Melbourne Football

Carl Valeri

Huzie

Maybe next season if Grella only stays for 1 season?

Precisely. Both Garcia and Grella are on one-year contracts at the moment. And I'm sure that we will see some releases at the end of this season.

Valeri would be great for us. And why wouldn't he join us. We have a Board with a long-term vision of sustainability, JA as head coach, a belief in development of players, a great home stadium, and the best set of fans in the country, all in one of the world's most liveable cities.

Scott Munn's response to the tweet in the opening post:

Scott Munn @ozsportsInsider lol

It is clear that with Aloisi as coach we are an attractive destination for Socceroos, and as opposed to marquees or internationals we'd prefer to sign Socceroos when possible. However that tweet, from a source that is inconsistent, seems to me to be wild speculation. We don't need a midfielder, and with Valeri's club apparently doing well he doesn't need to move.

I can see us signing more Socceroos if Aloisi stays at the helm beyond this season, but I don't see us signing Valeri anytime soon.

We don't need a midfielder...

Not right now - perhaps. But next season it's a different story. Garcia, Grella, Germano, Fred, Kalmar, Thompson and (I think) Hoffman all come out of contract at the end of this season.

According to Transfermarkt this season Valeri has had just 30 minutes in Serie B and 107 minutes in the Coppa Italia.

Looks like this rumour has no realy substance but for argument's sake...

I know we have an inbalance with our mids but at A-League level I don't think you can knock back an opportunity to get a player like Valeri (unless the $$$ are huge but knowing our club, we wouldn't do that anyway). At day's end a player like Germano is on minimal salary so not killing us to have him as a squad player. Garcia, Gerhardt and Thompson are all versatile players, as is Fred to an extent.

I do have a lot of faith in the club not making impulsive signings (if anything it's the opposite). As with anyone who cares about the Heart, I would love a good CB but if none are simply within our grasp, further enhancing our strengths is OK by me!

• 3 months later...

Hasn't had much game time recently. Probably the sort of player we should be targeting. At 28 he's not likely to be snaffled by another club, but of an age that he could give stability and good service to us. And we do need to get a stable midfield if we're going to get anywhere at all.

I'd think he would be a sound pick-up.

Edited by jw1739

Unlikely, has been keen for a Canberra A-League venture so he's more likely to come over when that happens imo. He's only 28 though...seems like it would be a long way off.

No offense intended as I understand that you are obviously attached to the place, but if Canberra get a team your gone aren't you?

Troisi isn't getting much game time, maybe Juve might loan him to us (seeming they where here last week) instead of sitting on the bench at Atlanta.

European teams cbf loaning players to us because we're on the other side of the world, plus Troisi can get a gig at a much bigger team than A-League.

Edited by Tesla

Troisi isn't getting much game time, maybe Juve might loan him to us (seeming they where here last week) instead of sitting on the bench at Atlanta.

European teams cbf loaning players to us because we're on the other side of the world, plus Troisi can get a gig at a much bigger team than A-League.

Altona Magic?

Troisi's at Atalanta, not Juve. They co-own him, but Atalanta have the playing rights.

He's been playing bit-part so far, but I think he's getting enough time for him to be satisfied with his current path there.

As posted in the other thread, Valeri is a very logical option, and would be a great fit for us.

Just look at how bad things are getting, now we are just trying to sign anyone to make up numbers. Shorly this is evidence enough that the board made a huge mistake in signing a rookie coach in our 3rd season. Can someone from the club admit it... Scott Munn LAST season said if the heart don't make finals Heads will Roll... What about this season???

While the club is keen to add a midfielder after the sudden retirement of the injury-plagued Vince Grella, its football operations chief John Didulica scoffed at Twitter talk that Valeri, 28, was being lined up for a Melbourne switch.

While CEO Scott Munn is currently in Italy, it is on unrelated business with Didulica declaring: “Carl Valeri has not been discussed at any level and I can categorically say he will not be joining us.

“I personally haven’t spoken to him for two years. Of course, we are looking for a midfielder and a right and left back following the departures of Michael Marrone and Aziz Behich but it won’t be Carl Valeri for the midfield slot.”

Valeri, who signed a new two-year deal with Sassuolo in July, hasn’t played for his club since early November and remains out injured – and out of contention for Australia’s friendly against Romania in Malaga, Spain, next week.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/news/1139053/Heart-denies-Valeri-link

Valeri no.16 - It was on Wikipedia for like an hour or so...weird. I definitely saw it.

Any old bum can edit a Wikipedia page, and normally for rumor stuff people try to add it quick without checking just so they can 'be the first' with putting the information

• 1 year later...

I always thought he was from Canberra. His name is always mentioned whenever talk of expansion to Canberra pops up.

He IS from Canberra. Don't know where the Melbourne talk comes from (maybe because most Italian-Australian footballers are from here).