Melbourne Football

Yarraside Knowledge Bank

AyeCee

What do people see when they close their eyes?

Seriously, do people just see 'darkness' or ?

If I squeeze my eyes shut hard enough I see like this "light" that looks kinda like lightning/electricity. Probably just seeing my veins..

Yeah that's what I get, except I get it always when I close my eyes. Well if I squeeze there is a lot more of it.

It's like the negative of a photo.

Like if you look at a bright light and then close your eyes.

Except I always get it just less.

So that's not normal?

Probably just over sensitive to light.

I am currently undertaking a commerce degree at Federation University in the good ol' Ballarat. I'm also under the belief that only students who started their degree after the HECS fee changes are passed will be subject to the new interest system.

My question is If I was to change universities for next semester (March 2015) but still do the same degree would I then be subject to the new system or not?

I am currently undertaking a commerce degree at Federation University in the good ol' Ballarat. I'm also under the belief that only students who started their degree after the HECS fee changes are passed will be subject to the new interest system.

My question is If I was to change universities for next semester (March 2015) but still do the same degree would I then be subject to the new system or not?

If you want my very honest opinion...

If I was you I would change Universities as I have it from a very good source that your Uni could be going under in the not too distance future.

Edited by cadete

And if I were to be honest, more people at less reputable universities really should consider transferring as Uni marks are looked on favourably in comparison to ATAR scores so it's pretty easy to change to a more reputable university if you have relatively good marks.

Hard to say what things will be like when you graduate, but if you were to graduate right now you're going to need all the help you can get, so a more reputable uni is definitely worth pursuing.

I wouldn't stress about legislation that doesn't look like it's passing any time soon, and I was under the impression it would affect everyone (not really based on anything). Plus it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

fwiw I'm not at Ballarat because of a sub par ATAR. The location just fitted in perfectly with my life at the time.

Would a degree with a HD or D average from Ballarat be looked at that poorly compared to the same degree with the same grades from one of the prestigious Melbourne Universities?

Edited by Jimmy

Sometimes just darkness, sometimes I get some trippy patterns and shit that are usually a shade of red. It depends what I have been doing before bed tho..

Can anyone else realise your in a bad dream and just open your eyes an wake up?

Yeah, been doing that one for years. Except instead of actually opening my eyes I'd just blink, and the reflex would then open my eyes...if that makes sense

Edited by King Malta

fwiw I'm not at Ballarat because of a sub par ATAR. The location just fitted in perfectly with my life at the time.

Would a degree with a HD or D average from Ballarat be looked at that poorly compared to the same degree with the same grades from one of the prestigious Melbourne Universities?

PPL will give you an answer by the reality is that nobody really knows the answer to that question which is why Universities pay so much money to find the answer to that question and other similar questions about how they are perceived.

At the end of the day it all depends on the Individual you are speaking too... but Good Marks are Good Marks so I would not stress too much.

PPL will give you an answer by the reality is that nobody really knows the answer to that question which is why Universities pay so much money to find the answer to that question and other similar questions about how they are perceived.

At the end of the day it all depends on the Individual you are speaking too... but Good Marks are Good Marks so I would not stress too much.

Really, I think it comes down to the person that is hiring.

Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on it if I was hiring someone, even though I did go to Melbourne. Actually, probably because I did go there and know it's not really that special. And because I know people fuck up, shouldn't rule someone out just because they didn't have their shit in order in high school, and so they didnt get into a good uni.

But I know people with very different views, people that actually do have to hire others for fairly decent jobs, that put a very large emphasis on the university you went to. Not so much that it provides a better education (because most of what you learn at university is irrelevant to your job any way), but because it gives an insight into the character of the person (more ambitious? harder working? etc.).

Having said that, in the not so likely situation that you have the same degree, same marks, same sort of previous experience, similar quality resume, similar performance in an interview, and they're looking for something to separate you and someone else, well I think it can only help you to have gone to a more reputable university. However, If you can find a way to distinguish yourself from others and not end up in that situation (eg better experience) then it won't matter.

Edited by Tesla

At the end of the day it all depends on the Individual you are speaking too... but Good Marks are Good Marks so I would not stress too much. Really, I think it comes down to the person that is hiring.

Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on it if I was hiring someone, even though I did go to Melbourne. Actually, probably because I did go there and know it's not really that special. And because I know people fuck up, shouldn't rule someone out just because they didn't have their shit in order in high school, and so they didnt get into a good uni.

But I know people with very different views, people that actually do have to hire others for fairly decent jobs, that put a very large emphasis on the university you went to. Not so much that it provides a better education (because most of what you learn at university is irrelevant to your job any way), but because it gives an insight into the character of the person (more ambitious? harder working? etc.).

Having said that, in the not so likely situation that you have the same degree, same marks, same sort of previous experience, similar quality resume, similar performance in an interview, and they're looking for something to separate you and someone else, well I think it can only help you to have gone to a more reputable university. However, If you can find a way to distinguish yourself from others and not end up in that situation (eg better experience) then it won't matter.

In the accounting industry (especially at larger firms) imo it makes a difference, that being said the biggest influencing factor in getting a good job is knowing someone.

• Like 1

At the end of the day it all depends on the Individual you are speaking too... but Good Marks are Good Marks so I would not stress too much.Really, I think it comes down to the person that is hiring.

Having said that, in the not so likely situation that you have the same degree, same marks, same sort of previous experience, similar quality resume, similar performance in an interview, and they're looking for something to separate you and someone else, well I think it can only help you to have gone to a more reputable university. However, If you can find a way to distinguish yourself from others and not end up in that situation (eg better experience) then it won't matter. In the accounting industry (especially at larger firms) imo it makes a difference, that being said the biggest influencing factor in getting a good job is knowing someone. Definitely. In everything really, not just getting a job. But accounting and finance sectors really so seem to be reliant on personal connections. Not just hiring people, but acquiring clients. For example, 95% of accounting or financial services firms have shit websites, because that's not how they acquire clients, so they have no reason to invest. They rely on reputation, word of mouth, personal connections, etc to grow their client base. You know the industry more than me, does that sound like a reasonable analysis?

Anyway, it really is another advantage of a more reputable university, you're going to meet people who are generally going to be more successful professionally which could help your career down the track.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

At the end of the day it all depends on the Individual you are speaking too... but Good Marks are Good Marks so I would not stress too much. Really, I think it comes down to the person that is hiring.

Having said that, in the not so likely situation that you have the same degree, same marks, same sort of previous experience, similar quality resume, similar performance in an interview, and they're looking for something to separate you and someone else, well I think it can only help you to have gone to a more reputable university. However, If you can find a way to distinguish yourself from others and not end up in that situation (eg better experience) then it won't matter. In the accounting industry (especially at larger firms) imo it makes a difference, that being said the biggest influencing factor in getting a good job is knowing someone. Definitely. In everything really, not just getting a job. But accounting and finance sectors really so seem to be reliant on personal connections. Not just hiring people, but acquiring clients. For example, 95% of accounting or financial services firms have shit websites, because that's not how they acquire clients, so they have no reason to invest. They rely on reputation, word of mouth, personal connections, etc to grow their client base. You know the industry more than me, does that sound like a reasonable analysis?

Anyway, it really is another advantage of a more reputable university, you're going to meet people who are generally going to be more successful professionally which could help your career down the track.

I think you are pretty spot on.  Having a good website will do well to attract smaller clients, but your larger clients do come about largely through connections. That being said some of the smaller clients do turn into larger clients, which is why you don't want to completely ignore potential clients that are smaller.

Just quickly double checking, as a casual employee I don't have to give any notice before quitting right?

I don't care about getting a reference, so not too worried about hurting anyone's feelings. Just wanting to make sure I'll get paid for the previous week of work and that by quitting without notice I don't run into any trouble.

Depending on how much of a prick your boss is, you might wanna wait til the pay goes into your account before you tell them.

Nah, if anything happens just tell these cunts http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ and they'll probably side with you even if you have no evidence or are talking complete BS :up:

Edited by Tesla

Depending on how much of a prick your boss is, you might wanna wait til the pay goes into your account before you tell them.

Nah, if anything happens just tell these cunts http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ and they'll probably side with you even if you have no evidence or are talking complete BS :up:

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. God bless based workers rights.

And to add to that, 30-40% of our clients are Macedonian and they are without doubt the dodgiest, most disorganised cunts I know. Smh when I get a file ending in 'ski'

This is hilarious because of how ridiculously disorganised I am. Already had to get myself out of thousands of dollars of ATO fines, and pretty sure I have more on the way.

say I was fired for not turning up to a shift (sat night), is it legal for the manager to not pay me for the shift before the one I didn't rock up to (fri night)?

If not, how can I go about getting paiiiid?

No. Not legal at all. They cannot withhold any money for time you have worked (unless it's to pay for something you damaged, etc)

Contact fair work Australia. They should be able to sort it out fairly quickly

say I was fired for not turning up to a shift (sat night), is it legal for the manager to not pay me for the shift before the one I didn't rock up to (fri night)?

If not, how can I go about getting paiiiid?

No. Not legal at all. They cannot withhold any money for time you have worked (unless it's to pay for something you damaged, etc)

Contact fair work Australia. They should be able to sort it out fairly quickly

Pretty sure they also provide advice, might be a better source of information than this forum.

But basically everything is heavily stacked in favour of the employee (left wing country etc.) so pretty much anything that doesn't seem fair, hit up fair work.