Melbourne Football

Travel.... Interstate and Overseas.

HeartinHobart

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I jump on once every few hours at work and work top down.

Cairns is a shit hole would go to Port Douglas if you're thinking FNQ.

Yeah the surrounds of that area (daintrees, barrier reef) are amazing. Didn't think too highly of port Douglas  as its pretty expensive and hard to get around but you're right that it's 1000x better than cairns. 

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

You're quick, post was up for like a minute before I deleted it (need to book somewhere today as the dates I want to go are in like a week and didn't think anyone would respond).

I was thinking Tasmania but cbf renting a car, I'll do Tasmania once I'm 25 and the whole renting a car thing is less hassle/expensive.

Apart from that, based purely on flight prices, Coffs Harbour, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, and Cairns look like options. Never been to any of those.

Personally I'd recommend Tassie November thru February as the weather / temperature can get quite shitty and all over the place any other time of the year.

As it is I'm actually off to Perth next weekend for the away game, and having been there in the past around this time off year it's actually quite decent.

Other places for this time of year includes Adelaide, Port Douglas and most places along the Murray (particularly if you get into fishing / house boats)

Edited by mattyh001

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Personally I'd recommend Tassie November thru February as the weather / temperature can get quite shitty and all over the place any other time of the year.

As it is I'm actually off to Perth next weekend for the away game, and having been there in the past around this time off year it's actually quite decent.

Other places for this time of year includes Adelaide, Port Douglas and most places along the Murray (particularly if you get into fishing / house boats)

Clubba with Bearded Heart?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Nate said:

not interstate, but what are some must-see towns/places/trails/things to visit along the Great Ocean Road? 

gonna go for a cheeky few days off in the coming week.

If you're a bit of a foody you can go from the 12 apostles to Gorge chocolates, to apostle whey cheese, to Timboon Cheese, to the Timboon distillery. Plenty of great chocolate, cheese, whiskey, ice cream and food between them.

If you surf Peterborough is the best where I live.

Otways are cool like thisphantomfortress said.

Wye River and Apollo Bay are probably my favorite places futher up the road but I haven't been through Wye since the fires.

5 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

@Jimmy is a local.

im a big fan of the ottway fly if you're into bush walking. 12 apostles is a given too

I actually got a voucher to do the zipline at Otway Fly so I figured I'd extend it into a mini holiday to make the most out of it haha, bit keen.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If you're a bit of a foody you can go from the 12 apostles to Gorge chocolates, to apostle whey cheese, to Timboon Cheese, to the Timboon distillery. Plenty of great chocolate, cheese, whiskey, ice cream and food between them.

If you surf Peterborough is the best where I live.

Otways are cool like thisphantomfortress said.

Wye River and Apollo Bay are probably my favorite places futher up the road but I haven't been through Wye since the fires.

I'm not really a foody (at least anymore) and I don't surf but I'm super into scenic shit, so I guess I'll be looking for pretty beach and forest trails to walk,

I'm staying at Apollo Bay fwiw

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

I'm not really a foody (at least anymore) and I don't surf but I'm super into scenic shit, so I guess I'll be looking for pretty beach and forest trails to walk,

I'm staying at Apollo Bay fwiw

Never really done the hikes,(but I'd like to do some one day), so can't recommend any but they're fucking everywhere so you'll have no shortage of choice.

The 12 Apostles are 10/10 for scenic value. You'd have seen them a million times on promotional shit, but when you're actually stood in front of them they're pretty amazing. My parents place is only a 10 minute drive from them but I'm still not sick of them, I go for a look every 12 months or so.

A hidden scenic gem is the Hopkins falls. It's a bit of a trek inland from the 12 Apostles (probs 40-60 minute drive), but it's cool.

On 10 July 2016 at 5:35 PM, Nate said:

not interstate, but what are some must-see towns/places/trails/things to visit along the Great Ocean Road? 

gonna go for a cheeky few days off in the coming week.

Cheeky? I don't get it

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

1. Anyone been to Pakistan?

2. Do I win this dick measuring contest of a thread if I go to such an exotic and (supposedly) dangerous location?

We went to India c. 5 years ago, an organised trip up the Hooghly River by riverboat from Calcutta to Jangipur. There was a side day excursion by car from Jangipur to the Bangladesh border visiting a few temples etc. etc. - Indian driver, multi-lingual Indian guide, and ourselves as passengers. Our car was attacked twice, once by a mob in a village, and on the way back by a drunk wielding a knife.
Would not contemplate going to this part of the world again unless in a well-organised and reasonable-sized group.
Shame really because some of the places in areas such as the Punjab and Kashmir - the old British hill stations and cantonments etc. - are spectacular.

• Like 1

I've been to India back packing. We were tempted to go to Pakistan but visas were a bitch because we didn't organise it in advance so it got thrown in the too hard basket.

following on from JWs story we ended up in a siege of a mosque in Lucknow, I was stonned as fuck and suddenly being hearded out by military with some big guns and tear gas. When we asked later on the locals all just laughed it off as "just election troubles"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Heading to Phuket in a couple of months for a cheap week away. Any recommendations on what to do there apart from getting my drink spiked at a nightclub and being shot for possession of drugs?

Apparently the surf is terrific for boogie boarding over there.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:34 PM, GreenSeater said:

Heading to Phuket in a couple of months for a cheap week away. Any recommendations on what to do there apart from getting my drink spiked at a nightclub and being shot for possession of drugs?

They aren't in Phuket but Koh Phi Phi & Khao Sok National Park are my recommendations if you can get out there. We did a pretty full on Vietnam War style trek in the national park in the rain through rivers with leaches and all which was fun. 

Edited by hedaik

Ol sheepy here is off to LA for ten days Oct/Nov with my older brother who is complete opposite of me. Hardly drinks, doesn't smoke anything, a square I guess you could say. 'Dis gon be good! 

Obviously Vegas will be blessed with the sheepdogs presence and I will be getting so legally stoned it's not funny but other than that, I'm rather short of ideas.

NBA schedule came out today so will catch a clippers game hopefully, was thinking maybe heading to Yosemite? Any body been? 

Looked into flying to NY but it's a day travel each way and cheapest fares are close to $400.

I'm not really into Hollywood or Venice beach type stuff and while I would obviously love to see Compton, it doesn't really sit right with me to get my tourist on where there are people living in real poverty, plus the danger side of things with the election occurring the day we leave.

Anyone with ideas?

Cheers in advance. 

3 hours ago, sheepdog said:

would obviously love to see Compton, it doesn't really sit right with me to get my tourist on where there are people living in real poverty, plus the danger side of things with the election occurring the day we leave.

Anyone with ideas?

Cheers in advance. 

Hire a BMW and play plenty of Tim Dog and you'll be fine 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, haz said:

Heading to Stuttgart early next year for an internship, anyone been and/or lived there? Anything to do?

I lived in Munster for a few months in early 2013, it is a bit further north but still West. Germany is the tits. The beer is cheap, the women are great and they love to party. 

The football is cheap to attend so I would recommend that. Trains are a bit expensive but their super reliable so weekend trips to Munich and Dortmund wouldn't be hard. It's also easy to get to France and Italy. You'll have a blast

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I lived in Munster for a few months in early 2013, it is a bit further north but still West. Germany is the tits. The beer is cheap, the women are great and they love to party. 

The football is cheap to attend so I would recommend that. Trains are a bit expensive but their super reliable so weekend trips to Munich and Dortmund wouldn't be hard. It's also easy to get to France and Italy. You'll have a blast

Cheers, I'm keen on going across to Switzerland or France on the weekend if I find the time.

On 12/08/2016 at 6:29 PM, sheepdog said:

I would obviously love to see Compton, it doesn't really sit right with me to get my tourist on where there are people living in real poverty

I was talking about this with someone a while ago. Is compton still properly ghetto or has it been taken over by hipsters like Brooklyn? If it has not been gentrified yet i want to buy a house there because surely one day its going to be full of white djs from middle class backgrounds with an encyclopedic knowledge of g-funk 

• Like 1

Afaik, it's still pretty bad. Lets remember that Compton is only one suburb of south central LA. Compton itself might be a little bit more gentrified than say Watts or Imperial Gardens but I aint going to be a fuckhead and wave a red bandana in front of a group of crips.

Also with the heightened racial tensions at the moment, I get the feeling that my visit will coincide with a rather dark moment in the country's history.

I also give you props for your knowledge of g-funk.

38 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

Afaik, it's still pretty bad. Lets remember that Compton is only one suburb of south central LA. Compton itself might be a little bit more gentrified than say Watts or Imperial Gardens but I aint going to be a fuckhead and wave a red bandana in front of a group of crips.

Also with the heightened racial tensions at the moment, I get the feeling that my visit will coincide with a rather dark moment in the country's history.

I also give you props for your knowledge of g-funk.

As long as you don't have to use your ak, it's a good day in Compton

1 hour ago, sheepdog said:

Absolutely fair enough. You would have to be insane to wear colours and walk around flexing even (particularly) as a joke. 

I have neve been to the US, I just wonder how long it will be until people hipsters start moving there loke they did with all the poor areas in NY and it becomes full of organic fruit shops and stuff. Surely it will happen eventually.

The racial tension aspect of it could get very nasty too particularly if there is another highly publicized incident with poluce but its good to know you are thinking about that type of thing. Cant see another rodney king riot situation happening again but could still be very dangerous if you're careless

I beg to differ regarding how you CAN'T see another king type riot happening.

The majority of African American people living in ghettos have already reached tipping point with their anger at the police force.

There is a REAL danger of a highly controversial presidential candidate being voted in to office.

Im honestly suprised that there hasn't been more violent demonstrations and reactions to the police brutality.

The impending election is a massive event that could quite possibly provoke a massive statement from the people.

* I ain't gonna talk any of this shit to anyone over there. 

16 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Ive done a couple of trips to Germany, memory is hazy but most people speak English and I dont remember having any issues there with language.

Yeh the Germans take pride in the quality of their English generally speaking. Think it makes them feel better about the French.