Melbourne Football

Richard Garcia

gundam

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-set-to-sign-former-socceroo-garcia-to-bolster-side-20120815-248y3.html

MELBOURNE Heart is poised to sign former Socceroo Richard Garcia, subject to the injury-plagued 30-year-old passing a medical.

Garcia played for Australia at the 2010 World Cup and spent two seasons in the English Premier League with Hull City.

The West Australian moved to England as a teenager, and in 13 years there played for West Ham United, Colchester United and Leyton Orient as well as Hull, with the bulk of his career spent in the championship and the premiership. Garcia's career has been curtailed in recent times because of knee injuries, but he finished his last contract with Hull, starting in 10 matches in the second half of the championship campaign in 2011-12.

Should the Heart deal come through, Garcia will be used as a central midfielder, probably sitting deeper and playing behind the two mobile box-to-box midfielders, Matt Thompson and Fred.

Advertisement

That might come as a surprise to local fans who, knowing him mainly from his Socceroo appearances, have pigeonholed him as a winger.

But Heart football manager John Didulica says Garcia has a pedigree as a central midfielder, which makes him well-equipped to fulfil the role here.

''He played in that position when he was younger at West Ham and also played that sort of role in the championship. This is the A-League, not the Premier League or championship, and he is a skilful player with good technique who can play in a central position here,'' he said.

''Kevin Muscat, who had spent all his life as a full-back and defender, showed when he came back and moved into midfield, where he had such an enormous impact for Melbourne Victory, that if you are a good player you can play that deeper role in the A-League.''

Didulica says if Garcia gets medical approval, he would have no concerns about his physical capabilities

I don't know that much about Garcia, and haven't seen much of him in action. Could be a solid signing. I still don't get why we are so eager to sign another defensive midfielder or as the article says a 'central midfielder', with Heart even going to the extent to sign Garcia who is not a regular DM. Perhaps Gerhardt will always or mostly play as a CB, that's all I can think of.

Also, I hope that medical is rigorous.

If the medical staff give him the OK, given the lighter workload in this league, he should probably be fine in that regard. Given that, and if he isnt on too high a salary, that's a reasonably good signing. He wasnt really good enough for the NT but should go alright in the A-League.

• Like 1

Interesting. Out of left field. Six weeks ago he was set to go to the Chinese Super League. Wonder why that didn't happen?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1111306/china-beckons-for-aussie-garcia

I suppose that if you sign enough midfielders who are injury prone then you have a fair chance of having two available for any particular game.

Seriously though, as per comments by others - rigorous medical required, and agree that the MRI should be part of it.

If he passes it, then he could be a good signing.

Edit: Agree, looks like Grella is out of it. And we're still going to need two more players who qualify as 'youth.'

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Two players from the NYL team? Groenwald (sp?) and one of the Walkers perhaps?

I think given the time given to him to play in trial matches, Groenwald would be the front runner.

But as for the "second" option, club has a few choices, like Poscoliero, Guerrero del Solar (nationality permitting), Mitchinson (not sure of age).

So that effectively rules out Grella.

Does it really though? I might be missing something with restrictions and specifications on A-League squad numbers but unless we no longer have the money for Grella due to Garcia's wage demands - which i would hope aren't too exorbitant - I don't really see how this effects JA's primary goal to sign another DM.

I could be completely wrong though.

Edited by Che

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1116482/Heart-closing-in-on-Garcia-coup

Australia midfielder Richard Garcia has agreed terms with Melbourne Heart as he heads to the A-League after 14 years in England.

The 30-year-old, a part of Australia's 2010 FIFA World Cup squad, has been looking for a fresh start since being released by Championship outfit Hull City at the end of last season.

And Heart CEO Scott Munn confirmed that Garcia - whose other clubs included West Ham United, Leyton Orient and Colchester United - is undergoing a medical before putting pen to paper.

Garcia, who has 14 caps for his country and is desperate to resurrect his international career, was a team-mate of Heart assistant Hayden Foxe at Upton Park and his signature will be a coup for a club determined to make a sizeable impact in the looming A-League season.

He met Heart head coach John Aloisi and also his new team-mates, with Munn telling The World Game: "We've been in discussions with Richard and he's been down to look at our set-up today.

"We'd love to have him on board. He can play anywhere across the middle, or even up front, but we see him as slotting into our midfield.

"We're excited and just need to finalise a few things, including his medical and then we can proceed.

"He feels there is an awful lot of football left in him - and we agree. He finished last season in Hull's first team after suffering a few injuries prior to that and has, of course, played at the highest level in the Premier League while at the club."

It's understood Garcia may have a clause in his deal which would allow to him to switch to Asia - in the same vein as recent departures Brendan Hamill and Adrian Madaschi - should the opportunity arise next year.

Munn added: "He still wants to explore his options and we are not sure yet how the terms of the contact might be finalised but we should be in position early next week to move forward with everything.

"He wants to get back to playing regular football and get back in front of Holger Osieck and hopefully play himself back into the Socceroos squad. That's certainly uppermost in his mind and we would love to help him achieve that.

"He's the last piece of the puzzle for us in terms of signing experienced players. We have 19 in our squad now and the next couple of positions will go to some youngsters.

"We feel we now have a good balance and looking forward in terms of signings it will be about bringing in youth."

Heart eased past local premier league side Northcote 1-0 on Wednesday night with newcomer Dylan Macallister scoring the only goal.

Does it really though? I might be missing something with restrictions and specifications on A-League squad numbers but unless we no longer have the money for Grella due to Garcia's wage demands - which i would hope aren't too exorbitant - I don't really see how this effects JA's primary goal to sign another DM.

I could be completely wrong though.

If Aloisi manages to sign both Grella and Garcia then maybe it sheds some more light on what got him over the line as senior coach, i dont see it happening (getting both) but the ability to sign 2 past socceroos would be quite a big Ace to have you would imagine.

"He's [Richard Garcia] the last piece of the puzzle for us in terms of signing experienced players. We have 19 in our squad now and the next couple of positions will go to some youngsters.

"We feel we now have a good balance and looking forward in terms of signings it will be about bringing in youth."

Which seems to rule out Grella.

Edit: http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Richard-Garcia-leaves-Hull-City-new-adventures/story-16236626-detail/story.html

Edited by jw1739

Apart from the loophole to disappear to Asia, I like the signing!

Not happy with the loop hole either. I want him to play to help Heart win, not just to get some CSL contract.

I understand for a young player working their way to Europe, like Hamill, but let's face it, Garcia won't/shouldn't ever be back in the Socceroos again. Socceroos need a major re work and bringing in a older injury prone player is not the way.

• Like 1

Surpised by some of the pessismism here , this is a massive coup & I suspect he'll be on decent coin aswell, which rubbishes some of the unbased innuendo posted on here that the club is purposefully keeping a small squad ahead of next season to save on costs.

Plenty of talent getting about now. We have certain potetnial to go for this season, the only question I have is if Aloisi has the managerial knoweldge to bring it all togther and get the results. Time will tell on that front.

• Like 1

this is a good signing...put alot more hardness and solidarity into the squad which was already looking very good...1 thing you do want is a side competing amoungst themselfs for spots, the team will go along way...hopefully 1 more decent signing may follow. otherwise squad looks very good!!

Great signing. Garcia taking over the Perth heart squad position from babalj. Confused why we are planning on playing him centrally when the main thing we are missing in te squad is a wide player who can produce dangerous crosses. Something Garcia is definitely capable of.

• Like 1

this guy has spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch. and at 30 y.o? we already have injury ravaged Fred, I don't think there is a requirement for another. Bad signing IMO

The same was said about Kewell prior to last season and IIRC he only missed 1 or 2 games. The benefit of the A-League is the easy schedule and the warmer climate which is far more accomodating on the body than the UK.

Good signing IMO.

The A League's fixture will suit him, has obviously tons of ability and JA will know exactly how to treated a senior player whose had to deal with being injured a bit in his later years.

If he can found a good training routine to combat injuries - Could be one of the A League signings of the season IMO.

JA came to us in a similar position in S1 - Sure he did not play all the games, but we all know that legend had an impact when it counted.

It's going to be an exciting season, we've replaced our depth to the point where we could now claim the best defence in the A-League. The players have also been chosen for their flexibility to adapt to various roles, Garcia could play defensive mid or wing depending on the opposition and injury situation at the time.

• Like 1

It's going to be an exciting season, we've replaced our depth to the point where we could now claim the best defence in the A-League. The players have also been chosen for their flexibility to adapt to various roles, Garcia could play defensive mid or wing depending on the opposition and injury situation at the time.

Totally agree Ticker. There seems to be a lot more versatility in the side, with room for flexibility depending on our opponents. Also makes me think about the possibility of different formations (or variations thereof) for different opponents as well. Looking forward to Epping next week.

The left wing positon has been declared a problem area but we now have at least Gol Gol, Garcia, Germano, Behich and Williams who can play in that postition.

Central mid is looking strong with Garcia and Germano also able to fit in there along with Fred, Thompson, Gerhardt, Kalmar and Hoffman.

At the back we have Gerhardt, Colosimo, Gray, Behich, Marrone, Gray, Vrankovic and Thompson.

Up front there is Williams, Tadic, Mate, Macallister, Gol Gol and Hoffman to choose from.

Richard Garcia gives us flexibility as well as depth. Our squad (and I know I`ve doubled up on a number of names) allows for a number of options. I hope they stay fit and are well used.

If anything I wonder if we have left ourselves a bit short down the right side?