Melbourne Football

Friday October 5 - 7.30pm Melbourne FC vs. Visitors

Jimmy

Not saying Thompson is a bad player and not saying that either Kalmar or Thompson offer more but you can't deny that Thompson hasn't really been as influential since his injury.

Well the guy is a proven A League and Derby performer and has had a lot of time to get over this injury.

Kalmar on the other hand come on of the bench at the start of last season and in our last game of last season, and despite starting well in S1 faded immensely in the second half of the season.

Edited by cadete

I'm sorry but what is this opinion based on?

The games! Thomspon is so static in midfield. Doesn't come to the ball and his passing has been really poor.. He looked better as the spare man in a back three.. The lack of movement of the midfielders was one of the biggest problems last season and haven't seen any improvement so far in the preseason either..

Kalmar at least looks like he wants the ball when he plays and his passing is generally good. Thompson is capable of being better so just saying that he needs to step up.

I'm sorry but what is this opinion based on?

he's not the only one who has preferred kalmar over thompson, you and i have discussed it a couple of months ago iirc. It's not that thompson is a bad player, he has just been terribly out of form and can't seem to do anything right. Although i'd still have him start tonight seeing as JA is most likely to play Garcia next to Fred in the midfield, only because thompson offers more defensively which we will miss with Germano out.

Thompson showed some good form in the middle of last season, and he's had a long off-season to get his body right and get into form, so i'm feeling optimistic that he'll have a good game tonight. Having said that, if an experienced professional who is a "proven a-league" and "derby" performer as you said, is unable to be playing well consistently, which is what we should expect of the experienced players, then i see no reason to have him taking up a starting 11 spot. Especially when some of the younger players, such as kalmar, are eagerly waiting to get their opportunity and prove a point. He's had all this time since his bad form and injury last season, so there's no excuses for thompson not to play well tonight.

It's not that thompson is a bad player, he has just been terribly out of form and can't seem to do anything right.

im confused...

out of form? we havent even played round 1 yet! How can someone be out of form, let alone IN form before the first whistle of the season is blown!?

Pre season form doesnt count for anything, ask the Hoff.

IMO the key for us tonight will be williams and thompsons performances. MV's right side is their weakest, and if williams rips it up down that left wing with behich, we'll find ourselves in a very good position. Thompson also needs to step up and take control of that central midfield are

I also think we'll run the game out better than MV, and even if the scores are level around the 60th minute, Tadic will come on and will have more space on the ground to work with and should be able to punish them.

Sat on level 3 opp the heart bay. We could easily have taken the locket end.

Everyone knew when you guys in the heart bay arrived. It was such a swarm of red and white.

I knew we were on a good thing when we won that stupid Hyundai blow up game.

Williams is back!

Is it just me or have the north end supporters lost numbers. They are no where near as strong in numbers as a few years ago.

From where I was the numbers were 4 to1 victory.

We are there in numbers, but not as visually vocal as victory supporters. 10k heart are good numbers.

If I lifted my arms out right now I could probably flap them and fly.

I am very proud of the boys tonight.

That performance was what we missed IMO opinion in the first two seasons. We had 11 players out there playing for the shirt and working well together and working off each other. We didn't have a single weak player out there tonight.

What I love about this result is that it shows us that being 'sexy' and popular doesn't win you football games. It was fantastic.

Dylan Mccalister. Now I'll admit I thought this guy was a fat, slow and lazy footballer who was on his last professional contract. Tonight he proved me and I think many else wrong. His running, chasing (he chased down Traore early in the first half) and his aerial prowess impressed me. He pretty much tore Leijer and Milligan holes were they didn't know they had them.

Williams is another, mind you his finishing meant he didn't have a hat-trick but he still scored. Another player who looks to be rejuvenated. Mind you I reckon it is to do with the fact he has grown the hair back. He played like he was playing at the Fury in their first year. It was fantastic.

Dugandzic was very solid as well tonight I thought, picked up where he left off from last year.

Fred was fantastic, he pretty much curbed Flores' influence as well as stamping his authority on the game. His beautiful ball set up that first goal to Williams. Thompson also was solid as well, he ran his guts out and was like the Matty Thompson of old, it was great to see. Richard Garcia was very good in the first half, he really helped set up the second goal. I just thought he ran out of legs a bit in the second half, but he, Thompson and Fred pretty much pulled all the strings in midfield, it was a sight to behold.

I love Gerhardt, he is just what I love in centre-back and he just loves going in at 100% and crunching blokes, it's great to see a bloke with such mongrel. Colosimo as well was very good as well back to the form he was in at Sydney FC a few years ago. Marrone and Behich were also very solid and contained their wingers quite well, even though Rojas got the better of Marrone a couple of times unfortunately, but that was a rarity.

Bolton was also solid when required upon, which was extremely good to see seeing he is 37. Looks like he can go for a couple of years still.

Lets savour this win, bloody great win and great atmosphere, was standing up the back of the Yarraside area and I thought the chanting was fantastic and a game that is up there with the best of them!

MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE

• Like 4