Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

On 28 October 2015 at 8:47:38 PM, jw1739 said:

There is no proof, because it simply isn't true. Peter Sidwell is on record as saying - IIRC on or about the time of the sale to the new owners - that the members of the Heart syndicate were, collectively, extremely wealthy and had the resources to fund Melbourne Heart indefinitely (or words of the same meaning).

I think the question is more whether the syndicate would ever have been prepared to put in the money required to establish an HQ and training facilities such as we have now, finance  marquee players, and employ the backroom staff that we have now. And, of course, they would not have been able to draw on the expertise of the rest of the CFG as we can now.

IMO the Heart syndicate sold the club because they are businessmen and made a profit, and they sold to Manchester City because City shared their values, or many of them, concerning the sort of club they had set out to establish. It's worth remembering that at least one prior approach to buy Heart was rejected by the syndicate. We tend to focus on things such as colours, but in reality Melbourne City has carried on Heart's work with youngsters, youth, and the community.

The members of the Heart syndicate are life members of Melbourne City. I don't think they would be so if they did not have a genuine interest in the club and its future.

if they had "the resources to fund Melbourne Heart indefinitely" i'm struggling to think of the rational behind not having enough cash in the bank to pay wages on time.

13 hours ago, hyperfuzz said:

if they had "the resources to fund Melbourne Heart indefinitely" i'm struggling to think of the rational behind not having enough cash in the bank to pay wages on time.

Where do you get information that Heart failed to pay wages on time?

Invests £1bn (USD1.5bn) into CFG. 

CFG now valued at USD3bn according to this transaction. 

Doubled his money. The sheik don't play.

In case it wasn't obvious (and apparently it wasn't since others as well as myself have had to repeat it about 1000 times), this is all business and not some rich sheik throwing around his money. Hence why you will not see extravagant spending on Melbourne City when potential returns don't justify it (while you will in Manchester and to a lesser extent New York). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

".....understanding they need to soften the commercial zeal by nurturing, not ripping off, local sentiment".

A very change in approach if it's to be believed. I wonder will this sentiment trickle down to our club one day? 

You´d be amazed on how popular the rebranding have been with some stakeholders.. And it´s also telling that Soriano mentions that rebranding a club in South-America or Europe that have the crucial 4 generations support is very hard and just possible if you literary drag it up from the very bottom because such a club got deep roots, meaning I take it that he regards more recent clubs as "moldable".

2 hours ago, M13 said:

You´d be amazed on how popular the rebranding have been with some stakeholders.. And it´s also telling that Soriano mentions that rebranding a club in South-America or Europe that have the crucial 4 generations support is very hard and just possible if you literary drag it up from the very bottom because such a club got deep roots, meaning I take it that he regards more recent clubs as "moldable".

Heart/city may be very "moldable" as there are no generations of support behind it. 

However Cfg doesn't seem to understand the sporting landscape in this country  

In Europe all you need is lots of money to make it a success as people already love football 

here you not only have 2 embedded codes that seem to happily coexist with each other (afl, rugby) you also have serious hatred for lack of better word towards the round ball  

If you ignore those few supporters who bleed for the game, you may as well take you money and try another market  

4 hours ago, M13 said:

This is something they haven't picked up on for Australia, although soccer clubs and colours haven't been around for 4 generations, NSW being sky blue has in every sport. It is just as ingrained in our minds as a 4th generation club would be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deeming said:

This is something they haven't picked up on for Australia, although soccer clubs and colours haven't been around for 4 generations, NSW being sky blue has in every sport. It is just as ingrained in our minds as a 4th generation club would be.

NSW = sky blue since 1857.

I suspect it was just plain dumb luck that led to them buying a Victorian club rather than a Queensland club. 

If they'd tried to make Brisbane sky blue they would have been lucky to not start a riot, and as for members if they got to 3 figures I'd be surprised.

9 hours ago, M13 said:

I probably would be amazed and would like to know who they are. I don't have any problem myself with most aspects of the re-branding - the badge and the name are immediately identifiable as Melbourne. I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and in due course I'm going to post on City Voice about it, and IMO where they want to be careful is that "brand" doesn't become "bland." My view is that the more the clubs in City Football Group are homogenised, then the less identifiable they become, and the less relevant they become to the people who live where the club is situated. Of course, that will not happen to the parent club in Manchester, because of the 100-y-o tradition sitting behind it, but IMO it will happen, and in the case of Melbourne City possibly already is.

At the moment, City Football Group seems determined to get as much sky-blue on the club kits as possible. I'm not personally against sky-blue (as long as it's the real sky-blue, because the present shade is not that at all) because I understand why they want it on the jersey, and as an immigrant do not immediately associate light blue as NSW. For me, though, the lost opportunity is to make the kits of the sister (or daughter) clubs consistent and immediately identifiable as "a CFG club kit", whilst maintaining individuality, history and heritage, and leaving the mother club - Manchester - with its own. Our present kit, with the wide sky stripe but with a narrow red stripe would be ours, on the New York City kit the jersey would have the same wide sky stripe but the narrow stripe would be orange (representing New Amsterdam) and so on and so forth for additional clubs. Add to each a bit of collar/cuff trim in the relevant colour etc. etc. and you have a kit unique to CFG, but each club within CFG immediately recognisable because of its design.

That is the compromise that I would be pushing to CFG.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I probably would be amazed and would like to know who they are. I don't have any problem myself with most aspects of the re-branding - the badge and the name are immediately identifiable as Melbourne. I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and in due course I'm going to post on City Voice about it, and IMO where they want to be careful is that "brand" doesn't become "bland." My view is that the more the clubs in City Football Group are homogenised, then the less identifiable they become, and the less relevant they become to the people who live where the club is situated. Of course, that will not happen to the parent club in Manchester, because of the 100-y-o tradition sitting behind it, but IMO it will happen, and in the case of Melbourne City possibly already is.

At the moment, City Football Group seems determined to get as much sky-blue on the club kits as possible. I'm not personally against sky-blue (as long as it's the real sky-blue, because the present shade is not that at all) because I understand why they want it on the jersey, and as an immigrant do not immediately associate light blue as NSW. For me, though, the lost opportunity is to make the kits of the sister (or daughter) clubs consistent and immediately identifiable as "a CFG club kit", whilst maintaining individuality, history and heritage, and leaving the mother club - Manchester - with its own. Our present kit, with the wide sky stripe but with a narrow red stripe would be ours, on the New York City kit the jersey would have the same wide sky stripe but the narrow stripe would be orange (representing New Amsterdam) and so on and so forth for additional clubs. Add to each a bit of collar/cuff trim in the relevant colour etc. etc. and you have a kit unique to CFG, but each club within CFG immediately recognisable because of its design.

That is the compromise that I would be pushing to CFG.

Oh, the sponsors for one group of stakeholders.. definitely.
As for colours the CFG logo itself is Sky blue, Navy blue and White for now, we´ll see if the proposed changes to the Manchester City badge may give us a hint about colours for the future.
Myself I tend to buy maroon shirts/scarfs etc so I hope that the club moves in that direction again

c3c7c18a427b4439ab15b4c68c2f022e.jpg

1 hour ago, M13 said:

Oh, the sponsors for one group of stakeholders.. definitely.
As for colours the CFG logo itself is Sky blue, Navy blue and White for now, we´ll see if the proposed changes to the Manchester City badge may give us a hint about colours for the future.
Myself I tend to buy maroon shirts/scarfs etc so I hope that the club moves in that direction again

c3c7c18a427b4439ab15b4c68c2f022e.jpg

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes Maroon does sit a bit better with me than sky blue.

(Queensland have played in Maroon since at least 1882, not bad seeing the state/colony wasn't split from our "friends" in NSW until 1859.)

Edited by Shahanga