLS, said his effect on the club and the league would be enormous if he came.

"Oh my gosh. Every game is almost full house," Fred said of Beckham's drawing power in the US.

"Especially I think the women come to watch him.

"But he's good. If he comes it will help the league 100 per cent."

Fred said Beckham would also help his teammates.

"He's a good player, he's still fit, I think (it would be) good for us to get experience with him," he said.

"It would be amazing. Everybody knows about him."

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/melbourne-heart-confident-of-luring-david-beckham-to-a-league-after-lodging-compelling-bid/story-e6frfkp9-1226520419079#ixzz2CjsqwSAw

Differing reports over what deal we are offering. Another recent article reported:

Heart will be offering a 10-week guest stint to Beckham but are open to negotiating a longer term deal now that he will be leaving the Galaxy.

The club will be presenting a six-figure fee for the superstar but that deal could rise to more than $1 million with the potential of third party-payments.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/melbournes-wholehearted-effort-to-lure-beckham-20121120-29ngi.html#ixzz2CjtZw1wN

Agree with the comments of Parrot above.

The guy gets paid 6-figures for 10 games. TWG reports that is expected to go up based on 3rd party involvements. Realistically, our 6 figures has to be in the realms of $500K plus, but more likely $750K plus. That's $75,000 per game. EDIT - ABC News 24 had vision of Scott Munn saying that 1-2 million is not unreasonable.

ATTENDANCES -

If the 10 games are the last 10 games of the regular season (starting 26 Jan 2013) , we have 5 home games - so you would expect about 20K more in attendance per home game (on average). Now ticket prices will vary based on the availability of AAMI sections, plus you can imagine that there is going to be the "5-game Back Membership" package. Say $120 package for the 5 games. And probably 8 to 10K of the +20K new attendance purchases that package. That's $1.2 mil profit for the membership package. Plus the other 10K don't buy memberships, so on average $35 per ticket per game. That's $350K for the 5 games of non-committal supporters. The increase attendance brings in roughly $1.55 mil over 5 home games.

But you need to take out all the new AAMI expenses like more security, staff, food and beverage costs, opening the closed sections, etc. Who knows on that price, but it would be approximately $20-40K per match = $100-200K over the 5 games. Leave you with $1.45 to 1.35 million profit from new attendances.

Also, 1 of the 5 away games is an Away Derby. Benefit for Victory re: ticket sales etc.

MERCH -

Of the now estimated 25-30K attendances to Heart games, a conservative estimate of Beckham shirt purchases would be 15K? So $120 per shirt by 15K shirts = $1.8 mil less Kappa costs.

OUTCOME -

So we have spent $1 to 2 mil for him, and we have made between 2.25 mil and 1.25 mil from him. He plays 10 games. If we make finals, obviously figures change. But that is IF we make finals.

Maths kind of didn't add up. Changes in bold

Edited by biancorosso7

My only fear is how annoying the crowd will be. 15-25 year old women screaming "You're so hot Becks, take your shirt off!" etc. and AFL bogans saying "Why don't they pass it to Beckham" or "He's not even that good". I might lose it.

Still 100% behind the idea though.

That's your ONLY fear? Wow. What a life you live!

Just wear earphones and listen to some choons so you don't hear that. No problems!

Maths kind of doesn't add up.

Er, if you get 20,000 extra people in though the gate at an average cost of $35 per seat that's $700,000 per game...not to mention the corporates plus food and drink sales. Sure there are extra costs but I think you'll find the club has done its arithmetic.

Something to keep in mind for those who feel that Melbourne is the only place that he would live- CCM are interested too, which is only a few hours drive from Sydney

He won't live in Gosford and who could be fucked driving from Sydney every day for training if he were to live there.