Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

When you think of the hawks who didn't play on the weekend you realise how scary their depth is.

Inside mids: O'Rourke went no. 3 in the draft a few years back, Woodward won the liston last year, Simpkin is a premiership player.

Outside Mids: Hartung beat Brad Hill's beep test at the draft camp and is a goalkicking wingman, has a lot of talent but needs to improve his hardness. Sicily is another outside player who has a lot of tricks, will get a taste of senior footy this year.

Talls: O'Brien probably the most talented tall not in the seniors, Litherland looked like an afl standard defender last year, Shoenmakers could play the odd game up forward if required, Spangher is a premiership player.

Rucks: Hale (say no more)

All these players bar maybe Simpkin will play senior footy this year when guys like Lake, Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Roughead, Birchall & Rioli are rested.

Hawks supporter?

Its obviously still a very valid point about the strength of a side when PPL go through the top team like above and list the qualities of the players not playing.

When it is done on the radio usually commentators end the discussion by saying the word "Scary".

However, the funny thing is that often when these players go elsewhere they end up being nowhere near as good without the stars or more importantly the particular environment around them anymore. I think Brett Primal is the most cited example from the Good Geelong sides as he would have played in the 2008 GF barring injury.

(In fact their were a few from the late 80's Hawks sides who did likewise when they moved to other clubs.)

Often some players dont even need to leave a club to drop in performance they just need to feel more secure in selection...

When Varcoe was injured for most of 2012 Cats fans kept pointing to his absence as an excuse for us dropping games because of his 2011 Grand Final.

However, when he returned and his place in the side was secure due to others retiring he stopped doing the things that made him above an average player in his intensity when without the ball, tackling and true gut running and really became one of the worst performers half the time last season.

I really hope a few others at Geelong dont go the same way now that find themselves as more automatic selections compared to in the past.

Edited by cadete

Its ours to lose but look back at the 2014 prelim. Port were done and dusted but they almost pipped us by showing incredible fight. The Hawks were in full panic mode and thats their only weakness imo. Theyre so used to controlling games that if you rattle them they can shit the bed. Who knows if anyone can actually rattle them at the G deep into September though. Im confident we can win it but i felt that way in 2012 too.

Fair call though I'd say the current hawks team would beat the 2012 gf side by 7 goals. Depth then was Savage, Ellis, Shoenmakers...

Hawthorn are hot favourite no doubt, but its far from a done deal.

Use 2008 as a good example of no premiership is ever won until its over.

Look at it this way, there are 6 months to work out how to beat Hawthorn.

I have followed VFL/AFL closely from the 1988 Season until now...

I actually mean that as I knew the whole Cats side as a Six year old and had the whole deck of Footy Cards back in 1988 and I can honestly say that only twice in that time that the team that obviously should have won the flag did not and that was in 1993, 2008... even though there have been a few close ones in that time.

(Of course some would also argue 1999 - But I personally find making such an argument about a Non Grand Finalist a bit of a stretch.)

So that is 2 at most 3 out 26 years where things went the wrong way and largely out of bad luck... so you are looking at a 1 in 13 or at best 1 in 8 chance in something like that happening.

attachicon.gif49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

I agree with you, just saying there's always a chance things can go wrong...

True - Sadly for me I think Port Melbourne's history in Grand Finals from 1983 to 2010 in the VFA/VFL is the best proof of such a fact.

Yep, and probably Hepburn in my local league. Had the best side prob 7 years in a row but only managed four flags.

Not saying you wouldn't take that mind you....

Well interesting enough my side in Perth: East Fremantle have actually won 29 Flags and lost 28 Grand Finals so that probably takes the cake in terms of under achievement even when you take into account how many more flags they have won than the other clubs alongside the fact the club has had a traditionally small and very local supporter base.

Mind you despite hating them as a club I always sort solace as a Geelong kid that I had not be an East Perf kid in the 60's as they lost the following Grand Finals: 1960, 1961 then 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1971 so that was 7 lost Grand Finals in eleven years with four coming consecutively after an earlier period of back to back loses.

This whole period was book ended by flags in 1958, 1959 and then the drought breaker 1972 but the club was by the largest, richest, and most supported in the state (FWIW they almost entered the VFL instead of the WCE). They also went into most of those games as the favorite and they also had a certain Dominant Ruckman play in a number of those teams.One of my mates made and lost the grand final every single year of his 8 years of junior footy, before also making and losing the grand final in both of his first 2 years of seniors! The worst part was that in each of the junior seasons they lost to the same team every single year. No idea how he managed to do it to himself every year until they finally won the flag in his 3rd year of seniors and went back to back last year. Country footy is a crazy thing

Edited by GreenSeater

Hawthorn are hot favourite no doubt, but its far from a done deal.

Use 2008 as a good example of no premiership is ever won until its over.

Look at it this way, there are 6 months to work out how to beat Hawthorn.

I have followed VFL/AFL closely from the 1988 Season until now...

I actually mean that as I knew the whole Cats side as a Six year old and had the whole deck of Footy Cards back in 1988 and I can honestly say that only twice in that time that the team that obviously should have won the flag did not and that was in 1993, 2008... even though there have been a few close ones in that time.

(Of course some would also argue 1999 - But I personally find making such an argument about a Non Grand Finalist a bit of a stretch.)

So that is 2 at most 3 out 26 years where things went the wrong way and largely out of bad luck... so you are looking at a 1 in 13 or at best 1 in 8 chance in something like that happening. attachicon.gif49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

I agree with you, just saying there's always a chance things can go wrong... True - Sadly for me I think Port Melbourne's history in Grand Finals from 1983 to 2010 in the VFA/VFL is the best proof of such a fact. Yep, and probably Hepburn in my local league. Had the best side prob 7 years in a row but only managed four flags.

Not saying you wouldn't take that mind you.... Well interesting enough my side in Perth: East Fremantle have actually won 29 Flags and lost 28 Grand Finals so that probably takes the cake in terms of under achievement even when you take into account how many more flags they have won than the other clubs alongside the fact the club has had a traditionally small and very local supporter base.

Mind you despite hating them as a club I always sort solace as a Geelong kid that I had not be an East Perf kid in the 60's as they lost the following Grand Finals: 1960, 1961 then 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1971 so that was 7 lost Grand Finals in eleven years with four coming consecutively after an earlier period of back to back loses.

This whole period was book ended by flags in 1958, 1959 and then the drought breaker 1972 but the club was by the largest, richest, and most supported in the state (FWIW they almost entered the VFL instead of the WCE). They also went into most of those games as the favorite and they also had a certain Dominant Ruckman play in a number of those teams. One of my mates made and lost the grand final every single year of his 8 years of junior footy, before also making and losing the grand final in both of his first 2 years of seniors! The worst part was that in each of the junior seasons they lost to the same team every single year. No idea how he managed to do it to himself every year until they finally won the flag in his 3rd year of seniors and went back to back last year. Country footy is a crazy thing

The VFL also has a habit of having a way of misrepresenting the Season come finals time... obviously I am biased as a Port fan but its a sad realisation that Port have to be undefeated during an entire an entire season to be good enough to beat off an AFL topped up Grand Final side.

How confident are you this weekend Geelong fans?

Not at all. Would think Freo by 3 to 4 goals. Hope I'm wrong and hope it's a long ride back up the highway for Mr and Mrs Hedaik. :up:

Giving it a miss this weekend unfortunately, Vic membership doesnt cover the Geelong games and trying to save money. Although now thats blown out of the water as I got free tickets to Medallion Club for the pies v cows game in the arvo so will probably spend more on piss by being at that game. 

Expect us to win based on last weeks performances, but the two teams have always lined up well against each other so I don't think we'll have an easy win. 

Edited by hedaik

I think freo's fortunes in 2015 will depend on them banking early wins, then they'll be able to rest McPharlin, Sandi & Pav at least a few times during the year. Still feel like their field kicking will hold them back from being a real premiership threat, they often leave the door open for sides due to skill errors & missed shots on goal.

Have a soft spot for them, always hated the weagles and love watching Ballantyne, Walters, Hill and Fyfe.

I think freo's fortunes in 2015 will depend on them banking early wins, then they'll be able to rest McPharlin, Sandi & Pav at least a few times during the year. Still feel like their field kicking will hold them back from being a real premiership threat, they often leave the door open for sides due to skill errors & missed shots on goal.

Have a soft spot for them, always hated the weagles and love watching Ballantyne, Walters, Hill and Fyfe.

I think our season and future really depends on either Taberner, Apeness or Hannath breaking out and becoming the next key forward as well as finding a replacement for McPharlin. Our midfield and smaller players are all at a good young to mid 20s age. 

I think our season and future really depends on either Taberner, Apeness or Hannath breaking out and becoming the next key forward as well as finding a replacement for McPharlin. Our midfield and smaller players are all at a good young to mid 20s age. 

agree with this.

Juddy proving why he's one of the greatest of all time with that first quarter performance, he's about as old as my nan and still killing it.

Carlton proving why they're the shittest team...

It's true, this game is a carbon copy of last week's game against Richmond. We're too soft, too weak, too many passengers and no creativity. 

Also, Casboult is the biggest shit cunt of all time.

Its these smaller players that will see you beat us by five goals on Sunday... ours very inexperienced and some very prone to error.

In saying that I think the flag has once again passed Freo, ESP when everyone around here considers me an old prick and McPharlin and Pav were a year older than me at their respective schools and Sandi was in my year..

I still remember first seeing him for the first time ever at Leavers (Schoolies) walking through the crowd on Rottnest Island - He said G'day to a mate of mine who played Colts with him and when he left I asked my mate (A good footy judge) if he was AFL quality and my mate said sadly he was a good bloke but he wouldn't make it due to injures and skill issues... well he proved him wrong.

Edited by cadete

The fact he ended up being our only multiple goalkicker is proof of where this club is currently at. 

Is one of the best pack markers in the league but what's the point if you can't kick for shit?

The fact he ended up being our only multiple goalkicker is proof of where this club is currently at. 

Is one of the best pack markers in the league but what's the point if you can't kick for shit?

LOL - So true he reminds me of Mathew McCarthy (Older Brother to John of course - RIP) who played for Geelong in the early 2000's... the bloke could only take marks like Carey's best but kicked pie floaters almost worse than myself.

Nobody could make a set shot goal from five metres directly in front look uglier than that guy they were marvellous to watch as they spiralled around in all directions... I see him spear fishing at Portsea Front from time to time these days.

Edited by cadete

Shame we gotta wait till round 17 to play these piss weak bunch of turd kickers.

Malthouse won't see the season out.

He will make the games coached record and I dont think much else... which is a pity because for a guy who coached two teams I have always had a fair amount of dislike for I have always respected the man himself.

His Eagles sides picked themselves as a state team but he still got Interstate Footy where you needed to travel from on the other side of the country working to win two flags.

He then rebuilt Collingwood twice... earning a flag in the end due to his persistence and the great belief he established with a group that included some pretty out their characters many other coaches would not have been able to coach let alone a whole group of them.

Nobody can take this away from him because those players really did play out of their skins for him and that flag is as much his as anyone who took the field in those two Grand Finals that Season.

At least he can focus now on his Grandkids and being paid to walk around La Trobe.

Edited by cadete

• hedaik locked this topic