Melbourne Football

2012/2013 MH starting 11, subs and coaches based on confirmed appointments / contracted players only

Torn Asunder

Going on Aloisi's preferences, injuries and form:

Williams/Golgol------Tadic-----Dugandzic

-----Kalmar/Thompon-------Fred----------------

---------------------Garcia--------------------------

Behich----Colosimo----Gerhardt---Marrone

---------------------Bolton------------------

Bench

Redmayne

Macallister

Thompson/Kalmar

Vrankovic

Reserves

Hoffman

Williams/Golgol

Germano (injured)

Gray

IMO Kalmar should start in midfield alongside Garcia and Fred, so we don't have 3 30 year olds. Williams is about 50/50 with Golgol for LW based on what they've both shown preseason, but Williams might get the nod as Golgol appears to be RW by preference. We could sign a winger to take up a youth contract though, and given how no player holds down LW he could compete for a start like Zahra in our first season.

• Like 2

I think the squad is looking very good at this stage, but I think we could struggle a bit defensively. Behich and Marrone are great players but they really are quite attacking players for their position and all our central defenders are questionable at this stage, Colosimo has been disappointing, while the others are far from proven. Even the midfield is quite attacking minded.

• Like 1

We've gone from identifying a DM as our big priority to not really getting an experienced proven DM at all - with Gerhardt looking like playing at the back. I think a fit Grella would've been the dream signing, but not being able to get him, I suspect Garcia was the next best player available. I'm very happy to get him and I'm sure he's versatile and will fit in well into our midfield. But it does look like all our midfielders are naturally attacking.

I think part of what they're looking for is a very good distributor from the back - someone who can open up play with incisive passing, and who can hit a good long pass when needed. I don't think we've really had anyone with that ability before, and we often tend to knock it around a bit at the back before going back to Bolton to hoof it. It looks to me like Gerhardt has been instructed to try a lot of long passes in pre-season games so far. And maybe they think Garcia is good enough to fit into that sort of role too.

• Like 1

Don't forget that we have two more (youth) signings to make for the senior squad. I'll be brave and guess that one of these will be Ben Garrucio, who showed against Adelaide that he's pretty competent on the wing.

Even with 21 in the squad we have two more spaces should the need, or an opportunity to secure a good player, arise. And hopefully more note will be taken of our NYL players now that the squads will be integrated for training.

IMO we do have the players. My big question comes over our ability to manage our injuries so that we can put our best or near-best team on the park on a regular basis. With such a short season, we just can't afford players to be out of consideration for periods of weeks on end.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

as JW mentioned, the key this season is management of injuries and making sure we are able to field our best starting 11 almost every week. If you look at our best 11 in the last 2 season, it has actually been very good, the only problem was we hardly ever got to play those players together because we always had so many injuries.

I also think this season we'll end up signing a guest player (most likely a defender) over December/january and then if they perform well we'll have the space in the squad to sign the permanently

I think part of what they're looking for is a very good distributor from the back - someone who can open up play with incisive passing, and who can hit a good long pass when needed. I don't think we've really had anyone with that ability before, and we often tend to knock it around a bit at the back before going back to Bolton to hoof it. It looks to me like Gerhardt has been instructed to try a lot of long passes in pre-season games so far. And maybe they think Garcia is good enough to fit into that sort of role too.

Gerhardt looks to be very good at this from what I have seen so far.

We've gone from identifying a DM as our big priority to not really getting an experienced proven DM at all - with Gerhardt looking like playing at the back. I think a fit Grella would've been the dream signing, but not being able to get him, I suspect Garcia was the next best player available. I'm very happy to get him and I'm sure he's versatile and will fit in well into our midfield. But it does look like all our midfielders are naturally attacking.

We have not had a good distributor in the DM position unless you count Skoko. I was hoping JA was looking to fix this problem based on his original comments but it looks like we have not managed to get that quality passer to sit behind Fred.

The current playing list is strong and allows for good formation options, with both an ultra attacking / possession based formation (built around Tadic), OR a more traditional defensive structure (built around Mcallister).

The thing that irks me is the League's limitation on the number of substitutes (only 3 outfield players).

Ideally, you have a defender, midfielder, winger and striker all sitting on the bench.

With the need to potentially sub / rotate some of our ageing midfielders (in particular Fred / Garcia) to protect them from injury and to get the most out of them for the whole season, players selected as subs and the management of our substitutions will be a critical factor in terms of whether we have a successful season.

In this regard, I think our most important players for the season will be those who can play multiple positions and can be either shifted positionally during the game either as a starting player OR as a substitute ... i.e. Patrick G (CB, RB, LB DM), Germano, (RM / LM, Mid, CB), Thompson (Mid, CB, LB), Behich, (LB, LM), etc.

I would be interested to hear who people think our most servicable substitutes would be and also which players would be best suited to a poistional shift during a game.

I'd be happy to see Germano and Marrone swap between RB & DM depending on the way games are going. Germano is a quality crosser of the ball, something that Marrone isn't, whilst Marrone gives a bit more drive from midfield as well as some mongrel in the tackle. Also swapping our wingers during games should be done on a regular basis, having Mate cutting in on the left at times would be advantageous compared to crossing balls against the likes of Perth who relish in the ball being in the air. Also having Thompson able to come in at FB, midfield and on the wing is a huge benefit to our squad. Just have to hope Tadic is the proven 15 goal a season striker that we need to convert all the opportunities.

My ideal XI:

Bolton

Germano - Colosimo - Gerhardt - Behich

Marrone

Fred - Garcia

Dugandzic - Tadic - Williams

• Like 1

I'd be happy to see Germano and Marrone swap between RB & DM depending on the way games are going. Germano is a quality crosser of the ball, something that Marrone isn't, whilst Marrone gives a bit more drive from midfield as well as some mongrel in the tackle. Also swapping our wingers during games should be done on a regular basis, having Mate cutting in on the left at times would be advantageous compared to crossing balls against the likes of Perth who relish in the ball being in the air. Also having Thompson able to come in at FB, midfield and on the wing is a huge benefit to our squad. Just have to hope Tadic is the proven 15 goal a season striker that we need to convert all the opportunities.

My ideal XI:

Bolton

Germano - Colosimo - Gerhardt - Behich

Marrone

Fred - Garcia

Yes, I would think that may be the first choice team with Thommo on the bench to plug gaps when needed and Germano starting in the middle of the park. I can't see Marrone getting much game time in midfield. Williams is the most iffy selection.

Bolton

Marrone - Colosimo - Gerhardt - Behich

Germano

Fred - Garcia

Edited by Rellum

Yes, I would think that may be the first choice team with Thommo on the bench to plug gaps when needed and Germano starting in the middle of the park. I can't see Marrone getting much game time in midfield. Williams is the most iffy selection.

Bolton

Germano

Fred - Garcia

Yes, I think you're getting close with that line-up. Except for Williams. Regrettably, I just don't think Willo has it anymore. IMO left wing remains our weakest link. I hope we sign Garrucio and/or can fit Del Solar in somehow (issue of nationality). These young guys have a bit of trickery in their feet and can cross the ball and give us some variety up front.

-----------------Bolton-------------------------

-----------Germano-- Garcia-----------

--------------------Fred --------------------

--Dugandzic --- Tadic---- Gol Gol --

bench;

Thompson, Gray, McA, Williams

this would be my perferred line up.

gol gol has shown more improvement in the pre season then williams IMO

Edited by borris

Forgeting about what I want as long as all players are fit this is what I reckon our starting line up in round one will look like from what we are hearing from the coaching staff.

(The most likely change being Williams for Gol Gol.)

----------------- Bolton-------------------------

--------------------Garcia--------------------

-----------Fred-- Thompson -----------

--Dugandzic --- Tadic---- Gol Gol --

bench;

Germano, Vrankovic, McA, Williams

Yes, I think you're getting close with that line-up. Except for Williams. Regrettably, I just don't think Willo has it anymore. IMO left wing remains our weakest link. I hope we sign Garrucio and/or can fit Del Solar in somehow (issue of nationality). These young guys have a bit of trickery in their feet and can cross the ball and give us some variety up front.

Yeah, I am hoping we get that much needed wide man with our youth signings. I can see one of either Williams or Gol Gol disappearing into obscurity by the end of the season.

I am happy with the last 5 or so options. It shows the depth we have and I have moved from being rather negative about the squad when we released so many players at the end of last season (although I still think we could have given those players a better send off) to being confident going into this season.

I am happy with the last 5 or so options. It shows the depth we have and I have moved from being rather negative about the squad when we released so many players at the end of last season (although I still think we could have given those players a better send off) to being confident going into this season.

This is professional football a Rutger Worm testimonal was not required.

• Like 1

No, but perhaps a chance to say well done (eg. Terra) or hope it works out well (eg. Sarkies etc.) would have been nice.

We were able to say goodbye to Gerald Sibon, John Aloisi and Josip Skoko in a way that I for one will not forget, thanks to those magnificent Yarraside banners and the atmosphere on that day.

As a club and supporters we should be big enough to say thankyou to all our departing players. Hope that we can find the way to do this in the future.

We were able to say goodbye to Gerald Sibon, John Aloisi and Josip Skoko in a way that I for one will not forget, thanks to those magnificent Yarraside banners and the atmosphere on that day.

As a club and supporters we should be big enough to say thankyou to all our departing players. Hope that we can find the way to do this in the future.

I was ball boy in that game! :P (i was able to do it even though im outside the age limit :ph34r: )

IMO the way Shroj left wasnt too flashy... (which is ironic, since he's The Graceful One.)

BAck on topic, we could start with a 3-5-2 to cover for our lack of a left winger. It is a bit defensive but I have the feeling that is how JA will want to play.

Bolton

Colosimo Gerhardt Grey

Marrone Germano Behich

Fred Thommo

Mate Tadic

No Garcia?

The above point is one very valid...

And two from everything I have read and heard I have seen no indication that JA is going to use such a formation...

By the way people Garcia is a winger, but because of his passing abilities he can play as a midfielder. He would be however best used in a wide attacking role.

Something like this:

Bolton

Marrone Gray Gerhardt Behich

Thompson--Germano

Fred

Dugandzic Tadic Garcia

Surely Colosimo will get the nod before Gray or Gerhardt ? Edit: i haven't seen them play yet

I haven't seen Garcia yet, but looking at his history I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't at least give him a run on the wing. This is an Australian international who's had plenty of experience in that position with Hull City both in the EPL and the Championship, and prima facie seems a bit silly of us to sign him and then play him in a different position? Isn't as if we're overloaded with stand-out wingers is it?

As for Steven Gray - I have seen more of Gerhardt than Gray but I've liked what I've seen of Gray. Gerhardt strikes me as a bit impetuous at times and he has an unimpressive yellow card record, whereas Gray seems pretty controlled and reads the play very well. He's a left-footer as well and that adds a dimension to our play.

• Like 1

BAck on topic, we could start with a 3-5-2 to cover for our lack of a left winger. It is a bit defensive but I have the feeling that is how JA will want to play.

Bolton

Colosimo Gerhardt Grey

Marrone Germano Behich

Fred Thommo

Mate Tadic

No Garcia?

JA would probably pick him. I wouldn't.

I am seriously confused, I thought u had a "feeling" on what our line up would be... :blink:

I think its fairly obv that if JA and JD keep speaking about Garcia as a DM that is where he will be tried, obv with the small benchs and small squads of A League we are going to see him prob on the wing at some time or other...

Edited by cadete

---------------------Bolton--------------------

-------------Gerhardt - Colosimo----------

-Marrone----------------------------Behich-

---------------------------Thompson--------

--------------Germano ----------------------

------------------------Fred-------------------

--Digandzic------------------------Garcia--

----------------------Tadic--------------------

Redmayne

Kalmar

Macallister

Gray

Williams

Mebrahtu

Vrankovic

Hoffman

^Sub choices

Edited by Keeper
  • Like 1

I am seriously confused, I thought u had a "feeling" on what our line up would be... :blink:

I think its fairly obv that if JA and JD keep speaking about Garcia as a DM that is where he will be tried, obv with the small benchs and small squads of A League we are going to see him prob on the wing at some time or other...

I am just throwing out ideas for discussion and a bit of fun, that is not how I expect us to line up.

Bolton

Marrone Gray colisimo behich

Gerhardt

Germano Fred

Mate Tadic. Garcia

Subs

Redmayne, Mcallister, thomson, Williams

Would be my ideal starting xi going into the season. Obviously can't make any real call on who to partner sc at cb as never seen vrankovic, gerhardt or Gray play. But grays experience sounds far more appealing than vrankovics inexperience and gerhardt being signed as a dm then suddenly being called a cb.

If Garcia is supposedly going to play centrally then Williams can slot in to left wing despite my reservations about him in that position and gerhardt to the bench.

Players like gol gol, vrankovic, kalmar will be relying on poor form and injuries to get game time.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 1

Just reading through the latest 4-4-2 which has an A-League preview. Their verdict on Heart is that we have a weaker squad than last season and will do well to sneak into the finals.....

Underdog status achieved. Bring on game 1

Alot of people have said that because we got rid of a bunch of fringe players and bench warmers, the reality is we only lost Babalj out of our starting 11

Alot of people have said that because we got rid of a bunch of fringe players and bench warmers, the reality is we only lost Babalj out of our starting 11

And Shroj - But your right we have recruited well/have the cover for his position in Gerhardt, Garcia, Germano...

PPL are probably making a lot more out of the Good and Hamill sales than should as fair as impact on the team as these guys were brought more on their great potential rather than what they provided the side last season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Probably another thing counting against us in these assessments is the complete change in our coaching team. But IMO JA is such a positive person that this is actually a change in our favour.

Our starting eleven is pretty competitive. A lot is going to depend on keeping our best team on the field and not having key players out for weeks with seemingly minor injuries.