Melbourne Football

International Footballing Experiences

Hellenic Hero

52 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Not sure if thread already, mods delete if so.

I've been to a Panathanikos game and am heading to a Partizan game as part of the school exchange trip, but I'm sure you lads have been to plenty more.

If against zvezda good luck.😀

Try and get to the cafes/restaurants along the river in the old city. Top food and super cheap.

Went to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa as a 14 year old. Experienced everything from being on TV, getting soaked in Beer (without a washing sink/machine for a week), watching Ghana lose to Uruguay in a hut with 10+ angry Africans, saw a guy shit out the window of our "tour truck", and almost getting abducted/robbed a dozen times. It was overall a pretty fun experience.

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If against zvezda good luck.😀

Try and get to the cafes/restaurants along the river in the old city. Top food and super cheap.

Haha unfortunately it's not mate, want to get to a Belgrade derby one day! 

Thanks for the tips though, I've passed them on to my teacher....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baka1 said:

How exactly do you get tickets to the big premier league/Bundesliga games? And aren't they generally very expensive even on top tiers?

West Ham was easy, for Arsenal I only got a ticket through my wifes uncles colleague who is a member and couldnt go. 

Not football but rugby league (hey football when I grew up)

Mendi Muruks vs Wabag Mioks in Minj, Western Highlands, PNG (no home games in the PNG highlands) Posted about it somewhere before. Wild experience. Only white man in the ground. Fortunately it pissed down during the match which meant although I was soaked to the bone the crowd stayed calm enough to avoid the use of tear gas.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

You mentioned it, now I'll ask you to give us a run down on your most memorable one

Sitting in a van with a Vuvuzela, both the driver and my dad were getting money out at an atm. A guy leans in my window and ask if he can have a blow on the Vuvuzela, after I declined he grabbed my wrist and tried to yank it through the window.

Honestly over there (particularly Soweto) , it's like being in a Mario game with the ghosts. When you arnt looking they get closer, the moment you turn around and make eye contact, they'll suddenly walk the opposite way.

• Like 2

was in China a few years back saw Shanghai Shenhua host Beijing Guoan a few years back.  loved it; 10k people in a 40k+ stadium that felt like closer 25k noise wise.  winning 3-1 helped.

plus you could walk into the stadium with bags full of your own beers, etc. mind you, there was a fuck load of people around openly smoking in the stadium, but certainly worth the experience.

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

was in China a few years back saw Shanghai Shenhua host Beijing Guoan a few years back.  loved it; 10k people in a 40k+ stadium that felt like closer 25k noise wise.  winning 3-1 helped.

plus you could walk into the stadium with bags full of your own beers, etc. mind you, there was a fuck load of people around openly smoking in the stadium, but certainly worth the experience.

Do they have ultras in China?

Not many, but attended the Euros this year in France.

First game i attended was Northern Ireland v Ukraine in Lyon at the new stadium. Beautiful stadium and a terrific spot to watch football. The town square about 6 hours before the game was absolutely chockers with the Irish and the craic was terrific. Being their first major tournament in yonks they were super excited. The game itself wasnt particularly memorable other than the fact it was hot as fuck at kickoff and mid game there was a massive hailstorm that ended up seeing the game halted for 5 minutes or so. NI won 2-0.

Second game i went to was Croatia v Czech Republic in St Etienne and was one of the more notorious games of the tournament due to the game getting stopped around the 85th minute mark due to a massive flare storm, which apparently was something to do with a protest against Croatian football corruption. Pre-game was humming, different vibe to the Lyon game but just as enjoyable. Very friendly from both sides, lots more flares etc.
The game was really good to watch for the first hour, Croatia were playing some terrific stuff and led 2-0, but looked every bit a side that could go on and win the lot. Rosicky (I think) pulled one back around the 75th completely against the flow and then around the 82nd or so the riot police out of nowhere lined up in front of the Croatian end. The mood changed instantly and within 2 minutes there was a storm of flares, maybe 20 or so thrown on to the pitch at once and the game was stopped. The Croats began in-fighting as it was clearly not good for them and big Croat on Croat fights broke out in the end. The Croatian players had to come down to the end to plead with the fans to stop and calm down. It took about 5 minutes for the cops to get order restored and boot out the perpetrators and all the flares to be put out.  
When the game restarted the Croatians were clearly in shock and went on to completely bottle it and draw 2-2. It certainly felt like they were lucky to even get that in the end given how absent they were for the 10 mins after the restart. Very memorable game, in an old stadium with plenty of charm.

• Like 2