Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

• 1 month later...

Eli Babalj: Why I love Melbourne Heart

• by: Eli Babalj
  • December 20, 201212:00AM

[url="http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/eli-babalj-why-i-love-melbourne-heart/story-e6frfg8x-1226540704139#"]

702275-eli-babalj.jpg

Melbourne Heart product Eli Babalj at Southgate. Picture: Tony Gough Source: Herald Sun

IT hasn't been easy for young players to break into the A-League and I have no doubt I joined the right club back in 2010.

Melbourne Heart vowed to give youngsters a chance and it stuck to its word.

Had I been at a different club, I'm not sure I would have represented the Socceroos yet.

I got a chance to play seniors at 18 and it helped me progress more quickly.

Melbourne Heart was my first professional club and being there from the club's first training session is something that will stick with me forever.

As a start-up club, you can create your own culture and, despite the challenges faced by the club from day one, everything was done professionally, led by football manager John Didulica.

As a young player, being guided by John van't Schip and Ante Milicic and then surrounded by Josip Skoko, Gerald Sibon and John Aloisi in the changeroom had a huge effect on me and gave me an understanding of what was required to make it overseas.

It was the same for Aziz Behich, Brendan Hamill and Curtis Good, who came a year later.

I don't think it was a coincidence the last Socceroos camp in Hong Kong had three current Heart players and one former one. My good mate Aziz was my roommate and we spent most of the time reminiscing about our great times together at the club.

Aziz, Michael Marrone and I regard ourselves as Heart products, while Richard Garcia has returned to the national team just a few months after signing for Heart.

I'm sure future Socceroos squads will include more Heart boys, with Curtis and Brendan likely to be called up sooner rather than later.

And the club can be proud because they gave us the chance to play, which was an important stepping stone to international football.

- with David Davutovic

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure how to explain current situation to you, but I'll do my best...

Serbian web portal www.mondo.rs has discovered some details about Eli's contract. As I already said earlier, Red Star agreed to sign Babalj for 350 000 euros. We paid you 200 000 euros in August (or late September, I'm not sure) and remaining 150 000 should have been paid in January. 18th seems to be the deadline.

But, if Red Star fail to pay that amount, your club can re-sign him. So...you could get a massive boost in your team.

If Red Star decide to keep him (not likely, as our coach didn't invite him to mid-season preparations), the club must pay 50 000 euros every six months to his manager, until the end of the current contract. It's a clause in his contract...

I read the article.. So Red Star, a club who hasn't paid its players properly for a really long time now, is not going to give a player a chance because his contract "isn't clear"? A little hypocritical maybe??

Red Star is a club in crisis, run by some very dodgy people so the sooner Babalj gets out the better. Should never have went there to begin with.. Former coach Prosinecki was his only hope but left because the board were interfering with his job. Prosinecki was openly lending his own players money so they could feed themselves and their families..

Not expecting Babalj to be at MHFC though..

Edited by kontra.11

I'm not quite sure how to explain current situation to you, but I'll do my best...

Serbian web portal www.mondo.rs has discovered some details about Eli's contract. As I already said earlier, Red Star agreed to sign Babalj for 350 000 euros. We paid you 200 000 euros in August (or late September, I'm not sure) and remaining 150 000 should have been paid in January. 18th seems to be the deadline.

But, if Red Star fail to pay that amount, your club can re-sign him. So...you could get a massive boost in your team.

If Red Star decide to keep him (not likely, as our coach didn't invite him to mid-season preparations), the club must pay 50 000 euros every six months to his manager, until the end of the current contract. It's a clause in his contract...

What an odd contract situation, as they've already shelled out 200000 for him. Any more details? Or a possible English link?

I read the article.. So Red Star, a club who hasn't paid its players properly for a really long time now, is not going to give a player a chance because his contract "isn't clear"? A little hypocritical maybe??

Red Star is a club in crisis, run by some very dodgy people so the sooner Babalj gets out the better. Should never have went there to begin with.. Former coach Prosinecki was his only hope but left because the board were interfering with his job. Prosinecki was openly lending his own players money so they could feed themselves and their families..

Not expecting Babalj to be at MHFC though..

I assume you're a Serb or Croat so you are familiar more or less with our situation.

Our coach can't give him a chance because we'll pay him almost a million and, to be honest, he is not going to repay us that money. We were knocked out of Europe in summer for the last five occasions, our coefficient is bad so we'll probably not reach Europe next season too. Championship title is far by miles, so we're in desperate situation, we're in debts, not winning titles and not playing Europe. We simply can't keep him.