Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Don't come back u spanish puto malaka grub

Now now, he's welcome back, its up to JVS and the players to work out how to use him. Not sure that I'd be starting him, I'd use him off the bench

I dont get why some people still want this bloke back in the side.

Was clearly a distraction for the players and if he was at all serious about getting results for this club, than he should of been here at least 3 to 4 weeks before the start of the season and not 3 days before round one.

Let me put a question out there. Say we start really hitting form and going on a good run that pushes us into the top 3 or 4 or we make the finals and ends up being available to play his last 6 games. Would you still want to bring in Villa knowing there is a risk of him unstabling the balance of the side.

My answer is hell no! The only way i'd consider it is if he was like you said, used off the bench. Even then you'd be taking a spot of someone like Marino or Mauk or even Melling. Sorry but ui;'d prefer to develope these blokes than helping Villa get fit for a team i have no love for.

No bloke is bigger than the club for me and if there is any chance of the above happening and it doesnt mean much to him, than i dont want him playing.

I want him back in the side because he's a proven goal scorer. The problem we have is one of integrating him into the side, how to use his runs, who will provide defensive cover if he isn't. This is an issue for the coaching staff and the players just as it is with any other player. The coaching staff and players need to improve this, not avoid taking players like Villa because thinking about how to use him effectively is too difficult. We need to stop being in awe of players like Villa and work out how to use him effectively if we want players like him to want to come and play in the HAL and then recommend the experience to their peers.

• Like 3

I want him back in the side because he's a proven goal scorer. The problem we have is one of integrating him into the side, how to use his runs, who will provide defensive cover if he isn't. This is an issue for the coaching staff and the players just as it is with any other player. The coaching staff and players need to improve this, not avoid taking players like Villa because thinking about how to use him effectively is too difficult. We need to stop being in awe of players like Villa and work out how to use him effectively if we want players like him to want to come and play in the HAL and then recommend the experience to their peers.

But it will be only for 6 more games. How about he come down and work with the squad so the both can get used to each other.

At the end of the day, it takes time to gel. Cant do it overnight and him rocking up a few days before wont help what so ever.

My preference is that he doesnt come back and to be hoenst, the guest player gimmick should be scraped by the A LEague completely

Now now, he's welcome back, its up to JVS and the players to work out how to use him. Not sure that I'd be starting him, I'd use him off the bench

Was clearly a distraction for the players and if he was at all serious about getting results for this club, than he should of been here at least 3 to 4 weeks before the start of the season and not 3 days before round one.

Let me put a question out there. Say we start really hitting form and going on a good run that pushes us into the top 3 or 4 or we make the finals and ends up being available to play his last 6 games. Would you still want to bring in Villa knowing there is a risk of him unstabling the balance of the side.

My answer is hell no! The only way i'd consider it is if he was like you said, used off the bench. Even then you'd be taking a spot of someone like Marino or Mauk or even Melling. Sorry but ui;'d prefer to develope these blokes than helping Villa get fit for a team i have no love for.

No bloke is bigger than the club for me and if there is any chance of the above happening and it doesnt mean much to him, than i dont want him playing.

I can't believe I'm reading this.

Oh, but I forgot. We don't want to be part of CFG. We'd prefer to be left alone in our own little hole, developing four seasons of mediocrity into endless future mediocrity.

I'd have him back, in a heartbeat. What, we wouldn't have beaten Brisbane if Villa had played?

His four games weren't exactly the best, from a team perspective, but he said and did the right things and at least gave the impression that he wanted the club to do well. We didn't get the 7-8 points that we probably expected during that time, but without him - who knows? - we could easily have been on zero.

He seems like a good guy and he's obviously a world-class player. As the rest of the team continues to mesh in his absence, I think it would be much better prepared to utilise him if and when he does return. I'm not banking on it though.

But it will be only for 6 more games. How about he come down and work with the squad so the both can get used to each other.

At the end of the day, it takes time to gel. Cant do it overnight and him rocking up a few days before wont help what so ever.

My preference is that he doesnt come back and to be hoenst, the guest player gimmick should be scraped by the A LEague completely

our last goal came from 3 players new to the club.  I'm sure if Villa was in either Brown or Marino's spots he wouldn't have done worse.

our last goal came from 3 players new to the club.  I'm sure if Villa was in either Brown or Marino's spots he wouldn't have done worse.

Those blokes pretty much have been there since the start of pre season. Not to mention that 2 of those players have been playing in the A League for a few years so are used to this league.Big difference IMO.

What your saying  is that he can just rock up and expect to kill it instantly and for his team mates to gel to his style of play within a handful of days?

Edited by [LIBBA]

the part that I underlined and BOLD is a pretty big if !!!!!

the part that I underlined and BOLD is a pretty big if !!!!!

Not that big an if. Still early days

can understand why people think we are better without him, but ppl slag him off are invalidly doing so IMO. 

He was great for our club and still promotes us using social media even though he's back in NY and clearly cares about the club and the staff and players if you follow him on instagram and twitter, so hats off to him. I'd welcome him back, preferably to play centrally

• Like 3

I'd welcome him back if he signs a 3 year deal with us.

So would I mate.

My beef was the fact that him being here on the short term wouldn't of helped the balance of the team.

That's exactly the problem! 

Instead of everybody asking "how is David Villa going to contribute to Melbourne City?", it was a case of "how long is David Villa going to contribute to Melbourne City?"

Too big a distraction.

• Like 2

I'd welcome him back if he signs a 3 year deal with us.

So would I mate.

My beef was the fact that him being here on the short term wouldn't of helped the balance of the team.

That's exactly the problem!

Instead of everybody asking "how is David Villa going to contribute to Melbourne City?", it was a case of "how long is David Villa going to contribute to Melbourne City?"

Too big a distraction.

Or will he start or won't he or will he actually play this game or that

If we look like playing finals 3 games out I'd have him back in a heart beat, playing him off the bench for the last 20-30, quality is quality... Just my 2 cents..

If this happened, I would lose a lot of respectability in the club, and i feel the A-League itself would loose credibility. The finals shouldn't be a publicity stint. 

Edited by Haydos
  • Like 1

If we look like playing finals 3 games out I'd have him back in a heart beat, playing him off the bench for the last 20-30, quality is quality... Just my 2 cents..

If this happened, I would lose a lot of respectability in the club, and i feel the A-League itself would loose credibility. The finals shouldn't be a publicity stint. 

Quite right "The finals shouldn't be a publicity stint. " they are about winning. As far as losing respect for the club, why?? its every clubs duty to do their utmost to win games/finals/grand finals, he is allowed to play 6 more games as per FFA rules don't see a problem here.

/villa scores goal to win 2015  Grand final for Melbourne City, like to see if your cheering or not....

Edited by MOS

My question, seeing the mood of most of you on here, would be "what is the defining point where a player goes from being a valuable marquee to a distraction?" For instance, I presume none of you would have rejected ADP as a distraction since he did so much good, but he was still a very high profile player in his day. So do you want players who have faded from the limelight already? Or ones who never were in the limelight, internationally speaking? What kind of name right now would you guys view as the perfect marquee/guest?

I seem to recall that Madaschi played for 10 games in season 2 and he was a guest player. That was needed because the team, through injury and international duties had been depleted and immediate replacement was needed. And that was the only time Heart challenged for top spot. So leaving aside the need for a guest player due to necessity, we are left with the concept of a guest player to bolster the club's profile and playing stock. Enter David Villa. The problem was twofold, one that we were led to believe he was coming for 10 matches and we got four (at least so far); and more importantly he joined the team just days prior to the season kicking off - this is totally and utterly unacceptable. If we are to have a high profile, still going strong international marquee or guest player, and being announced early, then I want him to join the team ASAP.

As far as ADP is concerned, no issues there, he was contracted for two seasons - not 10 games.

I don't know much about European football but Melbourne Victory signed former VfB Stuttgart captain Matthieu Delpierre and he has been impressive so far. Koren would probably fit that mould but he is injured so I have no idea what he is going to be like. Last season we had Orlando Engelaar and he helped the team enormously - pity he broke his leg during the pre-season. As CFG said regarding the international marquee - the player may not be known but he will become known.

• Like 1

My question, seeing the mood of most of you on here, would be "what is the defining point where a player goes from being a valuable marquee to a distraction?" For instance, I presume none of you would have rejected ADP as a distraction since he did so much good, but he was still a very high profile player in his day. So do you want players who have faded from the limelight already? Or ones who never were in the limelight, internationally speaking? What kind of name right now would you guys view as the perfect marquee/guest?

Well, there actually has been a long and lively discussion at the start of this season up in Sydney about whether ADP was a 'distraction' or not (that is, whether ADP ultimately did more good than bad). My opinion on that subject is it's unfair to label ADP a distraction, and if his 2 seasons hurt the club more than it helped than that's primarily due to failings of Sydney FC, and not ADP himself. A comparable instance is when Harry Kewell, when he was 32 and fit and firing, joined Melbourne victory in the 2011-12 season as their Australian marquee. victory had a poor season, finished outside the finals, and 2 coaches got sacked. Kewell played pretty well, but victory didn't get the most out of him in a football sense, probably because victory failed to properly integrate Kewell both into the club and into the team (with poor coaching especially not helping).

What both of these signings have in common is that the clubs had a real chance to integrate a star player into their respective teams, for at least 1 season, but they botched it up. They sold lots of jerseys and got their clubs in the media a lot, but the star players ultimately didn't help the teams succeed on the pitch, with the players mainly not being at fault in these instances.

The situation with David Villa is fundamentally different because Villa joined the team less than 1 week before the first match, and he only stayed for 4 matches. If Villa ultimately stayed for 10 matches it could have worked, as the team would ultimately have learnt how to play with Villa, and that would have made up for Villa completely missing pre-season and only being with the team for less than 1 week before his first match. But any stint so short, that's not only less than 1 season, that's not only less than 10 matches, and that's even less than 4 matches with at least some pre-season was always highly likely to be a distraction. I think if Villa showed up 3 or 4 weeks before his 1st match that could have made all the difference, but instead we got Villa on a whirlwind tour with no pre-season and a mere 4 matches. Sadly what Melbourne City had with David Villa is what I would label a 'distraction', because David Villa and the team had no preparation period to learn how to play together, due to Villa having such a short stay at the club, and unsurprisingly things didn't click and work out on the pitch.

What would the ideal marquee look like?

First of all, the debate between players "still with a very high profile" and players who have "faded from the limelight" is a moot one IMO. As long as the player makes a big positive impact on the team, I really don't think many would be fussed if the player had a big profile like ADP or like Villa, or if the player came to Australia with a low profile like Engelaar (who IMO might well have become the best marquee in A-League history if he didn't break his leg, that is if he played the whole season instead of half a season). The profile doesn't matter IMO, and I agree with the Man City official who said Melbourne City need a marquee "who will become a big player", that is who will play very well in the A-League, and whether he has a big name or not before joining the A-League is irrelevant.

Length of time at the club is important. IMO the ideal marquee stays for at least 1 season, and if a player was to join an A-League team for anything less, like 10 games, then they would have to have something extra, like a big profile, because the A-League is now at a point where a player can't make a big, 'marquee' impact if he only stays for 10 games and he doesn't have something extra about him.

Having said the above, the debate above about 'high profile' and 'low profile' is also moot, because I believe with some effort the club could bring in a big name player for at least 1 season. There's no reason why the best of both worlds couldn't occur, where a big player who also stays for at least 1 season and who helps the team significantly on the pitch is signed.

The absolute ideal might have been a Frank Lampard. I think he would have had a big impact on the pitch, and would have had a big impact off it. Still a star, yet perhaps a bit too old to play regularly in top grade European football, but not too old to be real valuable in the A-League.

On the age point it should be made clear now that the time of 38 year olds like ADP and having the on the pitch impact that ADP did is probably over. Koren is easily the oldest marquee in the league at 34, and most marquees are now 31 or younger. So for players to join the A-League in their early to mid 30s, they have to be something special, and fit, which is why Lampard would fit the bill.

But supporters like myself weren't really hopeful that we'd land a Lampard, and our expectations were a notch or so lower and more humble. Yet it is the case that a player like Lampard would be the absolute ideal, and I know he would have been massive in every sense.

A notch down from Lampard, a player like Van der Vaart is probably ideal. Has a CV with some glitzy big clubs on it, is in his early 30s, good fitness record and recently said he just wants to play football regularly and would be prepared to play at a lower level ('the Dutchman also stated that he would be prepared to play in the lower divisions of professional football, if it guaranteed him regular football' http://www.givemesport.com/514065-rafael-van-der-vaart-eyes-italian-job-after-his-contract-at-hamburg-runs-out).I think with some effort the club could lure a player like Van der Vaart to Melbourne City, and that would be a 'realistic' ideal marquee, and if that were to eventuate I believe we'd see just what a massive impact it can make on an A-League club when it really gets its marquee right.

Koren is a little bit below Van der Vaart. I'm still hopeful he'll make a very good impact, and someone keen to play at Melbourne City and who's keen to play for a long-ish period (for a marquee in the A-League), say at least 1 season (2 in Koren's case), is a big positive. Nobody prior to the signing of Koren said a player like Robert Koren would be the 'perfect' or ideal marquee, and frankly he's probably not. Maybe Koren will come very good (I'm still optimistic he'll make a big splash), and maybe he'll become a big player, at least in Australia, but Koren has it all to do, and his injury setback really hasn't helped matters. 

So I'd say supporters are pretty flexible about what they'd be happy with when it comes to marquees. But there are probably two overriding themes that my ramble here identifies as important when it comes to marquees, namely: 1) that they stay around for a respectable amount of time, and 2) that they make a pretty big impact on the pitch (and if they do that, there will be flow-on benefits off the pitch from marquees who make an impression in the A-League).

All up I think the above 2 points explain why A-League supporters have responded to marquees in the way they have. Those 2 points show why even a great player such as David Villa's time in the A-League can be hotly debated (lack of time in the league), and why there's a lengthy discussion going on between Sydneysiders about ADP's stay at Sydney FC (because, ultimately, Sydney FC got no where near silverware during ADP's 2 seasons at the club. Even if it's ultimately more reasonable to blame Sydney FC for that, it's a very legitimate discussion to have IMO).  

Edited by Murfy1

<cutting long reply for brevity>

Thanks, gives me a good understanding of the situation. Thanks for putting the time into that reply.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

<cutting long reply for brevity>

Thanks, gives me a good understanding of the situation. Thanks for putting the time into that reply.

Falastur, have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Those Australians who deny that it does not exist in our culture are kidding themselves.

• Like 2

I see now why he had to go back to the USA. NYCFC had their jersey revealed overnight and he was the star of the show. They have adidas on board.

For the record, they have adidas on board because in MLS the league signs deals with kit manufacturers and every club in the league has to go with who they decide.

Villa: City 'treated me perfectly'

By Iain Strachan

14/11/2014

Reports of the demise in relationship between the South Africa 2010 winner and his temporary club were apparently greatly exaggerated, according to the man himself

Rumours David Villa walked out on Melbourne City have little substance if the player himself is to be believed, with the Spanish superstar hailing his A-League experience.

Former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker Villa was announced as a City guest player to great fanfare earlier this year, only for the World Cup winner to leave Australia after playing just four matches for John van 't Schip's team.

With his body language questionable after successive defeats to end his brief cameo, reports circulated that Villa had opted to accelerate his departure for New York City at short notice, publicly citing family and commercial considerations but alleged to be privately disappointed by the quality of his stay.

However, speaking at a kit unveiling in the United States this week, the 32-year-old talked up the time he spent Down Under.

"It was a great experience and also convenient as I missed competing," he said.

"Training is fine but I missed playing and competing. They (Melbourne City) treated me perfectly. I'm so pleased for that and in sporting terms it was a good opportunity for me."

Asked how he had spent his time in the 'Big Apple' so far, the ex-Valencia man said: "There have been three main things. I've trained a lot, I have been taking English classes to try and get better at the language, and I've been enjoying and getting to know the city with my family."

City though will have to wait for news of Villa's potential return to the A-League in December, with no official word yet on whether or not he will rejoin Melbourne City as mooted by the club.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/11/14/6128461/villa-city-treated-me-perfectly