Melbourne Football

2012/2013 MH starting 11, subs and coaches based on confirmed appointments / contracted players only

Torn Asunder

You seem to be a Barca fan

Nah just a big Alex Song Bilong fan.

Put Mate and Willo down for 5 each, Thomo down for about the same, a couple each from Fred, Germano, Garcia and Grella and the odd goal from a defender or sub... thats roughly 40+ goals.

We should be alright, we are creating enough, just need some composure.

Yeah, I think if anything our midfield scores more than other teams in the league bar Roar (Don't have any numbers to back me up). Come to think of it, Babalj only scored 9 last season so 15 between Tadic/Macallister could be enough to improve on last season.

From what I saw on Sunday, I don't think many goals will be scored with both D-Mac & Tadic on the park. I think we should start D-Mac (who from the first few games has shown a good work rate), who will tire out the opposition backline and then bring on Tadic at about the 60/70 minute mark (Obviously depending on score). Would also like to see Mate play closer to goal when Tadic is on.

• Like 1

Players we have for each position:

GK: Bolton, Redmayne

RB: Marrone

CB: Colosimo, Gerhardt, Gray, Vrankovic

LB: Behich

DM: Thompson, Grella, Garcia

AM: Fred, Germano, Kalmar

LW: Williams, Garuccio

CF: Tadic, Macallister, Hoffman

RW: Dugandzic, Mebrahtu

Doesn't really show our depth fully. A lot of these players are quite versatile and can play in a number of positions easily.

People saying Mate is a certain starter, considering the strength we have in every position I don't think any one is a certainty.

One thing u can be fairly certain of is that with D Mac and hopefully Tadic their will be more chances for the Wingers to score goals as they will be laying it of more than Eli did...

Eli had an immense amount of Raw Talent, he was probably just a bit too aware of his talent sometimes IMO.

Aloisi might be forced to shift to a 4-4-2 tbh, with 6 mids that would likely earn a starting 11 place in most HAL sides.

I know the 4-4-2 worked the well in patches last season with Mate playing as a SS, off Eli.

I think our best XI on paper would be:

Bolton

Marrone - Gerhardt - Colosimo - Behich

Grella

Thompson --------------- Garcia

Fred

Dugandzic

Macallister

Bench: Redmayne - Vrankovic - Germano/Williams - Tadic/Williams

This allows Garcia to own the left side, and gives Aziz the room to advance. Mate would play that slightly right-sided SS role he played last season. The only down side is, there is simply no room for Willo to start in this formations, with all bases covered on that left flank.

Edited by LR9

I recon we should go

D-Mac

Williams-Fred-Garcia-Dugandzic

Marrone-Grella-Behich

Colosimo-Bolton-Gerhardt

I reckon a false-inverted 4-3-3 with Bolton leading the line and D-Mac as our no 1? What do you guys think? Colosimo flying down the right wing...would also keep him out of mischief in terms of handling the ball in our 18 yard box.

I recon we should go

D-Mac

Marrone-Grella-Behich

Colosimo-Bolton-Gerhardt

I reckon a false-inverted 4-3-3 with Bolton leading the line and D-Mac as our no 1? What do you guys think? Colosimo flying down the right wing...would also keep him out of mischief in terms of handling the ball in our 18 yard box.

yeah mate awesome! ring the club now!

i think we should do similar to what Argentina did in their last WCQ.

let the front 3 or 4 drift in the final third and selected players have roles... they either support or sit back and defend.

ie.

Bolton

Marrone (supports) - Gerhardt (sits) - Colosimo (sits) - Behich (Attacks)

Grella (sits) - Garcia (sits)

Fred (Attacks)

Dugandzic (attacks)----------------- Williams (attacks)

D Mac (attacks)

i think we should do similar to what Argentina did in their last WCQ.

let the front 3 or 4 drift in the final third and selected players have roles... they either support or sit back and defend.

ie.

Bolton

Marrone (supports) - Gerhardt (sits) - Colosimo (sits) - Behich (Attacks)

Grella (sits) - Garcia (sits)

Fred (Attacks)

Dugandzic (attacks)----------------- Williams (attacks)

D Mac (attacks)

What is this? Football Manager?

• Like 2

I recon we should go

D-Mac

Marrone-Grella-Behich

Colosimo-Bolton-Gerhardt

Wit.

I recon we should go

D-Mac

Marrone-Grella-Behich

Colosimo-Bolton-Gerhardt

Jags_fan.gif

I think a 4-3-3 that can be switched to a defensive 4-2-3-1 would be awesome:

Bolton

Grella

Fred - Garcia

Dugandzic - DMac - Williams

Bolton

Garcia - Grella

Fred

Dugandzic - DMac - Williams

Bench: Redmayne, Germano, Thompson, Vrankovic, Tadic

To be honest, the more I look at the depth of the squad, if everyone is fit and in form, JA will have some selection headaches, although we are spread a bith thinly when it comes to CBs...

I would play the current formation and system (which is an improvement on last year) and continue to rotate midfielders. Fred, Grella, Thompson and Garcia are no spring chickens. If we try and play a system where we fit all of them on the park at once, all of the time, when we suffer inevitable injuries / suspensions the team would need to continually change formations to cover player losses.

This signing gives us great depth in midfield and hopefully allows JA the freedom not to overplay our midfielders to the point of injury. In my mind, there would be nothing wrong with Fred, Thompson, Grella, Germano and Garcia switching / changing, including off the bench (when all fit). All the great clubs have the ability to bring geniune midfield quality off the bench, and now that inlcudes us. Not sure there is another A-League club that would be able to bring a player into a game late, with quality of our top five midfielders.

Also, I dont think JA will play Thommo at CB - pre season he deliberately talked Matt up as a box-to-box midfielder. JA is not as strict on the CBs to play out as JVS was, and he is happy for the odd longball, or for the midfielders to drop back in pairs to try and play the ball out.

Now, with the team so strong, Heart can make a move on Victory in terms of grabbing some new supporters and stamping our authority as being the team to follow in Melbourne, especially with the current interested being generated by the marquee signings and the impending TV deal. We MUST start winning at home or we will miss out on a real oppurtunity to continue to build the club.

• 2 weeks later...

---------------------Bolton--------------------

-------------Gerhardt - Colosimo----------

-Marrone----------------------------Behich-

-------------Grella--------Thompson-------

-----Dugandzic----Fred-------Garcia-----

-------------------Macallister-----------------

Redmayne

Tadic

Germano

Williams

Kalmar

Gray

Mebrahtu

Garuccio

Vrankovic

Hoffman

^Sub choices

---------------------Bolton--------------------

-------------Gerhardt - Colosimo----------

-Marrone----------------------------Behich-

-------------Grella--------Thompson-------

-----Dugandzic-----Fred-------Garcia-----

-------------------Macallister-----------------

Redmayne

Tadic

Germano

Williams

Kalmar

Gray

Mebrahtu

Garuccio

Vrankovic

Hoffman

^Sub choices

I would send a message to the fans and players by playing the following:

Redmayne;

Gerhardt, Vrankovic, Gray, Behich;

Grella,

Garcia, Dugandzic;

Golly, Tadic, Garuccio.

And I wouldn't be afraid to play J. Walker, Petreski and Stipo.

We saw what Wellington could do with seven first-teamers out, and we can do the same.

What has Bolton done wrong? What has Tadic done right? 'Golly' and Grella aren't fit and Garrucio is away on International duty...

And why have you highlighted Walker, Petreski and Stipo as the three most likely contenders? Because others have?

BTW, 'Golly' is what the NYL coach and his teammates call him. Just thought I'd clear that up.

As for J. Walker, Petreski and Stipo, I do watch the youth team and I am capable of making my own judgements.

The rest of the post? Possibly idle banter? If those players aren't good enough for the A-League why were they signed?

Hopefully Thompson is fit for the match this week if not this will need changing.

Push Gerhardt up into DM did a good job following the shift this week, Gray to come in at CB

-------------------Bolton---------------------

Marrone-----Colosimo---Gray---Behich

------------Gerhardt---Thompson--------

-Dugandzic------Garcia------Mebrahtu-

---------------------Tadic--------------------

Sub Choices:

Redmayne

Hoffman

Kalmar

Williams

Fred(if fit)

Macallister(if fit)

Germano (if fit)

Edited by Hammerhead

• 3 weeks later...

With Duga out and the youths back?

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Colosimo - Behich

Gerhardt

Fred - Thompson

Williams - Tadic - Garcia

B: Redders, Mitchinson, Garrucio, Macalister.

Edit:

With Grella:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Behich

Grella

Fred - Thompson

B: Redders, Mitchinson, Garrucio, Macalister.

With Becks :lol::

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Behich

Grella

Beckham - Thompson

B: Redders, Mitchinson, Garrucio, Fred.

Edited by LR9

• 2 weeks later...