Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Football Federation Victoria (FFV) wishes to advise specific match details for the upcoming State Knockout Cup Quarter Final between South Melbourne and Preston Lions at Lakeside Stadium at 7:30pm on Tuesday 23 July. After thorough consultation and collaboration with both clubs and security personnel, tickets will only be made available to members of both clubs and accredited media.

What a shame. May have pulled a decent crowd if the FFV weren't so precious. It's been over 8 years since the 2005 incident and they are still worried that there may be trouble. Surely security could control a few thousand people at most, with a very small percentage of people likely to cause any trouble.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Lakeside to see South vs Dandy purely for a good match...

I first 3 South goals came in around the first 15 minutes,

Then two Dandy goals including a very controversial penalty came in the next ten minutes.

In the second half I saw the biggest howler from the Dandy keeper either to see South go up 4-2.

And then South scored two more in a minute gap to finish 6-2 up.

So overall I chose a pretty good game to watch as an independent spectator.

Yeh I was there too. Bran the new cb and soolsma on theright wing were very impressive. The dandy goalkeeper had a day to forget thats for sure. Used to play for hellas as well.

I noticed Chris Taylor shook the hand of every dandy player and official after copping some rather nasty comments from the dandy supporters.

Fuck it was cold, im glad heart play in summer

• 2 weeks later...

Mazenod United playing today at 3, fighting for promotion  with 3 rounds left.

In.

After securing the Championship in our inaugural year, we're edging closer to promotion and a move into State League 4.

Please come down and support us over the next 3 games as they are all played at HOME! We want to see all MUFC supporters get behind the boys.

THIS SATURDAY - Round 19 – Sat 24th Aug - vs. Boroondara Eagles FC

Round 20 – Sat 31st Aug - vs. Ringwood City FC

Round 21 – Sat 14th Sep – vs. Old Xaverians SC

Reserves kick off at 1pm, Seniors at 3pm.

See you all tomorrow! If results go our way, we could be in second come weekend's end, exciting times ahead, be sure not to miss being a part of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody awful that's for sure.  Let's see where it goes, but it doesn't look good. 

A club bringing out imports who then go on to throw matches?  A new low for football in this country.  I gather the NPL is designed to restrict the presence of imports at this level and based on this story, not a moment too soon!  Incidentally like the cricket scandals it wouldn't surprise me if it was about "spot betting" rather than pure match fixing.  Easier to fix that i reckon and to be blunt I'm buggered if i know why it's legal to bet on it. 

Almost 10 years ago we went for a new start for football with the Crawford Report, I think we are getting ahead but there have been plenty of backward moves along the way and this looks like a doozy.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/football/how-friday-nights-fixed-match-unfolded-20130915-2tswp.html

"There was little in the game that roused the small crowd. Apart from the occasional shout of ''c'mon Southern'' and Richmond's reserves heckling behind the Stars' goal, the small crowd stayed silent. Passing traffic on the Monash Freeway drowned out the occasional shouts of players. An elderly woman with a Richmond scarf sold $2 raffle tickets, and the canteen had a well-stocked bain-marie."

:lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome timing with the croat cup and the original melbourne derby. Should be one of the biggest crowds the vpl has ever seen

I think South fans considered Hellas vs Alexander the OG Melbourne Derby.

yes and no really. the village idiots down at Heidelberg was considered the greek derby where as the knights was the Melbourne derby.

• 2 weeks later...