Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

"every A-League marquee, for example, moved to the A-League on a free transfer."

Folks seem to dismiss the phenomenal riches of our new owners, so we do not need to do what every other A League club has done in the past.

We now have the ability to easily pay transfer fees for our marquees.

It's just a matter of whether our owners choose to go that way in making a big statement of intent with the signing of our new marquees.

Your point is well made that the club is rich enough to do unprecedented things.

I also think that the club shouldn't shirk at forking out money for an international marquee. As the first international marquee of this club's new era, it is arguably the most important marquee the club will sign, so it's pretty important for the club to get it right, and it should spend as much money as it needs to to get it right (maybe not as much as 10 million a season or more, but the vast majority of marquees could probably be signed for half or less than that).

However, the point I was trying to make in the quoted text above was that the players themselves often aren't especially keen to join a club in Australia or America if they've got a year or more left on their respective contracts at European clubs. It's often when marquee players' contracts' run out at their clubs that the players themselves seriously contemplate moves to Australia or America, as seen with Del Piero to Sydney FC, and even David Beckham to LA Galaxy. 

I'm not saying that all marquee players always only join clubs in Australia or America on a free transfer. My point is it's more likely for such out of contract maquee players to move to clubs In America or Australia, though.

Plus people really need to get perspective. They arnt going to spend the same amount of money they paid for the club. We are the bottom rung of the three clubs so we can't expect too much. IMO that's how it should be. The a league is tiny and we are it's smallest club

Plus people really need to get perspective. They arnt going to spend the same amount of money they paid for the club. We are the bottom rung of the three clubs so we can't expect too much. IMO that's how it should be. The a league is tiny and we are it's smallest club

I recall them saying something along the lines that they spending will reflect the league we're in.

A further thought is that CFG may be reluctant to commit big dollars while the matter of our name etc. is unresolved. The trademark "Melbourne Heart FC" is owned by FFA, and is valid until it is up for renewal in 2018. We know that CFG has applied to FFA for some form of variation in identity, but don't know precisely what that variation is for sure (although we can guess). The application to trademark "Melbourne City Football Club" appears to have stalled, for the time being at least.

CFG are keen to establish a global football "brand." They may be less keen to throw the dollars around if FFA and/or others put too many obstacles in their way.

I'd still be confident that with a network of 36 scouts they would have plenty of options for visa players for us, including a visa marquee.

Correct. CFG will spend as much money needed to compete for honors and titles in Australia/Asia. CFG will need to spend far less compared to Europe to achieve this.  Whats important is not the amount of money but what you get for the money. 

Looking at that list, didn't realise seb larson is only 28. Not the big name marquee but would/could be hear for a while but we would probably want a key position player.

Eduardo (Da Silva) for a visa spot? 31 yo and at shaktar in ukraine, would probably want more money though

Report are surfacing that we have offered Xavi a 3 year contract to join NYCFC

If so, then he could be a guest player for you at the beginning of the season.

Yep - can defo see this happening.

He would cringe knowing that our average pass length last season was probably around 60 metres....

He would cringe knowing that our average pass length last season was probably around 60 metres....

To be fair, Xavi could probably hit a target with a 60 metre ground pass.

• Like 2

To be fair, Xavi could probably hit a target with a 60 metre ground pass.

Williams would still manage to miss the goal after receiving one of those wonder passes

• Like 3

My gut feeling is that our marquee players, if any, will be presently based in Europe and will be announced late June/early July and join the squad when we are in Manchester in July.

Well, if it's Xavi, he's currently in training with the Spanish national team, so that one wouldn't be announced until late July at the earliest.

My gut feeling is that our marquee players, if any, will be presently based in Europe and will be announced late June/early July and join the squad when we are in Manchester in July.

You sound like you're ITK

I'm just like the rest of us. A mushroom. Kept in the dark and fed on BS.

• Like 1

Passing mention in the Daily Mail. It could be deduced from context that the club is looking to recruit in Britain:

Australian A League side Perth Glory are showing an interest in former Millwall forward Andy Keogh.

The Republic of Ireland international is a free agent as his contract has ended at the New Den.

The 28-year-old finished the season on loan at Blackpool and scored some important goals against Nottingham Forest and Wigan that helped the Seasiders stay afloat in the Championship.

Perth are looking for a marquee signing to replace striker Shane Smeltz. The 32-year-old New Zealand international who scored against Italy in the last World Cup is leaving for rivals Sydney.

Perth boss Kenny Lowe, formerly a midfielder with Hartlepool and Birmingham, was in Cardiff at the weekend among coaches revalidating their Pro licence badges.

Manchester City are also looking to recruit for their Australian franchise Melbourne Heart with the likes of QPR and LA Galaxy target Frank Lampard already linked with a two year deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639618/West-Ham-offer-Gareth-Barry-big-bucks-bid-pip-Everton-Arsenal-free-agent.html

Edit: the Daily Mail edited their article.

Edited by Murfy1

Chuks Aneke!

He'd star in the A-League though I don't think he is quite worth Marquee status after watching him the past two years at Crewe (Nick Powell for me if we wanted someone like that as a Marquee). He would be worth a look in as a visa player potentially loaned to us through Manchester City as I heard on the Crewe forum that his wages were pretty high. We'd have a lot of competion from Fulham, Charlton and Bournemouth if we were to go after him so unless Manchester City themselves like him as a player of the future it doesn't seem likely.

Chuks Aneke!

He'd star in the A-League though I don't think he is quite worth Marquee status after watching him the past two years at Crewe (Nick Powell for me if we wanted someone like that as a Marquee). He would be worth a look in as a visa player potentially loaned to us through Manchester City as I heard on the Crewe forum that his wages were pretty high. We'd have a lot of competion from Fulham, Charlton and Bournemouth if we were to go after him so unless Manchester City themselves like him as a player of the future it doesn't seem likely.

Didn't want him as a marquee. Saw he is out of contract, would be fun.

Chuks Aneke!

Didn't want him as a marquee. Saw he is out of contract, would be fun. Ah my mistake he would indeed be fun.

Chuks Aneke!

Lol at thinking Nick Powell would come here. The kid is going to be a star.

Chuks Aneke!

Lol at thinking Nick Powell would come here. The kid is going to be a star. Yeah it's pretty wishful thinking one can dream however :P

Chelsea's Ins and Outs says that Schwarzer has been "Released" - has he retired?

He could teach Redders a thing or eight.

as i've repeated a few times, released does not mean they have left the club. it means they are out of contract but have not yet renewed.

whether schwarzer stays depends on courtois/cech.

I thought I heard on the radio last night that Schwarzer has retired.

Chelsea's Ins and Outs says that Schwarzer has been "Released" - has he retired?

He could teach Redders a thing or eight.

as i've repeated a few times, released does not mean they have left the club. it means they are out of contract but have not yet renewed.

whether schwarzer stays depends on courtois/cech.

I thought I heard on the radio last night that Schwarzer has retired.

nothing on the net to back it up - he's retired from NT though if that's what they meant?